Canon D5 - Nikkor 10.5 low light shooting??

  • Roger Berry
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 3, 2007
      I'm planning to shoot some low light and nighttime panos with the Canon
      D5 and Nikkor 10.5 mm lens. I have seen some nice ones done at 1800 IOS
      but what aperture settings are people using with this lens? At F/2.8
      there is a lot of lens vignetting that can be fixed in CS3. If you need
      a fast shutter speed is this the way to go?
      After some feedback I will go out tonight and do some test shots. Some
      of the ones I will be doing with the camera 17 feet up on a pole
      strapped to a tripod.

      Thanks,
      Roger Berry
    • Hans Nyberg
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 3, 2007
        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Roger Berry" <onezebra1@...> wrote:

        > I'm planning to shoot some low light and nighttime panos with the Canon
        > D5 and Nikkor 10.5 mm lens. I have seen some nice ones done at 1800 IOS
        > but what aperture settings are people using with this lens? At F/2.8
        > there is a lot of lens vignetting that can be fixed in CS3. If you need
        > a fast shutter speed is this the way to go?

        Yes 2.8 is fine, but be careful with focusing, I hope you done some tests at full opening and
        taped the focus. It is very sensible.

        I do not think lightfall is a problem at all. I use a setting of around 40 in Photoshop Raw
        which is nothing compared to the 100% with the old Sigma 8mm.

        However do not expect the sharpness to the best at the top and bottom. Usually thats not a
        problem for these type of shots.
        As far as I remember all the panos from Photokina was made at 2.8 and 4.
        http://www.panoramas.dk/photokina/

        Hans
      • panovrx
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 4, 2007
          Yes Hans is right, it is usable at 2.8 but the focus is critical. If
          you get the chance you should try it on a Canon40d with LiveView with
          the 10X magnifier enabled. It wasnt til I did this that I realised
          just how accurate you need be be. A millimeter off on the focusing
          ring is significant at 2.8

          Peter
          www.mediavr.com/blog

          > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Roger Berry" <onezebra1@>
          wrote:

          > > I'm planning to shoot some low light and nighttime panos with the
          Canon
          > > D5 and Nikkor 10.5 mm lens. I have seen some nice ones done at
          1800 IOS
          > > but what aperture settings are people using with this lens? At
          F/2.8
          > > there is a lot of lens vignetting that can be fixed in CS3. If
          you need
          > > a fast shutter speed is this the way to go?
          >
          > Yes 2.8 is fine, but be careful with focusing, I hope you done some
          tests at full opening and
          > taped the focus. It is very sensible.
          >
          > I do not think lightfall is a problem at all. I use a setting of
          around 40 in Photoshop Raw
          > which is nothing compared to the 100% with the old Sigma 8mm.
          >
          > However do not expect the sharpness to the best at the top and
          bottom. Usually thats not a
          > problem for these type of shots.
          > As far as I remember all the panos from Photokina was made at 2.8
          and 4.
          > http://www.panoramas.dk/photokina/
          >
          > Hans

        • Hans Nyberg
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 4, 2007

            > Yes Hans is right, it is usable at 2.8 but the focus is critical. If
            > you get the chance you should try it on a Canon40d with LiveView with
            > the 10X magnifier enabled. It wasnt til I did this that I realised
            > just how accurate you need be be. A millimeter off on the focusing
            > ring is significant at 2.8

            And BTW the same with the Tokina 10-17mm

            Hans
          • AYRTON - avi
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 4, 2007
              On 11/4/07, Hans Nyberg <hans@...> wrote:

              > And BTW the same with the Tokina 10-17mm
              >
              > Hans

              Hans I just bought a Tokina 10-17 mm ...
              do you have good or bad experiences with it???
              I do have the nikkor 1o,5 mm too
              Na dI'm using Nikon cameras ...
              Which one should I keep and one to sell :-)

              Thanks

              AYRTON 21-9982.6313 www.ayrton.com
              Ladeira de Nossa Senhora, 214 / sl. 101 www.vrfolio.com
              Outeiro da Glória - RJ - 22211-100 - Brasil www.vr-images.com