Re: How control points are determined in bracketed shots using PTGUI

  • erik leeman
    Message 1 of 26 , Dec 2, 2007
      I don't think Carel intended to say anything negative about the
      360Precision at all Matt, the way I read it is more like "even a
      panohead as good as the 360Precision cannot do its job properly on a
      carpet", and I think he is perfectly right about that.
      You need to use spiked tripod legs on surfaces like thick carpets or
      soft soil and push them down really hard. When you can't do that
      because of possible damage to the carpet you should at least make your
      tripod as heavy as possible. Flexing wooden floors have been a serious
      problem for me as well, standing as far away from the tripod legs as
      possible helps, a motorized panohead rotator and/or a wireless remote
      shutter release would be ideal for this.

      Regards,

      erik leeman

      (www.erikleeman.com)
    • Hans Nyberg
      Message 2 of 26 , Dec 2, 2007
        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Matthew Rogers <matthew@...> wrote:

        > Hi Carel,
        >
        > I normally try and stay out of these debates but making such a broad
        > sweeping statement about the 360Precision head is simply not
        > acceptable.

        Matt,
        Carel is in no way saying anything about the precision of the 360precision.

        He just says that there are other factors which can very easy change this precision.

        I just did a very simple test.
        My floor is standard 22mm plates with a carpet on and I placed my large heavy Manfrotto
        tripod 058 on it.
        I took a monopod and fastened it at a stable shelf 1,5 m from the tripod and moved it
        until it almost touched the top of the tripod vertical pole.

        The movement when walking around as you would normally do for taking the panorama
        was 1mm.
        That means that you get different pitches on the images and using template stitching will
        give you errors.
        And that has nothing to do with the panohead.

        You say the same yourself below so why are you complaining.

        Hans

        One thing I've learnt whilst dealing with thousands of

        Message 3 of 26 , Dec 2, 2007
          On Sunday, December 02, 2007 at 11:44, erik leeman wrote:

          > Flexing wooden floors have been a serious
          > problem for me as well, standing as far away from the tripod legs as
          > possible helps, a motorized panohead rotator and/or a wireless remote
          > shutter release would be ideal for this.

          ...or simply the self timer of the camera. 10 seconds should be
          enough to walk away from the tripod and eventually even close the
          door behind you...

          best regards
        • erik leeman
          Message 4 of 26 , Dec 2, 2007
            Sorry, but that wouldn't help much because you'd have to approach and
            leave the camera for every single shot. Every move you make can (and
            will) disturb the position of the camera under such circumstances.
            Because the combined center of gravity of the camera + panohead is
            never aligned with the vertical axis of rotation of the tripod some
            displacement will always occur when the tripod is not stable enough,
            therefore even a remotely controlled rotator might not prevent errors
            completely.

            Regards,

            erik leeman

            (www.erikleeman.com)
          • Matthew Rogers
            Message 5 of 26 , Dec 2, 2007
              Hi Hans,

              I do realise the context or Carel's statement but I'm sick of wasting
              my time defending comments made on forums and email lists that
              ultimately have nothing to do with our products. My new tactic is to
              clarify any comments when and where they're made. Hopefully I won't
              have to explain to 20 people individually that you can in-fact use a
              360precision set-up on carpet. A lot of the time people don't realise
              how highly regarded comments on lists like this are taken, whether
              they're correct or not.

              The thing is Hans, you may realise what Carel meant. Believe me
              though, there are a lot of people that will take his statement to mean
              you can't use 360Precision with a template when shooting on carpet and
              this is b.s.

              Like I said, if you guys are having problems don't blame the head or
              the carpet, blame your set-up or technique. Personally I've shot
              hundreds of locations for real estate tours with 1-2 templates and
              have not noticed any major problems. And I've shot rooms with carpet,
              tiles, floorboards, slate, glass, I've even shot in swimming pools and
              hot tubs.

              A large part of this comes down to understanding how precise you
              actually need to be when shooting.

              Matt

              Message 6 of 26 , Dec 2, 2007
                On Sunday, December 02, 2007 at 12:39, erik leeman wrote:

                > Sorry, but that wouldn't help much because you'd have to approach and
                > leave the camera for every single shot.

                I don't see that as pessimistic as you. Although it won't help under
                certain circumstances, it might well help to use a self timer and
                walk away under other ones - f.e. in case of an elastic wooden floor.

                And there certainly are other possibilities, like f.e. to weigh the
                tripod down by hanging a heavy bag under it etc...

                BTW.: I (and many others too) would appreciate if you quote what you
                refer to. It makes reading of an answer much easier if the context is
                known. For details please see:

                best regards

              • Keith Martin
                Message 7 of 26 , Dec 2, 2007
                  Sometime around 2/12/07 (at 12:54 +0000) Matthew Rogers said:

                  >I've shot rooms with carpet,
                  >tiles, floorboards, slate, glass, I've even shot in swimming pools and
                  >hot tubs.

