navigation instructions for visitors

  • erik leeman
    Message 1 of 24 , Nov 27, 2007
      Hi all,
      I am trying to find a way to instruct visitors who have never seen
      360x180 VRs before (and there are MANY out there!) about what they are
      and how to 'move around' in them. Here is my latest experiment:

      http://www.erikleeman.com/HTM/en-pano-instructions.html

      Would you (placing yourself in a position of someone completely
      unfamiliar with anything VR) consider something like this overkill or
      perhaps annoying? It is sooo difficult to find the right 'tone' for
      instructions like this, but many people just 'don't get it' if you
      don't provide any. Any suggestions for improvement or even a better
      strategy are very welcome!

      Regards,

      erik leeman

      (www.erikleeman.com)
    • Jaume Llorens
      Message 2 of 24 , Nov 27, 2007
        Hi Erik,

        I like how viewat.org does it:
        - "Click and drag image", just at the beggining.
        - Autorotate
        - And the icons to zoom in and zoom out at the bottom of the image..

        In my opinion. anybody who has never seen a VR before has details
        enought to understand how can it works...

        Jaume
        www.vistes360.com

        En/na erik leeman ha escrit:

        > Hi all,
        > I am trying to find a way to instruct visitors who have never seen
        > 360x180 VRs before (and there are MANY out there!) about what they are
        > and how to 'move around' in them. Here is my latest experiment:
        >
        > http://www.erikleeman.com/HTM/en-pano-instructions.html
        > <http://www.erikleeman.com/HTM/en-pano-instructions.html>
        >
        > Would you (placing yourself in a position of someone completely
        > unfamiliar with anything VR) consider something like this overkill or
        > perhaps annoying? It is sooo difficult to find the right 'tone' for
        > instructions like this, but many people just 'don't get it' if you
        > don't provide any. Any suggestions for improvement or even a better
        > strategy are very welcome!
        >
        > Regards,
        >
        > erik leeman
        >
        > (www.erikleeman.com)

      • erik leeman
        Message 3 of 24 , Nov 27, 2007
          I've seen them, but when you already know what to do those hints are
          irritating (to me at least). This particular page is only intended to
          assist those who really need it. I want to keep the actual pano pages
          as 'clean' as possible, so in addition I'll also have to find a way to
          gently coax people to this page without offending them : )

          Regards,

          erik leeman

          (www.erikleeman.com)
        • Sacha Griffin
          Message 4 of 24 , Nov 27, 2007
            I like that a lot. I think it would be very helpful.

            You should provide a psd/template/etc so we all can rip off your good work.
            :-)

            On your blurry image panel, the last line doesn't make any sense however.

            I think you could skip using a low rez altogether, and just use a decent
            sample, or grid or something

            Sacha Griffin
            www.southern-digital.com
            www.seeit360.net
            www.ezphotosafe.com
            404-551-4275
            404-731-7798

            _____

            Message 5 of 24 , Nov 27, 2007
              I used a similar concept 5 or so years ago:

              http://209.200.109.130/esporta_tutorial.mov

              You'd be surprised at the time how few people knew how to navigate a
              QTVR movie. The majority just enjoyed them a still images.

              Matt

              On 27 Nov 2007, at 18:33, Sacha Griffin wrote:

              > I like that a lot. I think it would be very helpful.
              >
              > You should provide a psd/template/etc so we all can rip off your
              > good work.
              > :-)
              >
              > On your blurry image panel, the last line doesn't make any sense
              > however.
              >
              > I think you could skip using a low rez altogether, and just use a
              > decent
              > sample, or grid or something
              >
              > Sacha Griffin
              > www.southern-digital.com
              > www.seeit360.net
              > www.ezphotosafe.com
              > 404-551-4275
              > 404-731-7798
              >
              > _____

            • erik leeman
              Message 6 of 24 , Nov 27, 2007
                Hi Sacha, thanks for taking a look!

                "On your blurry image panel, the last line doesn't make any sense
                however"
                Well that was intended as an explanation for people from this forum,
                it won't stay there.

