Re: las vegas boulevard - hd view

  • Juergen Schrader
    Message 1 of 25 , Oct 31, 2007
      <Warning; 23 mb download>

      but that's exactly the point. and mind that this is just a small one.

      i agree that not every picture will benefit from just making it big.
      (same with the hdr hype). but there truely are scenes that deserve it
      or purposes that demand it. and i am pretty sure that in the near
      future there is an expanding market for this kind.

      cheers
      juergen

      > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Juergen Schrader" <panorama@>
      wrote:

      > > i agree and would be happy if one could direct me to an
      appropriate
      > > tool a non coder can use to show sphericals at least in the 1/2
      > > gigapixel range.
      >
      > Your 20.000 pixels should work fine in QTVR.
      > I have one online here http://www.panoramas.dk/big/fullscreen1.html
      > which as far as I remember is around 19.000 pixels and 5920 pixels
      cubefaces.
      > Made with 5x5 tiles it loads very fast the first parts.
      >
      > Warning; 23 mb download
      >
      > I guess around 7000pixels cubefaces is the max I can produce on my
      G5 with
      > CubicConverter
      >
      > I have to say I hate zoomify
      > I remember the zoomify spherical panoramas. They died a quiet
      death.

      > I can not see the HDview in my Parallels Windows XP for some
      reason but I am not
      > interested in it either. The whole idea with all these super
      resolution images on the net in
      > zoomable versions are to me very uninteresting.
      >
      > For gigantic prints -Yes but seeing it in computer No.
      >
      > Hans

    • Jook Leung
      Message 2 of 25 , Oct 31, 2007
        For flat panoramas there's a cool sharing site at http://gigapan.org

        Jook

        On Oct 31, 2007, at 5:22 PM, Hans Nyberg wrote:

        > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Juergen Schrader"
        > <panorama@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > i agree and would be happy if one could direct me to an appropriate
        > > tool a non coder can use to show sphericals at least in the 1/2
        > > gigapixel range.
        >
        > Your 20.000 pixels should work fine in QTVR.
        > I have one online here http://www.panoramas.dk/big/fullscreen1.html
        > which as far as I remember is around 19.000 pixels and 5920 pixels
        > cubefaces.
        > Made with 5x5 tiles it loads very fast the first parts.
        >
        > Warning; 23 mb download
        >
        > I guess around 7000pixels cubefaces is the max I can produce on my
        > G5 with
        > CubicConverter
        >
        > I have to say I hate zoomify
        > I remember the zoomify spherical panoramas. They died a quiet death.
        >
        > I can not see the HDview in my Parallels Windows XP for some reason
        > but I am not
        > interested in it either. The whole idea with all these super
        > resolution images on the net in
        > zoomable versions are to me very uninteresting.
        >
        > For gigantic prints -Yes but seeing it in computer No.
        >
        > Hans

        Jook Leung Photography
        360VR Images - 360 degree Panoramic photography
        Web: http://360vr.com
        E-mail: jook@...

      • Paul D. DeRocco
        Message 3 of 25 , Oct 31, 2007
          > From: Hans Nyberg
          >
          > Your 20.000 pixels should work fine in QTVR.
          > I have one online here http://www.panoramas.dk/big/fullscreen1.html
          > which as far as I remember is around 19.000 pixels and 5920
          > pixels cubefaces. Made with 5x5 tiles it loads very fast the
          > first parts.
          >
          > Warning; 23 mb download

          I think the point of this particular MS viewer is that it doesn't just
          download the whole image, it works more like Google Earth, downloading and
          caching the parts that the user actually views, at the resolution viewed at.
          Indeed, the presentation is fairly similar to the Gigapixl Photos on Google
          Earth, except that they're all flat, not 360s.

          > I can not see the HDview in my Parallels Windows XP for some
          > reason but I am not
          > interested in it either. The whole idea with all these super
          > resolution images on the net in
          > zoomable versions are to me very uninteresting.
          >
          > For gigantic prints -Yes but seeing it in computer No.

          Do you print other people's big panos? I never do--I just look at them
          online. For 360s, it's printing that seems pretty uninteresting to me, since
          they look pretty weird when printed flat.

          --

          Ciao, Paul D. DeRocco
          Paul mailto:pderocco@...
          Message 4 of 25 , Oct 31, 2007
            Hi Juergen,

            > i agree and would be happy if one could direct me to an appropriate
            > tool a non coder can use to show sphericals at least in the 1/2
            > gigapixel range.

            Google Earth can do this, too. It doesn't have some fancy features of
            HDView, but its nice to place panos on Google Earth. I have tested it with a
            40000x10000 cylindrical pano I shot from the Campanile in Berkeley, and it
            works fine. I have used a self written python script for the creation of the
            required tiles, but this should also work and is probably a little more
            comfortable:
            http://www.casa.ucl.ac.uk/software/photooverlaycreator.asp
            Not sure if that progam can convert gigapixel panos, though.