                  Interesting list!
                  My personal more extreme shooting environments so far have been the
                  sea (meaning the shore, not the deeps), on rickety scaffolding
                  boards, deep mud, and in the middle of hard-core dance festival
                  crowds. At times those last two were together. And yes, the bottom of
                  my tripod legs *are* still just a bit muddy.
                  I've also shot from a paraglider, but no tripod or head was involved there. ;-)

                  I wonder what other extreme conditions people have been in when
                  shooting panos? Probably some would put my examples to shame!

                  Anyway, thanks to the head and a modicum of care, some of the pano
                  shots from festivals were exceptionally successful. One was used for
                  the cover of my recent CS3 Integration book.

                  My Absolute head is solid.
                  My tripod is also solid, although I do wish I had a lighter one.
                  If the surface my tripod is on isn't solid, then I need to watch for
                  this and also be ready to deal with this afterwards when stitching.
                  Basic common sense.

                  I try to avoid introducing instability as I walk around the tripod,
                  but there are times when this can't be avoided entirely, solid
                  head/tripod or not. And that's what control points in PTGui help to
                  counteract.

                • Sacha Griffin
                  Message 8 of 26 , Dec 2, 2007
                    Ideally, you should NOT be trying to optimize your lens every single time
                    you shoot.

                    You should do your optimization one time, in an ideal environment. HDR is
                    unnecessary for this step.

                    1 set of images around with excellently placed control points, will optimize
                    your lens and your template.

                    Then you only need to apply this template to ANY other shooting situation if
                    you're using the almighty precision head.

                    You only need 3-4 cps per image set for stitching, with an already optimized
                    lens. And I have always assumed.. 0 cps with the precision head.

                    One should only need to attempt cp's across and hdr set with an uncalibrated
                    lens, a wobbly head, handheld shots, head without accurate detents, when
                    you're unsure about your template, etc.

                    When looking at your ptgui project, you'll find many cps that are not
                    optimized/used.

                    Sacha Griffin
                    www.southern-digital.com
                    www.seeit360.net
                    www.ezphotosafe.com
                    404-551-4275
                    404-731-7798

                    I understand what you and others have said about the over and under
                    exposed images not having enough control points, however shouldnt the
                    first image of a bracketed set, the metered image, be able to
                    generate sufficient control points?

                    Would it make any difference to give the user the option to only use
                    control points from the metered shot whaterv order it is in ? eg. 0,-
                    ,+ or -,0,+ etc just to take the 0 and use that as a model? Then
                    perhaps give the user the option to over ride the master image in
                    case like you say the image is deleted.

                    Thank you for your information! 3am time for bed.

                    KieranMullen

                    "Erik Krause" <erik.krause@...>
                    wrote:

                    > On Saturday, December 01, 2007 at 3:27, verifone411 wrote:
                    >
                    > > Thus only the first image should get control points generated. The
                    > > images images do within the bracketed set do not need control
                    points

                    > Because in over- and underexposed areas there are no control points
                    > possible. I suspect one shoots HDR because there is a large dynamic
                    > range. If one side of the first image of a bracketed set is
                    > completely overexposed but the other isn't, PTGui needs to use the
                    > darker images instead to generate relevant CPs. But on the darker
                    one
                    > the other side might be underexposed, hence the control points from
                    > the first image are needed...
                    >
                    > You could argue that it would be sufficient to generate CPs in
                    other
                    > but the first image only if in the first one there weren't relevant
                    > ones. But if the user decides to unlink images after that, there
                    are
                    > no control points in lots of images. I guess that is why Joost
                    > decided to create CPs for all of them, even if they are linked...
                    >
                    > > from example 0 & 7 (why cant we start at 1?)
                    >
                    > For historical reasons: C programmers always start counting with 0.
                    > ;-)
                    >
                    > Best regards
                    > --
                    > http://www.erik- <http://www.erik-krause.de> krause.de

                  • Carel
                    Message 9 of 26 , Dec 2, 2007
                      Matthew Rogers-2 wrote:

                      > Hi Carel,
                      >
                      > I normally try and stay out of these debates but making such a broad
                      > sweeping statement about the 360Precision head is simply not
                      > acceptable. One thing I've learnt whilst dealing with thousands of
                      > photographers over the past 3-4 years is experience means nothing.
                      > Just because someone has been involved in panoramic photography since
                      > it's inception doesn't mean they actually know what they're talking
                      > about. In-fact it quite often means there so stuck in their ways that
                      > they're not willing to accept change.

                      Hi Matt,

                      I made a simple observation that one should not try to figure out what is
                      going on with mis-aligned control points by doing a test on a carpet. You
                      can use the universe's best pano head and it will still not make a
                      difference as the errors caused by movement of the carpet & floor will be
                      much bigger. It is not that hard to shoot a pano in such circumstances, but
                      any reasonably decent panohead will do. I have had many situations where I
                      wished I had a 360Precision, but a carpeted floor would not have been one of
                      those. The reason that I have not bought a 360Precision yet is that I use
                      two cameras and 3 lenses and often decide on the spot which one I will use.
                      It is not that I am stuck in my ways, as you opine, it's that I so often use
                      different setups, while the 360Precision only allows one.

