Re: [PanoToolsNG] Gyorome lense

  • erik vdb
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 30, 2007
      Milko Amorth-2 wrote:

      > Hi Luc,
      >
      >> which I do not understand. Searched on Adorama, B&H, Wilkinson
      > It's a door viewer. You will not find them in a photographic store, but
      > rather in a hardware store or any security (spy) supply store.
      >

      > My daughter who studied Japanese did a search for me and came up with:
      > Japanese website: http://shop.gyoromap.jp/shopdetail/002000000001/
      > translated yo English:
      > http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fshop.gyoromap.jp%2Fshopdetail%2F002000000001%2F&langpair=ja%7Cen&hl=en&ie=UTF-8
      > It's Yen 6,279, Euro 38.60 or USD 57.10 tax included.
      > I asked her to order one via a Japanese friend, i hope i get one.
      > Erik
      >

      > These lenses range from 5 to 25 dollars depending on the brass around it
      > ;-). Some of them boast a whopping 210° fov!
      > This is a canadian site with some specialized viewers, but I am sure you
      > have such services close to home.
      > www.peephole.ca
      >
      > After all, the first experimental peep hole fisheye panorama I have seen
      > is from one of your countrymen Philippe Hurbain at
      > www.philohome.com some years ago.
      > Unfortunately, he seems to have taken down this experimental project page.
      >
      > Cheers, Milko
      >

      > --
      > Milko K. Amorth
      > 360° Immersive Imaging Productions
      >
      > VRCanada.ca
      > Vancouver.360cities.net
      > Ph:604.561.5101
      > fx: 604.909.5125
      >
      > Skype: VRdundee
      > Adobe Photographers Directory: tinyurl.com/2e3tnq
      > Flickr: flickr.com/photos/vrdundee/
      > Youtube: youtube.com/user/VRDundee Member of IVRPA.org (International VR
      > Photography Association): ivrpa.org/user/1133
      > Member of the Panorama Tools Meeting Group Europe : panotools-meeting.com/
      > Contributor to the WorldWidePanorama.com Project ( University of
      > California Berkeley) : tinyurl.com/233lkg
      > Member of 360cities.net network VR portal

    • Don French
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 30, 2007
        Ha! I love it when people find ways to do things with everyday
        objects that were designed for completely different purposes. I have
        to say that the results aren't that bad for a plastic peephole lens, a
        cheap hacked camera and gobs of hot glue.

        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, paul womack <pwomack@...> wrote:

        > Milko Amorth wrote:
        > > Hi Luc,
        > >
        > >> which I do not understand. Searched on Adorama, B&H, Wilkinson
        > > It's a door viewer. You will not find them in a photographic
        store, but
        > > rather in a hardware store or any security (spy) supply store.
        > > These lenses range from 5 to 25 dollars depending on the brass
        around it
        > > ;-). Some of them boast a whopping 210° fov!
        > > This is a canadian site with some specialized viewers, but I am
        sure you
        > > have such services close to home.
        > > www.peephole.ca
        > >
        > > After all, the first experimental peep hole fisheye panorama I
        have seen
        > > is from one of your countrymen Philippe Hurbain at
        > > www.philohome.com some years ago.
        > > Unfortunately, he seems to have taken down this experimental
        project page.

        > I found this whilst searching:
        >
        > http://aggregate.org/DIT/PEEPFISH/
        >
        > BugBear

      • Guillaume Fulchiron
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 1, 2007
          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Milko Amorth" <panotools@...> wrote:

          > Hi Luc,

          > It's a door viewer. You will not find them in a photographic store,
          but
          > rather in a hardware store or any security (spy) supply store.
          > These lenses range from 5 to 25 dollars depending on the brass
          around it
          > ;-). Some of them boast a whopping 210� fov!

          Hi,
          I second Milko.

          Few years back I bought mine in those hardware supermarket, it was
          given for 200°. I made a panorama for fun with it taped on a CP800.
          Here's this unforgettable web page ;-))
          http://www.animatif.com/panos/minife/index.htm

          BTW I love Yoshiyuki Kaneko's work (who made the Coke botle pano) I
          think he is a really ingenious panographer, remember the "Lure
          fishing" and more...
          http://japanos.xii.jp/qtvr300/full_VR/fullVR_top.html

          Cheers,

          G.
        • Milko Amorth
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 1, 2007
            Hi Guillaume,

            > I second Milko.
            I am sorry for mixing up things. It was you, I remember the bridge and the
            tape :-).

