just a crazy idea

  • Carl von Einem
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 19, 2007
      I wonder who will be the first to make a panohead (or a simple lens
      bracket) with a service like this:
      http://www.ponoko.com/

      ...out of "Flouro-Green" acrylic maybe? :-)

      Carl
    • Eric O'Brien
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 19, 2007
        Let's see them offer cutting by high pressure water jet, and some
        *metal* materials... then it might get interesting. :)

        eo

        On Nov 19, 2007, at 4:18 AM, Carl von Einem wrote:

        > I wonder who will be the first to make a panohead (or a simple lens
        > bracket) with a service like this:
        > http://www.ponoko.com/
        >
        > ...out of "Flouro-Green" acrylic maybe? :-)
        >
        > Carl

      • Freddy Stapersma
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 20, 2007
          I would not recommend to build it from the materials provided.
          I've tried to build one from 6mm acryllic and it broke.
          with a 350D and sigma 8mm... standing on the tripod inside the house.
          lucky the neckstrap hold it from valling on the ground...

          later I build one from 2x 6mm acrylic and that was strong enough.
          maybe the MDF would do.. but does not look so nice.
          If wanted I can share the drawings I made for my panohead?
          image:
          http://tinyurl.com/34nupg

          Regards.
          freddy

          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 20, 2007
            On Tuesday, November 20, 2007 at 19:27, Freddy Stapersma wrote:

            > I would not recommend to build it from the materials provided.
            > I've tried to build one from 6mm acryllic and it broke.

            If I'd use acryllic for a pano rig I wouldn't use it below 20mm ;-)
            6mm is nothing, even 10mm is far too weak. If you ever used it at all
            you should get a feeling what is possible and what not...

            And, by the way: Nylon from cheap chopping boards is far better if it
            must be plastic...

            best regards
          • Ken Warner
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 20, 2007
              I use a pipe clamp I found in the hardware store.

              It fits the adapter tube on my compact perfectly.