Enblend 3.0 memory problem

  • Hans Nyberg
    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 29, 2007
      I have not used Enblend 3.0 for larger panoramas since it was published but yesterday I
      did some test and found that the Mac compiled version is not able to use large amounts of
      Ram.

      I tried to blend an 11500x5750 pixels 16 bit pano. I set the Ram to 4000 mb as I have 4.5
      GB installed
      After a couple of minutes I got this message.
      "The output file generated by Enblend is unreadable. Most likely this is due to a bug in
      Enblend
      Additional information TIFFOpenstream failed."

      I tried to do a 10.000 pixel and it went through without problem.
      The 2.5 version had no problems with the larger pano

      So I reduced the Ram parameters first to 3600 but got same message.
      Than to 2000 and now Enblend 3.0 had no problem doing the 11500 pano.

      Mac 2.0 dualcore G5 4.5 gb ram.
      The only Mac 3.0 version I have been able to find is the one with download from
      Kekus.com.

      At enblend.sourceforge.net/ there is no Mac version just the source version which I have
      no idea how to use. There seems to have been no activity at all since january.

      And the download at Kekus has no source which gives you any clue who actually made it.

      Hans
    • Bernhard Vogl
      Message 2 of 18 , Nov 29, 2007
        > "The output file generated by Enblend is unreadable. Most likely this is
        > due to a bug in
        > Enblend
        > Additional information TIFFOpenstream failed."

        This sounds like a problem with your file size on disk.

        Best regards
        Bernhard
      • Hans Nyberg
        Message 3 of 18 , Nov 29, 2007
          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Bernhard Vogl" <bvogl@...> wrote:

          > > "The output file generated by Enblend is unreadable. Most likely this is
          > > due to a bug in
          > > Enblend
          > > Additional information TIFFOpenstream failed."
          >
          > This sounds like a problem with your file size on disk.

          What do you mean. I have no parameters added except the Ram. And exactly the same
          output works fin with 2.5.

          And there is 3 times as much place on disc as needed.
          4GB should be enough to keep all images in Ram for this size.

          There must be an error in the way Enblend builds the tif file if you give it enough ram to
          blend many images in Ram before it ads them to the file.
          I remember now how Enblend builds the file. You can actually see it on Mac if you activate
          the preview of the file.

          Hans
        • Bernhard Vogl
          Message 4 of 18 , Nov 29, 2007
            Hans Nyberg schrieb:
            > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Bernhard Vogl" <bvogl@...> wrote:
            >

            >>> "The output file generated by Enblend is unreadable. Most likely this is
            >>> due to a bug in
            >>> Enblend
            >>> Additional information TIFFOpenstream failed."
            >>>
            >> This sounds like a problem with your file size on disk.
            >>

            > What do you mean. I have no parameters added except the Ram. And exactly the same
            > output works fin with 2.5.
            >
            > And there is 3 times as much place on disc as needed.
            > 4GB should be enough to keep all images in Ram for this size.
            >
            > There must be an error in the way Enblend builds the tif file if you give it enough ram to
            > blend many images in Ram before it ads them to the file.
            > I remember now how Enblend builds the file. You can actually see it on Mac if you activate
            > the preview of the file.

            All situations i have seen the "TIFFOpenstream failed" message, it was
            caused by TIFF incompatibility or excession of file size (2GB). This is
            definitely the first thing i would check.
            If this doesn't apply, there is still the possibility that this is a
            "second order" problem. I realized that the -m parameter defines the
            "image cache" and not the overall ram usage of enblend. So you may have
            found a bug which appears when the system runs out of memory.

            Did you check:
            - Final file size of the panorama on disk?
            - Memory/swap usage of your computer during blending?
            Can you give us some numbers? This might help tracking down the problem.

            Also, take into account that using a large image cache will compete with
            your operating systems file cache and may degrade overall performance...

            Bernhard
            Message 5 of 18 , Nov 30, 2007
              On Thursday, November 29, 2007 at 15:06, Hans Nyberg wrote:

              > I tried to blend an 11500x5750 pixels 16 bit pano. I set the Ram to 4000 mb as I have 4.5
              > GB installed
              > After a couple of minutes I got this message.
              > "The output file generated by Enblend is unreadable. Most likely this is due to a bug in
              > Enblend
              > Additional information TIFFOpenstream failed."

