Re: [PanoToolsNG] angle of view ???

  • Ian Wood
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 1, 2007
      *IF* the grid on the ceiling is a regular grid then it's somewhere
      around 130 degrees, but there's some weird stuff going on above the
      chiller cabinets...

      Finding out the exact FoV would be very tricky.

      Ian

      On 1 Nov 2007, at 15:31, AYRTON - avi wrote:

      > Guys
      > I have a question, and really appreciate if someone can help me :
      >
      > I just received a photo from a client as a sample, and I would like to
      > know if there is a way to find out what is the exact horizontal angle
      > of view on a given image ???
      >
      > the photo is here:
      > www.ayrton.com/diversos/questions/angleofview.jpg
      >
      > Thanks a lot
      > Ayrton
      >
      > --
      > AYRTON 21-9982.6313 www.ayrton.com
      > Ladeira de Nossa Senhora, 214 / sl. 101 www.vrfolio.com
      > Outeiro da Glória - RJ - 22211-100 - Brasil www.vr-images.com
      > Panoramas do Rio de Janeiro www.rio360.com.br

    • AYRTON - avi
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 1, 2007
        hi Ian,
        THANKS
        I tought the same, (130º) looking at the ceilings grid, but I wish to
        know if there's a tecnique to find out the exact angle of any given
        shot ?!?

        Ayrton

        On 11/1/07, Ian Wood <panolists@...> wrote:
        > *IF* the grid on the ceiling is a regular grid then it's somewhere
        > around 130 degrees, but there's some weird stuff going on above the
        > chiller cabinets...
        >
        > Finding out the exact FoV would be very tricky.
        >
        > Ian
        >
        > On 1 Nov 2007, at 15:31, AYRTON - avi wrote:
        >
        > > Guys
        > > I have a question, and really appreciate if someone can help me :
        > >
        > > I just received a photo from a client as a sample, and I would like to
        > > know if there is a way to find out what is the exact horizontal angle
        > > of view on a given image ???
        > >
        > > the photo is here:
        > > www.ayrton.com/diversos/questions/angleofview.jpg
        > >
        > > Thanks a lot
        > > Ayrton
        > >
        > > --
        > > AYRTON 21-9982.6313 www.ayrton.com
        > > Ladeira de Nossa Senhora, 214 / sl. 101 www.vrfolio.com
        > > Outeiro da Glória - RJ - 22211-100 - Brasil www.vr-images.com
        > > Panoramas do Rio de Janeiro www.rio360.com.br
        > >

        > > --

        AYRTON 21-9982.6313 www.ayrton.com
        Ladeira de Nossa Senhora, 214 / sl. 101 www.vrfolio.com
        Outeiro da Glória - RJ - 22211-100 - Brasil www.vr-images.com
        Panoramas do Rio de Janeiro www.rio360.com.br
      • michel thoby
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 1, 2007
          Hi Ayrton,

          I think the answer is about 167 degrees.

          As you requested it, I have tried to develop a technique to address
          this unusual specific problem.

          I have used only one tool for this: PTGui.

          Illustration given here:http://michel.thoby.free.fr/PB_FOV_Ayrton/
          ceiling_Ayrton_167deg.jpg
          and the script is here: http://michel.thoby.free.fr/PB_FOV_Ayrton/
          Ayrton-167deg.pts

          Assuming the provided image to be a purely partial cylindrical
          panorama, I have set the Lens Settings parameters correspondingly.
          Then I have searched for feature(s) that would encompass a large
          angle on the ceiling or on the floor and that for sure is on the same
          straight line in real world.

          I have found and selected such a feature on the ceiling: the straight
          line (in real world) stretches from the top left to the top right of
          the image but is cropped out in the center.
          By moving the image around on the grid of the Panorama Editor, I have
          forced this line to lie on the center horizontal axis and tweaked the
          FOV value step by step. When I have set to 167 degrees, the "line" is
          coincident with the axis (and the other supposed straight lines of
          the ceiling are about parallel as they should be).
          Moving away from this 167 degrees value setting makes the expected
          coincidence (of the straight line with the axis) impossible...

          I am not sure that this is perfectly accurate as my assumptions may
          be wrong. But it looks good;-)

          Regards,

          Michel

          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 1, 2007
            Michel
            avant de tout
            I must say I'm a admirer of your tests, website, photos and experiments :-)

            Second:
            thanks a lot for your time.
            I'm gonna try your description below

            Thanks again !
            merci beaucoup :-)

            Salut
            Ayrton

          • Milko Amorth
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 1, 2007
              Hi Michel,

              > I am not sure that this is perfectly accurate as my assumptions may
              > be wrong. But it looks good;-)

              Interesting forensic.
              I would have guessed over 180° fov. To me it does not look like a
              cylindrical projection at all. It looks more like an array of horizontal
              rectlinear tiles fudged together, rather unsuccessfully in the ceiling
              area. Again, pure speculation, but fun.

