Re: las vegas boulevard - hd view

  • Juergen Schrader
    Message 1 of 25 , Oct 31, 2007
      yep, i found this on the ivrpa journal today and soon will give it a
      try.

      cheers
      juergen

      pablo, you got my mail?

      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Pablo dAngelo
      <pablo.dangelo@...> wrote:

      > Hi Juergen,
      >
      > > i agree and would be happy if one could direct me to an
      appropriate
      > > tool a non coder can use to show sphericals at least in the 1/2
      > > gigapixel range.
      >
      > Google Earth can do this, too. It doesn't have some fancy features
      of
      > HDView, but its nice to place panos on Google Earth. I have tested
      it with a
      > 40000x10000 cylindrical pano I shot from the Campanile in
      Berkeley, and it
      > works fine. I have used a self written python script for the
      creation of the
      > required tiles, but this should also work and is probably a little
      more
      > comfortable:
      > http://www.casa.ucl.ac.uk/software/photooverlaycreator.asp
      > Not sure if that progam can convert gigapixel panos, though.
      >
      > This is actually nicer than most of the other viewers, since it
      will work in
      > linux too ;-)
      >
      > ciao
      > Pablo
      >

      > > best
      > > juergen
      > >
      > > but we don't need another ms flame though ^^
      > >

      > > --- In #email-removed# Keith Martin <keith@> wrote:

      > > with MACs.
      > >> Quite. "Anyone's guess" is one way of putting it.
      > >> "Snowball's chance in hell" is another. Remember,
      > >> this is the company that is known for the
      > >> 'exterminate' approach to all competition,
      > >> wherever they can get away with it and sometimes
      > >> where they can't.
      > >>
      > >> I appreciate the fact that this viewer offers
      > >> something very interesting for certain projects.
      > >> But please remember to support inclusive,
      > >> cross-platform solutions wherever humanly
      > >> possible.

    • Juergen Schrader
      Message 2 of 25 , Oct 31, 2007
        thank you jook,

        i visited their site the other day and really like their approach.
        but finally i felt i wouldn't want to leave the picture i shot for a
        customer at full resolution on an unknown server.

        cheers
        juergen

        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Jook Leung <jook360@...> wrote:

        > For flat panoramas there's a cool sharing site at http://gigapan.org
        >

        > Jook
        >

        > On Oct 31, 2007, at 5:22 PM, Hans Nyberg wrote:
        >
        > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Juergen Schrader"
        > > <panorama@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > i agree and would be happy if one could direct me to an
        appropriate
        > > > tool a non coder can use to show sphericals at least in the 1/2
        > > > gigapixel range.
        > >
        > > Your 20.000 pixels should work fine in QTVR.
        > > I have one online here http://www.panoramas.dk/big/
        fullscreen1.html
        > > which as far as I remember is around 19.000 pixels and 5920
        pixels
        > > cubefaces.
        > > Made with 5x5 tiles it loads very fast the first parts.
        > >
        > > Warning; 23 mb download
        > >
        > > I guess around 7000pixels cubefaces is the max I can produce on
        my
        > > G5 with
        > > CubicConverter
        > >
        > > I have to say I hate zoomify
        > > I remember the zoomify spherical panoramas. They died a quiet
        death.

        > > I can not see the HDview in my Parallels Windows XP for some
        reason
        > > but I am not
        > > interested in it either. The whole idea with all these super
        > > resolution images on the net in
        > > zoomable versions are to me very uninteresting.
        > >
        > > For gigantic prints -Yes but seeing it in computer No.
        > >
        > > Hans
        > >

        > Jook Leung Photography
        > 360VR Images - 360 degree Panoramic photography
        > Web: http://360vr.com
        > E-mail: jook@...

      • Hans Nyberg
        Message 3 of 25 , Oct 31, 2007
          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Juergen Schrader" <panorama@...> wrote:

          > <Warning; 23 mb download>
          >
          > but that's exactly the point. and mind that this is just a small one.

          Not at all.
          The problem with the Zoomyfy type what ever it is called is that you have to download the
          tiles again and again.
          Image always has to update even if you have a 6 mbit connection like me.