              I suggest to inform the hugin-ptx list about this (that's where
              enblend development takes place at the moment):
              http://groups.google.com/group/hugin-ptx

              Most likely there will be a version 3.1 soon, fixing some bugs in
              blending HDR images, but I didn't find anything which could be
              related to your problem on
              http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?atid=696411&group_id=123407
              (choose Status=Any to see all)

              best regards
            • Bruno Postle
              Message 6 of 18 , Nov 30, 2007
                On Thu 29-Nov-2007 at 15:06 -0000, Hans Nyberg wrote:

                >"The output file generated by Enblend is unreadable. Most likely this is due to a bug in
                >Enblend
                >Additional information TIFFOpenstream failed."

                >Mac 2.0 dualcore G5 4.5 gb ram.
                >The only Mac 3.0 version I have been able to find is the one with download from
                >Kekus.com.

                It is possible it is some compilation or library problem. There is
                another enblend-3.0 in the hugin OS X bundle, you could try that and
                report if it makes any difference.

                --
                Bruno
              • Hans Nyberg
                Message 7 of 18 , Nov 30, 2007
                  --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Bruno Postle <bruno@...> wrote:

                  > On Thu 29-Nov-2007 at 15:06 -0000, Hans Nyberg wrote:
                  >
                  > >"The output file generated by Enblend is unreadable. Most likely this is due to a bug in
                  > >Enblend
                  > >Additional information TIFFOpenstream failed."
                  >
                  > >Mac 2.0 dualcore G5 4.5 gb ram.
                  > >The only Mac 3.0 version I have been able to find is the one with download from
                  > >Kekus.com.
                  >
                  > It is possible it is some compilation or library problem. There is
                  > another enblend-3.0 in the hugin OS X bundle, you could try that and
                  > report if it makes any difference.

                  There is no Hugin OSX Enblend version.
                  In the Hugin download there is an Enblend folder but it only has license and readme files
                  plus a link to the enblend download at http://sourceforge.net/projects/enblend

                  And there you do not even have Enblend 3.0 at all.

                  Hans
                • Bruno Postle
                  Message 8 of 18 , Nov 30, 2007
                    On Fri 30-Nov-2007 at 23:36 -0000, Hans Nyberg wrote:
                    >--- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Bruno Postle <bruno@...> wrote:
                    >>
                    >> It is possible it is some compilation or library problem. There is
                    >> another enblend-3.0 in the hugin OS X bundle, you could try that and
                    >> report if it makes any difference.
                    >
                    >There is no Hugin OSX Enblend version.

                    Ok, try the one at the bottom of this page instead:

                    http://homepage.mac.com/ippei_ukai/software/

                    --
                    Bruno
                  • Hans Nyberg
                    Message 9 of 18 , Nov 30, 2007
                      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Bruno Postle <bruno@...> wrote:

                      > On Fri 30-Nov-2007 at 23:36 -0000, Hans Nyberg wrote:
                      > >--- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Bruno Postle <bruno@> wrote:
                      > >>
                      > >> It is possible it is some compilation or library problem. There is
                      > >> another enblend-3.0 in the hugin OS X bundle, you could try that and
                      > >> report if it makes any difference.
                      > >
                      > >There is no Hugin OSX Enblend version.
                      >
                      > Ok, try the one at the bottom of this page instead:
                      >
                      > http://homepage.mac.com/ippei_ukai/software/

                      I believe that is the same as the one at Kekus.com.

                      Both Created and modified 05/02/07

                      Hans

                      Only difference is that mine says 15.41 which I assume has to do with summertime.
                    • Bruno Postle
                      Message 10 of 18 , Nov 30, 2007
                        On Fri 30-Nov-2007 at 23:55 -0000, Hans Nyberg wrote:
                        >> >--- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Bruno Postle <bruno@> wrote:
                        >>
                        >> Ok, try the one at the bottom of this page instead:
                        >>
                        >> http://homepage.mac.com/ippei_ukai/software/
                        >
                        >I believe that is the same as the one at Kekus.com.
                        >
                        >Both Created and modified 05/02/07

                        I guess that is all there is, sorry for leading you on a fruitless
                        chase.