                "I think you could skip using a low rez altogether, and just use a
                decent sample, or grid or something"

                The .mov and .swf files are about 650kB now and I'd very much like
                them to be a lot smaller than this. The suggestion of a natural
                landscape in the background should help people know 'where they are'
                so to speak. It is too easy to get desorientated in a more synthetic
                structure like a grid since there is no visual link to the physical
                world then.
                In the meantime I've added some text about zooming in and out, I have
                no Mac myself so I still have to find out what keys you guys use for
                this : )

                I think it would be more than just 'nice' to have some sort
                of 'industry standard' for this. If we cannot adequately instruct or
                educate potential users of our work in the two or three minutes they
                allow us before deciding it doesn't work and they aren't interested
                we are never going to earn a decent living making high quality VRs.

                Regards,

                erik leeman

                (www.erikleeman.com)
              • erik leeman
                Message 7 of 24 , Nov 27, 2007
                  That's a very clear and understandable set of instructions Matt.
                  However I have the feeling it is too much disconnected from navigating
                  in a Virtual Reality image that's supposed to be 'immersive'.
                  In a way it could also spoil the illusion by showing how it works, a
                  bit like explaining a magic trick prior to performing it and still
                  expecting the audience to be surprized. I hope you see what I mean.

                  "You'd be surprised at the time how few people knew how to navigate a
                  QTVR movie. The majority just enjoyed them a still images."
                  Well, actually I am very worried to see how little that has changed
                  over the years. To make VRs autorotate doesn't help either because the
                  same majority then still enjoys them passively as 'never ending
                  movies'. "Oh, what a nice screensaver".

                  Regards,

                  erik leeman

                  (www.erikleeman.com)
                • Mark D. Fink
                  Message 8 of 24 , Nov 27, 2007
                    Erik,

                    This is a great tutorial for newbies to VR. I really like it, and will use
                    something similar when I redo my site. What I think I'll also do is put a
                    small icon on pages that launch panos with a "If this is your first
                    experience with VR, then click here." That would open up a pano with these
                    instructions. Of course, I'd also include it on my home page, but if someone
                    gets a direct link deep into my site, I'd still like them to have the chance
                    to be educated.

                    I would encourage all of us to do something similar, that is with Erik's
                    pano. That way, we have a consistent approach to educating people that they
                    will recognize from one site to the next. The more united we are, the better
                    the chances of getting everyone up to speed on how this works.

                    Mark

                    www.pinnacle-vr.com <http://www.pinnacle-vr.com/>

                    www.northernlight.net <http://www.northernlight.net/>

                    _____

                    Message 9 of 24 , Nov 27, 2007
                      How about a big red flashing: "USE THE MOUSE YOU DOLT!"

                    • matt_nolan_uaf
                      Message 10 of 24 , Nov 27, 2007
                        Erik,

                        I think that is great. I'd like to do something like that too, as I
                        have found that I get feedback on mine from people that dont realize
                        that these things move either, yet enjoy them as still images. Can I
                        point to this image from my (as yet not posted) site?

                        One suggestion I have to further add to the educational aspects is to
                        perhaps add a hotspot to demonstrate how they work. Perhaps in
                        the 'blurry image' section you could add a link to the full resolution
                        version without text?

                        -Matt
                      • luc_villeneuve
                        Message 11 of 24 , Nov 27, 2007
                          Hi,

                          A short movie could also do the job. There is many screen capture
                          utilities that allows you to record what's going on on your monitor. I
                          now create technical video instead of a technical bulletin (PDF)

                          Maybe I would not blur the image but instead, draw a black box with
                          reverse type or the opposite, a white box with black type.

                          Cheers

                          On 27 nov. 2007, at 17:09, matt_nolan_uaf wrote:

                          > Erik,
                          >
                          > I think that is great. I'd like to do something like that too, as I
                          > have found that I get feedback on mine from people that dont realize
                          > that these things move either, yet enjoy them as still images. Can I
                          > point to this image from my (as yet not posted) site?
                          >
                          > One suggestion I have to further add to the educational aspects is to
                          > perhaps add a hotspot to demonstrate how they work. Perhaps in
                          > the 'blurry image' section you could add a link to the full resolution
                          > version without text?
                          >
                          > -Matt

                        • Roger D. Williams
                          Message 12 of 24 , Nov 27, 2007
                            On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 23:44:30 +0900, erik leeman <erik.leeman@...>
                            wrote:

                            > Hi all,
                            > I am trying to find a way to instruct visitors who have never seen
                            > 360x180 VRs before (and there are MANY out there!) about what they are
                            > and how to 'move around' in them. Here is my latest experiment:
                            >
                            > http://www.erikleeman.com/HTM/en-pano-instructions.html
                            >
                            > Would you (placing yourself in a position of someone completely
                            > unfamiliar with anything VR) consider something like this overkill or
                            > perhaps annoying? It is sooo difficult to find the right 'tone' for
                            > instructions like this, but many people just 'don't get it' if you
                            > don't provide any. Any suggestions for improvement or even a better
                            > strategy are very welcome!

