Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: las vegas boulevard - hd view

  • Jook Leung
    Message 1 of 25 , Oct 31, 2007
      For flat panoramas there's a cool sharing site at http://gigapan.org

      Jook

      On Oct 31, 2007, at 5:22 PM, Hans Nyberg wrote:

      > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Juergen Schrader"
      > <panorama@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > i agree and would be happy if one could direct me to an appropriate
      > > tool a non coder can use to show sphericals at least in the 1/2
      > > gigapixel range.
      >
      > Your 20.000 pixels should work fine in QTVR.
      > I have one online here http://www.panoramas.dk/big/fullscreen1.html
      > which as far as I remember is around 19.000 pixels and 5920 pixels
      > cubefaces.
      > Made with 5x5 tiles it loads very fast the first parts.
      >
      > Warning; 23 mb download
      >
      > I guess around 7000pixels cubefaces is the max I can produce on my
      > G5 with
      > CubicConverter
      >
      > I have to say I hate zoomify
      > I remember the zoomify spherical panoramas. They died a quiet death.
      >
      > I can not see the HDview in my Parallels Windows XP for some reason
      > but I am not
      > interested in it either. The whole idea with all these super
      > resolution images on the net in
      > zoomable versions are to me very uninteresting.
      >
      > For gigantic prints -Yes but seeing it in computer No.
      >
      > Hans

      Jook Leung Photography
      360VR Images - 360 degree Panoramic photography
      Web: http://360vr.com
      E-mail: jook@...

    • Paul D. DeRocco
      Message 2 of 25 , Oct 31, 2007
        > From: Hans Nyberg
        >
        > Your 20.000 pixels should work fine in QTVR.
        > I have one online here http://www.panoramas.dk/big/fullscreen1.html
        > which as far as I remember is around 19.000 pixels and 5920
        > pixels cubefaces. Made with 5x5 tiles it loads very fast the
        > first parts.
        >
        > Warning; 23 mb download

        I think the point of this particular MS viewer is that it doesn't just
        download the whole image, it works more like Google Earth, downloading and
        caching the parts that the user actually views, at the resolution viewed at.
        Indeed, the presentation is fairly similar to the Gigapixl Photos on Google
        Earth, except that they're all flat, not 360s.

        > I can not see the HDview in my Parallels Windows XP for some
        > reason but I am not
        > interested in it either. The whole idea with all these super
        > resolution images on the net in
        > zoomable versions are to me very uninteresting.
        >
        > For gigantic prints -Yes but seeing it in computer No.

        Do you print other people's big panos? I never do--I just look at them
        online. For 360s, it's printing that seems pretty uninteresting to me, since
        they look pretty weird when printed flat.

        --

        Ciao, Paul D. DeRocco
        Paul mailto:pderocco@...
        Message 3 of 25 , Oct 31, 2007
          Hi Juergen,

          > i agree and would be happy if one could direct me to an appropriate
          > tool a non coder can use to show sphericals at least in the 1/2
          > gigapixel range.

          Google Earth can do this, too. It doesn't have some fancy features of
          HDView, but its nice to place panos on Google Earth. I have tested it with a
          40000x10000 cylindrical pano I shot from the Campanile in Berkeley, and it
          works fine. I have used a self written python script for the creation of the
          required tiles, but this should also work and is probably a little more
          comfortable:
          http://www.casa.ucl.ac.uk/software/photooverlaycreator.asp
          Not sure if that progam can convert gigapixel panos, though.

          This is actually nicer than most of the other viewers, since it will work in
          linux too ;-)

          ciao
          Pablo

          > best
          > juergen
          >
          > but we don't need another ms flame though ^^
          >

          > --- In #email-removed# Keith Martin <keith@...> wrote:
          >> Sometime around 31/10/07 (at 12:39 -0400) Mark D. Fink said:
          >>
          >>> Once it
          >>> is out of beta, it's anyone's guess if MS will make it compatible
          > with MACs.
          >>> I wouldn't hold my breath… :o)
          >> Quite. "Anyone's guess" is one way of putting it.
          >> "Snowball's chance in hell" is another. Remember,
          >> this is the company that is known for the
          >> 'exterminate' approach to all competition,
          >> wherever they can get away with it and sometimes
          >> where they can't.
          >>
          >> I appreciate the fact that this viewer offers
          >> something very interesting for certain projects.
          >> But please remember to support inclusive,
          >> cross-platform solutions wherever humanly
          >> possible.