              Cheers, Milko

              --
              Milko K. Amorth
              360° Immersive Imaging Productions

              VRCanada.ca
              Vancouver.360cities.net
              Ph:604.561.5101
              fx: 604.909.5125

              Skype: VRdundee
              Adobe Photographers Directory: tinyurl.com/2e3tnq
              Flickr: flickr.com/photos/vrdundee/
              Youtube: youtube.com/user/VRDundee Member of IVRPA.org (International VR
              Photography Association): ivrpa.org/user/1133
              Member of the Panorama Tools Meeting Group Europe : panotools-meeting.com/
              Contributor to the WorldWidePanorama.com Project ( University of
              California Berkeley) : tinyurl.com/233lkg
              Member of 360cities.net network VR portal
            • AYRTON - avi
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 1, 2007
                On 11/1/07, Milko Amorth <panotools@...> wrote:
                > Hi Michel,
                >
                > > I am not sure that this is perfectly accurate as my assumptions may
                > > be wrong. But it looks good;-)
                >
                > Interesting forensic.
                > I would have guessed over 180° fov. To me it does not look like a
                > cylindrical projection at all. It looks more like an array of horizontal
                > rectlinear tiles fudged together, rather unsuccessfully in the ceiling
                > area. Again, pure speculation, but fun.

                Milko that's exactly that
                Not a cylindrical projection
                The client told me that the photographer took the photos on his hands
                just turning aroound on a normal tripod and at the client's agency
                some young designer put all the shots together ...

                But he can not remember if the photographer turn 180º or more, or even less ...

                AYRTON

                > Cheers, Milko
                >

                > --
                > Milko K. Amorth
                > 360° Immersive Imaging Productions
                >
                > VRCanada.ca
                > Vancouver.360cities.net
                > Ph:604.561.5101
                > fx: 604.909.5125
                >
                > Skype: VRdundee
                > Adobe Photographers Directory: tinyurl.com/2e3tnq
                > Flickr: flickr.com/photos/vrdundee/
                > Youtube: youtube.com/user/VRDundee Member of IVRPA.org (International VR
                > Photography Association): ivrpa.org/user/1133
                > Member of the Panorama Tools Meeting Group Europe : panotools-meeting.com/
                > Contributor to the WorldWidePanorama.com Project ( University of
                > California Berkeley) : tinyurl.com/233lkg
                > Member of 360cities.net network VR portal

                AYRTON 21-9982.6313 www.ayrton.com
                Ladeira de Nossa Senhora, 214 / sl. 101 www.vrfolio.com
                Outeiro da Glória - RJ - 22211-100 - Brasil www.vr-images.com
                Panoramas do Rio de Janeiro www.rio360.com.br
              • Alan Ball
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 2, 2007
                  --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, michel thoby <thobymichel@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Ayrton,
                  >
                  > I think the answer is about 167 degrees.
                  >
                  > As you requested it, I have tried to develop a technique to address
                  > this unusual specific problem.

                  That guess looks about right. The earlier guess of 130 degrees seemed
                  to be too narrow. I came to my own "back-of-the-envelope" guess from
                  the square ceiling and floor tiles. Barring a major interruption in
                  the square grid, the angle is definitely fairly close to 180 degrees
                  but isn't quite there. It is then a matter of estimating how many
                  squares' depth correspond to one squares' width at the edges, then
                  calculating the arctangent of the width-to-depth ratio to get the
                  angle at each edge compared to the depth. It is clear that the view
                  isn't quite 180 degrees at each side, so you subtract the sum of these
                  calculated angles from 180 degrees to get the horizontal angle of view.

                  Alan Ball
                  scoundrel1728
                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 2, 2007
                    On Thursday, November 01, 2007 at 18:41, michel thoby wrote:

                    > I am not sure that this is perfectly accurate as my assumptions may
                    > be wrong. But it looks good;-)

                    That reminds me of my experiments how to achieve the orientation
                    plate (arc) projection. Rik Littlefield helped me then to undestand
                    the maths.

                    Perhaps you could use it to verify your assumption:
                    http://wiki.panotools.org/Unusual_remappings

                    best regards