Re: [PanoToolsNG] Gyorome lense

  • paul womack
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 30, 2007
      Milko Amorth wrote:
      > Hi Luc,
      >
      >> which I do not understand. Searched on Adorama, B&H, Wilkinson
      > It's a door viewer. You will not find them in a photographic store, but
      > rather in a hardware store or any security (spy) supply store.
      > These lenses range from 5 to 25 dollars depending on the brass around it
      > ;-). Some of them boast a whopping 210° fov!
      > This is a canadian site with some specialized viewers, but I am sure you
      > have such services close to home.
      > www.peephole.ca
      >
      > After all, the first experimental peep hole fisheye panorama I have seen
      > is from one of your countrymen Philippe Hurbain at
      > www.philohome.com some years ago.
      > Unfortunately, he seems to have taken down this experimental project page.

      I found this whilst searching:

      http://aggregate.org/DIT/PEEPFISH/

      BugBear
    • erik vdb
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 30, 2007
        Milko Amorth-2 wrote:

        > Hi Luc,
        >
        >> which I do not understand. Searched on Adorama, B&H, Wilkinson
        > It's a door viewer. You will not find them in a photographic store, but
        > rather in a hardware store or any security (spy) supply store.
        >

        > My daughter who studied Japanese did a search for me and came up with:
        > Japanese website: http://shop.gyoromap.jp/shopdetail/002000000001/
        > translated yo English:
        > http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fshop.gyoromap.jp%2Fshopdetail%2F002000000001%2F&langpair=ja%7Cen&hl=en&ie=UTF-8
        > It's Yen 6,279, Euro 38.60 or USD 57.10 tax included.
        > I asked her to order one via a Japanese friend, i hope i get one.
        > Erik
        >

        > These lenses range from 5 to 25 dollars depending on the brass around it
        > ;-). Some of them boast a whopping 210° fov!
        > This is a canadian site with some specialized viewers, but I am sure you
        > have such services close to home.
        > www.peephole.ca
        >
        > After all, the first experimental peep hole fisheye panorama I have seen
        > is from one of your countrymen Philippe Hurbain at
        > www.philohome.com some years ago.
        > Unfortunately, he seems to have taken down this experimental project page.
        >
        > Cheers, Milko
        >

        > --
        > Milko K. Amorth
        > 360° Immersive Imaging Productions
        >
        > VRCanada.ca
        > Vancouver.360cities.net
        > Ph:604.561.5101
        > fx: 604.909.5125
        >
        > Skype: VRdundee
        > Adobe Photographers Directory: tinyurl.com/2e3tnq
        > Flickr: flickr.com/photos/vrdundee/
        > Youtube: youtube.com/user/VRDundee Member of IVRPA.org (International VR
        > Photography Association): ivrpa.org/user/1133
        > Member of the Panorama Tools Meeting Group Europe : panotools-meeting.com/
        > Contributor to the WorldWidePanorama.com Project ( University of
        > California Berkeley) : tinyurl.com/233lkg
        > Member of 360cities.net network VR portal

      • Don French
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 30, 2007
          Ha! I love it when people find ways to do things with everyday
          objects that were designed for completely different purposes. I have
          to say that the results aren't that bad for a plastic peephole lens, a
          cheap hacked camera and gobs of hot glue.

          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, paul womack <pwomack@...> wrote:

          > Milko Amorth wrote:
          > > Hi Luc,
          > >
          > >> which I do not understand. Searched on Adorama, B&H, Wilkinson
          > > It's a door viewer. You will not find them in a photographic
          store, but
          > > rather in a hardware store or any security (spy) supply store.
          > > These lenses range from 5 to 25 dollars depending on the brass
          around it
          > > ;-). Some of them boast a whopping 210° fov!
          > > This is a canadian site with some specialized viewers, but I am
          sure you
          > > have such services close to home.
          > > www.peephole.ca
          > >
          > > After all, the first experimental peep hole fisheye panorama I
          have seen
          > > is from one of your countrymen Philippe Hurbain at
          > > www.philohome.com some years ago.
          > > Unfortunately, he seems to have taken down this experimental
          project page.

          > I found this whilst searching:
          >
          > http://aggregate.org/DIT/PEEPFISH/
          >
          > BugBear

        • Guillaume Fulchiron
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 1 5:08 AM
            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Milko Amorth" <panotools@...> wrote:

            > Hi Luc,

            > It's a door viewer. You will not find them in a photographic store,
            but
            > rather in a hardware store or any security (spy) supply store.
            > These lenses range from 5 to 25 dollars depending on the brass
            around it
            > ;-). Some of them boast a whopping 210� fov!

            Hi,
            I second Milko.

