Re: [PanoToolsNG] new forum set up

  • mickael therer
    Message 1 of 21 , Jul 10, 2006
      ahuum,

      Yahoo and such html email suck, always have and always will, untill
      standards are achieved.
      email should just be that and no more: plain text that ALL READERS can read.

      Let's not buy into the marketing emphasis, less is really more here
      if we are to stick to email,, and I wish we quit the Yahoo model
      alltogether. Look at the garbage below, I couldn't even design a
      crappy sig like that even if I wanted to

      -m (flooded with emails and ranting in ascii)

      On 7/11/06, Carl von Einem <einem@...> wrote:

      > one of my egos wrote:
      > > I just deleted over 80 lines of garbage.
      >

      > ...and just switched from 'full featured emails' to 'traditional', so
      > much better for my eyes.

    • wblakesx
      Message 2 of 21 , Jul 10, 2006
        So umm ermm, odd shift of topic.... I dunno, I dunno... ( scratches
        chin :)> you don't like Yahoo ? Well I guess the concept can be
        improved vastly and in many ways (' rather expect that!) What are we
        talking about? Arhcie and Veronica, golfer... or some usenet news
        reader? Take it to the Max max, how can we use THIS medium? open to
        observations.- de
        what an odd email. prob don mater oriculus datum, ermmmm

        Let's have a poll on pan software, each vote weighted by how much they
        favoured the tool? How about a lenses page? etc. You no doubt know or
        suspect that VR and GE* belong together, how much more will this
        convergence expose and decree? What's been going on with the wiki?
        that sounds like something important. is it?

        Anyone who knows my namesake will perhaps remember his attemps to
        enrichen the medium, in a sense he's the inventor of MTV and much
        else. What would Mozart do with the compositional/performance tools
        available? Perhaps go mad?

        I'm after the richest experience. I've thought about it for afew years
        ( sorry, low buget ) I'd like to go to DVD, cd, web. I keep tabs on
        what's happening and 'it' has a great deal further to go yet. Now with
        Digi cams getting good the web/dvd can be a fair backbone to support
        Immmersive Video.

        BTW there's a QtVR of a hanglider with wing cams as well as the
        copilot/cameraman which is well into it... Still nice to tighen
        things up , is the author about?. Who's our Hogarth?

        If one takes many pics from varying positions is it possible to create
        one pic that is higher in definition than a single shot would yeild?
        ie of the same print size?

        *Google Earth

        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Carl von Einem <einem@...> wrote:

        > one of my egos wrote:
        > > I just deleted over 80 lines of garbage.
        >
        > ...and just switched from 'full featured emails' to 'traditional', so
        > much better for my eyes.

      • wblakesx
        Message 3 of 21 , Jul 10, 2006
          Sorry , in transition and I just caught up...

          So what sort of categories migh we want? Pans, Software, Utilility,
          Price weighting against utiliity for various uses. Comment on Lenses,
          camerae(?), spit it out we'll edit later.

          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "mickael therer" <360days@...> wrote:

          > ahuum,
          >
          > Yahoo and such html email suck, always have and always will, untill
          > standards are achieved.
          > email should just be that and no more: plain text that ALL READERS
          can read.

          > Let's not buy into the marketing emphasis, less is really more here
          > if we are to stick to email,, and I wish we quit the Yahoo model
          > alltogether. Look at the garbage below, I couldn't even design a
          > crappy sig like that even if I wanted to
          >
          > -m (flooded with emails and ranting in ascii)
          >

          > On 7/11/06, Carl von Einem <einem@...> wrote:
          > >

          > > one of my egos wrote:
          > > > I just deleted over 80 lines of garbage.
          > >

          > > ...and just switched from 'full featured emails' to 'traditional', so
          > > much better for my eyes.

        • yuval_levy
          Message 4 of 21 , Jul 10, 2006
            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, de gava <wblakesx@...> wrote:
            > For a start it would be nice to set up a faq, list of...

            Anything else?

            For a start, it would be nice if you would introduce yourself. I had a
            pleasure, like the other moderators, to read that you "did some pano
            work 6 years ago, I want to develope 'vr' skills. ". I searched for
            "de gava" and for your email address and came across nothing vr but
            the June 12 yahoo mail worm that infected so many YahooGroups. I don't
            even know if "de gava" is your real name. From Google I found out that
            you are probably in Miami and you might have written an article about
            voting machines fraud. Hot weather, eh dude?

