Re: Enblend 3.0 memory problem

  • Hans Nyberg
    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 1, 2007
      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "AYRTON - avi" <avi@...> wrote:

      > On 12/1/07, Hans Nyberg <hans@...> wrote:
      >
      > > With PTGui you can get a 50% boost in speed by using Enblend 3.0 and with mostly
      the
      > > same identical blending result.
      > >

      > So Hans you're saying that it's probably a good idea to use it with my
      > ptgui pro instead of the 1.3 or the 2.5 version that I'm using now
      > ???
      If you have a new Intel machine it may be much larger than 50%

      Enblend 3.0 for Mac is universal.

      Here are some new speedtests I just made.

      MacBook Pro 2.16 dualcore 2gb ram
      Standard 5400 RPM Harddisc
      8 images Canon 5D + 15mm fisheye
      Full output 11500x5750
      Speedtest at 6000x3000 16 bit output as blended tif.

      PTGui Warp + PTGui Blend
      10 minutes (average of 3 times)

      PTGui Warp + Enblend with 1500 mb Ram applied
      4.40 minutes (average of 3 times)

      With a 7200 RPM disc both get a 20% boost
      The only major problem with Enblend is thelack of blending over the edge at zenith (and
      nadir of couse but thats not important.)
      This is only a problem with full fisheye 180 degree images without a zenith image.
      Or if you do multirow and take the top row images with blending over the zenith.

      This has been a known problem all years I have known Enblend. It could without doubt
      have been solved but this is an Open source project and nothing happens really.

      There is almost no activity around enblend development.

      The special 1.3 version which is very fast compared to the 2.5 is slower than 3.0.

      I have done tests on the full 11500 pixels output from the same project but only on my G5

      PTguiWarp + Blend 31 minutes
      PTGui Warp + Enblend 1.3 26 minutes
      PTGuiWarp + Enblend 3.0 19.20 minutes

      One of the main reason why PTgui is slower is the colorcorrection which is made together
      with its own blending. Especially with 16 bit images it increases the warp time with more
      than 100%
      When you export to Enblend it does just the warping.

      Message 2 of 18 , Dec 1, 2007
        On Saturday, December 01, 2007 at 21:06, Hans Nyberg wrote:

        > This has been a known problem all years I have known Enblend. It could
        > without doubt have been solved but this is an Open source project and
        > nothing happens really.

        As far as I heard Andrew Mihal got a job soon after he released
        version 3.0 and since then only the hugin community felt responsible
        for the project. However, remember the story of smartblend? Mike
        originally wanted to make it commercially available and no one was
        interested: http://www.panotools.org/mailarchive/msg/29296 If he gets
        a good job, smartblend will be lost to community, since the source
        code is not available, so be grateful enblend is at least open
        source.

        Could very well be enblend would never have been written if it was
        intended as a commercial project. So please instead of to nag about
        those lazy open source developers lets go ahead and encourage them to
        improve their programs not only by using them but by giving
        productive feedback and by supporting their efforts wherever
        possible. Especially you, Hans, shouldn't have been missing on the
        panotools google summer of code supporters list:
        http://wiki.panotools.org/SoC2007_Supporters

        may be next year...

        best regards
      • Eric O'Brien
        Message 3 of 18 , Dec 10, 2007
          Enblend can be found at <http://sourceforge.net/projects/enblend/>

          Compiled versions for Windows, plus source.

          Click "Download" and choose "Browse All Files." Then the page loads,
          scroll down a bit.

          The newest files in this package are dated January 27, 2007.

          MacPorts has version 2.5.

          Fink has a version called "3.0-11"

          eo