Re: PTgui -- why doesnt it just use RAM?

  • Hans Nyberg
    Message 1 of 19 , Dec 1, 2007
      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "AYRTON - avi" <avi@...> wrote:

      > On 12/1/07, Hans Nyberg <hans@...> wrote:
      >

      > > In PTGui Preferences/Plugins write: -m 3000 in the command line parameters
      >
      > Thanks
      > and sorry but can someone point me to where could I learn that ???
      > I mean, how I would know that by myself ???

      http://enblend.sourceforge.net/
      Has all the commandline parameters

      But I think PTGui should have a little more about it on the tutorial page.
      http://www.ptgui.com/plugins.html

      As far as I know there are some commands prebuilt into PTGui at least the parameter for
      blending around the 360 degree wrap.

      Hans
    • AYRTON - avi
      Message 2 of 19 , Dec 1, 2007
        THANKS !!!!

        ayrton

        On 12/1/07, Hans Nyberg <hans@...> wrote:
        > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "AYRTON - avi" <avi@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > On 12/1/07, Hans Nyberg <hans@...> wrote:
        > >

        > > > In PTGui Preferences/Plugins write: -m 3000 in the command line parameters
        > >
        > > Thanks
        > > and sorry but can someone point me to where could I learn that ???
        > > I mean, how I would know that by myself ???
        > >

        > http://enblend.sourceforge.net/
        > Has all the commandline parameters
        >
        > But I think PTGui should have a little more about it on the tutorial page.
        > http://www.ptgui.com/plugins.html
        >
        > As far as I know there are some commands prebuilt into PTGui at least the parameter for
        > blending around the 360 degree wrap.
        >

        > Hans

        AYRTON 21-9982.6313 www.ayrton.com
        Ladeira de Nossa Senhora, 214 / sl. 101 www.vrfolio.com
        Outeiro da Glória - RJ - 22211-100 - Brasil www.vr-images.com
        Panoramas do Rio de Janeiro www.rio360.com.br
      • Charlie Hubbard
        Message 3 of 19 , Dec 1, 2007
          > here in Brazil RAM is getting very cheap everyday too
          > I remember the first MAC I use in the 90's and the price was 1 dolar
          > for each 1mb :-(

          Yes it still amazes me how cheap computer equipment has become. There
          seems to be no end. I'm a bit older than you, I think. I got my first
          computer around 1979 or 1980. RAM cost 200 dollars (US) for 16 kilobytes
          (but dropped to $100 for 16kB before the thing was completely obsolete).
          And prices have been plummeting ever since. I remember when the first
          1GB hard disks came out. They were big, noisy, power hungry, and very
          expensive. I remember thinking at the time "How could I ever possibly
          use up an entire gigabyte?!" I knew a guy who had one. He had it
          partitioned into 16 or so logical drives to keep the file system's block
          size reasonably small. Today it's pretty routine to have single files
          larger than 1GB. I remember getting a 3GB external SCSI drive out at
          work in the early 90's. We had it sitting on a typing table next to the
          computer. It was a monster. The table actually shook when the drive
          was spinning up. Today I carry an 8GB thumb drive in my pocket. Who
          can forget Bill Gates' 1983 quote "Nobody will ever need more than 640
          kB of RAM." Today even modest computers have 1- or 2,000 times that
          much RAM. I remember when 640x480 reigned supreme and JPGs were
          extremely annoying because it took SO DAMN LONG for them to decode.
          Times have changed. It will be interesting to see what the future holds.
        • panotools@360image.de
          Message 4 of 19 , Dec 1, 2007
            Hi Matt,

            > What I'm fairly certain of is that in the 5 hours it takes my dual core
            > 2GHz machine (2:30 minutes on Milko's speedtest) to stitch a 16bit
            > 11,000x5500 image, my CPU reads 5-10% most of the time and my disks are
            > not being accessed much of this time (and could write 1GB a few hundred
            > times in that time anyway, if that were truly the bottleneck).

            5 hours seems a bit excessive. Although, you work on a laptop which have
            low speed hdd usually.
            On your speedtest results you mention an external 500gig drive connected
            with USB2.
            Are you hosting the panorama project files and sources on that drive?
            And where are you sending your temp files to?