            You will find an FAQ at <http://ptfaq.org/> - and there are other
            community ressources which at the moment are... uhum... still hijacked
            and hence I will not link them here. I am sure you can operate
            google.com, right? and maybe structure your findings as an FAQ or a
            list of links and share them with us?

            Maybe I was not clear when I wrote the welcome message to this list -
            specifically what is on topic and what is not. I've added a second
            bullet to that message under "off topic". There is another list that
            deals with how we want to organize ourself. Feel free to read it and
            make yourself aquainted with the little insignificant problems that
            this community is currently dealing with. Then make whatever
            proposition seems sensible to you. I suspect that for the time being
            you will not find many volunteers for your plans, but nice try anyway.

            Yuv
          • Carl von Einem
            Message 5 of 21 , Jul 10, 2006
              not too bad... ;-)

              yuval_levy wrote:
              > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, de gava <wblakesx@...> wrote:
              >> For a start it would be nice to set up a faq, list of...
              >
              > Anything else?
              >
              > For a start, it would be nice if you would introduce yourself. I had a
              > pleasure, like the other moderators, to read that you "did some pano
              > work 6 years ago, I want to develope 'vr' skills. ". I searched for
              > "de gava" and for your email address and came across nothing vr but
              > the June 12 yahoo mail worm that infected so many YahooGroups. I don't
              > even know if "de gava" is your real name. From Google I found out that
              > you are probably in Miami and you might have written an article about
              > voting machines fraud. Hot weather, eh dude?
              >
              > You will find an FAQ at <http://ptfaq.org/> - and there are other
              > community ressources which at the moment are... uhum... still hijacked
              > and hence I will not link them here. I am sure you can operate
              > google.com, right? and maybe structure your findings as an FAQ or a
              > list of links and share them with us?
              >
              > Maybe I was not clear when I wrote the welcome message to this list -
              > specifically what is on topic and what is not. I've added a second
              > bullet to that message under "off topic". There is another list that
              > deals with how we want to organize ourself. Feel free to read it and
              > make yourself aquainted with the little insignificant problems that
              > this community is currently dealing with. Then make whatever
              > proposition seems sensible to you. I suspect that for the time being
              > you will not find many volunteers for your plans, but nice try anyway.
              >
              > Yuv

            • Carl von Einem
              Message 6 of 21 , Jul 11, 2006
                One (read: Carl) should clearly read his own words again when posting to
                the list.

                Carl von Einem made a stupid comment:
                > not too bad...

                Trying to put some sense into that: I like this "welcome message" file
                (which I didn't receive when I was approved). So "trying out the
                features of Yahoo groups" is something I really encourage in some way. I
                also don't like the "bells and whistles" HTMl postings as they are
                really awful for digest readers and for the archive. I am actually used
                to plain ascii digests and prefer those over Yahoo's web interface.

                The FAQ asked for by "de gava" is sort of a legitimate question. So why
                not use the according sections of our group to link to the basics?

                OTOH Yuv has a good point in saying that the priorities lay on other
                topics. Maybe in calmer words?

                > yuval_levy provoked:
                >>
                >> You will find an FAQ at <http://ptfaq.org/> - and there are other
                >> community ressources which at the moment are... uhum... still hijacked
                >> and hence I will not link them here. I am sure you can operate
                >> google.com, right? and maybe structure your findings as an FAQ or a
                >> list of links and share them with us?

                Good idea: "de gava" and whoever likes to fill in some early content.
                Post it here for others or even better: look for the appropriate section

                >> Maybe I was not clear when I wrote the welcome message to this list -
                >> specifically what is on topic and what is not. I've added a second
                >> bullet to that message under "off topic". There is another list that
                >> deals with how we want to organize ourself. Feel free to read it and
                >> make yourself aquainted with the little insignificant problems that
                >> this community is currently dealing with. Then make whatever
                >> proposition seems sensible to you. I suspect that for the time being
                >> you will not find many volunteers for your plans, but nice try anyway.

                Yuv is understandably a bit concerned about others trying to bring the
                discussion away from those topics we feel to be top priority right now.
                But then... hey, this is the "non-political" list! Keep on bringing
                ideas! This list is brand new and needs some time to organize itself, we
                need everyones help!

                Carl

                ps.
                "de gava", do you have a name for us we can use without those quotation
                marks? Thanks...
              • Thomas Rauscher
                Message 7 of 21 , Jul 11, 2006
                  Hello Mickael,

                  on Tuesday, July 11, 2006, 02:16:19 you wrote:

                  mt> ahuum,

                  mt> Yahoo and such html email suck, always have and always will, untill
                  mt> standards are achieved.
                  mt> email should just be that and no more: plain text that ALL READERS can read.

