Using Line Control Points in PTgui

  • lovefilm
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 26, 2007
      Can any one provide some step by step instructions for using the Line
      Controls in PTgui to try and get transmission wires to line up properly.

      I consulted the PTgui help files but I am still a bit confused.

      Should the control points be placed on the same image, or different,
      overlapping images?

      What is the best way to place such control points?

      And what settings do I then use before running theoptimizer?

      I took a 4 shot pano atop a monopod with a Sigma 8mm, so the
      sequence is not as accurate as what I usually work with. But the
      pano did stitch together really well - the only off points are the
      transmission lines.

      Changing from PTgui's blender to smartblend helped a bit - but not
      enough.

      Thanks!
    • John Houghton
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 26, 2007
        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "lovefilm" <lovefilm@...> wrote:

        > What is the best way to place such control points?

        You place them along the straight line feature that you want to
        align. You will need to place them along a section of the wire
        (short enough to be considered "straight") that appears in both
        overlapping images, so points on both images will be necessary. It
        doesn't matter if the pair of points that constitute each control
        point lie in the same image or different images. All that matters is
        that all the points on the same line are specified as the same type -
        e.g. t3. Optimize as normal: lens parameters and y,p,r with an
        anchor image. You must use PTOptimizer for this as PTGui doesn't
        support line control points.

        However, there are dangers. The overhead wires might well be moving
        about in the wind and so maybe should not align anyway. The solution
        I would adopt is to align the wires in Photoshop, which is easy to
        do. You make a selection along the errant wire starting at the break
        point. Then ctrl/c and ctrl/v to copy the section to a new layer.
        Use Edit->Transform->Rotate or Skew, with the centre point moved to
        the far end of the selection to act as the rotation point, and align
        the wires. Flatten, and tidy the join if necessary. Much quicker
        than restitching.

        John
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 26, 2007
          On Monday, November 26, 2007 at 19:57, lovefilm wrote:

          > Can any one provide some step by step instructions for using the Line
          > Controls in PTgui to try and get transmission wires to line up properly.

          Use straight line control points and set them in the two images where
          the wires don't match. Set them as close as possible to the points
          where you would set normal control points (if there was recognizable
          structure). Since you have to set a total of four points, set two in
          each image on both sides of the point but on the wire of course where
          you (or PTGui) would estimate a normal control point. Don't set them
          too close to each other, but not too far either, since the wires are
          bent in reality.

          best regards

        • lovefilm
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 26, 2007
            Thanks for the tips on line control use. I agree - far easier to
            edit in PhotoShop then the trial and error of effectively setting such
            points. I had little success.

            Even though the fix was relatively easy in PhotoShop, I did keep at it
            because I wanted to try and master a new technique in the PTgui
            tool-set. My source images may not have been the best for this
            technique, though. It was a bit windy when I shot and I was free
            holding a monopod above my head. So maybe I need to practice on other
            material to see how line control points actually work - and whether it
            is worth spending time to set and render them.
          • Bjørn K Nilssen
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 29, 2007
              On 27 Nov 2007 at 4:29, lovefilm wrote:

              > Thanks for the tips on line control use. I agree - far easier to
              > edit in PhotoShop then the trial and error of effectively setting such
              > points. I had little success.
              >
              > Even though the fix was relatively easy in PhotoShop, I did keep at it
              > because I wanted to try and master a new technique in the PTgui
              > tool-set. My source images may not have been the best for this
              > technique, though. It was a bit windy when I shot and I was free
              > holding a monopod above my head. So maybe I need to practice on other
              > material to see how line control points actually work - and whether it
              > is worth spending time to set and render them.

              You are aware of that the line control points need to be on a straight line?
              I don't think you'll ever find a straight transmission wire, or any wire connected
              between 2 fixed points. No matter how tight it is it will always sag a little.

              BTW, in PS you could also use Ctrl+J and then Free Transform with Ctrl-drag corners, or
              switch to Warp. Then before flattening it again you could add a Layer mask and paint
              black with a soft brush on it to hide any evidence.--