Re: [PanoToolsNG] Russian nationalist's meeting, 2 hours ago

  • panokaemena@mac.com
    Message 1 of 19 , Nov 4, 2007
      I opened it it Google Earth and I never saw this kind of VR
      projection !!! what is it?? can somebody put some light for me on
      it...?

      Willy

      On Nov 4, 2007, at 15:13, Andrey Ilyin wrote:

      > http://moscow.360cities.net/fs.html?loc=life_russky_marsh.p36 (just
      > uploaded, will work in 15 minutes)
      >
      > The sound will be added later

    • erik leeman
      Message 2 of 19 , Nov 4, 2007
        That Google Earth link is brilliant!
        Of course Andrey's VR is great too, as always : )

        Regards,

        erik leeman

        (www.erikleeman.com)
        Message 3 of 19 , Nov 4, 2007
          On Sunday, November 04, 2007 at 16:09, panokaemena@... wrote:

          > I opened it it Google Earth and I never saw this kind of VR
          > projection !!! what is it?? can somebody put some light for me on
          > it...?

          You need google earth 4.2 in order to see it. The bubble probably is
          a stereographic projection:
          http://wiki.panotools.org/Stereographic_Projection

          I tried to stitch several views as fisheye, but got a very bad stitch
          and huge stitching errors which indicates that it is not a standard
          fisheye...

          best regards
        • Geoff Mather
          Message 4 of 19 , Nov 4, 2007

            > You need google earth 4.2 in order to see it.
            You need better than 4.2.0181.2634, in fact! Get the latest, my
            slightly older version inverted the image part way around!

            Geoff
            Message 5 of 19 , Nov 4, 2007
              On Sunday, November 04, 2007 at 16:01, erik leeman wrote:

              > Of course Andrey's VR is great too, as always : )

              Yes, true. Incredible...

              I'd only hope Jeffrey (and anybody else) would use the firstautoplay
              parameter for DevalVR. I hate autorotation, not only because
              something moves away as soon as I want to take a closer look -
              autorotation eats up CPU time and slows down the computer up to not
              beeing able to close the respective window. Bad if you leave the
              panorama open and move on to something else...

              best regards
            • erik leeman
              Message 6 of 19 , Nov 4, 2007
                I think you have a point Erik, I've changed the settings for DevalVR on
                my own site to "firstautoplay","1,50","autoplayspeed","4".
                I only have it on the small versions though.

                Regards,

                erik leeman

                (www.erikleeman.com)
              • Sacha Griffin
                Message 7 of 19 , Nov 4, 2007
                  That's a good idea.

                  I haven't first of that setting before. Thanks for the heads up.

                  Is there a similar setting for the fpp?

                  Sacha Griffin
                  www.southern-digital.com
                  www.seeit360.net
                  www.ezphotosafe.com
                  404-551-4275
                  404-731-7798

                  _____

                  --
                  http://www.erik- <http://www.erik-krause.de> krause.de

                • Jeffrey Martin
                  Message 8 of 19 , Nov 5, 2007
                    Regarding this PhotoOverlay format - you can read all about it here -
                    http://www.360cities.net/google-earth.html (I have announced this
                    numerous times but I guess some people

                    EVERY ONE of our 3000+ panoramas are in this format.
                    www.360cities.net/ge.kml

                    Check out Prague, where the markers are so close together they are
                    hotspots inside each panorama (you can see in the screenshots in the
                    above link)

                    > > > Of course Andrey's VR is great too, as always : )
                    > >
                    > > Yes, true. Incredible...
                    > >
                    > > I'd only hope Jeffrey (and anybody else) would use the firstautoplay
                    > > parameter for DevalVR. I hate autorotation, not only because
                    > > something moves away as soon as I want to take a closer look -

                    What is the "firstautoplay" ? you mean, it stops autorotate when you
                    click on it? yes that's an idea.

                    We have to balance the beginners/advanced viewers here, and the people
                    who know how to use VR are in the vast minority. any other people will
                    think it's a static image. so we have autorotate turned on. if you
                    want to take a closer look, you can hold down the mouse button :-)

                    Finally, bravo Andrey on a great pano! :-)

                    Jeffrey

                    --
                    ------------------
                    www.360cities.net
                    Message 9 of 19 , Nov 5, 2007
                      Are you not concerned about Google now having ownership rights of all of
                      your high rez image files?
                      My understanding of Googles usage agreement gives them rights forever to use
                      everything any way they want!

