Re: [PanoToolsNG] Gyorome lense

  • Alex
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 30, 2007
      It's a door scope! A peephole. Not designed for photography, but rather
      to allow one to see who's at the front door! A piece of hardware.

      luc.villeneuve wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > In the last edition of VRMag, there is a vr done from inside a Coca
      > Cola bottle. Yoshiyuki
      > Kaneko used a Nikon P5000 and a Gyorome 8.
      >
      > I did some research in to find this Gyorome 8 and almost 100% of the
      > links were pointing to
      > sites in japanese which I do not understand. Searched on Adorama, B&H,
      > Wilkinson and many
      > other.
      >
      > Any idea of who sell this device?
      >
      > Luc

    • Milko Amorth
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 30, 2007
        Hi Luc,

        > which I do not understand. Searched on Adorama, B&H, Wilkinson
        It's a door viewer. You will not find them in a photographic store, but
        rather in a hardware store or any security (spy) supply store.
        These lenses range from 5 to 25 dollars depending on the brass around it
        ;-). Some of them boast a whopping 210° fov!
        This is a canadian site with some specialized viewers, but I am sure you
        have such services close to home.
        www.peephole.ca

        After all, the first experimental peep hole fisheye panorama I have seen
        is from one of your countrymen Philippe Hurbain at
        www.philohome.com some years ago.
        Unfortunately, he seems to have taken down this experimental project page.

        Cheers, Milko

        --
        Milko K. Amorth
        360° Immersive Imaging Productions

        VRCanada.ca
        Vancouver.360cities.net
        Ph:604.561.5101
        fx: 604.909.5125

        Skype: VRdundee
        Adobe Photographers Directory: tinyurl.com/2e3tnq
        Flickr: flickr.com/photos/vrdundee/
        Youtube: youtube.com/user/VRDundee Member of IVRPA.org (International VR
        Photography Association): ivrpa.org/user/1133
        Member of the Panorama Tools Meeting Group Europe : panotools-meeting.com/
        Contributor to the WorldWidePanorama.com Project ( University of
        California Berkeley) : tinyurl.com/233lkg
        Member of 360cities.net network VR portal
      • paul womack
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 30, 2007
          Milko Amorth wrote:
          > Hi Luc,
          >
          >> which I do not understand. Searched on Adorama, B&H, Wilkinson
          > It's a door viewer. You will not find them in a photographic store, but
          > rather in a hardware store or any security (spy) supply store.
          > These lenses range from 5 to 25 dollars depending on the brass around it
          > ;-). Some of them boast a whopping 210° fov!
          > This is a canadian site with some specialized viewers, but I am sure you
          > have such services close to home.
          > www.peephole.ca
          >
          > After all, the first experimental peep hole fisheye panorama I have seen
          > is from one of your countrymen Philippe Hurbain at
          > www.philohome.com some years ago.
          > Unfortunately, he seems to have taken down this experimental project page.

          I found this whilst searching:

          http://aggregate.org/DIT/PEEPFISH/

          BugBear
        • erik vdb
          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 30, 2007
            Milko Amorth-2 wrote:

            > Hi Luc,
            >
            >> which I do not understand. Searched on Adorama, B&H, Wilkinson
            > It's a door viewer. You will not find them in a photographic store, but
            > rather in a hardware store or any security (spy) supply store.
            >

            > My daughter who studied Japanese did a search for me and came up with:
            > Japanese website: http://shop.gyoromap.jp/shopdetail/002000000001/
            > translated yo English:
            > http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fshop.gyoromap.jp%2Fshopdetail%2F002000000001%2F&langpair=ja%7Cen&hl=en&ie=UTF-8
            > It's Yen 6,279, Euro 38.60 or USD 57.10 tax included.
            > I asked her to order one via a Japanese friend, i hope i get one.
            > Erik
            >

