Re: Enblend 3.0 memory problem

  • Hans Nyberg
    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 1, 2007
      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Bruno Postle <bruno@...> wrote:

      > >> Ok, try the one at the bottom of this page instead:
      > >>
      > >> http://homepage.mac.com/ippei_ukai/software/
      > >
      > >I believe that is the same as the one at Kekus.com.
      > >
      > >Both Created and modified 05/02/07
      >
      > I guess that is all there is, sorry for leading you on a fruitless
      > chase.

      Well Thanks anyway, at least I know the author now.
      I have to say I find it very weird that the development of a component like Enblend is
      taken care of by just a couple of people who just do it for fun.
      And it is even difficult for people without insight in it to find the download.

      Enblend is a vital part of both Stitcher and PTMac

      Stitcher is unusesable without Enblend or Smartblend. (Unless the last updater has done
      something revolutionary.) PTMac's own blender is of the same kind.

      With PTGui you can get a 50% boost in speed by using Enblend 3.0 and with mostly the
      same identical blending result.

      RealViz should pay at least 20% of each Stitcher sale to the developers of Enblend and
      Smartblend to keep making them even better.

      Just take a look at Photoshop's autoblend feature which is even faster and with similar or
      better results than Smartblend.

      Hans
    • dmgalpha
      Message 2 of 18 , Dec 1, 2007
        > Well Thanks anyway, at least I know the author now.
        > I have to say I find it very weird that the development of a
        component like Enblend is
        > taken care of by just a couple of people who just do it for fun.
        > And it is even difficult for people without insight in it to find
        the download.

        I find it weird that you find it weird. A lot of open source and free
        software is build in the spare time of their developers.

        I spent several hours today trying to compile the latest enblend under
        OS X. I now have an info file for fink and a tar source file with the
        latest CVS if anybody wants to compile it (and has a properly
        configured unstable branch of fink 10.4).

        --
        daniel m. german
        silvernegative.com
        Message 3 of 18 , Dec 1, 2007
          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "dmgalpha" <dmgerman@...> wrote:

          > I spent several hours today trying to compile the latest enblend under
          > OS X. I now have an info file for fink and a tar source file with the
          > latest CVS if anybody wants to compile it (and has a properly
          > configured unstable branch of fink 10.4).

          If I had any idea what you are talking about I suppose i would say that this sounds great.

          Hans
        • Yuval Levy
          Message 4 of 18 , Dec 1, 2007
            dmgalpha wrote:
            > I find it weird that you find it weird. A lot of open source and free
            > software is build in the spare time of their developers.

            unfortunately the spirit of open source is not immediately clear to
            people who have been educated to shell out hundreds of dollars for
            proprietary software.

            > I spent several hours today trying to compile the latest enblend under
            > OS X. I now have an info file for fink and a tar source file with the
            > latest CVS if anybody wants to compile it (and has a properly
            > configured unstable branch of fink 10.4).

            thanks for your contribution, Daniel. I have documented it on
            http://wiki.panotools.org/Hugin_Compiling_OSX

            those who have Macs out there - the developers of both hugin and enblend
            need your feedback. please take the time to read the above page and try
            to follow the instructions. if you bump into problems, they are most
            likely unknown to the developers and won't be fixed unless you
            communicate that the problems exist.

            don't expect much, though. since you are not paying for this, no open
            source contributor will feel obliged to reply to your requests.
            formulating them nicely might help.

            Yuv
          • AYRTON - avi
            Message 5 of 18 , Dec 1, 2007
              On 12/1/07, Hans Nyberg <hans@...> wrote:

              > With PTGui you can get a 50% boost in speed by using Enblend 3.0 and with mostly the
              > same identical blending result.

              So Hans you're saying that it's probably a good idea to use it with my
              ptgui pro instead of the 1.3 or the 2.5 version that I'm using now
              ???

              > Just take a look at Photoshop's autoblend feature which is even faster and with similar or
              > better results than Smartblend.

              On this the way to go is ask for a layers output from ptgui and them
              blend it using CS3 autoblend ???
              I've tried once and I did not like the result, but I'll give it another try.

