Re: Russian nationalist's meeting, 2 hours ago

  • erik leeman
    Message 1 of 19 , Nov 4, 2007
      That Google Earth link is brilliant!
      Of course Andrey's VR is great too, as always : )

      Regards,

      erik leeman

      (www.erikleeman.com)
      Message 2 of 19 , Nov 4, 2007
        On Sunday, November 04, 2007 at 16:09, panokaemena@... wrote:

        > I opened it it Google Earth and I never saw this kind of VR
        > projection !!! what is it?? can somebody put some light for me on
        > it...?

        You need google earth 4.2 in order to see it. The bubble probably is
        a stereographic projection:
        http://wiki.panotools.org/Stereographic_Projection

        I tried to stitch several views as fisheye, but got a very bad stitch
        and huge stitching errors which indicates that it is not a standard
        fisheye...

        best regards
      • Geoff Mather
        Message 3 of 19 , Nov 4, 2007

          > You need google earth 4.2 in order to see it.
          You need better than 4.2.0181.2634, in fact! Get the latest, my
          slightly older version inverted the image part way around!

          Geoff
          Message 4 of 19 , Nov 4, 2007
            On Sunday, November 04, 2007 at 16:01, erik leeman wrote:

            > Of course Andrey's VR is great too, as always : )

            Yes, true. Incredible...

            I'd only hope Jeffrey (and anybody else) would use the firstautoplay
            parameter for DevalVR. I hate autorotation, not only because
            something moves away as soon as I want to take a closer look -
            autorotation eats up CPU time and slows down the computer up to not
            beeing able to close the respective window. Bad if you leave the
            panorama open and move on to something else...

            best regards
          • erik leeman
            Message 5 of 19 , Nov 4, 2007
              I think you have a point Erik, I've changed the settings for DevalVR on
              my own site to "firstautoplay","1,50","autoplayspeed","4".
              I only have it on the small versions though.

              Regards,

              erik leeman

              (www.erikleeman.com)
            • Sacha Griffin
              Message 6 of 19 , Nov 4, 2007
                That's a good idea.

                I haven't first of that setting before. Thanks for the heads up.

                Is there a similar setting for the fpp?

                Sacha Griffin
                www.southern-digital.com
                www.seeit360.net
                www.ezphotosafe.com
                404-551-4275
                404-731-7798

                _____

                --
                http://www.erik- <http://www.erik-krause.de> krause.de

              • Jeffrey Martin
                Message 7 of 19 , Nov 5, 2007
                  Regarding this PhotoOverlay format - you can read all about it here -
                  http://www.360cities.net/google-earth.html (I have announced this
                  numerous times but I guess some people

                  EVERY ONE of our 3000+ panoramas are in this format.
                  www.360cities.net/ge.kml

                  Check out Prague, where the markers are so close together they are
                  hotspots inside each panorama (you can see in the screenshots in the
                  above link)

                  > > > Of course Andrey's VR is great too, as always : )
                  > >
                  > > Yes, true. Incredible...
                  > >
                  > > I'd only hope Jeffrey (and anybody else) would use the firstautoplay
                  > > parameter for DevalVR. I hate autorotation, not only because
                  > > something moves away as soon as I want to take a closer look -

                  What is the "firstautoplay" ? you mean, it stops autorotate when you
                  click on it? yes that's an idea.

                  We have to balance the beginners/advanced viewers here, and the people
                  who know how to use VR are in the vast minority. any other people will
                  think it's a static image. so we have autorotate turned on. if you
                  want to take a closer look, you can hold down the mouse button :-)

                  Finally, bravo Andrey on a great pano! :-)

                  Jeffrey

                  --
                  ------------------
                  www.360cities.net
                  Message 8 of 19 , Nov 5, 2007
                    Are you not concerned about Google now having ownership rights of all of
                    your high rez image files?
                    My understanding of Googles usage agreement gives them rights forever to use
                    everything any way they want!

                    Hi rez files are valuable!
                    Perhaps this "rights grab" can't be applied if you host on your own server,
                    but if your files go throught Googles "System" do they store these files and
                    apply their "usage agreement" to them?

                    I believe Googles " Terms of Usage Agreement" should be read very carefully
                    by everyone considering uploading anything of value!

