[PanoToolsNG] Hama Panorama kit - what is that ?

  • Jann Lipka
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 4, 2007
      I was told, and it looks from pressreleases I read
      that this kit turns automatically the camera during pano session .
      Aka motorized pano robot for 30 € ?? !!

      OTOH it is so cheap that it simply cannot be true ..
      Anyone with any hands on experience with this piece ?

    • Flemming V. Larsen
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 4, 2007
        Don't think they can have a motor in that small box - unless they use a
        spirng or a rubberband ;-)

        http://kortlink.dk/hama/4dd2
      • murray
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 4, 2007
          It is probably the text on this page...
          http://www.photoaxe.com/hama-panorama-kit/
          that is causing the confusion.
          Likely to be just poor translation to english but it does give the
          impression that it is automatic.
          Quote: "The panoramic plate which turns the camera frame by frame while the
          camera shoots one shot after the other."
          Looking at the image though there's no way there's any kind of motor in
          there. Looks to me like its just a spirit level and an attachment with
          preset angles on it. I was hoping for a moment it might finally be a
          reasonably priced (no-parallax) panhead... but alas I think it is to good to
          be true.

          Murray

          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 4, 2007
            On Sunday, November 04, 2007 at 14:00, Jann Lipka wrote:

            > I was told, and it looks from pressreleases I read
            > that this kit turns automatically the camera during pano session .
            > Aka motorized pano robot for 30 ¬ ?? !!

            No, of course not. Choose your favourite discounter page:
            http://www.google.com/search?as_q=Hama+Panorama+kit&hl=en

            > OTOH it is so cheap that it simply cannot be true ..
            > Anyone with any hands on experience with this piece ?

            I'd rather not touch it ;-)

            best regards
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 4, 2007
              On Monday, November 05, 2007 at 11:31, murray wrote:

              > Looks to me like its just a spirit level and an attachment with
              > preset angles on it. I was hoping for a moment it might finally be a
              > reasonably priced (no-parallax) panhead... but alas I think it is to good to
              > be true.

              ... there seems to be only one preset angle, but I couldn't find any
              hint on the value.

              If I would like a cheap panorama plate I'd go for
              http://tinyurl.com/3yrxll (attention, german, and a really awful
              page) Currently they seem give it away for free...

              best regards
            • John Houghton
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 4, 2007
                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Erik Krause" <erik.krause@...>
                wrote:
                > ... there seems to be only one preset angle, but I couldn't find any
                > hint on the value.

                The Panamatic url engraved on the device gives full details:

                http://www.panamatic.com/

                John
              • paul womack
                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 5, 2007
                  John Houghton wrote:
                  > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Erik Krause" <erik.krause@...>
                  > wrote:
                  >> ... there seems to be only one preset angle, but I couldn't find any
                  >> hint on the value.
                  >
                  > The Panamatic url engraved on the device gives full details:
                  >
                  > http://www.panamatic.com/

                  Hmm. Dirty advert - apparently the tool also makes
                  the exposures match !! (note the with and without shots!)

                  BugBear
                • Keith Martin
                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 5, 2007
                    Sometime around 5/11/07 (at 10:27 +0000) paul womack said:

                    >Hmm. Dirty advert - apparently the tool also makes
                    >the exposures match !! (note the with and without shots!)

                    :-)

                    It also seems to change the focal length of the lens. But hey, that's
                    marketing. And marketing is rarely all that clean.

                    What's of more concern to me is the apparent complete lack of
                    consideration of nodal point rotation. This will be a fun toy for
                    very casual users, and at $25 that's where it is aimed. I can even
                    think of a friend who'd enjoy having this. But heaven help those that
                    try to use this device at a more serious level. :-|

                  • paul womack
                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 5, 2007
                      Keith Martin wrote:
                      > Sometime around 5/11/07 (at 10:27 +0000) paul womack said:
                      >
                      >> Hmm. Dirty advert - apparently the tool also makes
                      >> the exposures match !! (note the with and without shots!)
                      >
                      > :-)
                      >
                      > It also seems to change the focal length of the lens. But hey, that's
                      > marketing. And marketing is rarely all that clean.
                      >
                      > What's of more concern to me is the apparent complete lack of
                      > consideration of nodal point rotation. This will be a fun toy for
                      > very casual users, and at $25 that's where it is aimed. I can even
                      > think of a friend who'd enjoy having this. But heaven help those that
                      > try to use this device at a more serious level. :-|

                      I also note that the "without" pano also has
                      photos at many different heights; how that was done
                      using a simple tripod "column yaw" I don't know!

                      You might get a sloping horizon, but that's all.

                      25 bucks to level a horizon seems ... steep (!)

                      I simply pan my camera, and eyeball (P&S digital
                      with live preview are very good for this)

                      BugBear
                    • Alexander Feldmann
                      Message 10 of 11 , Nov 6, 2007
                        Stay as far away from that "thing" as you can, it is simply a cheap piece of
                        plastic that knows nothing about a nodal-point or anything else. I think it
                        is mostly used to sell the software that comes with it but which is, to say
                        nicely, not the best out there. I have seen it once at a dealer here in
                        Germany, it looks and feels like it has been manufactured for about 8-10
                        cent. It shows up at many places throughout Europe and several dealer even
                        give it to you for free if you buy a camera, so I think a lot of smart
                        marketing is at work.

                        Alex

                        _____

                        Message 11 of 11 , Nov 6, 2007
                          Hi,

                          I just received a vulnerability alert regarding a bug in the VR module of
                          Apple Quicktime, allowing malicious code to be executed by viewing "bad"
                          panoramas or VR objects with Quicktime 7.2. It seems that problem has been
                          discovered in September, but wisely they have kept it under cover to avoid
                          someone exploiting it. (that will now change quickly I assume)

                          A patch/upgrade to Quictime 7.3. is already available from Apple, here is a
                          link to the full security alert.

                          http://labs.idefense.com/intelligence/vulnerabilities/display.php?id=620

                          Alex

                          PS: here some more (in german only)