            Cheers, Milko
          • matt_nolan_uaf
            Message 5 of 19 , Dec 1, 2007
              Milko,

              I guess I need to do some further controlled tests, but as you know
              my machine performed your speed test at 2.5 minutes, which is
              comparable to others. Using the same configuration, a 11,000 x 5,500
              pix pano (7 images at 70 MB each) at 8 bit takes about 30-45 minutes
              to process (need to check). Going to 16 bit more than doubles it to
              5 hours or more (dont know, I always kill it first). But there could
              easily be something buggering up my system that has nothing to do
              with PTgui itself. Glad to hear that others are doing this much
              faster. Maybe we need another speed test -- one with a large file
              size, as there could be different issues associated with this?

              To all, yes, my laptop has tons of stuff loaded on it, and I have
              seen the light of buying a dedicated stitching box. But in
              researching the fastest hard drives, I read about hard disks built
              from RAM that plug into a standard SATA slot. These are not flash
              disks, but literally using RAM and I began thinking, why is there any
              disk access at all for a project that can fit into real RAM anyway?
              I'm still not sure why.

              In case others are interested, visit this page to learn about the
              apparent benefits of setting up two such RAM disks in RAID 0.
              http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/12/05/hyperos_dram_hard_drive_on_the_
              block/page6.html The big winner seems to be iRAM, which you can buy
              for about $140 for the card and up to 4 GB of cheap slow RAM (buying
              fast RAM doesnt help, because the cheap stuff is already maxing out
              the 1.5 GB/s SATA channel, and there is no 3.0GB/s disk yet
              apparently).

              For spherical fisheye stitching, where project needs are never higher
              than 3 or 4 GB max of scratch space, this could be the silver bullet
              that could get Milko's test down to near zero. These disks in RAID 0
              are apparently hundreds to thousands of times faster than Raptors or
              SAS!

              Another trick I've read about is called quarter stroking your disk.
              Apparently you can create a partition on a 7500 RPM disk such that
              the partition is only using the inner portion of the disk, so that
              the arm doesnt move so far. Doing this is apparently faster than
              using a 15k SAS disk, and much cheaper, and plus you still get the
              slow part of the disk to use for storage.

              So I'm beginning to think of a system like this:
              - XP 64 bit loaded onto a 16 GB flash disk
              - RAID 0 iRAM 2 GB disks for stitching fisheye sphericals
              - RAID 0 750 GB disks SATA II quarter stroked to provide about 375 GB
              of fast scratch space for gigapixel panos, with the rest (about 1TB)
              for storage.
              - eSATA external disks for backup

              My other constraint is that I work from home and live off the
              electrical grid. So these flash and RAM disks make great sense for
              me, as thinking of a computer with a 500W power supply give me the
              shudders...

              -Matt

              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "panotools@..." <panotools@...>
              wrote:

              > Hi Matt,
              > >

              > > What I'm fairly certain of is that in the 5 hours it takes my
              dual core
              > > 2GHz machine (2:30 minutes on Milko's speedtest) to stitch a 16bit
              > > 11,000x5500 image, my CPU reads 5-10% most of the time and my
              disks are
              > > not being accessed much of this time (and could write 1GB a few
              hundred
              > > times in that time anyway, if that were truly the bottleneck).
              > >
              > 5 hours seems a bit excessive. Although, you work on a laptop which
              have
              > low speed hdd usually.
              > On your speedtest results you mention an external 500gig drive
              connected
              > with USB2.
              > Are you hosting the panorama project files and sources on that
              drive?
              > And where are you sending your temp files to?
              >
              > Cheers, Milko

            • matt_nolan_uaf
              Message 6 of 19 , Dec 2, 2007
                I created a RAM disk using http://www.ramdisk.tk/, changed my scratch
                disk and write disk to the ram disk, and ran Milko's speed test and got
                exactly the same results -- 2 minutes 30 seconds. Wierd. How could it
                not be incredibly faster? My dual CPUs ran at 50%, with one near 100%
                and the other near idle; I checked the affinity for PTgui was set to
                both.