                    Cheers
                    chris

                    Chris Thomas
                    Photographer
                    cell... 403-615-1212
                    In North America
                    call... 1-800-870-5110
                    http://www.christhomas.com

                    Regarding this PhotoOverlay format - you can read all about it here -
                    http://www.360cities.net/google-earth.html (I have announced this
                    numerous times but I guess some people

                    EVERY ONE of our 3000+ panoramas are in this format.
                    www.360cities.net/ge.kml

                    Check out Prague, where the markers are so close together they are
                    hotspots inside each panorama (you can see in the screenshots in the
                    above link)

                    > > > Of course Andrey's VR is great too, as always : )
                    > >
                    > > Yes, true. Incredible...
                    > >
                    > > I'd only hope Jeffrey (and anybody else) would use the firstautoplay
                    > > parameter for DevalVR. I hate autorotation, not only because
                    > > something moves away as soon as I want to take a closer look -

                    What is the "firstautoplay" ? you mean, it stops autorotate when you
                    click on it? yes that's an idea.

                    We have to balance the beginners/advanced viewers here, and the people
                    who know how to use VR are in the vast minority. any other people will
                    think it's a static image. so we have autorotate turned on. if you
                    want to take a closer look, you can hold down the mouse button :-)

                    Finally, bravo Andrey on a great pano! :-)

                    Jeffrey

                    --
                    ------------------
                    www.360cities.net
                    www.prague360.com
                    www.vrlog.net
                    tel. +420 608 076 502
                    skype jeffrey.s.martin
                    snip
                  • jefffreymartin
                    Message 9 of 19 , Nov 6, 2007
                      Hi Chris,

                      You must be insane to think Google owns every image that passes
                      through its server.

                      Your fear-mongering does not even deserve a detailed answer as it is
                      just completely false.

                      You should talk to a lawyer who can explain Google's terms of use to
                      you, and clear up this major misunderstanding. If you don't know any
                      suitable lawyer, I can point you towards one or two who would be happy
                      to do so for you.

                      Jeffrey Martin
                      www.360cities.net

                      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Chris Thomas <chris@...> wrote:

                      > Are you not concerned about Google now having ownership rights of all of
                      > your high rez image files?
                      > My understanding of Googles usage agreement gives them rights
                      forever to use
                      > everything any way they want!
                      >
                      > Hi rez files are valuable!
                      > Perhaps this "rights grab" can't be applied if you host on your own
                      server,
                      > but if your files go throught Googles "System" do they store these
                      files and
                      > apply their "usage agreement" to them?
                      >
                      > I believe Googles " Terms of Usage Agreement" should be read very
                      carefully
                      > by everyone considering uploading anything of value!
                      >
                      > Cheers
                      > chris
                      >
                      > Chris Thomas
                      > Photographer
                      > cell... 403-615-1212
                      > In North America
                      > call... 1-800-870-5110
                      > http://www.christhomas.com

                    • Chris Thomas
                      Message 10 of 19 , Nov 6, 2007
                        Jeffrey.

                        Obviously, you feel quite strongly about my "Question".
                        I don't think it's "Fear-Mongering" or "insane" to open such a discussion.
                        I'm going let your "name calling" pass for now and ask you to tell me what
                        your interpretation of the following is:

                        From "Google Terms of Service"

                        11. Content licence from you

                        11.1 You retain copyright and any other rights you already hold in
                        Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services. By
                        submitting, posting or displaying the content you give Google a perpetual,
                        irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive licence to
                        reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly
                        display and distribute any Content which you submit, post or display on or
                        through, the Services. This licence is for the sole purpose of enabling
                        Google to display, distribute and promote the Services and may be revoked
                        for certain Services as defined in the Additional Terms of those Services.

                        Earlier in the agreement Google defines "services"

                        4.2 Google is constantly innovating in order to provide the best possible
                        experience for its users. You acknowledge and agree that the form and nature
                        of the Services which Google provides may change from time to time without
                        prior notice to you.

                        For everyone who isn't as certain as Jeffrey, about Google's "Terms of
                        Services"; it's a fairly easy read at:

                        http://www.google.com/accounts/TOS

                        I would be interested to hear the views of others who are considering
                        integating Google into their business plan.

                        I don't think one needs to be a copyright laywer to be alarmed by these
                        kinds of Terms of Use. I belong to CAPIC which is Canada's top Association
                        of Professional Photographers and we have very good ongoing legal advise on
                        copyright matters.

