Re: [PanoToolsNG] Gyorome lense

  • Milko Amorth
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 30, 2007
      Hi Luc,

      > which I do not understand. Searched on Adorama, B&H, Wilkinson
      It's a door viewer. You will not find them in a photographic store, but
      rather in a hardware store or any security (spy) supply store.
      These lenses range from 5 to 25 dollars depending on the brass around it
      ;-). Some of them boast a whopping 210° fov!
      This is a canadian site with some specialized viewers, but I am sure you
      have such services close to home.
      www.peephole.ca

      After all, the first experimental peep hole fisheye panorama I have seen
      is from one of your countrymen Philippe Hurbain at
      www.philohome.com some years ago.
      Unfortunately, he seems to have taken down this experimental project page.

      Cheers, Milko

      --
      Milko K. Amorth
      360° Immersive Imaging Productions

      VRCanada.ca
      Vancouver.360cities.net
      Ph:604.561.5101
      fx: 604.909.5125

      Skype: VRdundee
      Adobe Photographers Directory: tinyurl.com/2e3tnq
      Flickr: flickr.com/photos/vrdundee/
      Youtube: youtube.com/user/VRDundee Member of IVRPA.org (International VR
      Photography Association): ivrpa.org/user/1133
      Member of the Panorama Tools Meeting Group Europe : panotools-meeting.com/
      Contributor to the WorldWidePanorama.com Project ( University of
      California Berkeley) : tinyurl.com/233lkg
      Member of 360cities.net network VR portal
    • paul womack
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 30, 2007
        Milko Amorth wrote:
        > Hi Luc,
        >
        >> which I do not understand. Searched on Adorama, B&H, Wilkinson
        > It's a door viewer. You will not find them in a photographic store, but
        > rather in a hardware store or any security (spy) supply store.
        > These lenses range from 5 to 25 dollars depending on the brass around it
        > ;-). Some of them boast a whopping 210° fov!
        > This is a canadian site with some specialized viewers, but I am sure you
        > have such services close to home.
        > www.peephole.ca
        >
        > After all, the first experimental peep hole fisheye panorama I have seen
        > is from one of your countrymen Philippe Hurbain at
        > www.philohome.com some years ago.
        > Unfortunately, he seems to have taken down this experimental project page.

        I found this whilst searching:

        http://aggregate.org/DIT/PEEPFISH/

        BugBear
      • erik vdb
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 30, 2007
          Milko Amorth-2 wrote:

          > Hi Luc,
          >
          >> which I do not understand. Searched on Adorama, B&H, Wilkinson
          > It's a door viewer. You will not find them in a photographic store, but
          > rather in a hardware store or any security (spy) supply store.
          >

          > My daughter who studied Japanese did a search for me and came up with:
          > Japanese website: http://shop.gyoromap.jp/shopdetail/002000000001/
          > translated yo English:
          > http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fshop.gyoromap.jp%2Fshopdetail%2F002000000001%2F&langpair=ja%7Cen&hl=en&ie=UTF-8
          > It's Yen 6,279, Euro 38.60 or USD 57.10 tax included.
          > I asked her to order one via a Japanese friend, i hope i get one.
          > Erik
          >

          > These lenses range from 5 to 25 dollars depending on the brass around it
          > ;-). Some of them boast a whopping 210° fov!
          > This is a canadian site with some specialized viewers, but I am sure you
          > have such services close to home.
          > www.peephole.ca
          >
          > After all, the first experimental peep hole fisheye panorama I have seen
          > is from one of your countrymen Philippe Hurbain at
          > www.philohome.com some years ago.
          > Unfortunately, he seems to have taken down this experimental project page.
          >
          > Cheers, Milko
          >

          > --
          > Milko K. Amorth
          > 360° Immersive Imaging Productions
          >
          > VRCanada.ca
          > Vancouver.360cities.net
          > Ph:604.561.5101
          > fx: 604.909.5125
          >
          > Skype: VRdundee
          > Adobe Photographers Directory: tinyurl.com/2e3tnq
          > Flickr: flickr.com/photos/vrdundee/
          > Youtube: youtube.com/user/VRDundee Member of IVRPA.org (International VR
          > Photography Association): ivrpa.org/user/1133
          > Member of the Panorama Tools Meeting Group Europe : panotools-meeting.com/
          > Contributor to the WorldWidePanorama.com Project ( University of
          > California Berkeley) : tinyurl.com/233lkg
          > Member of 360cities.net network VR portal

        • Don French
          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 30, 2007
            Ha! I love it when people find ways to do things with everyday
            objects that were designed for completely different purposes. I have
            to say that the results aren't that bad for a plastic peephole lens, a
            cheap hacked camera and gobs of hot glue.

            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, paul womack <pwomack@...> wrote:

            > Milko Amorth wrote:
            > > Hi Luc,
            > >
            > >> which I do not understand. Searched on Adorama, B&H, Wilkinson
            > > It's a door viewer. You will not find them in a photographic
            store, but
            > > rather in a hardware store or any security (spy) supply store.
            > > These lenses range from 5 to 25 dollars depending on the brass
            around it
            > > ;-). Some of them boast a whopping 210° fov!
            > > This is a canadian site with some specialized viewers, but I am
            sure you
            > > have such services close to home.
            > > www.peephole.ca
            > >
            > > After all, the first experimental peep hole fisheye panorama I
            have seen
            > > is from one of your countrymen Philippe Hurbain at
            > > www.philohome.com some years ago.
            > > Unfortunately, he seems to have taken down this experimental
            project page.