            Cheers, Milko

            --
            Milko K. Amorth
            360° Immersive Imaging Productions

            VRCanada.ca
            Vancouver.360cities.net
            Ph:604.561.5101
            fx: 604.909.5125

            Skype: VRdundee
            Adobe Photographers Directory: tinyurl.com/2e3tnq
            Flickr: flickr.com/photos/vrdundee/
            Youtube: youtube.com/user/VRDundee Member of IVRPA.org (International VR
            Photography Association): ivrpa.org/user/1133
            Member of the Panorama Tools Meeting Group Europe : panotools-meeting.com/
            Contributor to the WorldWidePanorama.com Project ( University of
            California Berkeley) : tinyurl.com/233lkg
            Member of 360cities.net network VR portal
          • Roger D. Williams
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 2, 2007
              I've been away from my computer this weekend, so have only just caught up
              with the Gyorome correspondence. I would have been glad to help, but see
              that the main product site has been correctly identified...

              Here's some more background. The company that makes this had a good
              reputation for superior door spy-hole "lenses" and decided to see if
              they could produce something good enough for use with digital cameras.
              Looks to me as if they have succeeded. It is BY FAR the cheapest such
              adaptor producing a genuine fisheye image. Of course it is much more
              expensive than the standard run of spyhole lenses.

              The lens is normally secured, or, um, attached, to a metal digital camera
              by magnets, and a lot of the correspondence complains about the fact that
              the lens is easily displaced, requiring the optimum position to be found
              again and again. The other complaint was that if you made a more secure
              attachment, you had to take it off every time you wanted to use your
              camera normally. There is now quite an extensive set of references on ways
              of doing this yourself. If the company is wise they will start making a
              set of threaded rings designed to couple their lens to various standard
              digicam lenses.

              Here is a reference to a best-selling book of photos (not panoramas, so
              a bit off topic) taken with this lens. OT it may be, but it shows how
              such a lens can be used creatively and seems to produce quite good quality
              images.

              Might be just the thing for real-estate panoramas. <GDAR>

              http://www.thedog-clubs.com/home.html

              Roger

              --
              Work: www.adex-japan.com
            • erik vdb
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 7, 2008
                My Gyorome-8 has arrived, got trough a friend of a friend of my daughter who
                ordered it in Japan.

                the lens came with a self-adhesive ring to stick on the camera, i did not
                use it as my little kodak already had one fitted from another lens.
                the ring on the lens has a magnet, one can actually use a lens cap, make a
                hole, stick the lens trough it and put the adhesive ring on the other side
                of the cap and adjust the distance to lens.

                i posted some pictures here:
                http://dunesdugolf.eu/gyorome/40027c.JPG as i got it
                http://dunesdugolf.eu/gyorome/40019c.JPG the lens (with sizes)
                http://dunesdugolf.eu/gyorome/40023c.JPG on my 1.3Mp kodak DC3200 camera
                http://dunesdugolf.eu/gyorome/011.JPG close up (1.3Mp)
                http://dunesdugolf.eu/gyorome/012.JPG and another close up

                as i don't have camera that works with the Gyorome i probably ebay it.

              • erik vdb

                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 7, 2008
                    On 1/7/2008 6:38 AM, erik vdb's hamster got loose on the keyboard and
                    typed ...:
                    > My Gyorome-8 has arrived, got it trough a friend of a friend of my
                    > daughter
                    > who ordered it in Japan.
                    >
                    > the lens came with a self-adhesive ring to stick on the camera, i did not
                    > use it as my little kodak already had one fitted from another lens.
                    > the ring on the lens has a magnet,

                    I really like the idea of having a magnet attached to a digital camera.

                    NOT!

                    > one can actually use a lens cap, make a
                    > hole, stick the lens trough it and put the adhesive ring on the other side
                    > of the cap and adjust the distance to lens.
                    >
                    > i posted some pictures here:
                    > http://dunesdugolf.eu/gyorome/40027c.JPG as i got it
                    > http://dunesdugolf.eu/gyorome/40019c.JPG the lens (with sizes)
                    > http://dunesdugolf.eu/gyorome/40023c.JPG on my 1.3Mp kodak DC3200 camera
                    > http://dunesdugolf.eu/gyorome/011.JPG close up (1.3Mp)
                    > http://dunesdugolf.eu/gyorome/012.JPG and another close up
                    >
                    > as i don't have camera that works with the Gyorome i probably ebay it.

                    Pat Swovelin
                    Cool Guy @ Large
                  • erik vdb
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jan 7, 2008