          The QTVR when you make it the right way pointing at the right interesting point updates
          and stays as you start exploring.
          Even with a standard ADSL you have a full view on the screen in less than 20 seconds and
          when it is loaded you can explore what ever you like without the extremely irritating pixel
          update.

          Most of these gigapixel images has a real resolution which is much less than they claim.
          Cut them to half and you can still see the same details.

          My 5920 cubefaces can easy be reduced to 4500 and you will still have the same
          experience.

          And many of them has nothing to give you when zooming in.
          Take a look at the famous cliff here at Xrez
          http://www.xrez.com/

          It is impressing.
          But what the hack is impressing in zooming in on some stones.
          50% zoom is enough to give me the felling of the cliffs.

          The full image is what impresses me as a natural wonder.

          Hans
        • Jeffrey Martin
          Message 4 of 25 , Oct 31, 2007
            We *can* convert gigapixel panos / sphericals, into the googlemap and
            photoOverlay format simultaneously (with the additional option to put
            hotspots in the google map version...)
            One example (still under development - http://krumlov.360cities.net/?layer=1 )

            We do not (yet) offer an uploading interface, but whoever is
            interested, feel free to send a message to me off-list.

            Jeffrey

            --
            ------------------
            www.360cities.net
            Message 5 of 25 , Oct 31, 2007
              Zoomify isn't bad on a fast connection. On slow connections, it's beyond
              annoying. You are waiting 90% of the time for tile downloads.

              There seems to be a coding problem with the hd view stuff.

              It downloaded ALL interim tiles for before showing the tiles suitable for
              the view. Not cool.

              Ideally, tiles should be downloaded based on some the users connection speed
              to prevent further waits, except for sphericals. :-)

              Considering no one zooms for those anyway. Though tiles should be downloaded
              at higher resolutions for different screen resolutions.

              Sacha Griffin
              www.southern-digital.com
              www.seeit360.net
              www.ezphotosafe.com
              404-551-4275
              404-731-7798

              _____

              <http://www.panoramas.dk/big/fullscreen1.html> s.dk/big/fullscreen1.html
              which as far as I remember is around 19.000 pixels and 5920 pixels
              cubefaces.
              Made with 5x5 tiles it loads very fast the first parts.

              Warning; 23 mb download

              I guess around 7000pixels cubefaces is the max I can produce on my G5 with
              CubicConverter

              I have to say I hate zoomify
              I remember the zoomify spherical panoramas. They died a quiet death.

              I can not see the HDview in my Parallels Windows XP for some reason but I am
              not
              interested in it either. The whole idea with all these super resolution
              images on the net in
              zoomable versions are to me very uninteresting.

              For gigantic prints -Yes but seeing it in computer No.

            • greg downing
              Message 6 of 25 , Oct 31, 2007
                >Take a look at the famous cliff here at Xrez
                >http://www.xrez.com/

                Hans,

                You will have to refer the group to the specific image in the gallery,
                our images on our home page loads a different image at random from our
                gallery each time the page is reloaded.

                -Greg Downing
                http://www.xrez.com/
                http://www.gregdowning.com/
              • Hans Nyberg
                Message 7 of 25 , Oct 31, 2007
                  --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "greg downing" <greg@...> wrote:

                  > >Take a look at the famous cliff here at Xrez
                  > >http://www.xrez.com/
                  >
                  > Hans,
                  >
                  > You will have to refer the group to the specific image in the gallery,
                  > our images on our home page loads a different image at random from our
                  > gallery each time the page is reloaded.

                  Sorry, never seen anything else but ElCapitan in different versions on the frontpage,
                  Might be by chance. I can see if I reload I can get a couple of others.

                  Hans
                • Juergen Schrader
                  Message 8 of 25 , Oct 31, 2007
                    here we go:
                    http://www.schrader-air.de/panorama/lasvegas.kml

                    problem maybe the mime types in your browser and/or my server. i have
                    no idea how to fix this. i only was able to launch ge while using
                    firefox. ie and opera would open the kml as text file.

                    enjoy
                    juergen