        • Juergen Schrader
          Message 4 of 25 , Oct 31, 2007
            yep, i found this on the ivrpa journal today and soon will give it a
            try.

            cheers
            juergen

            pablo, you got my mail?

            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Pablo dAngelo
            <pablo.dangelo@...> wrote:

            > Hi Juergen,
            >
            > > i agree and would be happy if one could direct me to an
            appropriate
            > > tool a non coder can use to show sphericals at least in the 1/2
            > > gigapixel range.
            >
            > Google Earth can do this, too. It doesn't have some fancy features
            of
            > HDView, but its nice to place panos on Google Earth. I have tested
            it with a
            > 40000x10000 cylindrical pano I shot from the Campanile in
            Berkeley, and it
            > works fine. I have used a self written python script for the
            creation of the
            > required tiles, but this should also work and is probably a little
            more
            > comfortable:
            > http://www.casa.ucl.ac.uk/software/photooverlaycreator.asp
            > Not sure if that progam can convert gigapixel panos, though.
            >
            > This is actually nicer than most of the other viewers, since it
            will work in
            > linux too ;-)
            >
            > ciao
            > Pablo
            >

            > > best
            > > juergen
            > >
            > > but we don't need another ms flame though ^^
            > >

            > > --- In #email-removed# Keith Martin <keith@> wrote:

            > > with MACs.
            > >> Quite. "Anyone's guess" is one way of putting it.
            > >> "Snowball's chance in hell" is another. Remember,
            > >> this is the company that is known for the
            > >> 'exterminate' approach to all competition,
            > >> wherever they can get away with it and sometimes
            > >> where they can't.
            > >>
            > >> I appreciate the fact that this viewer offers
            > >> something very interesting for certain projects.
            > >> But please remember to support inclusive,
            > >> cross-platform solutions wherever humanly
            > >> possible.

          • Juergen Schrader
            Message 5 of 25 , Oct 31, 2007
              thank you jook,

              i visited their site the other day and really like their approach.
              but finally i felt i wouldn't want to leave the picture i shot for a
              customer at full resolution on an unknown server.

              cheers
              juergen

              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Jook Leung <jook360@...> wrote:

              > For flat panoramas there's a cool sharing site at http://gigapan.org
              >

              > Jook
              >

              > On Oct 31, 2007, at 5:22 PM, Hans Nyberg wrote:
              >
              > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Juergen Schrader"
              > > <panorama@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > i agree and would be happy if one could direct me to an
              appropriate
              > > > tool a non coder can use to show sphericals at least in the 1/2
              > > > gigapixel range.
              > >
              > > Your 20.000 pixels should work fine in QTVR.
              > > I have one online here http://www.panoramas.dk/big/
              fullscreen1.html
              > > which as far as I remember is around 19.000 pixels and 5920
              pixels
              > > cubefaces.
              > > Made with 5x5 tiles it loads very fast the first parts.
              > >
              > > Warning; 23 mb download
              > >
              > > I guess around 7000pixels cubefaces is the max I can produce on
              my
              > > G5 with
              > > CubicConverter
              > >
              > > I have to say I hate zoomify
              > > I remember the zoomify spherical panoramas. They died a quiet
              death.

              > > I can not see the HDview in my Parallels Windows XP for some
              reason
              > > but I am not
              > > interested in it either. The whole idea with all these super
              > > resolution images on the net in
              > > zoomable versions are to me very uninteresting.
              > >
              > > For gigantic prints -Yes but seeing it in computer No.
              > >
              > > Hans
              > >

              > Jook Leung Photography
              > 360VR Images - 360 degree Panoramic photography
              > Web: http://360vr.com
              > E-mail: jook@...

            • Hans Nyberg
              Message 6 of 25 , Oct 31, 2007
                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Juergen Schrader" <panorama@...> wrote:

                > <Warning; 23 mb download>
                >
                > but that's exactly the point. and mind that this is just a small one.

                Not at all.
                The problem with the Zoomyfy type what ever it is called is that you have to download the
                tiles again and again.
                Image always has to update even if you have a 6 mbit connection like me.

