Re: Weird black haze when shooting without Zenith and Nadir shots

    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 2, 2007
      On Tuesday, October 30, 2007 at 5:33, Jeremy wrote:

      > When I crop the images, I avoid the black haze, but end up with an
      > image that is NOT equirectangular

      You should crop the input images in PTGui such that the crop circle
      is inside the actual image circle border...

      best regards
    • Jeremy
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 5, 2007
        Argh. That's what I get for working til 3am! :) Here's the
        black hazy shot.

        www.vli.com/hazetestshot.gif

        -Jeremy

        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "John Houghton" <j.houghton@...>
        wrote:

        > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Jeremy" <discaholic@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Here's is an example of what I'm talking about with the black haze
        > > www.vli.com/hazetestshot
        >
        > Jeremy, your link doesn't work.
        >
        > If you set the output panorama format to be a 360x180
        equirectangular
        > image before generating the panorama then that is what you will
        get.
        > Do this from the Panorama Editor window: either via the Projection
        > menu or simply press ctrl+shift+H. Blank space at the top is to be
        > expected if you keep the camera level but can be eliminated by
        tilting
        > the camera up by about 5 degrees. Another cause is inadequate lens
        > parameter values. See this thread for further discussion:

        > John

      • John Houghton
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 6, 2007
          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Jeremy" <discaholic@...> wrote:

          > Argh. That's what I get for working til 3am!

          Jeremy, It doesn't look like you have cropped the images in any way.
          As Erik pointed out, this is essential. You should either apply a
          circular crop in PTGui or Hugin to mask away the blak parts, (the
          obvious way), or use an alpha channel mask.

          John
        • John Houghton
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 6, 2007
            Just a thought: have you made the classic mistake of not removing the
            push-fit collar that holds the lens cap on a Sigma 8mm lens? I think
            that reduces the fov to 140 degrees, as seems to be the case in your
            image.

            John
          • Sacha Griffin
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 7, 2007
              It almost appears your neighbors with Jim waters.. It's similar to his CA
              test pano I studied intensively.

              I honestly am not really sure. I leave tripod junk in my shots every time
              and ptgui with ptgui/blender is able to recognize it and not blend it.

              Unless it occurs in every frame in the same spot which is what could be the
              problem. Either crop it out or open each photo in photoshop,

              Create an alpha channel, select the alpha channel and paint the offending
              junk away.

              Sacha Griffin
              www.southern-digital.com
              www.seeit360.net
              www.ezphotosafe.com
              404-551-4275
              404-731-7798

              _____

              "John Houghton" <j.houghton@...>
              wrote:

              > --- In PanoToolsNG@ <mailto:PanoToolsNG%40yahoogroups.com>
              yahoogroups.com, "Jeremy" <discaholic@> wrote:

              > > Here's is an example of what I'm talking about with the black haze
              > > www.vli.com/hazetestshot
              >
              > Jeremy, your link doesn't work.
              >
              > If you set the output panorama format to be a 360x180
              equirectangular
              > image before generating the panorama then that is what you will
              get.
              > Do this from the Panorama Editor window: either via the Projection
              > menu or simply press ctrl+shift+H. Blank space at the top is to be
              > expected if you keep the camera level but can be eliminated by
              tilting
              > the camera up by about 5 degrees. Another cause is inadequate lens
              > parameter values. See this thread for further discussion:
              >
              > http://tech.
              groups.yahoo.com/group/PanoToolsNG/message/13922