            > These lenses range from 5 to 25 dollars depending on the brass around it
            > ;-). Some of them boast a whopping 210° fov!
            > This is a canadian site with some specialized viewers, but I am sure you
            > have such services close to home.
            > www.peephole.ca
            >
            > After all, the first experimental peep hole fisheye panorama I have seen
            > is from one of your countrymen Philippe Hurbain at
            > www.philohome.com some years ago.
            > Unfortunately, he seems to have taken down this experimental project page.
            >
            > Cheers, Milko
            >

            > --
            > Milko K. Amorth
            > 360° Immersive Imaging Productions
            >
            > VRCanada.ca
            > Vancouver.360cities.net
            > Ph:604.561.5101
            > fx: 604.909.5125
            >
            > Skype: VRdundee
            > Adobe Photographers Directory: tinyurl.com/2e3tnq
            > Flickr: flickr.com/photos/vrdundee/
            > Youtube: youtube.com/user/VRDundee Member of IVRPA.org (International VR
            > Photography Association): ivrpa.org/user/1133
            > Member of the Panorama Tools Meeting Group Europe : panotools-meeting.com/
            > Contributor to the WorldWidePanorama.com Project ( University of
            > California Berkeley) : tinyurl.com/233lkg
            > Member of 360cities.net network VR portal

          • Don French
            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 30, 2007
              Ha! I love it when people find ways to do things with everyday
              objects that were designed for completely different purposes. I have
              to say that the results aren't that bad for a plastic peephole lens, a
              cheap hacked camera and gobs of hot glue.

              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, paul womack <pwomack@...> wrote:

              > Milko Amorth wrote:
              > > Hi Luc,
              > >
              > >> which I do not understand. Searched on Adorama, B&H, Wilkinson
              > > It's a door viewer. You will not find them in a photographic
              store, but
              > > rather in a hardware store or any security (spy) supply store.
              > > These lenses range from 5 to 25 dollars depending on the brass
              around it
              > > ;-). Some of them boast a whopping 210° fov!
              > > This is a canadian site with some specialized viewers, but I am
              sure you
              > > have such services close to home.
              > > www.peephole.ca
              > >
              > > After all, the first experimental peep hole fisheye panorama I
              have seen
              > > is from one of your countrymen Philippe Hurbain at
              > > www.philohome.com some years ago.
              > > Unfortunately, he seems to have taken down this experimental
              project page.

              > I found this whilst searching:
              >
              > http://aggregate.org/DIT/PEEPFISH/
              >
              > BugBear

            • Guillaume Fulchiron
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 1, 2007
                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Milko Amorth" <panotools@...> wrote:

                > Hi Luc,

                > It's a door viewer. You will not find them in a photographic store,
                but
                > rather in a hardware store or any security (spy) supply store.
                > These lenses range from 5 to 25 dollars depending on the brass
                around it
                > ;-). Some of them boast a whopping 210� fov!

                Hi,
                I second Milko.

                Few years back I bought mine in those hardware supermarket, it was
                given for 200°. I made a panorama for fun with it taped on a CP800.
                Here's this unforgettable web page ;-))
                http://www.animatif.com/panos/minife/index.htm

                BTW I love Yoshiyuki Kaneko's work (who made the Coke botle pano) I
                think he is a really ingenious panographer, remember the "Lure
                fishing" and more...
                http://japanos.xii.jp/qtvr300/full_VR/fullVR_top.html

                Cheers,

                G.
              • Milko Amorth
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 1, 2007
                  Hi Guillaume,

                  > I second Milko.
                  I am sorry for mixing up things. It was you, I remember the bridge and the
                  tape :-).

                  Cheers, Milko

                  --
                  Milko K. Amorth
                  360° Immersive Imaging Productions

                  VRCanada.ca
                  Vancouver.360cities.net
                  Ph:604.561.5101
                  fx: 604.909.5125

                  Skype: VRdundee
                  Adobe Photographers Directory: tinyurl.com/2e3tnq
                  Flickr: flickr.com/photos/vrdundee/
                  Youtube: youtube.com/user/VRDundee Member of IVRPA.org (International VR
                  Photography Association): ivrpa.org/user/1133
                  Member of the Panorama Tools Meeting Group Europe : panotools-meeting.com/
                  Contributor to the WorldWidePanorama.com Project ( University of
                  California Berkeley) : tinyurl.com/233lkg
                  Member of 360cities.net network VR portal
                • Roger D. Williams
                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 2, 2007
                    I've been away from my computer this weekend, so have only just caught up
                    with the Gyorome correspondence. I would have been glad to help, but see
                    that the main product site has been correctly identified...