                        --
                        Bruno
                      • Hans Nyberg
                        Message 11 of 18 , Dec 1, 2007
                          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Bruno Postle <bruno@...> wrote:

                          > >> Ok, try the one at the bottom of this page instead:
                          > >>
                          > >> http://homepage.mac.com/ippei_ukai/software/
                          > >
                          > >I believe that is the same as the one at Kekus.com.
                          > >
                          > >Both Created and modified 05/02/07
                          >
                          > I guess that is all there is, sorry for leading you on a fruitless
                          > chase.

                          Well Thanks anyway, at least I know the author now.
                          I have to say I find it very weird that the development of a component like Enblend is
                          taken care of by just a couple of people who just do it for fun.
                          And it is even difficult for people without insight in it to find the download.

                          Enblend is a vital part of both Stitcher and PTMac

                          Stitcher is unusesable without Enblend or Smartblend. (Unless the last updater has done
                          something revolutionary.) PTMac's own blender is of the same kind.

                          With PTGui you can get a 50% boost in speed by using Enblend 3.0 and with mostly the
                          same identical blending result.

                          RealViz should pay at least 20% of each Stitcher sale to the developers of Enblend and
                          Smartblend to keep making them even better.

                          Just take a look at Photoshop's autoblend feature which is even faster and with similar or
                          better results than Smartblend.

                          Hans
                        • dmgalpha
                          Message 12 of 18 , Dec 1, 2007
                            > Well Thanks anyway, at least I know the author now.
                            > I have to say I find it very weird that the development of a
                            component like Enblend is
                            > taken care of by just a couple of people who just do it for fun.
                            > And it is even difficult for people without insight in it to find
                            the download.

                            I find it weird that you find it weird. A lot of open source and free
                            software is build in the spare time of their developers.

                            I spent several hours today trying to compile the latest enblend under
                            OS X. I now have an info file for fink and a tar source file with the
                            latest CVS if anybody wants to compile it (and has a properly
                            configured unstable branch of fink 10.4).

                            --
                            daniel m. german
                            silvernegative.com
                            Message 13 of 18 , Dec 1, 2007
                              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "dmgalpha" <dmgerman@...> wrote:

                              > I spent several hours today trying to compile the latest enblend under
                              > OS X. I now have an info file for fink and a tar source file with the
                              > latest CVS if anybody wants to compile it (and has a properly
                              > configured unstable branch of fink 10.4).

                              If I had any idea what you are talking about I suppose i would say that this sounds great.

                              Hans
                            • Yuval Levy
                              Message 14 of 18 , Dec 1, 2007
                                dmgalpha wrote:
                                > I find it weird that you find it weird. A lot of open source and free
                                > software is build in the spare time of their developers.

                                unfortunately the spirit of open source is not immediately clear to
                                people who have been educated to shell out hundreds of dollars for
                                proprietary software.

                                > I spent several hours today trying to compile the latest enblend under
                                > OS X. I now have an info file for fink and a tar source file with the
                                > latest CVS if anybody wants to compile it (and has a properly
                                > configured unstable branch of fink 10.4).

                                thanks for your contribution, Daniel. I have documented it on
                                http://wiki.panotools.org/Hugin_Compiling_OSX

                                those who have Macs out there - the developers of both hugin and enblend
                                need your feedback. please take the time to read the above page and try
                                to follow the instructions. if you bump into problems, they are most
                                likely unknown to the developers and won't be fixed unless you
                                communicate that the problems exist.

                                don't expect much, though. since you are not paying for this, no open
                                source contributor will feel obliged to reply to your requests.
                                formulating them nicely might help.

                                Yuv
                              • AYRTON - avi
                                Message 15 of 18 , Dec 1, 2007
                                  On 12/1/07, Hans Nyberg <hans@...> wrote:

                                  > With PTGui you can get a 50% boost in speed by using Enblend 3.0 and with mostly the
                                  > same identical blending result.

                                  So Hans you're saying that it's probably a good idea to use it with my
                                  ptgui pro instead of the 1.3 or the 2.5 version that I'm using now
                                  ???

                                  > Just take a look at Photoshop's autoblend feature which is even faster and with similar or
                                  > better results than Smartblend.

                                  On this the way to go is ask for a layers output from ptgui and them
                                  blend it using CS3 autoblend ???
                                  I've tried once and I did not like the result, but I'll give it another try.