                  Have you seen the option at "Edit Membership"
                  http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PanoToolsNG/join ?

                  Just set the "Message Preference" to "Traditional" and you will have
                  nice ASCII emails.... ;)

                  MfG,
                  Thomas.
                • mickael therer
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jul 11, 2006
                    am I dumb, or am I dumb ?

                    thank you Thomas !

                    -m

                    --
                    http://www.360days.com
                    http://ww2panorama.org
                    Message 9 of 21 , Jul 11, 2006
                      Well Shut my mouth(keyboard)

                      " Re: new forum set up
                      Posted by: "yuval_levy" yuval_levy@... [ my
                      email address is, like yours in the digest]

                      <wblakesx@...> wrote:
                      > For a start it would be nice to set up a faq, list
                      of...

                      "Anything else? [ yes, here was an enquiry, not a
                      statement ]

                      "For a start, it would be nice if you would introduce
                      yourself.

                      "I searched for
                      "de gava" and for your email address and came across
                      nothing vr but
                      the June 12 yahoo mail worm that infected so many ...I
                      don't
                      even know if "de gava" is your real name. From Google
                      I found out that
                      you are probably in Miami and you might have written
                      an article about
                      voting machines fraud. YahooGroups. [ and who said the
                      inquisition was dead? and this para has a peculiar
                      traducatory feel if not intent]

                      "Maybe I was not clear when I wrote the welcome
                      message to this list -
                      specifically what is on topic and what is not. [ no
                      it is Not at all clear, and if you examine it from a
                      npov...]

                      "There is another list that
                      deals with how we want to organize ourself. Feel free
                      to read it and
                      make yourself aquainted with the little insignificant
                      [ wow you have a strange prose style] problems that
                      this community is currently dealing with. [ where?
                      where's the link?, are you a good mod? or a soso mod?
                      ]
                      Then make whatever
                      proposition seems sensible to you. [ after being
                      castigated for the same thing? sorta puts a damper on
                      ykwim? as does :]
                      I suspect that for the time being
                      you will not find many volunteers for your plans [ I
                      think you may have driven a few off ], but nice try
                      anyway.[ Are you a native English speaker? this kind
                      of phrase is rather jarring, like my Italian friend
                      saying to black people and jews, "you people", of
                      course he says it to everyone, but the black people
                      don't know it. I rather hope you aren't very fluent in
                      the language]

                      Sorry all. I've alienated a mod and perhaps afew
                      others. I'm getting the feeling that it is too stuffy
                      around here and I don't need this shizo treatment.
                      Perhaps I'll place a proxy here or perhaps I'll bugger
                      off. I was trying to move the group to a higher
                      ground, but I can see many here are caught up in
                      details, like close ups.
                      -David, my real name

                      http://mail.yahoo.com
                    • de gava
                      Message 10 of 21 , Jul 12, 2006
                        I see no answer to my last post perhaps i should
                        drop the issue and move on, but first: It should be
                        remembered by those on the digest scheme that Fora
                        are arranged by Threads. Threads are easy to opt out
                        of and contain their own subject matter, so why a
                        narrow and capricious take on what may be posted?
                        After all many have made 'off topic ' comments and
                        will continue. Otoh this is a new beginning and a
                        proper time and place to Institute...institutional
                        utilities.
                        That said, and hoping and 'controversy' is settled,
                        noted that Fora have threads as a constituent and a
                        proper differentiation pointed out, : I belong to a
                        Forum for old cars ( to keep mine running). Everytime
                        I go there there is at least one post from the
                        ministers stating that For Sale items have their own
                        page and a link give. This thread is posted Every
                        dayin that forum. Explicitly, such a device can aid
                        navigation tremendously as it can tip to a nav page
                        and queries can be directected there.
                        As it is the thread will jumble, perhaps that will
                        make for more dedicated membership, there's generally
                        a sort of yin to yang thing, but it also opens up some
                        other probs.
                        I hope someone is glad I didn't just bugger off.
                        Hope some here can read the tea leaves.

                        http://mail.yahoo.com
                      • serge Maandag (yahoo)
                        Message 11 of 21 , Jul 12, 2006
                          > After all many have made 'off topic ' comments and
                          > will continue. Otoh this is a new beginning and a
                          > proper time and place to Institute...institutional
                          > utilities.

