Re: spacenavigator and QTVRs

  • panovrx
    Message 1 of 19 , Nov 30, 2007

      > The Spacenavigator
      > http://www.3dconnexion.com/3dmouse/spacenavigator.php

      Ive got this working with a 3d accelerated pano in Director (my own
      viewer) and it is a fine way of steering panoramas -- very suitable
      for kiosks I think -- the users could use a mouse to click hotspots
      etc with the other hand.

      The idea of pushing the device to zoom in seems a bit wrong somehow
      to me in practice, more logical somehow maybe to press down on it to
      zoom.

      Pushing forward ((z axis) motion) would be great though if you had a
      panoramic movie where you are moving forward when filming and then in
      playback you can just push to travel through the movie looking around
      as you go.

      I got it working in Director by installing a (demo) joystick Xtra.
      CXtrajoystick was the one I tried. Director then sees the joystick
      axis numerical output of the Spacenavigator but there is something
      awkward about the output for my Lingo skills and I found the 3d party
      Spacenavigator joystick driver RBC-Spacenavigator easier to handle so
      used that
      http://www.3dconnexion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=336.

      This driver doesnt interfere with the Spacenavigators functioning in
      Google Earth and other programs that it has specific hooks for it
      seems, but messes up using the Spacenavigator in Second Life using
      the joystick flycam mode there -- so I have uninstalled the RBC
      driver ("device") for the time being.

      Panoramas in Second Life can be
      navigated well with the Spacenavigator using that flycam route but
      there are issues with panoramas in SL (seams,viewpoint stability etc)
      which make it un-ideal currently as a viewer. But if you have tuned
      the settings right the Spacenavigator experience generally in SL is
      most excellent

      Peter
    • Ian Wood
      Message 2 of 19 , Dec 4, 2007
        Knowing that there are a few of us on the list using LEGO NXT for
        panorama heads...

        <http://toxicsoftware.com/spacenavigatornxt/>

        An OS X coder decides to use a SpaceNavigator to drive a NXT robot.

        Ian