                            I totally support you in attempting to get people to enjoy VR using the
                            controls to pan and zoom. I have been saddened to find out how few do
                            indeed "get it." But gladdened at the reaction when they DO.

                            I think the wording of the explanations is generally fine. I do have
                            one minor quibble, but you'd have to give a longer explanation to
                            clear up the issue and they are already about as long as you could
                            expect people to read... Longer, maybe <wry grin>.

                            The problem is getting people to go to your explanatory image. You
                            wouldn't want to plaster this all over the first image they selected
                            from your panoramas, would you? That MIGHT work if the text slowly
                            faded away, or if the explanations included a HOT SPOT that would
                            both take you to the unadorned image AND store a cookie that would
                            tell your server not to provide the adorned image first on all
                            subsequent accesses by the same computer. But not everyone has
                            cookies enabled. <sigh>

                            Roger W.

                            --
                            Work: www.adex-japan.com
                            Play: www.usefilm.com/member/roger
                            Message 13 of 24 , Nov 27, 2007
                              I like your idea if you have a "panoramas for Dummies" intro page that
                              is easily skipped, but I tend to put in simple verbal instructions with
                              each pano, for example:

                              http://www.mtritter.org/panoramas/Tooth_of_Time/

                              I generally include the navigation info within the description of the
                              pano. Obviously, this view is the small PTViewer version, but the
                              viewer can click on the QTVR version if they desire.

                              /s/jar (Alan Ritter, jar@...)
                              http://www.mtritter.org
                            • erik leeman
                              Message 14 of 24 , Nov 28, 2007
                                That hotspot is a very good idea, thanks!

                                I don't mind if you provide a link on your site, but please note that
                                this page isn't quite ready yet (as is the rest of my site), some
                                things will probably be changed a bit. As soon as I think it's good
                                enough I'll provide a zipfile with the .psd's without the background so
                                anyone who wants to can make his own version. Oh, the cubeface size I
                                used for this one was 800x800.

                                Regards,

                                erik leeman

                                (www.erikleeman.com)
                              • erik leeman
                                Message 15 of 24 , Nov 28, 2007
                                  Grrrrr, the Flash9 hotspot doesn't work in IE6 on WinXP.
                                  It has this (local)URL:

                                  english-showpano-small.html?pano=07-06-26-Prugnanes-600x450

                                  but IE doesn't use the parameter part, it just opens the empty showpano
                                  page. In Firefox it does work, although it opens a new tab when it's
                                  not supposed to.
                                  The QuickTime version works exactly like it should in both browsers.
                                  So what's wrong this time..... *sigh*

                                  Regards,

                                  erik leeman

                                  (www.erikleeman.com)
                                • Roger D. Williams
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Nov 28, 2007
                                    On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 03:19:10 +0900, erik leeman <erik.leeman@...>
                                    wrote:

                                    > That hotspot is a very good idea, thanks!
                                    >
                                    > I don't mind if you provide a link on your site, but please note that
                                    > this page isn't quite ready yet (as is the rest of my site), some
                                    > things will probably be changed a bit. As soon as I think it's good
                                    > enough I'll provide a zipfile with the .psd's without the background so
                                    > anyone who wants to can make his own version. Oh, the cubeface size I
                                    > used for this one was 800x800.

                                    Thank you, Erik, that is most generous of you. I look forward to seeing
                                    the psd (and using it). I will post an acknowledgement, too!

                                    Roger

                                    Message 17 of 24 , Nov 29, 2007
                                      The hotspots in the Deval, QuickTime and Flash9 versions appear to be
                                      working now in WinXP + IE6 and Firefox 2.0.0.10. I can only hope they
                                      also work in other browsers too.
                                      Please tell me if they do (or do not).