            This is actually nicer than most of the other viewers, since it will work in
            linux too ;-)

            ciao
            Pablo

            > best
            > juergen
            >
            > but we don't need another ms flame though ^^
            >

            > --- In #email-removed# Keith Martin <keith@...> wrote:
            >> Sometime around 31/10/07 (at 12:39 -0400) Mark D. Fink said:
            >>
            >>> Once it
            >>> is out of beta, it's anyone's guess if MS will make it compatible
            > with MACs.
            >>> I wouldn't hold my breath… :o)
            >> Quite. "Anyone's guess" is one way of putting it.
            >> "Snowball's chance in hell" is another. Remember,
            >> this is the company that is known for the
            >> 'exterminate' approach to all competition,
            >> wherever they can get away with it and sometimes
            >> where they can't.
            >>
            >> I appreciate the fact that this viewer offers
            >> something very interesting for certain projects.
            >> But please remember to support inclusive,
            >> cross-platform solutions wherever humanly
            >> possible.

          • Juergen Schrader
            Message 5 of 25 , Oct 31, 2007
              yep, i found this on the ivrpa journal today and soon will give it a
              try.

              cheers
              juergen

              pablo, you got my mail?

              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Pablo dAngelo
              <pablo.dangelo@...> wrote:

              > Hi Juergen,
              >
              > > i agree and would be happy if one could direct me to an
              appropriate
              > > tool a non coder can use to show sphericals at least in the 1/2
              > > gigapixel range.
              >
              > Google Earth can do this, too. It doesn't have some fancy features
              of
              > HDView, but its nice to place panos on Google Earth. I have tested
              it with a
              > 40000x10000 cylindrical pano I shot from the Campanile in
              Berkeley, and it
              > works fine. I have used a self written python script for the
              creation of the
              > required tiles, but this should also work and is probably a little
              more
              > comfortable:
              > http://www.casa.ucl.ac.uk/software/photooverlaycreator.asp
              > Not sure if that progam can convert gigapixel panos, though.
              >
              > This is actually nicer than most of the other viewers, since it
              will work in
              > linux too ;-)
              >
              > ciao
              > Pablo
              >

              > > best
              > > juergen
              > >
              > > but we don't need another ms flame though ^^
              > >

              > > --- In #email-removed# Keith Martin <keith@> wrote:

              > > with MACs.
              > >> Quite. "Anyone's guess" is one way of putting it.
              > >> "Snowball's chance in hell" is another. Remember,
              > >> this is the company that is known for the
              > >> 'exterminate' approach to all competition,
              > >> wherever they can get away with it and sometimes
              > >> where they can't.
              > >>
              > >> I appreciate the fact that this viewer offers
              > >> something very interesting for certain projects.
              > >> But please remember to support inclusive,
              > >> cross-platform solutions wherever humanly
              > >> possible.

            • Juergen Schrader
              Message 6 of 25 , Oct 31, 2007
                thank you jook,

                i visited their site the other day and really like their approach.
                but finally i felt i wouldn't want to leave the picture i shot for a
                customer at full resolution on an unknown server.

                cheers
                juergen

                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Jook Leung <jook360@...> wrote:

                > For flat panoramas there's a cool sharing site at http://gigapan.org
                >

                > Jook
                >

                > On Oct 31, 2007, at 5:22 PM, Hans Nyberg wrote:
                >
                > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Juergen Schrader"
                > > <panorama@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > i agree and would be happy if one could direct me to an
                appropriate
                > > > tool a non coder can use to show sphericals at least in the 1/2
                > > > gigapixel range.
                > >
                > > Your 20.000 pixels should work fine in QTVR.
                > > I have one online here http://www.panoramas.dk/big/
                fullscreen1.html
                > > which as far as I remember is around 19.000 pixels and 5920
                pixels
                > > cubefaces.
                > > Made with 5x5 tiles it loads very fast the first parts.
                > >
                > > Warning; 23 mb download
                > >
                > > I guess around 7000pixels cubefaces is the max I can produce on
                my
                > > G5 with
                > > CubicConverter
                > >
                > > I have to say I hate zoomify
                > > I remember the zoomify spherical panoramas. They died a quiet
                death.

                > > I can not see the HDview in my Parallels Windows XP for some
                reason
                > > but I am not
                > > interested in it either. The whole idea with all these super
                > > resolution images on the net in
                > > zoomable versions are to me very uninteresting.
                > >
                > > For gigantic prints -Yes but seeing it in computer No.
                > >
                > > Hans
                > >

                > Jook Leung Photography
                > 360VR Images - 360 degree Panoramic photography
                > Web: http://360vr.com
                > E-mail: jook@...

