Re: [PanoToolsNG] angle of view ???

  • AYRTON - avi
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 1, 2007
      On 11/1/07, Milko Amorth <panotools@...> wrote:
      > Hi Michel,
      >
      > > I am not sure that this is perfectly accurate as my assumptions may
      > > be wrong. But it looks good;-)
      >
      > Interesting forensic.
      > I would have guessed over 180° fov. To me it does not look like a
      > cylindrical projection at all. It looks more like an array of horizontal
      > rectlinear tiles fudged together, rather unsuccessfully in the ceiling
      > area. Again, pure speculation, but fun.

      Milko that's exactly that
      Not a cylindrical projection
      The client told me that the photographer took the photos on his hands
      just turning aroound on a normal tripod and at the client's agency
      some young designer put all the shots together ...

      But he can not remember if the photographer turn 180º or more, or even less ...

      AYRTON

      > Cheers, Milko
      >

      > --
      > Milko K. Amorth
      > 360° Immersive Imaging Productions
      >
      > VRCanada.ca
      > Vancouver.360cities.net
      > Ph:604.561.5101
      > fx: 604.909.5125
      >
      > Skype: VRdundee
      > Adobe Photographers Directory: tinyurl.com/2e3tnq
      > Flickr: flickr.com/photos/vrdundee/
      > Youtube: youtube.com/user/VRDundee Member of IVRPA.org (International VR
      > Photography Association): ivrpa.org/user/1133
      > Member of the Panorama Tools Meeting Group Europe : panotools-meeting.com/
      > Contributor to the WorldWidePanorama.com Project ( University of
      > California Berkeley) : tinyurl.com/233lkg
      > Member of 360cities.net network VR portal

      AYRTON 21-9982.6313 www.ayrton.com
      Ladeira de Nossa Senhora, 214 / sl. 101 www.vrfolio.com
      Outeiro da Glória - RJ - 22211-100 - Brasil www.vr-images.com
      Panoramas do Rio de Janeiro www.rio360.com.br
    • Alan Ball
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 2, 2007
        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, michel thoby <thobymichel@...> wrote:

        > Hi Ayrton,
        >
        > I think the answer is about 167 degrees.
        >
        > As you requested it, I have tried to develop a technique to address
        > this unusual specific problem.

        That guess looks about right. The earlier guess of 130 degrees seemed
        to be too narrow. I came to my own "back-of-the-envelope" guess from
        the square ceiling and floor tiles. Barring a major interruption in
        the square grid, the angle is definitely fairly close to 180 degrees
        but isn't quite there. It is then a matter of estimating how many
        squares' depth correspond to one squares' width at the edges, then
        calculating the arctangent of the width-to-depth ratio to get the
        angle at each edge compared to the depth. It is clear that the view
        isn't quite 180 degrees at each side, so you subtract the sum of these
        calculated angles from 180 degrees to get the horizontal angle of view.

        Alan Ball
        scoundrel1728
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 2, 2007
          On Thursday, November 01, 2007 at 18:41, michel thoby wrote:

          > I am not sure that this is perfectly accurate as my assumptions may
          > be wrong. But it looks good;-)

          That reminds me of my experiments how to achieve the orientation
          plate (arc) projection. Rik Littlefield helped me then to undestand
          the maths.

          Perhaps you could use it to verify your assumption:
          http://wiki.panotools.org/Unusual_remappings

          best regards