                        Fact is; Google's contract is alarming and I hope they've done "Side Deals"
                        with a lot of "content providers" such as Jeffrey and other hi-rez image
                        providers or the content providers may have greatly diluted their ownership
                        in there own creations...

                        Jeff..... did you get something "Special" in writing from Google?
                        I assume you must have.... but the unsuspecting "Content provider" needs to
                        read the agreement carefully.

                        I can live without the condescension, can you share some information....

                        Thanks

                        Chris Thomas
                        Photographer
                        cell... 403-615-1212
                        In North America
                        call... 1-800-870-5110
                        http://www.christhomas.com

                        You must be insane to think Google owns every image that passes
                        through its server.

                        Your fear-mongering does not even deserve a detailed answer as it is
                        just completely false.

                        You should talk to a lawyer who can explain Google's terms of use to
                        you, and clear up this major misunderstanding. If you don't know any
                        suitable lawyer, I can point you towards one or two who would be happy
                        to do so for you.

                        Jeffrey Martin
                        www.360cities.net

                        snip
                        .
                      • Matthias Taugwalder
                        Message 11 of 19 , Nov 6, 2007
                          Well, I think we have to differ between Google Services (such as Google
                          Video, Gmail, Youtube, etc) and the Google search engine.

                          The Google TOS are of course valid for Google Services and content that you
                          upload to one of the Google servers. But I don't think that these also apply
                          for the search engine. Since the Google search only shows links to content
                          resp. web sites.

                          Best regards,

                          Matthias

                          --
                          Matthias Taugwalder
                          matthias.taugwalder@...

                        • Georgia Real Tours
                          Message 12 of 19 , Nov 6, 2007
                            On 11/6/07, Chris Thomas <chris@...> wrote:

                            > Jeffrey.
                            >
                            > Obviously, you feel quite strongly about my "Question".
                            > I don't think it's "Fear-Mongering" or "insane" to open such a discussion.
                            > I'm going let your "name calling" pass for now and ask you to tell me what
                            > your interpretation of the following is:
                            [snip]
                            > I don't think one needs to be a copyright laywer to be alarmed by these
                            > kinds of Terms of Use. I belong to CAPIC which is Canada's top Association
                            > of Professional Photographers and we have very good ongoing legal advise on
                            > copyright matters.
                            >
                            > Fact is; Google's contract is alarming and I hope they've done "Side Deals"
                            > with a lot of "content providers" such as Jeffrey and other hi-rez image
                            > providers or the content providers may have greatly diluted their ownership
                            > in there own creations...

                            Okay, break it up you two. Histrionics aside, on the surface the
                            copyright fear seems reasonable. However, they are (mostly)
                            unfounded. Google needs the permission to do what it does. Yes, they
                            can use your material to promote the service but they aren't usurping
                            it, hence the limiting language which states "This licence is for the
                            sole purpose of enabling
                            Google to display, distribute and promote the Services and may be revoked
                            for certain Services as defined in the Additional Terms of those
                            Services." Note that they don't claim to do whatever they want with
                            it, merely to enable and promote the service you are using at the
                            time.

                            Naturally, I need to specify that IANAL, but neither are you two. If
                            you are uncomfortable with Google's services and TOS, don't use them.
                            Otherwise, consult a *REAL* lawyer and not take the word of some
                            slack-suited attorney who issues a biased opinion at the behest of
                            some organization. All too frequently, those statements are issued
                            with significant leanings toward safety. As an anology, consider a
                            "Highway Safety" advocate group hiring an expert who subsequently
                            states that no one should drive over 45 MPH (~70KPH) because doing so
                            increases the risk of death substantially. They usually fail,
                            however, to give relevant parameters; in this case it would be "in the
                            event of a head-on collision". So why on earth would someone need to
                            drive 45 (70) on a barriered highway where the risk of a head-on
                            collision ranges in the neighborhood of a lightning strike?

                            Cheers,
                            Robert~

                            --
                            Mid GA: 478-599-1300
                            ATL: 678-438-6955
                            Message 13 of 19 , Nov 6, 2007
                              Hi Matthias.

                              I'm not talking about search engine results.
                              I'm thinking these terms of services apply if you use a Google Maps GUI..
                              for example.

                              I'm sure one would have to enter into a "Service Agreement" to use their
                              Logos and GUI's etc. If you post links to Google Earth for example aren't
                              you providing content to their "Services"?