                The QTVR when you make it the right way pointing at the right interesting point updates
                and stays as you start exploring.
                Even with a standard ADSL you have a full view on the screen in less than 20 seconds and
                when it is loaded you can explore what ever you like without the extremely irritating pixel
                update.

                Most of these gigapixel images has a real resolution which is much less than they claim.
                Cut them to half and you can still see the same details.

                My 5920 cubefaces can easy be reduced to 4500 and you will still have the same
                experience.

                And many of them has nothing to give you when zooming in.
                Take a look at the famous cliff here at Xrez
                http://www.xrez.com/

                It is impressing.
                But what the hack is impressing in zooming in on some stones.
                50% zoom is enough to give me the felling of the cliffs.

                The full image is what impresses me as a natural wonder.

                Hans
              • Jeffrey Martin
                Message 7 of 25 , Oct 31, 2007
                  We *can* convert gigapixel panos / sphericals, into the googlemap and
                  photoOverlay format simultaneously (with the additional option to put
                  hotspots in the google map version...)
                  One example (still under development - http://krumlov.360cities.net/?layer=1 )

                  We do not (yet) offer an uploading interface, but whoever is
                  interested, feel free to send a message to me off-list.

                  Jeffrey

                  > I have used a self written python script for the creation of the
                  > required tiles, but this should also work and is probably a little more
                  > comfortable:
                  > http://www.casa.ucl.ac.uk/software/photooverlaycreator.asp
                  > Not sure if that progam can convert gigapixel panos, though.

                  --
                  ------------------
                  www.360cities.net
                  Message 8 of 25 , Oct 31, 2007
                    Zoomify isn't bad on a fast connection. On slow connections, it's beyond
                    annoying. You are waiting 90% of the time for tile downloads.

                    There seems to be a coding problem with the hd view stuff.

                    It downloaded ALL interim tiles for before showing the tiles suitable for
                    the view. Not cool.

                    Ideally, tiles should be downloaded based on some the users connection speed
                    to prevent further waits, except for sphericals. :-)

                    Considering no one zooms for those anyway. Though tiles should be downloaded
                    at higher resolutions for different screen resolutions.

                    Sacha Griffin
                    www.southern-digital.com
                    www.seeit360.net
                    www.ezphotosafe.com
                    404-551-4275
                    404-731-7798

                    _____

                    <http://www.panoramas.dk/big/fullscreen1.html> s.dk/big/fullscreen1.html
                    which as far as I remember is around 19.000 pixels and 5920 pixels
                    cubefaces.
                    Made with 5x5 tiles it loads very fast the first parts.

                    Warning; 23 mb download

                    I guess around 7000pixels cubefaces is the max I can produce on my G5 with
                    CubicConverter

                    I have to say I hate zoomify
                    I remember the zoomify spherical panoramas. They died a quiet death.

                    I can not see the HDview in my Parallels Windows XP for some reason but I am
                    not
                    interested in it either. The whole idea with all these super resolution
                    images on the net in
                    zoomable versions are to me very uninteresting.

                    For gigantic prints -Yes but seeing it in computer No.

                  • greg downing
                    Message 9 of 25 , Oct 31, 2007
                      >Take a look at the famous cliff here at Xrez
                      >http://www.xrez.com/

                      Hans,

                      You will have to refer the group to the specific image in the gallery,
                      our images on our home page loads a different image at random from our
                      gallery each time the page is reloaded.

                      -Greg Downing
                      http://www.xrez.com/
                      http://www.gregdowning.com/
                    • Hans Nyberg
                      Message 10 of 25 , Oct 31, 2007
                        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "greg downing" <greg@...> wrote:

                        > >Take a look at the famous cliff here at Xrez
                        > >http://www.xrez.com/
                        >
                        > Hans,
                        >
                        > You will have to refer the group to the specific image in the gallery,
                        > our images on our home page loads a different image at random from our
                        > gallery each time the page is reloaded.

                        Sorry, never seen anything else but ElCapitan in different versions on the frontpage,
                        Might be by chance. I can see if I reload I can get a couple of others.

                        Hans
                      • Juergen Schrader
                        Message 11 of 25 , Oct 31, 2007
                          here we go:
                          http://www.schrader-air.de/panorama/lasvegas.kml

                          problem maybe the mime types in your browser and/or my server. i have
                          no idea how to fix this. i only was able to launch ge while using
                          firefox. ie and opera would open the kml as text file.

                          enjoy
                          juergen