                      Carel Struycken

                    • 360 Precision
                      Message 10 of 26 , Dec 2, 2007
                        Hi Carel,

                        Your email proves my point. We launched our fully adjustable
                        precision head over 12 months ago, so why not buy one of those ? I
                        just don't know why you have so much trouble shooting panos on
                        carpet ? I can understand shooting on 10mm pile carpet but we ain't
                        living in the 70s.

                        Matt

                        > Hi Matt,
                        >
                        > I made a simple observation that one should not try to figure out
                        > what is
                        > going on with mis-aligned control points by doing a test on a
                        > carpet. You
                        > can use the universe's best pano head and it will still not make a
                        > difference as the errors caused by movement of the carpet & floor
                        > will be
                        > much bigger. It is not that hard to shoot a pano in such
                        > circumstances, but
                        > any reasonably decent panohead will do. I have had many situations
                        > where I
                        > wished I had a 360Precision, but a carpeted floor would not have
                        > been one of
                        > those. The reason that I have not bought a 360Precision yet is that
                        > I use
                        > two cameras and 3 lenses and often decide on the spot which one I
                        > will use.
                        > It is not that I am stuck in my ways, as you opine, it's that I so
                        > often use
                        > different setups, while the 360Precision only allows one.
                        >
                        > Carel Struycken
                      • Carel
                        Message 11 of 26 , Dec 2, 2007
                          Matthew Rogers-2 wrote:

                          > Hi Carel,
                          >
                          > Your email proves my point. We launched our fully adjustable
                          > precision head over 12 months ago, so why not buy one of those ? I
                          > just don't know why you have so much trouble shooting panos on
                          > carpet ? I can understand shooting on 10mm pile carpet but we ain't
                          > living in the 70s.
                          >
                          > Matt

                          Matt,

                          Why do you keep mis-interpreting what I say? I have no trouble shooting
                          panos on a carpet. I regularly shoot from a 6m hand held pole that sways in
                          the wind (another scenario where a 360Precision would not be of much use).
                          There are situations where I wish for a template-able panohead like the
                          360Precision, but nowhere on your website have I found information that the
                          Precision Adjuste is template-able.

                          Carel

                        • Keith Martin
                          Message 12 of 26 , Dec 2, 2007
                            Prickles all 'round, eh?

                            Personally, I find Carel's various posts to be very interesting (the
                            Mt. Wilson Observatory object movie was wonderful!), and I find
                            Matt's products to be superb. And you both give great advice. For me,
                            the disagreements and the rest aren't important. I just put it down
                            to the kind of free-thinking individualist that gets into panorama
                            creation... :-)

                            Carel, I'm about to test an Adjuste, as soon as I finish marking some
                            MA dissertations. I haven't tried it yet, but I have examined it
                            carefully. Yes, it should be every bit as template-able as the
                            Absolute. You'd just need to note down or mark the right positions
                            for your different combinations of camera/lens equipment.
                            Here's a pre-test assessment if you want one: It is a serious
                            investment to make, but I reckon it'd let you have your cake and eat
                            it too.

                            But don't go using it on trampolines, ok? (sorry, silly joke ;-)

                            Keith Martin
                            Author, Creative Suite 3 Integration (Focal Press)
                            Senior Lecturer in Publishing, LCC (University of the Arts, London)
                            Technical Editor, MacUser magazine
                            design, programming, VR photography, consultancy

                            http://www.thesmallest.com
                            iChat/AIM & Skype ThatKeith
                          • verifone411
                            Message 13 of 26 , Dec 4, 2007
                              For those having issues with panos on carpet and flexing wooden floors..

                              Is it a matter of not finding any auto stich points?

                              Are you use ing PTGUi? if so does it rate it ias very good, good, bad
                              very bad etc...

                              Thank you

                              Kieran
                              Message 14 of 26 , Dec 4, 2007
                                On Sunday, December 02, 2007 at 12:47, Sacha Griffin wrote:

                                > When looking at your ptgui project, you'll find many cps that are not
                                > optimized/used.

                                Yes, of course. That are those between images inside a linked set -
                                as long as this set stays linked. They get used as soon as you unlink
                                the images and optimize again. This might be necessary sometimes if
                                you discover that there are HDR merging errors between those
                                images...

                                best regards
                              • PanoToolsNG.10.m8@spamgourmet.com
                                Message 15 of 26 , Dec 4, 2007
                                  I think the reference to carpets and flexing wooden floors, is regarding
                                  using a fixed PTGui template and pin registered panohead giving the
                                  (possible) ability to not need optimising.
                                  ie. Load images into a pre-prepared ptgui template and just stitch. So, no
                                  cp's and no optimising.
                                  (you 'do' have to follow a fairly rigourous set of repeatable rules for this
                                  to work well)

                                  In general carpet and wooden floors etc. are not a problem when you are
                                  going to insert cp's and optimise.
                                  (unless there is something 'very' close to the camera :-)

                                  Cheers,
                                  Darren.

                                  )