                              Terms like "perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide" raise a "Red Flag" for me!

                              I'm not anti-Google, I'd actually like to use them on a business development
                              plan,
                              but I want to be sure they have no "perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide"
                              rights to "back-up" everything that interfaces with their Service..... It
                              seems to me; their terms might be interpreted this way.....

                              Is there anybody from Google on the list..... I wonder?

                              Cheers
                              chris

                              Chris Thomas
                              Photographer
                              cell... 403-615-1212
                              In North America
                              call... 1-800-870-5110
                              http://www.christhomas.com

                              Message 14 of 19 , Nov 6, 2007
                                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Chris Thomas <chris@...> wrote:

                                > Hi Matthias.
                                >
                                > I'm not talking about search engine results.
                                > I'm thinking these terms of services apply if you use a Google Maps GUI..
                                > for example.

                                No, the Google Maps has some special terms. You can read them on this page.
                                http://maps.google.com/help/terms_maps.html

                                Hans
                              • Roger D. Williams
                                Message 15 of 19 , Nov 6, 2007
                                  Thank you for the reference, Hans. Thanks to that, and to some links
                                  in it that I followed to other relevant web pages, I have a much
                                  clearer idea of exactly what rights Google wishes to claim over the
                                  material I upload and that becomes accessible to others via their
                                  services.

                                  It seems quite innocuous. I think they have wiggle room if they
                                  decided to make advantageous use of copyrighted material without
                                  paying for it but their corporate code of 'do no evil' would be
                                  a strong disincentive to do anything so blatant. I mean, EVERYONE
                                  would be jumping all over them immediately, and that would surely
                                  be very counterproductive.

                                  I also notice that if you claim your copyright is being violated
                                  and they take action that is later found to be unjustified because
                                  you didn't actually have the right to make that claim, they will
                                  come after you for legal fees, one company having been forced to
                                  pay 100,000 USD for this very thing.

                                  I think this is getting pretty far off topic, so I'll leave it at
                                  that.

                                  One last on-topic comment, though. I found the word "panorama"
                                  very seriously misused in describing some of the many genuinely
                                  awful photographs that are being uploaded. I hope this doesn't
                                  give panoramas a bad name!

                                  Roger W.

                                  --
                                  Work: www.adex-japan.com
                                  Play: www.usefilm.com/member/roger
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Nov 7, 2007
                                    Hans.

                                    Thanks for the additional link.

                                    It refers back to the previously discussed "Terms of Service" in the very
                                    first line and seems to mostly address the "end user".

                                    It does address one of our misconceptions tho..... about search results.

                                    "Content Provided by Third Parties

                                    The Google Maps service includes search results such as business listings,
                                    images, and related information provided by third parties."

                                    This, coupled with their open ended definition of "Service" is a deal
                                    killer for me.

                                    I apologize to those less interested in copyright ownership matters.
                                    I considered this very "on topic" because I see Pano creators rushing to
                                    Google and just wanted to offer a cautionary note.

                                    Roger.... you may be right about a "do no evil" policy of the present
                                    Administration at Google. But their lawyer have left them room to develop
                                    "Google Images".

                                    I'll go back to my Photographer's forum... now......

                                    No attack on Google users was implied or intended-LOL

                                    Chris Thomas
                                    Photographer
                                    cell... 403-615-1212
                                    In North America
                                    call... 1-800-870-5110
                                    http://www.christhomas.com

                                    > I'm not talking about search engine results.
                                    > I'm thinking these terms of services apply if you use a Google Maps GUI..
                                    > for example.

                                    No, the Google Maps has some special terms. You can read them on this page.
                                    http://maps.google.com/help/terms_maps.html

                                    Hans

                                    snip.
                                  • Chris Thomas
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Nov 7, 2007
                                      Hello Jeffrey..

                                      Why did you omit the very next sentence in this clause?

                                      From google Terms of Service.
                                      >11.1>

                                      "By submitting, posting or displaying the content you give Google a
                                      perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive licence
                                      to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly
                                      display and distribute any Content which you submit, post or display on or
                                      through, the Services.

                                      I agree. It's nice of them to leave you "your" rights!
                                      I'm talking about rights given to Google.

                                      I'm finished with this thread..
                                      "What's not clear?"

                                      Chris Thomas
                                      Photographer