Re: Self introduction

  • Thomas.
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 1, 2007
      Hi John,
      Thank you for your comments.
      Yes, at the time I did the stitching, my workflow was not very good.
      Following your advise, I have remade the panorama and posted it again
      at the same place. Most of the stitching errors should be gone.
      Let me know if you still see leveling issues.

      I took this panorama with a Nikon D70 and Tokina 12-24 (at 12 obviously).

      Thanks,
      Thomas

      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "John Houghton" <j.houghton@...>
      wrote:

      > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Humeau" <thumeau@> wrote:
      > > My favorite panorama so far is one I took at night in Paris of the
      > > Louvre museum:
      >
      > Thomas, Welcome. You have captured the scene quite well, but there are
      > some minor problems. There are obvious stitching errors and the
      > panorama needs levelling, as it's impossible to get all the verticals
      > vertical. The image doesn't look quite right to me, but that might be
      > down to the viewer or image cropping or stitching. It would be helpful
      > if you could give some details about the equipment used and your
      > stitching workflow. We would then be better placed to suggest ways of
      > correcting these and any other problems that might be spotted. It
      > certainly looks like it would be well worth spending the little time
      > necessary to put things right.
      >
      > John

    • John Houghton
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 2, 2007
        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas." <thumeau@...> wrote:

        > Most of the stitching errors should be gone.
        > Let me know if you still see leveling issues.

        Thomas, The stitching errors have gone, but the levelling is not
        quite as good as it might be. When you have such nice, clear
        reflections of features in the water surfaces, which are naturally
        vertically aligned, it's easy to get perfect levelling.

        Of rather more concern is the bowing of straight line features. See
        the low wall and paving lines below the main pyramid. These show
        nasty curving.

        You don't mention how you stitched the images. If using PTGui, see
        this levelling tutorial:

        http://www.johnhpanos.com/levtut.htm

        Again if using PTGui, the curved straight line features are probably
        due to bad lens parameters evaluated by poor optimization.
        Calibrating the lens parameters would solve that problem.

        John
      • Roger D. Williams
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 2, 2007
          On Fri, 02 Nov 2007 17:35:32 +0900, John Houghton
          <j.houghton@...> wrote:

          > Of rather more concern is the bowing of straight line features. See
          > the low wall and paving lines below the main pyramid. These show
          > nasty curving.
          >
          > You don't mention how you stitched the images. If using PTGui, see
          > this levelling tutorial:
          >
          > http://www.johnhpanos.com/levtut.htm
          >
          > Again if using PTGui, the curved straight line features are probably
          > due to bad lens parameters evaluated by poor optimization.
          > Calibrating the lens parameters would solve that problem.

          Another possibility is that this is a cylindrical panorama being viewed
          as a spherical panorama. I used to shoot ONLY cylindrical panoramas for
          years, and ran into this quite a lot. It was confusing until I found
          the settings to force the viewer to treat my images as cylindrical. It's
          easy enough for the viewer to do this automatically--the give-away is
          that the vertical and horizontal pixel counts are not in the raio 2:1.
          But not all do...

          Roger W.

          --
          Work: www.adex-japan.com
          Play: www.usefilm.com/member/roger
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 2, 2007
            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Roger D. Williams" <roger@...>
            wrote:

            > Another possibility is that this is a cylindrical panorama being
            > viewed as a spherical panorama.

            Roger, Good thinking. That is indeed the problem here, i.e. a .mov
            file produced from a cylindrical input. I had some problems verifying
            this as Pano2VR failed to convert the .mov file to equirectangular
            properly; the output file was only 1KB! Fortunately, it did manage to
            produce a new .mov file which could then be converted to
            equirectangular ok.

            John