                -Matt

                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Bruno Postle <bruno@...> wrote:

                > On Sat 01-Dec-2007 at 22:28 -0000, matt_nolan_uaf wrote:
                > > To create a hi-res spherical, PTgui says 7 tiffs at 70MB each
                > > requires about 1GB of scratch disk -- if I have 4 GB of RAM, why
                > > does it need a disk at all except to save the final image?
                > > Wouldn't doing everything in RAM dramatically speed things up,
                > > especially since disk I/O seems to be the bottleneck?
                >
                > Good point, try setting up a 2GiB RAM disk for the scratch data and
                > see if that makes an improvement.
                >
                > --
                > Bruno

              • Joost Nieuwenhuijse
                Message 7 of 19 , Dec 2, 2007
                  This is because PTGui was already using RAM..

                  PTGui stores temporary data in temp files, but due to the OS's file
                  system caching, the files never really get written to disk but instead
                  they are cached in RAM. Only for large panoramas the OS will not have
                  enough cache memory and that's when the temporary files actually start
                  being written to disk.

                  This also means that PTGui should use all available RAM as long as the
                  OS is not doing anything else.

                  These 'stitching speed' questions are always difficult to answer since
                  there are so many factors that influence the speed.

                  Joost

                  matt_nolan_uaf wrote:
                  > I created a RAM disk using http://www.ramdisk.tk/, changed my scratch
                  > disk and write disk to the ram disk, and ran Milko's speed test and got
                  > exactly the same results -- 2 minutes 30 seconds. Wierd. How could it
                  > not be incredibly faster? My dual CPUs ran at 50%, with one near 100%
                  > and the other near idle; I checked the affinity for PTgui was set to
                  > both.
                  >
                  > -Matt
                  >

                  > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Bruno Postle <bruno@...> wrote:
                  >> On Sat 01-Dec-2007 at 22:28 -0000, matt_nolan_uaf wrote:
                  >>> To create a hi-res spherical, PTgui says 7 tiffs at 70MB each
                  >>> requires about 1GB of scratch disk -- if I have 4 GB of RAM, why
                  >>> does it need a disk at all except to save the final image?
                  >>> Wouldn't doing everything in RAM dramatically speed things up,
                  >>> especially since disk I/O seems to be the bottleneck?
                  >> Good point, try setting up a 2GiB RAM disk for the scratch data and
                  >> see if that makes an improvement.
                  >>
                  >> --
                  >> Bruno

                • Pat Swovelin
                  Message 8 of 19 , Dec 2, 2007
                    On 12/1/2007 3:44 PM, Hans Nyberg rambled on about ...:
                    > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "AYRTON - avi" <avi@...> wrote:
                    >> On 12/1/07, Hans Nyberg <hans@...> wrote:
                    >>
                    >>> The 11400x5700 16bit takes 31 minutes using PTguiWarp + Ptgui Blend.
                    >>>
                    >>> Using PTGuiWarp + Enblend with 3 GB Ram applied I get down to 19.20
                    >>> minutes.
                    >> Sorry I could NOT figure out HOW to aplly more RAM when using Enblend ???
                    >> Pls some directions will be appreciatted :-)
                    >> Thanks
                    >
                    > In PTGui Preferences/Plugins write: -m 3000 in the command line parameters

                    Is that also a good number for WinXP with 4GB RAM and the 3GB switch
                    flipped?

                    > If your mac and Enblend 3.0 behaves the same as mine enblend will
                    > crash after a while if
                    > you try to apply 3600 or more.
                    > How much Ram did you get?
                    > I just found out that I can update my G5 with 4 gb and get 8 in all
                    > for just $130.
                    > I guess I paid 4 btimes as much at least for the 4 GB I got when I
                    > bought the G5.
                    >
                    > Hans

                    Pat Swovelin
                    Cool Guy @ Large
                  • matt_nolan_uaf
                    Message 9 of 19 , Dec 4, 2007
                      This is because PTGui was already using RAM..