                      Hi rez files are valuable!
                      Perhaps this "rights grab" can't be applied if you host on your own server,
                      but if your files go throught Googles "System" do they store these files and
                      apply their "usage agreement" to them?

                      I believe Googles " Terms of Usage Agreement" should be read very carefully
                      by everyone considering uploading anything of value!

                      Cheers
                      chris

                      Chris Thomas
                      Photographer
                      cell... 403-615-1212
                      In North America
                      call... 1-800-870-5110
                      http://www.christhomas.com

                      Regarding this PhotoOverlay format - you can read all about it here -
                      http://www.360cities.net/google-earth.html (I have announced this
                      numerous times but I guess some people

                      EVERY ONE of our 3000+ panoramas are in this format.
                      www.360cities.net/ge.kml

                      Check out Prague, where the markers are so close together they are
                      hotspots inside each panorama (you can see in the screenshots in the
                      above link)

                      > > > Of course Andrey's VR is great too, as always : )
                      > >
                      > > Yes, true. Incredible...
                      > >
                      > > I'd only hope Jeffrey (and anybody else) would use the firstautoplay
                      > > parameter for DevalVR. I hate autorotation, not only because
                      > > something moves away as soon as I want to take a closer look -

                      What is the "firstautoplay" ? you mean, it stops autorotate when you
                      click on it? yes that's an idea.

                      We have to balance the beginners/advanced viewers here, and the people
                      who know how to use VR are in the vast minority. any other people will
                      think it's a static image. so we have autorotate turned on. if you
                      want to take a closer look, you can hold down the mouse button :-)

                      Finally, bravo Andrey on a great pano! :-)

                      Jeffrey

                      --
                      ------------------
                      www.360cities.net
                      www.prague360.com
                      www.vrlog.net
                      tel. +420 608 076 502
                      skype jeffrey.s.martin
                      snip
                    • jefffreymartin
                      Message 10 of 19 , Nov 6, 2007
                        Hi Chris,

                        You must be insane to think Google owns every image that passes
                        through its server.

                        Your fear-mongering does not even deserve a detailed answer as it is
                        just completely false.

                        You should talk to a lawyer who can explain Google's terms of use to
                        you, and clear up this major misunderstanding. If you don't know any
                        suitable lawyer, I can point you towards one or two who would be happy
                        to do so for you.

                        Jeffrey Martin
                        www.360cities.net

                        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Chris Thomas <chris@...> wrote:

                        > Are you not concerned about Google now having ownership rights of all of
                        > your high rez image files?
                        > My understanding of Googles usage agreement gives them rights
                        forever to use
                        > everything any way they want!
                        >
                        > Hi rez files are valuable!
                        > Perhaps this "rights grab" can't be applied if you host on your own
                        server,
                        > but if your files go throught Googles "System" do they store these
                        files and
                        > apply their "usage agreement" to them?
                        >
                        > I believe Googles " Terms of Usage Agreement" should be read very
                        carefully
                        > by everyone considering uploading anything of value!
                        >
                        > Cheers
                        > chris
                        >
                        > Chris Thomas
                        > Photographer
                        > cell... 403-615-1212
                        > In North America
                        > call... 1-800-870-5110
                        > http://www.christhomas.com

                      • Chris Thomas
                        Message 11 of 19 , Nov 6, 2007
                          Jeffrey.

                          Obviously, you feel quite strongly about my "Question".
                          I don't think it's "Fear-Mongering" or "insane" to open such a discussion.
                          I'm going let your "name calling" pass for now and ask you to tell me what
                          your interpretation of the following is:

                          From "Google Terms of Service"

                          11. Content licence from you

                          11.1 You retain copyright and any other rights you already hold in
                          Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services. By
                          submitting, posting or displaying the content you give Google a perpetual,
                          irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive licence to
                          reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly
                          display and distribute any Content which you submit, post or display on or
                          through, the Services. This licence is for the sole purpose of enabling
                          Google to display, distribute and promote the Services and may be revoked
                          for certain Services as defined in the Additional Terms of those Services.

                          Earlier in the agreement Google defines "services"

                          4.2 Google is constantly innovating in order to provide the best possible
                          experience for its users. You acknowledge and agree that the form and nature
                          of the Services which Google provides may change from time to time without
                          prior notice to you.

                          For everyone who isn't as certain as Jeffrey, about Google's "Terms of
                          Services"; it's a fairly easy read at:

                          http://www.google.com/accounts/TOS

                          I would be interested to hear the views of others who are considering
                          integating Google into their business plan.

