Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: Enblend 3.0 memory problem

  • AYRTON - avi
    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 1, 2007
      On 12/1/07, Hans Nyberg <hans@...> wrote:

      > With PTGui you can get a 50% boost in speed by using Enblend 3.0 and with mostly the
      > same identical blending result.

      So Hans you're saying that it's probably a good idea to use it with my
      ptgui pro instead of the 1.3 or the 2.5 version that I'm using now
      ???

      > Just take a look at Photoshop's autoblend feature which is even faster and with similar or
      > better results than Smartblend.

      On this the way to go is ask for a layers output from ptgui and them
      blend it using CS3 autoblend ???
      I've tried once and I did not like the result, but I'll give it another try.

      AYRTON

      > Hans

      AYRTON 21-9982.6313 www.ayrton.com
      Ladeira de Nossa Senhora, 214 / sl. 101 www.vrfolio.com
      Outeiro da Glória - RJ - 22211-100 - Brasil www.vr-images.com
      Panoramas do Rio de Janeiro www.rio360.com.br
    • Hans Nyberg
      Message 2 of 18 , Dec 1, 2007
        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "AYRTON - avi" <avi@...> wrote:

        > On 12/1/07, Hans Nyberg <hans@...> wrote:
        >
        > > With PTGui you can get a 50% boost in speed by using Enblend 3.0 and with mostly
        the
        > > same identical blending result.
        > >

        > So Hans you're saying that it's probably a good idea to use it with my
        > ptgui pro instead of the 1.3 or the 2.5 version that I'm using now
        > ???
        If you have a new Intel machine it may be much larger than 50%

        Enblend 3.0 for Mac is universal.

        Here are some new speedtests I just made.

        MacBook Pro 2.16 dualcore 2gb ram
        Standard 5400 RPM Harddisc
        8 images Canon 5D + 15mm fisheye
        Full output 11500x5750
        Speedtest at 6000x3000 16 bit output as blended tif.

        PTGui Warp + PTGui Blend
        10 minutes (average of 3 times)

        PTGui Warp + Enblend with 1500 mb Ram applied
        4.40 minutes (average of 3 times)

        With a 7200 RPM disc both get a 20% boost
        The only major problem with Enblend is thelack of blending over the edge at zenith (and
        nadir of couse but thats not important.)
        This is only a problem with full fisheye 180 degree images without a zenith image.
        Or if you do multirow and take the top row images with blending over the zenith.

        This has been a known problem all years I have known Enblend. It could without doubt
        have been solved but this is an Open source project and nothing happens really.

        There is almost no activity around enblend development.

        The special 1.3 version which is very fast compared to the 2.5 is slower than 3.0.

        I have done tests on the full 11500 pixels output from the same project but only on my G5

        PTguiWarp + Blend 31 minutes
        PTGui Warp + Enblend 1.3 26 minutes
        PTGuiWarp + Enblend 3.0 19.20 minutes

        One of the main reason why PTgui is slower is the colorcorrection which is made together
        with its own blending. Especially with 16 bit images it increases the warp time with more
        than 100%
        When you export to Enblend it does just the warping.

        Message 3 of 18 , Dec 1, 2007
          On Saturday, December 01, 2007 at 21:06, Hans Nyberg wrote:

          > This has been a known problem all years I have known Enblend. It could
          > without doubt have been solved but this is an Open source project and
          > nothing happens really.

          As far as I heard Andrew Mihal got a job soon after he released
          version 3.0 and since then only the hugin community felt responsible
          for the project. However, remember the story of smartblend? Mike
          originally wanted to make it commercially available and no one was
          interested: http://www.panotools.org/mailarchive/msg/29296 If he gets
          a good job, smartblend will be lost to community, since the source
          code is not available, so be grateful enblend is at least open
          source.

          Could very well be enblend would never have been written if it was
          intended as a commercial project. So please instead of to nag about
          those lazy open source developers lets go ahead and encourage them to
          improve their programs not only by using them but by giving
          productive feedback and by supporting their efforts wherever
          possible. Especially you, Hans, shouldn't have been missing on the
          panotools google summer of code supporters list:
          http://wiki.panotools.org/SoC2007_Supporters

          may be next year...

          best regards
        • Eric O'Brien
          Message 4 of 18 , Dec 10, 2007
            Enblend can be found at <http://sourceforge.net/projects/enblend/>

            Compiled versions for Windows, plus source.

            Click "Download" and choose "Browse All Files." Then the page loads,
            scroll down a bit.

            The newest files in this package are dated January 27, 2007.

            MacPorts has version 2.5.

            Fink has a version called "3.0-11"

            eo