                      > PTGui stores temporary data in temp files, but due to the OS's file
                      > system caching, the files never really get written to disk but
                      instead
                      > they are cached in RAM. Only for large panoramas the OS will not
                      have
                      > enough cache memory and that's when the temporary files actually
                      start
                      > being written to disk.

                      I guess I'm missing something easy and fundamental. For fisheye
                      sperhical projects using only a GB or so, does this mean that using a
                      virtual RAM disk will have no benefit on any computer, not just my
                      slow, bloated one? Also, if everything is happening in RAM already
                      with a small stitch, why is there a hard disk bottleneck at all?

                      > This also means that PTGui should use all available RAM as long as
                      the
                      > OS is not doing anything else.
                      >
                      > These 'stitching speed' questions are always difficult to answer
                      since
                      > there are so many factors that influence the speed.

                      I bet. But I guess my interest in understanding the existing messy
                      hardware issues is so that I can purchase something that is optimized
                      for stitching, with a minimum of unknowns involved.

                      What I'm trying to decide at the moment is whether it's worth
                      investing in something like the iRAM disks, or whether virtual RAM
                      disks would do the same thing but better. These iRAM disks seem to
                      be an order of magnitude faster or more than the fastest spinning
                      disks. Any insights would be appreciated.

                      Thanks,
                      Matt
                    • Joost Nieuwenhuijse
                      Message 10 of 19 , Dec 4, 2007
                        matt_nolan_uaf wrote:
                        > This is because PTGui was already using RAM..
                        >> PTGui stores temporary data in temp files, but due to the OS's file
                        >> system caching, the files never really get written to disk but
                        > instead
                        >> they are cached in RAM. Only for large panoramas the OS will not
                        > have
                        >> enough cache memory and that's when the temporary files actually
                        > start
                        >> being written to disk.
                        >>

                        > I guess I'm missing something easy and fundamental. For fisheye
                        > sperhical projects using only a GB or so, does this mean that using a
                        > virtual RAM disk will have no benefit on any computer, not just my
                        > slow, bloated one?

                        If you have enough RAM, yes. Windows will effectively emulate a RAM disk
                        by means of file caching.

                        > Also, if everything is happening in RAM already
                        > with a small stitch, why is there a hard disk bottleneck at all?

                        For small panoramas there should not be a hard disk bottleneck, assuming
                        that disk caching is enabled for your temp drive (thanks to Bernhard for
                        pointing that out..)

                        > What I'm trying to decide at the moment is whether it's worth
                        > investing in something like the iRAM disks, or whether virtual RAM
                        > disks would do the same thing but better. These iRAM disks seem to
                        > be an order of magnitude faster or more than the fastest spinning
                        > disks. Any insights would be appreciated.

                        I think it will not make much difference, but the only way to find out
                        is by trying. But that could be an expensive experiment, I agree..

                        Joost
                      • Bernhard Vogl
                        Message 11 of 19 , Dec 5, 2007
                          > Another trick I've read about is called quarter stroking your disk.
                          > Apparently you can create a partition on a 7500 RPM disk such that
                          > the partition is only using the inner portion of the disk, so that
                          > the arm doesnt move so far. Doing this is apparently faster than
                          > using a 15k SAS disk, and much cheaper, and plus you still get the
                          > slow part of the disk to use for storage.

                          Well it's not as simple ;-) - "quarter stroking" *can* speed up head positioning as long as you don't use the other portions of the disk. But similar concepts are implemented in nearly every file system driver. E.g. the middle of the disk is used to store directory information and the data is arranged around it. Chunks of a file are stored near to each other as long as there's enough space left for an optimal placement. Only if the filesystem is nearly full, the chunks are placed non-optimal.
                          This is the reason why you never should fill a files system above approx 70%.
                          Another thing to point out: It's not the inner side of the disk which is the fastest, it's the outer side. The disk surface below the head has an higher speed here, so you can store more data in a given time than on the inner side.

                          Just in case i didn't already mention: I strongly suggest everyone who is not perfectly sure what he's doing to use a standard setup instead of tweaking the system. There are chances that the system become worse than before...

                          Best regards
                          Bernhard