                                  AYRTON

                                  > Hans

                                  AYRTON 21-9982.6313 www.ayrton.com
                                  Ladeira de Nossa Senhora, 214 / sl. 101 www.vrfolio.com
                                  Outeiro da Glória - RJ - 22211-100 - Brasil www.vr-images.com
                                  Panoramas do Rio de Janeiro www.rio360.com.br
                                • Hans Nyberg
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Dec 1, 2007
                                    --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "AYRTON - avi" <avi@...> wrote:

                                    > On 12/1/07, Hans Nyberg <hans@...> wrote:
                                    >
                                    > > With PTGui you can get a 50% boost in speed by using Enblend 3.0 and with mostly
                                    the
                                    > > same identical blending result.
                                    > >

                                    > So Hans you're saying that it's probably a good idea to use it with my
                                    > ptgui pro instead of the 1.3 or the 2.5 version that I'm using now
                                    > ???
                                    If you have a new Intel machine it may be much larger than 50%

                                    Enblend 3.0 for Mac is universal.

                                    Here are some new speedtests I just made.

                                    MacBook Pro 2.16 dualcore 2gb ram
                                    Standard 5400 RPM Harddisc
                                    8 images Canon 5D + 15mm fisheye
                                    Full output 11500x5750
                                    Speedtest at 6000x3000 16 bit output as blended tif.

                                    PTGui Warp + PTGui Blend
                                    10 minutes (average of 3 times)

                                    PTGui Warp + Enblend with 1500 mb Ram applied
                                    4.40 minutes (average of 3 times)

                                    With a 7200 RPM disc both get a 20% boost
                                    The only major problem with Enblend is thelack of blending over the edge at zenith (and
                                    nadir of couse but thats not important.)
                                    This is only a problem with full fisheye 180 degree images without a zenith image.
                                    Or if you do multirow and take the top row images with blending over the zenith.

                                    This has been a known problem all years I have known Enblend. It could without doubt
                                    have been solved but this is an Open source project and nothing happens really.

                                    There is almost no activity around enblend development.

                                    The special 1.3 version which is very fast compared to the 2.5 is slower than 3.0.

                                    I have done tests on the full 11500 pixels output from the same project but only on my G5

                                    PTguiWarp + Blend 31 minutes
                                    PTGui Warp + Enblend 1.3 26 minutes
                                    PTGuiWarp + Enblend 3.0 19.20 minutes

                                    One of the main reason why PTgui is slower is the colorcorrection which is made together
                                    with its own blending. Especially with 16 bit images it increases the warp time with more
                                    than 100%
                                    When you export to Enblend it does just the warping.

                                    Message 17 of 18 , Dec 1, 2007
                                      On Saturday, December 01, 2007 at 21:06, Hans Nyberg wrote:

                                      > This has been a known problem all years I have known Enblend. It could
                                      > without doubt have been solved but this is an Open source project and
                                      > nothing happens really.

                                      As far as I heard Andrew Mihal got a job soon after he released
                                      version 3.0 and since then only the hugin community felt responsible
                                      for the project. However, remember the story of smartblend? Mike
                                      originally wanted to make it commercially available and no one was
                                      interested: http://www.panotools.org/mailarchive/msg/29296 If he gets
                                      a good job, smartblend will be lost to community, since the source
                                      code is not available, so be grateful enblend is at least open
                                      source.

                                      Could very well be enblend would never have been written if it was
                                      intended as a commercial project. So please instead of to nag about
                                      those lazy open source developers lets go ahead and encourage them to
                                      improve their programs not only by using them but by giving
                                      productive feedback and by supporting their efforts wherever
                                      possible. Especially you, Hans, shouldn't have been missing on the
                                      panotools google summer of code supporters list:
                                      http://wiki.panotools.org/SoC2007_Supporters

                                      may be next year...

                                      best regards
                                    • Eric O'Brien
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Dec 10, 2007
                                        Enblend can be found at <http://sourceforge.net/projects/enblend/>

                                        Compiled versions for Windows, plus source.

                                        Click "Download" and choose "Browse All Files." Then the page loads,
                                        scroll down a bit.

                                        The newest files in this package are dated January 27, 2007.

                                        MacPorts has version 2.5.

                                        Fink has a version called "3.0-11"

                                        eo