                          I don't think one needs to be a copyright laywer to be alarmed by these
                          kinds of Terms of Use. I belong to CAPIC which is Canada's top Association
                          of Professional Photographers and we have very good ongoing legal advise on
                          copyright matters.

                          Fact is; Google's contract is alarming and I hope they've done "Side Deals"
                          with a lot of "content providers" such as Jeffrey and other hi-rez image
                          providers or the content providers may have greatly diluted their ownership
                          in there own creations...

                          Jeff..... did you get something "Special" in writing from Google?
                          I assume you must have.... but the unsuspecting "Content provider" needs to
                          read the agreement carefully.

                          I can live without the condescension, can you share some information....

                          Thanks

                          Chris Thomas
                          Photographer
                          cell... 403-615-1212
                          In North America
                          call... 1-800-870-5110
                          http://www.christhomas.com

                          You must be insane to think Google owns every image that passes
                          through its server.

                          Your fear-mongering does not even deserve a detailed answer as it is
                          just completely false.

                          You should talk to a lawyer who can explain Google's terms of use to
                          you, and clear up this major misunderstanding. If you don't know any
                          suitable lawyer, I can point you towards one or two who would be happy
                          to do so for you.

                          Jeffrey Martin
                          www.360cities.net

                          snip
                          .
                        • Matthias Taugwalder
                          Message 12 of 19 , Nov 6, 2007
                            Well, I think we have to differ between Google Services (such as Google
                            Video, Gmail, Youtube, etc) and the Google search engine.

                            The Google TOS are of course valid for Google Services and content that you
                            upload to one of the Google servers. But I don't think that these also apply
                            for the search engine. Since the Google search only shows links to content
                            resp. web sites.

                            Best regards,

                            Matthias

                            --
                            Matthias Taugwalder
                            matthias.taugwalder@...

                          • Georgia Real Tours
                            Message 13 of 19 , Nov 6, 2007
                              On 11/6/07, Chris Thomas <chris@...> wrote:

                              > Jeffrey.
                              >
                              > Obviously, you feel quite strongly about my "Question".
                              > I don't think it's "Fear-Mongering" or "insane" to open such a discussion.
                              > I'm going let your "name calling" pass for now and ask you to tell me what
                              > your interpretation of the following is:
                              [snip]
                              > I don't think one needs to be a copyright laywer to be alarmed by these
                              > kinds of Terms of Use. I belong to CAPIC which is Canada's top Association
                              > of Professional Photographers and we have very good ongoing legal advise on
                              > copyright matters.
                              >
                              > Fact is; Google's contract is alarming and I hope they've done "Side Deals"
                              > with a lot of "content providers" such as Jeffrey and other hi-rez image
                              > providers or the content providers may have greatly diluted their ownership
                              > in there own creations...

                              Okay, break it up you two. Histrionics aside, on the surface the
                              copyright fear seems reasonable. However, they are (mostly)
                              unfounded. Google needs the permission to do what it does. Yes, they
                              can use your material to promote the service but they aren't usurping
                              it, hence the limiting language which states "This licence is for the
                              sole purpose of enabling
                              Google to display, distribute and promote the Services and may be revoked
                              for certain Services as defined in the Additional Terms of those
                              Services." Note that they don't claim to do whatever they want with
                              it, merely to enable and promote the service you are using at the
                              time.

                              Naturally, I need to specify that IANAL, but neither are you two. If
                              you are uncomfortable with Google's services and TOS, don't use them.
                              Otherwise, consult a *REAL* lawyer and not take the word of some
                              slack-suited attorney who issues a biased opinion at the behest of
                              some organization. All too frequently, those statements are issued
                              with significant leanings toward safety. As an anology, consider a
                              "Highway Safety" advocate group hiring an expert who subsequently
                              states that no one should drive over 45 MPH (~70KPH) because doing so
                              increases the risk of death substantially. They usually fail,
                              however, to give relevant parameters; in this case it would be "in the
                              event of a head-on collision". So why on earth would someone need to
                              drive 45 (70) on a barriered highway where the risk of a head-on
                              collision ranges in the neighborhood of a lightning strike?

                              Cheers,
                              Robert~

                              --
                              Mid GA: 478-599-1300
                              ATL: 678-438-6955
                              Message 14 of 19 , Nov 6, 2007
                                Hi Matthias.

                                I'm not talking about search engine results.
                                I'm thinking these terms of services apply if you use a Google Maps GUI..
                                for example.