              • Hans Nyberg
                Message 7 of 25 , Oct 31, 2007
                  --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Juergen Schrader" <panorama@...> wrote:

                  > <Warning; 23 mb download>
                  >
                  > but that's exactly the point. and mind that this is just a small one.

                  Not at all.
                  The problem with the Zoomyfy type what ever it is called is that you have to download the
                  tiles again and again.
                  Image always has to update even if you have a 6 mbit connection like me.

                  The QTVR when you make it the right way pointing at the right interesting point updates
                  and stays as you start exploring.
                  Even with a standard ADSL you have a full view on the screen in less than 20 seconds and
                  when it is loaded you can explore what ever you like without the extremely irritating pixel
                  update.

                  Most of these gigapixel images has a real resolution which is much less than they claim.
                  Cut them to half and you can still see the same details.

                  My 5920 cubefaces can easy be reduced to 4500 and you will still have the same
                  experience.

                  And many of them has nothing to give you when zooming in.
                  Take a look at the famous cliff here at Xrez
                  http://www.xrez.com/

                  It is impressing.
                  But what the hack is impressing in zooming in on some stones.
                  50% zoom is enough to give me the felling of the cliffs.

                  The full image is what impresses me as a natural wonder.

                  Hans
                • Jeffrey Martin
                  Message 8 of 25 , Oct 31, 2007
                    We *can* convert gigapixel panos / sphericals, into the googlemap and
                    photoOverlay format simultaneously (with the additional option to put
                    hotspots in the google map version...)
                    One example (still under development - http://krumlov.360cities.net/?layer=1 )

                    We do not (yet) offer an uploading interface, but whoever is
                    interested, feel free to send a message to me off-list.

                    Jeffrey

                    > I have used a self written python script for the creation of the
                    > required tiles, but this should also work and is probably a little more
                    > comfortable:
                    > http://www.casa.ucl.ac.uk/software/photooverlaycreator.asp
                    > Not sure if that progam can convert gigapixel panos, though.

                    --
                    ------------------
                    www.360cities.net
                    Message 9 of 25 , Oct 31, 2007
                      Zoomify isn't bad on a fast connection. On slow connections, it's beyond
                      annoying. You are waiting 90% of the time for tile downloads.

                      There seems to be a coding problem with the hd view stuff.

                      It downloaded ALL interim tiles for before showing the tiles suitable for
                      the view. Not cool.

                      Ideally, tiles should be downloaded based on some the users connection speed
                      to prevent further waits, except for sphericals. :-)

                      Considering no one zooms for those anyway. Though tiles should be downloaded
                      at higher resolutions for different screen resolutions.

                      Sacha Griffin
                      www.southern-digital.com
                      www.seeit360.net
                      www.ezphotosafe.com
                      404-551-4275
                      404-731-7798

                      _____

                      <http://www.panoramas.dk/big/fullscreen1.html> s.dk/big/fullscreen1.html
                      which as far as I remember is around 19.000 pixels and 5920 pixels
                      cubefaces.
                      Made with 5x5 tiles it loads very fast the first parts.

                      Warning; 23 mb download

                      I guess around 7000pixels cubefaces is the max I can produce on my G5 with
                      CubicConverter

                      I have to say I hate zoomify
                      I remember the zoomify spherical panoramas. They died a quiet death.

                      I can not see the HDview in my Parallels Windows XP for some reason but I am
                      not
                      interested in it either. The whole idea with all these super resolution
                      images on the net in
                      zoomable versions are to me very uninteresting.

                      For gigantic prints -Yes but seeing it in computer No.

                    • greg downing
                      Message 10 of 25 , Oct 31, 2007
                        >Take a look at the famous cliff here at Xrez
                        >http://www.xrez.com/

                        Hans,

                        You will have to refer the group to the specific image in the gallery,
                        our images on our home page loads a different image at random from our
                        gallery each time the page is reloaded.

                        -Greg Downing
                        http://www.xrez.com/
                        http://www.gregdowning.com/
                      • Hans Nyberg
                        Message 11 of 25 , Oct 31, 2007
                          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "greg downing" <greg@...> wrote:

                          > >Take a look at the famous cliff here at Xrez
                          > >http://www.xrez.com/
                          >
                          > Hans,
                          >
                          > You will have to refer the group to the specific image in the gallery,
                          > our images on our home page loads a different image at random from our
                          > gallery each time the page is reloaded.

                          Sorry, never seen anything else but ElCapitan in different versions on the frontpage,
                          Might be by chance. I can see if I reload I can get a couple of others.

                          Hans
                        • Juergen Schrader
                          Message 12 of 25 , Oct 31, 2007
                            here we go:
                            http://www.schrader-air.de/panorama/lasvegas.kml

                            problem maybe the mime types in your browser and/or my server. i have
                            no idea how to fix this. i only was able to launch ge while using
                            firefox. ie and opera would open the kml as text file.

                            enjoy