                    Here's some more background. The company that makes this had a good
                    reputation for superior door spy-hole "lenses" and decided to see if
                    they could produce something good enough for use with digital cameras.
                    Looks to me as if they have succeeded. It is BY FAR the cheapest such
                    adaptor producing a genuine fisheye image. Of course it is much more
                    expensive than the standard run of spyhole lenses.

                    The lens is normally secured, or, um, attached, to a metal digital camera
                    by magnets, and a lot of the correspondence complains about the fact that
                    the lens is easily displaced, requiring the optimum position to be found
                    again and again. The other complaint was that if you made a more secure
                    attachment, you had to take it off every time you wanted to use your
                    camera normally. There is now quite an extensive set of references on ways
                    of doing this yourself. If the company is wise they will start making a
                    set of threaded rings designed to couple their lens to various standard
                    digicam lenses.

                    Here is a reference to a best-selling book of photos (not panoramas, so
                    a bit off topic) taken with this lens. OT it may be, but it shows how
                    such a lens can be used creatively and seems to produce quite good quality
                    images.

                    Might be just the thing for real-estate panoramas. <GDAR>

                    http://www.thedog-clubs.com/home.html

                    Roger

                    --
                    Work: www.adex-japan.com
                  • erik vdb
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jan 7, 2008
                      My Gyorome-8 has arrived, got trough a friend of a friend of my daughter who
                      ordered it in Japan.

                      the lens came with a self-adhesive ring to stick on the camera, i did not
                      use it as my little kodak already had one fitted from another lens.
                      the ring on the lens has a magnet, one can actually use a lens cap, make a
                      hole, stick the lens trough it and put the adhesive ring on the other side
                      of the cap and adjust the distance to lens.

                      i posted some pictures here:
                      http://dunesdugolf.eu/gyorome/40027c.JPG as i got it
                      http://dunesdugolf.eu/gyorome/40019c.JPG the lens (with sizes)
                      http://dunesdugolf.eu/gyorome/40023c.JPG on my 1.3Mp kodak DC3200 camera
                      http://dunesdugolf.eu/gyorome/011.JPG close up (1.3Mp)
                      http://dunesdugolf.eu/gyorome/012.JPG and another close up

                      as i don't have camera that works with the Gyorome i probably ebay it.

                    • erik vdb

                        Message 11 of 13 , Jan 7, 2008
                          On 1/7/2008 6:38 AM, erik vdb's hamster got loose on the keyboard and
                          typed ...:
                          > My Gyorome-8 has arrived, got it trough a friend of a friend of my
                          > daughter
                          > who ordered it in Japan.
                          >
                          > the lens came with a self-adhesive ring to stick on the camera, i did not
                          > use it as my little kodak already had one fitted from another lens.
                          > the ring on the lens has a magnet,

                          I really like the idea of having a magnet attached to a digital camera.

                          NOT!

                          > one can actually use a lens cap, make a
                          > hole, stick the lens trough it and put the adhesive ring on the other side
                          > of the cap and adjust the distance to lens.
                          >
                          > i posted some pictures here:
                          > http://dunesdugolf.eu/gyorome/40027c.JPG as i got it
                          > http://dunesdugolf.eu/gyorome/40019c.JPG the lens (with sizes)
                          > http://dunesdugolf.eu/gyorome/40023c.JPG on my 1.3Mp kodak DC3200 camera
                          > http://dunesdugolf.eu/gyorome/011.JPG close up (1.3Mp)
                          > http://dunesdugolf.eu/gyorome/012.JPG and another close up
                          >
                          > as i don't have camera that works with the Gyorome i probably ebay it.

                          Pat Swovelin
                          Cool Guy @ Large
                        • erik vdb
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jan 7, 2008