360 Video

  • crane@ukonline.co.uk
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 15, 2006
      How do they do that ?

      http://tinyurl.com/oa6sv

      I was there taking panoramas too.

      regards

      michael crane

    • hmmsomethingelse
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 15, 2006
        > How do they do that ?

        Looks like an old behere oneshot lens
        http://www.bbc.co.uk/london/content/articles/2004/08/17/360_londoneyevideo_feature.shtml

        http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,17152-page,1/article.html

        I've also seen people make them by using other one shot lens's with a
        camcorder pointed at them, or a fast shooting still camera, and then
        using vrhotwires to turn it into a quicktime mov but don't really know
        how.

        Presumably the bbc use some sort of behere provided software to unwrap
        the donuts? Don't know if they still make it, on the other hand they
        do seem to be focusing more on videoconferencing these days so perhaps
        it is a modern version of the discontinued oneshot lens system.
      • hmmsomethingelse
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 15, 2006
          Yup I'd definitly say behere as they even use their realplayer plugin.
          No mention of it on the behere website, I wonder if you can still buy
          the software or similar? Anyone know?

          Seen much better quality by people with other systems in quicktime
          mind, but much bigger files too. The london eye tour is great but you
          can't really see much, same with the ballons.
        • hmmsomethingelse
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 15, 2006
            Oh and this I saw the other day and quite liked too, a bit higher
            quality but with a 10,000 dollar 360 video camera
            http://lists.apple.com/archives/QuickTime-VR/2006/Aug/msg00107.html
          • Torsten Hemke
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 15, 2006
              there are a windows media player version too?

              Torsten

              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 15, 2006
                > there are a windows media player version too?

                Of the previously posted bbc and vrhotwires examples? No I don't think
                so. Of behere technology in general a quick google sugests they
                provided an activex plugin for windows media
                http://www.panoramic-imaging.com/360video/samples.htm the rockinham
                motor speedway example with two viewing windows is quite cool.

                That said how much time anyone should invest in an appartantly
                discontinued techology I don't know. Behere may become like vrml, it
                was exciting in 1999 but now its practically impossible to view.

                I can see the quicktime high quality stuff would be cool on a cdrom or
                kiosk display though. On the internet mind I think full screen vr
                would be so huge I think it would swamp most websites.
              • gregoryv92821
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 22, 2010
                  I have been making interactive panos for the past year or so with pretty good success. It looks to me like the 360 video interactive panos are really starting to make some noise and I want to give it a try.

                  Does anyone have any advice on how to get started without mortgaging the house?

                  All suggestions are welcome.

                  Thanks for your help,

                  Greg
                • tom_a_sparks
                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 22, 2010
                    --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "gregoryv92821" <gregvoisan@...> wrote:

                    > I have been making interactive panos for the past year or so with pretty good success. It looks to me like the 360 video interactive panos are really starting to make some noise and I want to give it a try.
                    >
                    > Does anyone have any advice on how to get started without mortgaging the house?
                    >
                    > All suggestions are welcome.
                    >
                    > Thanks for your help,
                    >
                    > Greg

                    have looked at http://www.diy-streetview.org/ or http://www.ryubin.com/panolab/panoflash/exhibition_spherecam_experiment01.html
                    the only thing is the cameras have a very low 640x480 video mode

                    you could contact elphel.com to make you one (witch I am currently doing cost apox US$2,500)

                    tom
                  • jglasse@kogeto.com
                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 26, 2010
                      Greg,

                      Not to pollute the NG with a sales pitch, but our camera Lucy captures
                      panoramic video using a 1080P sensor pointed at a curved mirror, which, when
                      dewarped, resolves to just over 500 vertical lines of resolution. You can
                      see some sample footage here:

                      http://www.kogeto.com/panosamples/lucy_samples.mov

                      And a version of the same video played back in Videowarp from EyeSee360:

                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vdOYyHudY8

                      We¹re in final testing of our panoramic video player; once we¹ve completed
                      it we¹ll be posting this footage and more on our website at kogeto.com.

                      Best,

                      Jeff

                      Jeff Glasse
                      Founder & CEO | Kogeto, llc.
                      917.853.7563 |  http://www.kogeto.com

                    • lists
                      Message 10 of 13 , Apr 11 8:02 AM

                        I am getting back into the game after raising our kids and I noticed a lot of competition is doing 360 Video and charging nothing to do all of this. It looks like I need to reinvest in automated equipment to keep up and keep things quicker for low end real estate. Is anyone doing 360 video for real estate and for high end work? What equipment and software do you use? I am a cannon shooter. Thanks.

                        Daniel Sarno

                        Message 11 of 13 , Apr 11 11:16 AM
                          Am 11.04.2017 um 17:02 schrieb lists:
                          > I am getting back into the game after raising our kids and I noticed a lot
                          > of competition is doing 360 Video and charging nothing to do all of this. It
                          > looks like I need to reinvest in automated equipment to keep up and keep
                          > things quicker for low end real estate. Is anyone doing 360 video for real
                          > estate and for high end work? What equipment and software do you use? I am a
                          > cannon shooter. Thanks.

                          Just my personal opinion: 360Video is over-hyped. The quality is
                          generally low, not only due to bandwidth restrictions (you need a 4k
                          Video for a 640x480 viewport), but also because the devices are still
                          crappy (dynamic range is very low). Parallax errors are inevitable due
                          to multi-camera-rigs. And what is the point to have the ability to look
                          sideways or even back when the camera moves forward? A still spherical
                          panorama with good resolution is far better IMHO, where I can look at
                          anything unhurriedly.

                          However, there is very little traffic on this list. Most users have
                          moved to https://www.facebook.com/groups/panoramicphotographers/

                        • luc.villeneuve
                          Message 12 of 13 , Apr 11 11:53 AM
                            The other day, I went to see, in a museum, a 360 video of 8 or 10 historical museum. When I went there, I was already a little bit skeptical about the quality of the video. It was a big deception. Fortunately, the soundtrack supporting the video was interesting which compensate the lack of visual excitement.

                            Because you can add the same soundtrack to a 360° panorama, I agree with Erik, a photo better serve the message.

                          • Brian Richards
                            Message 13 of 13 , Apr 11 7:26 PM
                              The Samsung Gear 360 is an easy inexpensive way to dip your toe in the water, the current version does 4K video and 30mp stills and the quality is as good as you can get without spending thousands of dollars, and is now only $189 on Amazon now. Ideally you need a Samsung phone to run the app, but it can work without as long as you have a Windows PC to process the files. The new 2017 version is due out soon and that will work with an Apple iPhone too, the 4K video is slightly enhanced but the stills drop to 15mp, rumor has it the price will be $250 - $300.

                              Brian Richards