                                      Here's the link again:
                                      http://www.erikleeman.com/HTM/en-pano-instructions.html

                                      I'll upload a zipfile with the .psd's as they are now, if a significant
                                      improvement is made I can always change the zipfile : )

                                      Regards,

                                      erik leeman

                                      (www.erikleeman.com)
                                    • Eduardo Hutter
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Nov 29, 2007
                                        Hey Erik,

                                        Very useful and good concept.

                                        I'm on W2k. It worked as expected on IE 6 but I had a couple problems
                                        with Firefox 1.5.0:

                                        - DevalVR - hotspot had to be clicked a second time to work;
                                        - Flash - Try to as a popup window (don't know if that's intended) and
                                        get blocked.

                                        I think it would be interesting to have a "go back" on the normal
                                        version just like the one on the blurry.

                                        cheers (and thanks for the psd :),

                                        Eduardo

                                        erik leeman wrote:

                                        > The hotspots in the Deval, QuickTime and Flash9 versions appear to be
                                        > working now in WinXP + IE6 and Firefox 2.0.0.10. I can only hope
                                        > they also work in other browsers too. Please tell me if they do (or
                                        > do not).
                                        >
                                        > Here's the link again:
                                        > http://www.erikleeman.com/HTM/en-pano-instructions.html
                                        > <http://www.erikleeman.com/HTM/en-pano-instructions.html>
                                        >
                                        > I'll upload a zipfile with the .psd's as they are now, if a
                                        > significant improvement is made I can always change the zipfile : )
                                        >
                                        > Regards,
                                        >
                                        > erik leeman
                                        >
                                        > (www.erikleeman.com)
                                      • erik leeman
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Nov 29, 2007
                                          Here's the link to the zip file:

                                          www.erikleeman.com\ZIP\VR_tutorial_EN_psd.zip

                                          The file is 698KB and contains 6 .psd's (PS CS2), one for each cubeface.
                                          The cubeface size I used was 800x800 pixels, so you may have to scale
                                          them to the size you prefer.
                                          It's nothing very spectacular really, but for those interested it might
                                          save some time setting up something similar.
                                          It will be interesting to see what others come up with : )

                                          Oh, and I forgot to edit the Mac keys for zooming in and out,
                                          sorry 'bout that, I still have to look up what they are.

                                          Regards,

                                          erik leeman

                                          (www.erikleeman.com)
                                        • erik leeman
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Nov 29, 2007
                                            Sorry, slashes the wrong way around....

                                            http://www.erikleeman.com/ZIP/VR_tutorial_EN_psd.zip
                                          • luc.villeneuve
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Nov 30, 2007
                                              Erik,
                                              Keyboard equivalent are the same on Mac

                                              Luc

                                              > Oh, and I forgot to edit the Mac keys for zooming in and out,
                                              > sorry 'bout that, I still have to look up what they are.
                                              >
                                              > Regards,
                                              >
                                              > erik leeman
                                              >
                                              > (www.erikleeman.com)

                                            • Hans Nyberg
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Nov 30, 2007
                                                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "luc.villeneuve" <luc_villeneuve@...> wrote:

                                                > Erik,
                                                > Keyboard equivalent are the same on Mac

                                                Not always.
                                                Flashpanoramas is using Option instead of CTRL for zooming out on Mac.
                                                Asked him to get this fixed several time without luck.

                                                Hans
                                              • erik leeman
                                                Message 23 of 24 , Nov 30, 2007
                                                  Thanks Luc, I modified the cubeface .psd in the zipfile accordingly.

                                                  Regards,

                                                  erik leeman

                                                  (www.erikleeman.com)
                                                • yuval_levy
                                                  Message 24 of 24 , Dec 2, 2007
                                                    > Flashpanoramas is using Option instead of CTRL for zooming out on Mac.
                                                    > Asked him to get this fixed several time without luck.

                                                    you are asking the wrong party. there is nothing Dennis can do about this.

                                                    Flash doesn't handle Mac Ctrl at all, and it returns all Options'
                                                    pressures as Ctrl's pressures.

                                                    next time, ask Adobe.

                                                    Yuv

                                                    P.S.: Erik, your navigation instructions are great, thanks for sharing!