                          Off-topic will only become a problem once it gets annoying.
                          No worries. This looks to me like something regarding a
                          wish list for rules/regulations. That definitely belongs to
                          the Panotools-List list :)
                          Please join us there.

                          > I hope someone is glad I didn't just bugger off.

                          Yep, here is one.
                          Welcome to the group!

                          Serge.
                        • tflyfish2002
                          Message 12 of 21 , Jul 12, 2006
                            Man,
                            You've got more Rabbit than Sainsbury's.
                            Why not sign your posts and you might get taken a bit more seriously.
                            I don't wish to start a Flame war, but the word Troll comes to mind.
                            So correct me if I am wrong.

                            Bazzer-- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, de gava <wblakesx@...> wrote:

                            > I see no answer to my last post perhaps i should
                            > drop the issue and move on, but first: It should be
                            > remembered by those on the digest scheme that Fora
                            > are arranged by Threads. Threads are easy to opt out
                            > of and contain their own subject matter, so why a
                            > narrow and capricious take on what may be posted?
                            > After all many have made 'off topic ' comments and
                            > will continue. Otoh this is a new beginning and a
                            > proper time and place to Institute...institutional
                            > utilities.
                            > That said, and hoping and 'controversy' is settled,
                            > noted that Fora have threads as a constituent and a
                            > proper differentiation pointed out, : I belong to a
                            > Forum for old cars ( to keep mine running). Everytime
                            > I go there there is at least one post from the
                            > ministers stating that For Sale items have their own
                            > page and a link give. This thread is posted Every
                            > dayin that forum. Explicitly, such a device can aid
                            > navigation tremendously as it can tip to a nav page
                            > and queries can be directected there.
                            > As it is the thread will jumble, perhaps that will
                            > make for more dedicated membership, there's generally
                            > a sort of yin to yang thing, but it also opens up some
                            > other probs.
                            > I hope someone is glad I didn't just bugger off.
                            > Hope some here can read the tea leaves.

                            > http://mail.yahoo.com

                          • Ian Wood
                            Message 13 of 21 , Jul 13, 2006
                              (Puts on shiny new moderators hat)

                              This list is for shiny, happy people having fun discussing panoramas.

                              All politics and/or list management topics should be discussed in the
                              appropriate place:

                              (Takes off shiny new moderators hat)

                              Ian
                            • yuval_levy
                              Message 14 of 21 , Jul 13, 2006
                                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Ian Wood <panolists@...> wrote:

                                > (Puts on shiny new moderators hat)
                                >
                                > This list is for shiny, happy people having fun discussing panoramas.
                                >
                                > All politics and/or list management topics should be discussed in the
                                > appropriate place:
                                >
                                > (Takes off shiny new moderators hat)

                                I think this is what Bazzer was trying to say to our exhuberant
                                anonymous newbie and I respect Bazzer for that. We know him and we
                                know he does not have flowers in his mouth. We know his panoramas work
                                and we know that he is often helpful with peer support online.

                                Not things that can be said about "de gava", who wonders why a Jew
                                with Italian as mother tongue and four additional languages under his
                                belt does not answer his off-topic posts and off-list provocations in
                                which his answer to a request for panorama related credential reads
                                like a dating ad?

                                People who have been around in this community long enough know me and
                                my panorama credentials. They also know that I don't have flowers in
                                my mouth either. I rather not answer the provocation than spit fire.

                                shiny happy people laughing.
                                Yuv
                              • de gava
                                Message 15 of 21 , Jul 13, 2006
                                  This is outrageous use of this list after the caution
                                  given by this jerk to me!!! Bipolar is my guess. Loose
                                  name dropping and putting words into other's mouths
                                  seems alittle too 'happy' for me. He has my email and
                                  is abusing the list and any staus mod or not within. I
                                  take this as a personal attack as is generally grounds
                                  for banning or a caution. And the Anti Jew Jew baiting
                                  is extemely offensive.

                                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                                • Kathy Wheeler
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Jul 13, 2006
                                    I am sure I do not need to remind the good members of this list that
                                    inflammatory posts, deliberate or otherwise, should not be responded
                                    to either on list or off.

                                    Regards,
                                    KathyW.
                                  • Flemming V. Larsen
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Jul 14, 2006
                                      Totally agree. As a wise person once said:

                                      "Not until we understand, that deep down we really don't understand each
                                      other, we can begin to understand"

                                      so be polite and tolerant - and if you still want to bang your head on
                                      somebody try some other place - perhaps here.....;-):
                                      http://widelec.org/zidane.html

                                      - Flemming ;-)