Re: Self introduction

  • John Houghton
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 2, 2007
      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas." <thumeau@...> wrote:

      > Most of the stitching errors should be gone.
      > Let me know if you still see leveling issues.

      Thomas, The stitching errors have gone, but the levelling is not
      quite as good as it might be. When you have such nice, clear
      reflections of features in the water surfaces, which are naturally
      vertically aligned, it's easy to get perfect levelling.

      Of rather more concern is the bowing of straight line features. See
      the low wall and paving lines below the main pyramid. These show
      nasty curving.

      You don't mention how you stitched the images. If using PTGui, see
      this levelling tutorial:

      http://www.johnhpanos.com/levtut.htm

      Again if using PTGui, the curved straight line features are probably
      due to bad lens parameters evaluated by poor optimization.
      Calibrating the lens parameters would solve that problem.

      John
    • Roger D. Williams
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 2, 2007
        On Fri, 02 Nov 2007 17:35:32 +0900, John Houghton
        <j.houghton@...> wrote:

        > Of rather more concern is the bowing of straight line features. See
        > the low wall and paving lines below the main pyramid. These show
        > nasty curving.
        >
        > You don't mention how you stitched the images. If using PTGui, see
        > this levelling tutorial:
        >
        > http://www.johnhpanos.com/levtut.htm
        >
        > Again if using PTGui, the curved straight line features are probably
        > due to bad lens parameters evaluated by poor optimization.
        > Calibrating the lens parameters would solve that problem.

        Another possibility is that this is a cylindrical panorama being viewed
        as a spherical panorama. I used to shoot ONLY cylindrical panoramas for
        years, and ran into this quite a lot. It was confusing until I found
        the settings to force the viewer to treat my images as cylindrical. It's
        easy enough for the viewer to do this automatically--the give-away is
        that the vertical and horizontal pixel counts are not in the raio 2:1.
        But not all do...

        Roger W.

        --
        Work: www.adex-japan.com
        Play: www.usefilm.com/member/roger
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 2, 2007
          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Roger D. Williams" <roger@...>
          wrote:

          > Another possibility is that this is a cylindrical panorama being
          > viewed as a spherical panorama.

          Roger, Good thinking. That is indeed the problem here, i.e. a .mov
          file produced from a cylindrical input. I had some problems verifying
          this as Pano2VR failed to convert the .mov file to equirectangular
          properly; the output file was only 1KB! Fortunately, it did manage to
          produce a new .mov file which could then be converted to
          equirectangular ok.

          John