            > I found this whilst searching:
            >
            > http://aggregate.org/DIT/PEEPFISH/
            >
            > BugBear

          • Guillaume Fulchiron
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 1, 2007
              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Milko Amorth" <panotools@...> wrote:

              > Hi Luc,

              > It's a door viewer. You will not find them in a photographic store,
              but
              > rather in a hardware store or any security (spy) supply store.
              > These lenses range from 5 to 25 dollars depending on the brass
              around it
              > ;-). Some of them boast a whopping 210� fov!

              Hi,
              I second Milko.

              Few years back I bought mine in those hardware supermarket, it was
              given for 200°. I made a panorama for fun with it taped on a CP800.
              Here's this unforgettable web page ;-))
              http://www.animatif.com/panos/minife/index.htm

              BTW I love Yoshiyuki Kaneko's work (who made the Coke botle pano) I
              think he is a really ingenious panographer, remember the "Lure
              fishing" and more...
              http://japanos.xii.jp/qtvr300/full_VR/fullVR_top.html

              Cheers,

              G.
            • Milko Amorth
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 1, 2007
                Hi Guillaume,

                > I second Milko.
                I am sorry for mixing up things. It was you, I remember the bridge and the
                tape :-).

                Cheers, Milko

                --
                Milko K. Amorth
                360° Immersive Imaging Productions

                VRCanada.ca
                Vancouver.360cities.net
                Ph:604.561.5101
                fx: 604.909.5125

                Skype: VRdundee
                Adobe Photographers Directory: tinyurl.com/2e3tnq
                Flickr: flickr.com/photos/vrdundee/
                Youtube: youtube.com/user/VRDundee Member of IVRPA.org (International VR
                Photography Association): ivrpa.org/user/1133
                Member of the Panorama Tools Meeting Group Europe : panotools-meeting.com/
                Contributor to the WorldWidePanorama.com Project ( University of
                California Berkeley) : tinyurl.com/233lkg
                Member of 360cities.net network VR portal
              • Roger D. Williams
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 2, 2007
                  I've been away from my computer this weekend, so have only just caught up
                  with the Gyorome correspondence. I would have been glad to help, but see
                  that the main product site has been correctly identified...

                  Here's some more background. The company that makes this had a good
                  reputation for superior door spy-hole "lenses" and decided to see if
                  they could produce something good enough for use with digital cameras.
                  Looks to me as if they have succeeded. It is BY FAR the cheapest such
                  adaptor producing a genuine fisheye image. Of course it is much more
                  expensive than the standard run of spyhole lenses.

                  The lens is normally secured, or, um, attached, to a metal digital camera
                  by magnets, and a lot of the correspondence complains about the fact that
                  the lens is easily displaced, requiring the optimum position to be found
                  again and again. The other complaint was that if you made a more secure
                  attachment, you had to take it off every time you wanted to use your
                  camera normally. There is now quite an extensive set of references on ways
                  of doing this yourself. If the company is wise they will start making a
                  set of threaded rings designed to couple their lens to various standard
                  digicam lenses.

                  Here is a reference to a best-selling book of photos (not panoramas, so
                  a bit off topic) taken with this lens. OT it may be, but it shows how
                  such a lens can be used creatively and seems to produce quite good quality
                  images.

                  Might be just the thing for real-estate panoramas. <GDAR>

                  http://www.thedog-clubs.com/home.html

                  Roger

                  --
                  Work: www.adex-japan.com
                • erik vdb
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 7, 2008
                    My Gyorome-8 has arrived, got trough a friend of a friend of my daughter who
                    ordered it in Japan.

                    the lens came with a self-adhesive ring to stick on the camera, i did not
                    use it as my little kodak already had one fitted from another lens.
                    the ring on the lens has a magnet, one can actually use a lens cap, make a
                    hole, stick the lens trough it and put the adhesive ring on the other side
                    of the cap and adjust the distance to lens.

                    i posted some pictures here:
                    http://dunesdugolf.eu/gyorome/40027c.JPG as i got it
                    http://dunesdugolf.eu/gyorome/40019c.JPG the lens (with sizes)
                    http://dunesdugolf.eu/gyorome/40023c.JPG on my 1.3Mp kodak DC3200 camera
                    http://dunesdugolf.eu/gyorome/011.JPG close up (1.3Mp)
                    http://dunesdugolf.eu/gyorome/012.JPG and another close up

                    as i don't have camera that works with the Gyorome i probably ebay it.

                  • erik vdb

                      Message 10 of 13 , Jan 7, 2008
                        On 1/7/2008 6:38 AM, erik vdb's hamster got loose on the keyboard and
                        typed ...:
                        > My Gyorome-8 has arrived, got it trough a friend of a friend of my
                        > daughter
                        > who ordered it in Japan.
                        >
                        > the lens came with a self-adhesive ring to stick on the camera, i did not
                        > use it as my little kodak already had one fitted from another lens.
                        > the ring on the lens has a magnet,

                        I really like the idea of having a magnet attached to a digital camera.

                        NOT!

                        > one can actually use a lens cap, make a
                        > hole, stick the lens trough it and put the adhesive ring on the other side
                        > of the cap and adjust the distance to lens.
                        >
                        > i posted some pictures here:
                        > http://dunesdugolf.eu/gyorome/40027c.JPG as i got it
                        > http://dunesdugolf.eu/gyorome/40019c.JPG the lens (with sizes)
                        > http://dunesdugolf.eu/gyorome/40023c.JPG on my 1.3Mp kodak DC3200 camera
                        > http://dunesdugolf.eu/gyorome/011.JPG close up (1.3Mp)
                        > http://dunesdugolf.eu/gyorome/012.JPG and another close up
                        >
                        > as i don't have camera that works with the Gyorome i probably ebay it.

                        Pat Swovelin
                        Cool Guy @ Large
                      • erik vdb
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jan 7, 2008