40D vs XTi for panos

  • Roger Howard
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 28, 2007
      I've been considering an early holiday gift for myself - I've put (way)
      over 100,000 shots on my poor old 20D and I'm ready for another Canon
      DSLR for shooting panos... it doesn't have to be used for anything else
      - I am not real concerned about performance beyond use for panos. I'd
      love to stick with a 1.6x crop so I don't change the lensing at the
      moment - I may get a fullframe this year for regular shooting, but since
      I do a lot with a Sigma 8 I'm not real interested in switching to a
      fullframe at the moment. That seems to leave me with two good options -
      40D and XTi.

      Anyone have practical experience with both? Aside from body styling
      differences, opinions? How similar is the body size/proportions between
      the 20D and 40D? Close enough to use the same 360Precision setup?

      Thanks for input,
    • dmgalpha
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 28, 2007
        The center of the lens in the 40d seems to be slightly above the 20d
        (around 2-3 mm).

        If you have the money, buy the 40d. It has live-preview. It is worth it.

        --dmg
      • robert_harshman
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 29, 2007
          Hi Roger,

          It is a tough choice as you could buy two Xti's for the price of one
          40D.

          I got the XTi for pano use as soon as it came out, the dust reduction
          function was why I got it over a 30D.

          Now that the 40D has this feature too, it's much closer but I also
          have to say go for the 40D.

          As noted, the live preview could be of great use, but perhaps even
          more useful is the larger buffer and faster write speeds of the 40D.
          When using the XTi and bracketing I often find myself having to wait
          for the buffer to clear. On a partly cloudy day or in a active
          environment this is obviously an issue.

          I'm planning on getting a 40D soon myself to replace the XTi as my
          main pano camera.

          And could you use a Xti or 40D interchangeably on a precision head,
          don't think so if your looking for precise alignment as the distance
          from the bottom to the center of the lens appears to me to be at
          least 2mm or more different.

          Regards,

          Robert
        • bigwade
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 29, 2007
            Hi Roger,
            If you can, try to compare higher Iso's
            The rebel xti or 400D has some more noise at high Iso's. 100-200 is oké
            If that is not important and you will get a FF also, it's maybe not a bad
            idea to go for the XTi and get a new Nodal Ninja NN5 as a bonus.
            Perfectly oké for the new FF set also, no extra (360P) investments.
            Hey, it isn't a 360P but with a lot smaller footprint and a good starting
            template it will do the job.
            Have Fun !

            rogerhoward wrote:

            > I've been considering an early holiday gift for myself - I've put (way)
            > over 100,000 shots on my poor old 20D and I'm ready for another Canon
            > DSLR for shooting panos... it doesn't have to be used for anything else
            > - I am not real concerned about performance beyond use for panos. I'd
            > love to stick with a 1.6x crop so I don't change the lensing at the
            > moment - I may get a fullframe this year for regular shooting, but since
            > I do a lot with a Sigma 8 I'm not real interested in switching to a
            > fullframe at the moment. That seems to leave me with two good options -
            > 40D and XTi.
            >
            > Anyone have practical experience with both? Aside from body styling
            > differences, opinions? How similar is the body size/proportions between
            > the 20D and 40D? Close enough to use the same 360Precision setup?
            >
            > Thanks for input,

          • Andrew Crawford
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 29, 2007
              robert_harshman wrote:
              > As noted, the live preview could be of great use, but perhaps even
              > more useful is the larger buffer and faster write speeds of the 40D.
              > When using the XTi and bracketing I often find myself having to wait
              > for the buffer to clear. On a partly cloudy day or in a active
              > environment this is obviously an issue.

              > Robert

              I was actually very interested in the live preview feature, too. It
              would be *very* convenient for some of the macro shots I like to take,
              keeping me from having to spend as much time with my face pressed into
              the dirt.

              I spoke to a Canon rep at a seminar awhile back. He was talking about
              the live preview feature. He said that the reason the older Canons do
              not have it is because it is very hard on the sensor, rapidly causing
              damage under many common circumstances. Smaller cameras with smaller
              sensors and lenses letting in less light do not have as much of a
              problem with this. He said that the live preview feature was being
              added due to popular demand but, that there would be a warning in the
              manuals explaining the risk. He also said that, very likely, such
              damage would be excluded from warranty coverage.

              I wouldn't consider this an official position from Canon but, you might
              want to check the manual or with Canon on that.

              YMMV.

              Andrew Crawford
            • bigwade
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 29, 2007
                Can anyone explain me why a live view is important with fisheye shots ?
                Focussing (:-)) ?
                Just need histogram and highlight clipping, that's all.
                Have Fun.

              • Luca Vascon
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 29, 2007
                  Well, I used them all. 40D is an ASTONISHING IMPROVEMENT in terms of
                  usability ( software interface) and what's more importat, SENSOR.
                  Files are better, sharper, 14bits you can really feel. Only better raws
                  I've seen in term of contrast handling are fuji ones.
                  Well, it is also faster, but I don't give a damn about it. Only got it
                  cause my 20D is at the end of phisycal life (long life to it!) since ity
                  is the second turn of folder names it does.
                  I did not expected SUCH an improvement. Gap between 10D and 20D was smaller.
                  40D is smoother and more silent than the 20, but not as quite as the 10D
                  I've to say.
                  400D is a small camera, unconfortable to the hand, with the best sensor
                  of the category, but it feels like a plastic toy if compared to Nikon
                  counterpart. It would be my choice, aex equo with the Sony, for a
                  bargain camera. 18-55Canon is one of the crappiest lens I've seen.
                  Good 2nd body or travel camera, but as I use a camera it would not
                  survive more than 1 year.
                  When I think to a PRO body I think about hits, moisture, shocks, rain,
                  drops, sand, and drops again, dirt and seafoam -fog. I live in Venice.
                  Camera comes with me. :-)

                  robert_harshman ha scritto:

