Re: [PanoToolsNG] angle of view ???

  • AYRTON - avi
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 1, 2007
      Michel
      avant de tout
      I must say I'm a admirer of your tests, website, photos and experiments :-)

      Second:
      thanks a lot for your time.
      I'm gonna try your description below

      Thanks again !
      merci beaucoup :-)

      Salut
      Ayrton

    • Milko Amorth
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 1, 2007
        Hi Michel,

        > I am not sure that this is perfectly accurate as my assumptions may
        > be wrong. But it looks good;-)

        Interesting forensic.
        I would have guessed over 180° fov. To me it does not look like a
        cylindrical projection at all. It looks more like an array of horizontal
        rectlinear tiles fudged together, rather unsuccessfully in the ceiling
        area. Again, pure speculation, but fun.

        Cheers, Milko

        --
        Milko K. Amorth
        360° Immersive Imaging Productions

        VRCanada.ca
        Vancouver.360cities.net
        Ph:604.561.5101
        fx: 604.909.5125

        Skype: VRdundee
        Adobe Photographers Directory: tinyurl.com/2e3tnq
        Flickr: flickr.com/photos/vrdundee/
        Youtube: youtube.com/user/VRDundee Member of IVRPA.org (International VR
        Photography Association): ivrpa.org/user/1133
        Member of the Panorama Tools Meeting Group Europe : panotools-meeting.com/
        Contributor to the WorldWidePanorama.com Project ( University of
        California Berkeley) : tinyurl.com/233lkg
        Member of 360cities.net network VR portal
      • AYRTON - avi
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 1, 2007
          On 11/1/07, Milko Amorth <panotools@...> wrote:
          > Hi Michel,
          >
          > > I am not sure that this is perfectly accurate as my assumptions may
          > > be wrong. But it looks good;-)
          >
          > Interesting forensic.
          > I would have guessed over 180° fov. To me it does not look like a
          > cylindrical projection at all. It looks more like an array of horizontal
          > rectlinear tiles fudged together, rather unsuccessfully in the ceiling
          > area. Again, pure speculation, but fun.

          Milko that's exactly that
          Not a cylindrical projection
          The client told me that the photographer took the photos on his hands
          just turning aroound on a normal tripod and at the client's agency
          some young designer put all the shots together ...

          But he can not remember if the photographer turn 180º or more, or even less ...

          AYRTON

          > Cheers, Milko
          >

          > --
          > Milko K. Amorth
          > 360° Immersive Imaging Productions
          >
          > VRCanada.ca
          > Vancouver.360cities.net
          > Ph:604.561.5101
          > fx: 604.909.5125
          >
          > Skype: VRdundee
          > Adobe Photographers Directory: tinyurl.com/2e3tnq
          > Flickr: flickr.com/photos/vrdundee/
          > Youtube: youtube.com/user/VRDundee Member of IVRPA.org (International VR
          > Photography Association): ivrpa.org/user/1133
          > Member of the Panorama Tools Meeting Group Europe : panotools-meeting.com/
          > Contributor to the WorldWidePanorama.com Project ( University of
          > California Berkeley) : tinyurl.com/233lkg
          > Member of 360cities.net network VR portal

          AYRTON 21-9982.6313 www.ayrton.com
          Ladeira de Nossa Senhora, 214 / sl. 101 www.vrfolio.com
          Outeiro da Glória - RJ - 22211-100 - Brasil www.vr-images.com
          Panoramas do Rio de Janeiro www.rio360.com.br
        • Alan Ball
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 2, 2007
            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, michel thoby <thobymichel@...> wrote:

            > Hi Ayrton,
            >
            > I think the answer is about 167 degrees.
            >
            > As you requested it, I have tried to develop a technique to address
            > this unusual specific problem.

            That guess looks about right. The earlier guess of 130 degrees seemed
            to be too narrow. I came to my own "back-of-the-envelope" guess from
            the square ceiling and floor tiles. Barring a major interruption in
            the square grid, the angle is definitely fairly close to 180 degrees
            but isn't quite there. It is then a matter of estimating how many
            squares' depth correspond to one squares' width at the edges, then
            calculating the arctangent of the width-to-depth ratio to get the
            angle at each edge compared to the depth. It is clear that the view
            isn't quite 180 degrees at each side, so you subtract the sum of these
            calculated angles from 180 degrees to get the horizontal angle of view.

            Alan Ball
            scoundrel1728
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 2, 2007
              On Thursday, November 01, 2007 at 18:41, michel thoby wrote:

              > I am not sure that this is perfectly accurate as my assumptions may
              > be wrong. But it looks good;-)

              That reminds me of my experiments how to achieve the orientation
              plate (arc) projection. Rik Littlefield helped me then to undestand
              the maths.

              Perhaps you could use it to verify your assumption:
              http://wiki.panotools.org/Unusual_remappings

              best regards