Asus EEE

  • dmgalpha
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 28, 2007
      Sometime ago we had a discussion regarding using the N800 as an
      on-the-field media browser. I just acquired a Asus EEE and I tested
      some panoramas (inside Mozilla) and it works like as expected. It has
      512 Megs of memory and a celeron CPU running at 900 MHz, so there is
      plenty of power to do a quick demo. It is only 920 grams, with all the
      features you expect from a tiny laptop, including 3 usb ports and WiFi.

      I believe the Asus EEE is a great deal, and a perfect photographer
      companion. Add an external hard drive, a flash card reader (if you use
      CF cards) and you are set. You can even run hugin in it and do some
      quick stitching, if you need to.

      --dmg

      --
      Daniel m. German
      silvernegative.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 29, 2007
        On that note, I got a nokia n810

        It is awesome

        but does not play panos properly even though it has flash 9. I even tried
        tiny flash 8 panos. no luck. it should have java, but it doesn't, yet.

        I am planning to write a more detailed review of the device, soon ;)

        I also would like an EEE

        Jeffrey

        --
        ------------------
        www.360cities.net

        Asus EEE
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PanoToolsNG/message/15048;_ylc=X3oDMTJzbThpdGFoBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzE4MjI3ODQ4BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTAwNjQ5NgRtc2dJZAMxNTA0OARzZWMDZG1zZwRzbGsDdm1zZwRzdGltZQMxMTk2MzM0NzUw>
        Posted
        by: "dmgalpha" dmgerman@...
        <dmgerman@...?Subject=+Re%3AAsus%20EEE> dmgalpha
        <http://profiles.yahoo.com/dmgalpha> Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:34 pm (PST)

        Sometime ago we had a discussion regarding using the N800 as an
        on-the-field media browser. I just acquired a Asus EEE and I tested
        some panoramas (inside Mozilla) and it works like as expected. It has
        512 Megs of memory and a celeron CPU running at 900 MHz, so there is
        plenty of power to do a quick demo. It is only 920 grams, with all the
        features you expect from a tiny laptop, including 3 usb ports and WiFi.

        I believe the Asus EEE is a great deal, and a perfect photographer
        companion. Add an external hard drive, a flash card reader (if you use
        CF cards) and you are set. You can even run hugin in it and do some
        quick stitching, if you need to.

        --dmg

      • Bernhard Vogl
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 29, 2007
          I have bought an IPAQ 514, a handy "business" smartphone running WM6.
          I noticed that the problem with "business" devices might be the absence of 3D capabilities (at least, this is what PTViewer told me when i tried to display a pano)

          Bernhard

          -------- Original-Nachricht --------
          > Datum: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 12:19:57 +0100
          > Von: "Jeffrey Martin" <360cities@...>
          > An: panotoolsng@yahoogroups.com
          > Betreff: [PanoToolsNG] Re: Asus EEE

          > On that note, I got a nokia n810
          >
          > It is awesome
          >
          > but does not play panos properly even though it has flash 9. I even tried
          > tiny flash 8 panos. no luck. it should have java, but it doesn't, yet.
          >
          > I am planning to write a more detailed review of the device, soon ;)
          >
          > I also would like an EEE
          >
          > Jeffrey
          >
          > --
          > ------------------
          > www.360cities.net
          > www.prague360.com
          > www.vrlog.net
          > tel. +420 608 076 502
          > skype jeffrey.s.martin
          >

          > Asus EEE
          > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PanoToolsNG/message/15048;_ylc=X3oDMTJzbThpdGFoBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzE4MjI3ODQ4BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTAwNjQ5NgRtc2dJZAMxNTA0OARzZWMDZG1zZwRzbGsDdm1zZwRzdGltZQMxMTk2MzM0NzUw>
          > Posted
          > by: "dmgalpha" dmgerman@...
          > <dmgerman@...?Subject=+Re%3AAsus%20EEE> dmgalpha
          > <http://profiles.yahoo.com/dmgalpha> Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:34 pm (PST)
          >
          > Sometime ago we had a discussion regarding using the N800 as an
          > on-the-field media browser. I just acquired a Asus EEE and I tested
          > some panoramas (inside Mozilla) and it works like as expected. It has
          > 512 Megs of memory and a celeron CPU running at 900 MHz, so there is
          > plenty of power to do a quick demo. It is only 920 grams, with all the
          > features you expect from a tiny laptop, including 3 usb ports and WiFi.
          >
          > I believe the Asus EEE is a great deal, and a perfect photographer
          > companion. Add an external hard drive, a flash card reader (if you use
          > CF cards) and you are set. You can even run hugin in it and do some
          > quick stitching, if you need to.
          >
          > --dmg

        • Carel
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 29, 2007
            dmgalpha wrote:

            > ...............<snip>................
            > I just acquired a Asus EEE and I tested
            > some panoramas (inside Mozilla) and it works like as expected. It has
            > 512 Megs of memory and a celeron CPU running at 900 MHz, so there is
            > plenty of power to do a quick demo. It is only 920 grams, with all the
            > features you expect from a tiny laptop, including 3 usb ports and WiFi.
            >
            > ...............<snip>................
            >
            > Daniel m. German
            > silvernegative.com

            I assume you are running it under Linux. The Asus EEE would also make a
            cheap Canon DSLR controller if it would run under Windows (using Breeze
            systems' DSLR remote pro). I guess the announced Windows version is not out
            yet?

            Carel
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 29, 2007
              The Asus EEE PC comes with the XP drivers necessary to install XP.

              The XP version hasn't been released yet.

              I subscribe to a windows XP/Vista mailing list. Deb's been talking about
              the Asus she bought... and speaks highly of it, even after installing XP.

              _Marc Huff
              WHdigital, Inc.

            • Ken Warner
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 29, 2007
                THink they'll have a Windows 2000 version. Win2K is even
                faster than XP...

                Marc Huff wrote:
                > The Asus EEE PC comes with the XP drivers necessary to install XP.
                >
                > The XP version hasn't been released yet.
                >
                > I subscribe to a windows XP/Vista mailing list. Deb's been talking about
                > the Asus she bought... and speaks highly of it, even after installing XP.
                >
                > _Marc Huff
                > WHdigital, Inc.

              • dmgalpha
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 29, 2007

                  > I assume you are running it under Linux. The Asus EEE would also make a
                  > cheap Canon DSLR controller if it would run under Windows (using Breeze
                  > systems' DSLR remote pro). I guess the announced Windows version is
                  not out
                  > yet?
                  >
                  > Carel
                  > --

                  I comes with Windows drivers. I don't think it will be sold with XP.
                  It will raise its price by 20-25%, I presume.

                  --dmg
                • qsecofr88888
                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 29, 2007
                    it is possible to install winxp on eee pc.
                    someone has already tested it. the screen resolution is 800x600 on
                    winxp. After install some normal softwares like office and symantec
                    software, the harddisk space left around 680MB
                    cheers

                    --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "dmgalpha" <dmgerman@...> wrote:

                    > > I assume you are running it under Linux. The Asus EEE would also
                    make a
                    > > cheap Canon DSLR controller if it would run under Windows (using
                    Breeze
                    > > systems' DSLR remote pro). I guess the announced Windows version
                    is
                    > not out
                    > > yet?
                    > >
                    > > Carel
                    > > --
                    >
                    > I comes with Windows drivers. I don't think it will be sold with XP.
                    > It will raise its price by 20-25%, I presume.
                    >

                    > --dmg

                  • qsecofr88888
                    Message 9 of 9 , Nov 29, 2007
                      one more thing to mention...the harddisk is SSD type so it only take
                      10 sec to start the winxp.