                  > Hi Roger,
                  >
                  > It is a tough choice as you could buy two Xti's for the price of one
                  > 40D.
                  >
                  > I got the XTi for pano use as soon as it came out, the dust reduction
                  > function was why I got it over a 30D.
                  >
                  > Now that the 40D has this feature too, it's much closer but I also
                  > have to say go for the 40D.
                  >
                  > As noted, the live preview could be of great use, but perhaps even
                  > more useful is the larger buffer and faster write speeds of the 40D.
                  > When using the XTi and bracketing I often find myself having to wait
                  > for the buffer to clear. On a partly cloudy day or in a active
                  > environment this is obviously an issue.
                  >
                  > I'm planning on getting a 40D soon myself to replace the XTi as my
                  > main pano camera.
                  >
                  > And could you use a Xti or 40D interchangeably on a precision head,
                  > don't think so if your looking for precise alignment as the distance
                  > from the bottom to the center of the lens appears to me to be at
                  > least 2mm or more different.
                  >
                  > Regards,
                  >
                  > Robert

                • Charlie Hubbard
                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 29, 2007
                    I can't talk about fisheye shots specifically, but I have a 40D and I've
                    found the live preview feature to be invaluable when taking star photos
                    and other night work. The live preview has up to 10x zoom. Zoomed in
                    like that, it's much easier to get good crisp focus on stars than trying
                    to do it through the view finder. That's the one and only time I ever
                    use live preview, but, for that, it works spectacularly.

                    I upgraded from a 20D to a 40D for the dust removal, the deeper memory
                    buffer, the faster processing and the 14 bits/color/pixel it gives you
                    in raw mode (it also has a slightly larger pixel count, but I was happy
                    with the resolution of the 20D, so...). Live preview wasn't something I
                    cared about. I was really surprised when I found out that, in the right
                    circumstance, it can actually be extremely useful.

                    bigwade wrote:
                    > Can anyone explain me why a live view is important with fisheye shots ?
                    > Focussing (:-)) ?
                    > Just need histogram and highlight clipping, that's all.
                    > Have Fun.

                  • dmgalpha
                    Message 9 of 12 , Nov 29, 2007
                      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, bigwade <celsius@...> wrote:

                      > Can anyone explain me why a live view is important with fisheye shots ?
                      > Focussing (:-)) ?
                      > Just need histogram and highlight clipping, that's all.
                      > Have Fun.

                      Do you use your camera only for panos?

                      I don't. For me liveview is useful to properly focus the TS-E lenses
                      I own, and to focus properly through some of the 10 stop filters
                      I sometimes use. It is also very useful for macro work.

                      I didn't think I needed it, but now I find it very useful.

                      dmg

                    • Luca Vascon
                      Message 10 of 12 , Nov 30, 2007
                        in focussing is a REAL plus.
                        Try to focus a 55mm 1/1.2 Olympus Zuiko on a Canon camera...
                        :-DD

                        Charlie Hubbard ha scritto:

                        > I can't talk about fisheye shots specifically, but I have a 40D and I've
                        > found the live preview feature to be invaluable when taking star photos
                        > and other night work. The live preview has up to 10x zoom. Zoomed in
                        > like that, it's much easier to get good crisp focus on stars than trying
                        > to do it through the view finder. That's the one and only time I ever
                        > use live preview, but, for that, it works spectacularly.
                        >
                        > I upgraded from a 20D to a 40D for the dust removal, the deeper memory
                        > buffer, the faster processing and the 14 bits/color/pixel it gives you
                        > in raw mode (it also has a slightly larger pixel count, but I was happy
                        > with the resolution of the 20D, so...). Live preview wasn't something I
                        > cared about. I was really surprised when I found out that, in the right
                        > circumstance, it can actually be extremely useful.
                        >
                        > bigwade wrote:
                        > > Can anyone explain me why a live view is important with fisheye shots ?
                        > > Focussing (:-)) ?
                        > > Just need histogram and highlight clipping, that's all.
                        > > Have Fun.

                      • bigwade
                        Message 11 of 12 , Nov 30, 2007
                          Well, indeed I am using the 400D mostly for panorama's and otherwise for some
                          snap shots, vacation, etc. and I don't mind the plastic.....:-))
                          (For work I use 2 5D's)
                          Surched the differences between the 400D and 40D. at dpreview.com
                          a half stop extra DR, 14 bit and that's it (+ the bettter body of course)
                          I don't mind. (for now)
                          Have Fun !

                          Can't find rain pano's btw........ :-)

                          dmgalpha wrote:

                          > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, bigwade <celsius@...> wrote:
                          >>

                          >> Can anyone explain me why a live view is important with fisheye shots ?
                          >> Focussing (:-)) ?
                          >> Just need histogram and highlight clipping, that's all.
                          >> Have Fun.
                          >>

                          > Do you use your camera only for panos?
                          >
                          > I don't. For me liveview is useful to properly focus the TS-E lenses
                          > I own, and to focus properly through some of the 10 stop filters
                          > I sometimes use. It is also very useful for macro work.
                          >
                          > I didn't think I needed it, but now I find it very useful.
                          >
                          > dmg
                          >

                          >> --

                        • robert_harshman
                          Message 12 of 12 , Nov 30, 2007

                            > Can anyone explain me why a live view is important with fisheye
                            shots ?
                            > Focussing (:-)) ?

                            Live preview can be quite useful when shooting VR's. If you have a
                            dynamic setting, it can easily allow you to see what's in frame or not,
                            and that can help tell you when to "click or not."

                            All the best!

                            Robert