Re: [PanoToolsNG] angle of view ???

  • Milko Amorth
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 1, 2007
      Hi Michel,

      > I am not sure that this is perfectly accurate as my assumptions may
      > be wrong. But it looks good;-)

      Interesting forensic.
      I would have guessed over 180° fov. To me it does not look like a
      cylindrical projection at all. It looks more like an array of horizontal
      rectlinear tiles fudged together, rather unsuccessfully in the ceiling
      area. Again, pure speculation, but fun.

      Cheers, Milko

      --
      Milko K. Amorth
      360° Immersive Imaging Productions

      VRCanada.ca
      Vancouver.360cities.net
      Ph:604.561.5101
      fx: 604.909.5125

      Skype: VRdundee
      Adobe Photographers Directory: tinyurl.com/2e3tnq
      Flickr: flickr.com/photos/vrdundee/
      Youtube: youtube.com/user/VRDundee Member of IVRPA.org (International VR
      Photography Association): ivrpa.org/user/1133
      Member of the Panorama Tools Meeting Group Europe : panotools-meeting.com/
      Contributor to the WorldWidePanorama.com Project ( University of
      California Berkeley) : tinyurl.com/233lkg
      Member of 360cities.net network VR portal
    • AYRTON - avi
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 1, 2007
        On 11/1/07, Milko Amorth <panotools@...> wrote:
        > Hi Michel,
        >
        > > I am not sure that this is perfectly accurate as my assumptions may
        > > be wrong. But it looks good;-)
        >
        > Interesting forensic.
        > I would have guessed over 180° fov. To me it does not look like a
        > cylindrical projection at all. It looks more like an array of horizontal
        > rectlinear tiles fudged together, rather unsuccessfully in the ceiling
        > area. Again, pure speculation, but fun.

        Milko that's exactly that
        Not a cylindrical projection
        The client told me that the photographer took the photos on his hands
        just turning aroound on a normal tripod and at the client's agency
        some young designer put all the shots together ...

        But he can not remember if the photographer turn 180º or more, or even less ...

        AYRTON

        > Cheers, Milko
        >

        > --
        > Milko K. Amorth
        > 360° Immersive Imaging Productions
        >
        > VRCanada.ca
        > Vancouver.360cities.net
        > Ph:604.561.5101
        > fx: 604.909.5125
        >
        > Skype: VRdundee
        > Adobe Photographers Directory: tinyurl.com/2e3tnq
        > Flickr: flickr.com/photos/vrdundee/
        > Youtube: youtube.com/user/VRDundee Member of IVRPA.org (International VR
        > Photography Association): ivrpa.org/user/1133
        > Member of the Panorama Tools Meeting Group Europe : panotools-meeting.com/
        > Contributor to the WorldWidePanorama.com Project ( University of
        > California Berkeley) : tinyurl.com/233lkg
        > Member of 360cities.net network VR portal

        AYRTON 21-9982.6313 www.ayrton.com
        Ladeira de Nossa Senhora, 214 / sl. 101 www.vrfolio.com
        Outeiro da Glória - RJ - 22211-100 - Brasil www.vr-images.com
        Panoramas do Rio de Janeiro www.rio360.com.br
      • Alan Ball
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 2, 2007
          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, michel thoby <thobymichel@...> wrote:

          > Hi Ayrton,
          >
          > I think the answer is about 167 degrees.
          >
          > As you requested it, I have tried to develop a technique to address
          > this unusual specific problem.

          That guess looks about right. The earlier guess of 130 degrees seemed
          to be too narrow. I came to my own "back-of-the-envelope" guess from
          the square ceiling and floor tiles. Barring a major interruption in
          the square grid, the angle is definitely fairly close to 180 degrees
          but isn't quite there. It is then a matter of estimating how many
          squares' depth correspond to one squares' width at the edges, then
          calculating the arctangent of the width-to-depth ratio to get the
          angle at each edge compared to the depth. It is clear that the view
          isn't quite 180 degrees at each side, so you subtract the sum of these
          calculated angles from 180 degrees to get the horizontal angle of view.

          Alan Ball
          scoundrel1728
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 2, 2007
            On Thursday, November 01, 2007 at 18:41, michel thoby wrote:

            > I am not sure that this is perfectly accurate as my assumptions may
            > be wrong. But it looks good;-)

            That reminds me of my experiments how to achieve the orientation
            plate (arc) projection. Rik Littlefield helped me then to undestand
            the maths.

            Perhaps you could use it to verify your assumption:
            http://wiki.panotools.org/Unusual_remappings

            best regards