Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: Self introduction

  • Roger D. Williams
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 2, 2007
      On Fri, 02 Nov 2007 17:35:32 +0900, John Houghton
      <j.houghton@...> wrote:

      > Of rather more concern is the bowing of straight line features. See
      > the low wall and paving lines below the main pyramid. These show
      > nasty curving.
      >
      > You don't mention how you stitched the images. If using PTGui, see
      > this levelling tutorial:
      >
      > http://www.johnhpanos.com/levtut.htm
      >
      > Again if using PTGui, the curved straight line features are probably
      > due to bad lens parameters evaluated by poor optimization.
      > Calibrating the lens parameters would solve that problem.

      Another possibility is that this is a cylindrical panorama being viewed
      as a spherical panorama. I used to shoot ONLY cylindrical panoramas for
      years, and ran into this quite a lot. It was confusing until I found
      the settings to force the viewer to treat my images as cylindrical. It's
      easy enough for the viewer to do this automatically--the give-away is
      that the vertical and horizontal pixel counts are not in the raio 2:1.
      But not all do...

      Roger W.

      --
      Work: www.adex-japan.com
      Play: www.usefilm.com/member/roger
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 2, 2007
        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Roger D. Williams" <roger@...>
        wrote:

        > Another possibility is that this is a cylindrical panorama being
        > viewed as a spherical panorama.

        Roger, Good thinking. That is indeed the problem here, i.e. a .mov
        file produced from a cylindrical input. I had some problems verifying
        this as Pano2VR failed to convert the .mov file to equirectangular
        properly; the output file was only 1KB! Fortunately, it did manage to
        produce a new .mov file which could then be converted to
        equirectangular ok.

        John