              AYRTON

              > Hans

              AYRTON 21-9982.6313 www.ayrton.com
              Ladeira de Nossa Senhora, 214 / sl. 101 www.vrfolio.com
              Outeiro da Glória - RJ - 22211-100 - Brasil www.vr-images.com
              Panoramas do Rio de Janeiro www.rio360.com.br
            • Hans Nyberg
              Message 6 of 18 , Dec 1, 2007
                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "AYRTON - avi" <avi@...> wrote:

                > On 12/1/07, Hans Nyberg <hans@...> wrote:
                >
                > > With PTGui you can get a 50% boost in speed by using Enblend 3.0 and with mostly
                the
                > > same identical blending result.
                > >

                > So Hans you're saying that it's probably a good idea to use it with my
                > ptgui pro instead of the 1.3 or the 2.5 version that I'm using now
                > ???
                If you have a new Intel machine it may be much larger than 50%

                Enblend 3.0 for Mac is universal.

                Here are some new speedtests I just made.

                MacBook Pro 2.16 dualcore 2gb ram
                Standard 5400 RPM Harddisc
                8 images Canon 5D + 15mm fisheye
                Full output 11500x5750
                Speedtest at 6000x3000 16 bit output as blended tif.

                PTGui Warp + PTGui Blend
                10 minutes (average of 3 times)

                PTGui Warp + Enblend with 1500 mb Ram applied
                4.40 minutes (average of 3 times)

                With a 7200 RPM disc both get a 20% boost
                The only major problem with Enblend is thelack of blending over the edge at zenith (and
                nadir of couse but thats not important.)
                This is only a problem with full fisheye 180 degree images without a zenith image.
                Or if you do multirow and take the top row images with blending over the zenith.

                This has been a known problem all years I have known Enblend. It could without doubt
                have been solved but this is an Open source project and nothing happens really.

                There is almost no activity around enblend development.

                The special 1.3 version which is very fast compared to the 2.5 is slower than 3.0.

                I have done tests on the full 11500 pixels output from the same project but only on my G5

                PTguiWarp + Blend 31 minutes
                PTGui Warp + Enblend 1.3 26 minutes
                PTGuiWarp + Enblend 3.0 19.20 minutes

                One of the main reason why PTgui is slower is the colorcorrection which is made together
                with its own blending. Especially with 16 bit images it increases the warp time with more
                than 100%
                When you export to Enblend it does just the warping.

                Message 7 of 18 , Dec 1, 2007
                  On Saturday, December 01, 2007 at 21:06, Hans Nyberg wrote:

                  > This has been a known problem all years I have known Enblend. It could
                  > without doubt have been solved but this is an Open source project and
                  > nothing happens really.

                  As far as I heard Andrew Mihal got a job soon after he released
                  version 3.0 and since then only the hugin community felt responsible
                  for the project. However, remember the story of smartblend? Mike
                  originally wanted to make it commercially available and no one was
                  interested: http://www.panotools.org/mailarchive/msg/29296 If he gets
                  a good job, smartblend will be lost to community, since the source
                  code is not available, so be grateful enblend is at least open
                  source.

                  Could very well be enblend would never have been written if it was
                  intended as a commercial project. So please instead of to nag about
                  those lazy open source developers lets go ahead and encourage them to
                  improve their programs not only by using them but by giving
                  productive feedback and by supporting their efforts wherever
                  possible. Especially you, Hans, shouldn't have been missing on the
                  panotools google summer of code supporters list:
                  http://wiki.panotools.org/SoC2007_Supporters

                  may be next year...

                  best regards
                • Eric O'Brien
                  Message 8 of 18 , Dec 10, 2007
                    Enblend can be found at <http://sourceforge.net/projects/enblend/>

                    Compiled versions for Windows, plus source.

                    Click "Download" and choose "Browse All Files." Then the page loads,
                    scroll down a bit.

                    The newest files in this package are dated January 27, 2007.

                    MacPorts has version 2.5.

                    Fink has a version called "3.0-11"

                    eo