                                I'm sure one would have to enter into a "Service Agreement" to use their
                                Logos and GUI's etc. If you post links to Google Earth for example aren't
                                you providing content to their "Services"?

                                Terms like "perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide" raise a "Red Flag" for me!

                                I'm not anti-Google, I'd actually like to use them on a business development
                                plan,
                                but I want to be sure they have no "perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide"
                                rights to "back-up" everything that interfaces with their Service..... It
                                seems to me; their terms might be interpreted this way.....

                                Is there anybody from Google on the list..... I wonder?

                                Cheers
                                chris

                                Chris Thomas
                                Photographer
                                cell... 403-615-1212
                                In North America
                                call... 1-800-870-5110
                                http://www.christhomas.com

                                Message 15 of 19 , Nov 6, 2007
                                  --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Chris Thomas <chris@...> wrote:

                                  > Hi Matthias.
                                  >
                                  > I'm not talking about search engine results.
                                  > I'm thinking these terms of services apply if you use a Google Maps GUI..
                                  > for example.

                                  No, the Google Maps has some special terms. You can read them on this page.
                                  http://maps.google.com/help/terms_maps.html

                                  Hans
                                • Roger D. Williams
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Nov 6, 2007
                                    Thank you for the reference, Hans. Thanks to that, and to some links
                                    in it that I followed to other relevant web pages, I have a much
                                    clearer idea of exactly what rights Google wishes to claim over the
                                    material I upload and that becomes accessible to others via their
                                    services.

                                    It seems quite innocuous. I think they have wiggle room if they
                                    decided to make advantageous use of copyrighted material without
                                    paying for it but their corporate code of 'do no evil' would be
                                    a strong disincentive to do anything so blatant. I mean, EVERYONE
                                    would be jumping all over them immediately, and that would surely
                                    be very counterproductive.

                                    I also notice that if you claim your copyright is being violated
                                    and they take action that is later found to be unjustified because
                                    you didn't actually have the right to make that claim, they will
                                    come after you for legal fees, one company having been forced to
                                    pay 100,000 USD for this very thing.

                                    I think this is getting pretty far off topic, so I'll leave it at
                                    that.

                                    One last on-topic comment, though. I found the word "panorama"
                                    very seriously misused in describing some of the many genuinely
                                    awful photographs that are being uploaded. I hope this doesn't
                                    give panoramas a bad name!

                                    Roger W.

                                    --
                                    Work: www.adex-japan.com
                                    Play: www.usefilm.com/member/roger
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Nov 7, 2007
                                      Hans.

                                      Thanks for the additional link.

                                      It refers back to the previously discussed "Terms of Service" in the very
                                      first line and seems to mostly address the "end user".

                                      It does address one of our misconceptions tho..... about search results.

                                      "Content Provided by Third Parties

                                      The Google Maps service includes search results such as business listings,
                                      images, and related information provided by third parties."

                                      This, coupled with their open ended definition of "Service" is a deal
                                      killer for me.

                                      I apologize to those less interested in copyright ownership matters.
                                      I considered this very "on topic" because I see Pano creators rushing to
                                      Google and just wanted to offer a cautionary note.

                                      Roger.... you may be right about a "do no evil" policy of the present
                                      Administration at Google. But their lawyer have left them room to develop
                                      "Google Images".

                                      I'll go back to my Photographer's forum... now......

                                      No attack on Google users was implied or intended-LOL

                                      Chris Thomas
                                      Photographer
                                      cell... 403-615-1212
                                      In North America
                                      call... 1-800-870-5110
                                      http://www.christhomas.com

                                      > I'm not talking about search engine results.
                                      > I'm thinking these terms of services apply if you use a Google Maps GUI..
                                      > for example.

                                      No, the Google Maps has some special terms. You can read them on this page.
                                      http://maps.google.com/help/terms_maps.html

                                      Hans

                                      snip.
                                    • Chris Thomas
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Nov 7, 2007
                                        Hello Jeffrey..

                                        Why did you omit the very next sentence in this clause?

                                        From google Terms of Service.
                                        >11.1>

                                        "By submitting, posting or displaying the content you give Google a
                                        perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive licence
                                        to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly
                                        display and distribute any Content which you submit, post or display on or
                                        through, the Services.

                                        I agree. It's nice of them to leave you "your" rights!
                                        I'm talking about rights given to Google.

                                        I'm finished with this thread..
                                        "What's not clear?"

                                        Chris Thomas
                                        Photographer