            Few years back I bought mine in those hardware supermarket, it was
            given for 200°. I made a panorama for fun with it taped on a CP800.
            Here's this unforgettable web page ;-))
            http://www.animatif.com/panos/minife/index.htm

            BTW I love Yoshiyuki Kaneko's work (who made the Coke botle pano) I
            think he is a really ingenious panographer, remember the "Lure
            fishing" and more...
            http://japanos.xii.jp/qtvr300/full_VR/fullVR_top.html

            Cheers,

            G.
          • Milko Amorth
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 1 10:18 AM
              Hi Guillaume,

              > I second Milko.
              I am sorry for mixing up things. It was you, I remember the bridge and the
              tape :-).

              Cheers, Milko

              --
              Milko K. Amorth
              360° Immersive Imaging Productions

              VRCanada.ca
              Vancouver.360cities.net
              Ph:604.561.5101
              fx: 604.909.5125

              Skype: VRdundee
              Adobe Photographers Directory: tinyurl.com/2e3tnq
              Flickr: flickr.com/photos/vrdundee/
              Youtube: youtube.com/user/VRDundee Member of IVRPA.org (International VR
              Photography Association): ivrpa.org/user/1133
              Member of the Panorama Tools Meeting Group Europe : panotools-meeting.com/
              Contributor to the WorldWidePanorama.com Project ( University of
              California Berkeley) : tinyurl.com/233lkg
              Member of 360cities.net network VR portal
            • Roger D. Williams
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 2 7:43 PM
                I've been away from my computer this weekend, so have only just caught up
                with the Gyorome correspondence. I would have been glad to help, but see
                that the main product site has been correctly identified...

                Here's some more background. The company that makes this had a good
                reputation for superior door spy-hole "lenses" and decided to see if
                they could produce something good enough for use with digital cameras.
                Looks to me as if they have succeeded. It is BY FAR the cheapest such
                adaptor producing a genuine fisheye image. Of course it is much more
                expensive than the standard run of spyhole lenses.

                The lens is normally secured, or, um, attached, to a metal digital camera
                by magnets, and a lot of the correspondence complains about the fact that
                the lens is easily displaced, requiring the optimum position to be found
                again and again. The other complaint was that if you made a more secure
                attachment, you had to take it off every time you wanted to use your
                camera normally. There is now quite an extensive set of references on ways
                of doing this yourself. If the company is wise they will start making a
                set of threaded rings designed to couple their lens to various standard
                digicam lenses.

                Here is a reference to a best-selling book of photos (not panoramas, so
                a bit off topic) taken with this lens. OT it may be, but it shows how
                such a lens can be used creatively and seems to produce quite good quality
                images.

                Might be just the thing for real-estate panoramas. <GDAR>

                http://www.thedog-clubs.com/home.html

                Roger

                --
                Work: www.adex-japan.com
              • erik vdb
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 7, 2008
                  My Gyorome-8 has arrived, got trough a friend of a friend of my daughter who
                  ordered it in Japan.

                  the lens came with a self-adhesive ring to stick on the camera, i did not
                  use it as my little kodak already had one fitted from another lens.
                  the ring on the lens has a magnet, one can actually use a lens cap, make a
                  hole, stick the lens trough it and put the adhesive ring on the other side
                  of the cap and adjust the distance to lens.

                  i posted some pictures here:
                  http://dunesdugolf.eu/gyorome/40027c.JPG as i got it
                  http://dunesdugolf.eu/gyorome/40019c.JPG the lens (with sizes)
                  http://dunesdugolf.eu/gyorome/40023c.JPG on my 1.3Mp kodak DC3200 camera
                  http://dunesdugolf.eu/gyorome/011.JPG close up (1.3Mp)
                  http://dunesdugolf.eu/gyorome/012.JPG and another close up

                  as i don't have camera that works with the Gyorome i probably ebay it.

                • erik vdb

                    Message 9 of 13 , Jan 7, 2008
                      On 1/7/2008 6:38 AM, erik vdb's hamster got loose on the keyboard and
                      typed ...:
                      > My Gyorome-8 has arrived, got it trough a friend of a friend of my
                      > daughter
                      > who ordered it in Japan.
                      >
                      > the lens came with a self-adhesive ring to stick on the camera, i did not
                      > use it as my little kodak already had one fitted from another lens.
                      > the ring on the lens has a magnet,

                      I really like the idea of having a magnet attached to a digital camera.

                      NOT!

                      > one can actually use a lens cap, make a
                      > hole, stick the lens trough it and put the adhesive ring on the other side
                      > of the cap and adjust the distance to lens.
                      >
                      > i posted some pictures here:
                      > http://dunesdugolf.eu/gyorome/40027c.JPG as i got it
                      > http://dunesdugolf.eu/gyorome/40019c.JPG the lens (with sizes)
                      > http://dunesdugolf.eu/gyorome/40023c.JPG on my 1.3Mp kodak DC3200 camera
                      > http://dunesdugolf.eu/gyorome/011.JPG close up (1.3Mp)
                      > http://dunesdugolf.eu/gyorome/012.JPG and another close up
                      >
                      > as i don't have camera that works with the Gyorome i probably ebay it.

                      Pat Swovelin
                      Cool Guy @ Large
                    • erik vdb
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jan 7, 2008