Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

RE: [PanoToolsNG] las vegas boulevard - hd view

Expand Messages
  • Paul D. DeRocco
    ... I think it s more likely that MS _will_ come out with a Mac version, since it s doubtful that very many people would use the format if Mac users couldn t
    Message 1 of 25 , Oct 31, 2007
    • 0 Attachment
      > From: Keith Martin
      >
      > Quite. "Anyone's guess" is one way of putting it.
      > "Snowball's chance in hell" is another. Remember,
      > this is the company that is known for the
      > 'exterminate' approach to all competition,
      > wherever they can get away with it and sometimes
      > where they can't.

      I think it's more likely that MS _will_ come out with a Mac version, since
      it's doubtful that very many people would use the format if Mac users
      couldn't view it. (They did, after all, come out with IE for the Mac.) And I
      can't imagine that anyone at MS would be deluded enough to think that
      creating this minor viewer utility only for Windows would make anyone switch
      from a Mac to a Windows machine.

      Just my W.A.G., though.

      --

      Ciao, Paul D. DeRocco
      Paul mailto:pderocco@...
    • Juergen Schrader
      but that s exactly the point. and mind that this is just a small one. i agree that not every picture will benefit from just making it
      Message 2 of 25 , Oct 31, 2007
      • 0 Attachment
        <Warning; 23 mb download>

        but that's exactly the point. and mind that this is just a small one.

        i agree that not every picture will benefit from just making it big.
        (same with the hdr hype). but there truely are scenes that deserve it
        or purposes that demand it. and i am pretty sure that in the near
        future there is an expanding market for this kind.

        cheers
        juergen


        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Hans Nyberg" <hans@...> wrote:
        >
        > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Juergen Schrader" <panorama@>
        wrote:
        > >
        > > i agree and would be happy if one could direct me to an
        appropriate
        > > tool a non coder can use to show sphericals at least in the 1/2
        > > gigapixel range.
        >
        > Your 20.000 pixels should work fine in QTVR.
        > I have one online here http://www.panoramas.dk/big/fullscreen1.html
        > which as far as I remember is around 19.000 pixels and 5920 pixels
        cubefaces.
        > Made with 5x5 tiles it loads very fast the first parts.
        >
        > Warning; 23 mb download
        >
        > I guess around 7000pixels cubefaces is the max I can produce on my
        G5 with
        > CubicConverter
        >
        > I have to say I hate zoomify
        > I remember the zoomify spherical panoramas. They died a quiet
        death.
        >
        > I can not see the HDview in my Parallels Windows XP for some
        reason but I am not
        > interested in it either. The whole idea with all these super
        resolution images on the net in
        > zoomable versions are to me very uninteresting.
        >
        > For gigantic prints -Yes but seeing it in computer No.
        >
        > Hans
        >
      • Jook Leung
        For flat panoramas there s a cool sharing site at http://gigapan.org Jook ... Jook Leung Photography 360VR Images - 360 degree Panoramic photography Web:
        Message 3 of 25 , Oct 31, 2007
        • 0 Attachment
          For flat panoramas there's a cool sharing site at http://gigapan.org


          Jook



          On Oct 31, 2007, at 5:22 PM, Hans Nyberg wrote:

          > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Juergen Schrader"
          > <panorama@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > i agree and would be happy if one could direct me to an appropriate
          > > tool a non coder can use to show sphericals at least in the 1/2
          > > gigapixel range.
          >
          > Your 20.000 pixels should work fine in QTVR.
          > I have one online here http://www.panoramas.dk/big/fullscreen1.html
          > which as far as I remember is around 19.000 pixels and 5920 pixels
          > cubefaces.
          > Made with 5x5 tiles it loads very fast the first parts.
          >
          > Warning; 23 mb download
          >
          > I guess around 7000pixels cubefaces is the max I can produce on my
          > G5 with
          > CubicConverter
          >
          > I have to say I hate zoomify
          > I remember the zoomify spherical panoramas. They died a quiet death.
          >
          > I can not see the HDview in my Parallels Windows XP for some reason
          > but I am not
          > interested in it either. The whole idea with all these super
          > resolution images on the net in
          > zoomable versions are to me very uninteresting.
          >
          > For gigantic prints -Yes but seeing it in computer No.
          >
          > Hans
          >
          >
          >

          Jook Leung Photography
          360VR Images - 360 degree Panoramic photography
          Web: http://360vr.com
          E-mail: jook@...






          [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
        • Paul D. DeRocco
          ... I think the point of this particular MS viewer is that it doesn t just download the whole image, it works more like Google Earth, downloading and caching
          Message 4 of 25 , Oct 31, 2007
          • 0 Attachment
            > From: Hans Nyberg
            >
            > Your 20.000 pixels should work fine in QTVR.
            > I have one online here http://www.panoramas.dk/big/fullscreen1.html
            > which as far as I remember is around 19.000 pixels and 5920
            > pixels cubefaces. Made with 5x5 tiles it loads very fast the
            > first parts.
            >
            > Warning; 23 mb download

            I think the point of this particular MS viewer is that it doesn't just
            download the whole image, it works more like Google Earth, downloading and
            caching the parts that the user actually views, at the resolution viewed at.
            Indeed, the presentation is fairly similar to the Gigapixl Photos on Google
            Earth, except that they're all flat, not 360s.

            > I can not see the HDview in my Parallels Windows XP for some
            > reason but I am not
            > interested in it either. The whole idea with all these super
            > resolution images on the net in
            > zoomable versions are to me very uninteresting.
            >
            > For gigantic prints -Yes but seeing it in computer No.

            Do you print other people's big panos? I never do--I just look at them
            online. For 360s, it's printing that seems pretty uninteresting to me, since
            they look pretty weird when printed flat.

            --

            Ciao, Paul D. DeRocco
            Paul mailto:pderocco@...
          • Pablo dAngelo
            Hi Juergen, ... Google Earth can do this, too. It doesn t have some fancy features of HDView, but its nice to place panos on Google Earth. I have tested it
            Message 5 of 25 , Oct 31, 2007
            • 0 Attachment
              Hi Juergen,

              > i agree and would be happy if one could direct me to an appropriate
              > tool a non coder can use to show sphericals at least in the 1/2
              > gigapixel range.

              Google Earth can do this, too. It doesn't have some fancy features of
              HDView, but its nice to place panos on Google Earth. I have tested it with a
              40000x10000 cylindrical pano I shot from the Campanile in Berkeley, and it
              works fine. I have used a self written python script for the creation of the
              required tiles, but this should also work and is probably a little more
              comfortable:
              http://www.casa.ucl.ac.uk/software/photooverlaycreator.asp
              Not sure if that progam can convert gigapixel panos, though.

              This is actually nicer than most of the other viewers, since it will work in
              linux too ;-)

              ciao
              Pablo

              >
              > best
              > juergen
              >
              > but we don't need another ms flame though ^^
              >
              >
              >
              > --- In #email-removed# Keith Martin <keith@...> wrote:
              >> Sometime around 31/10/07 (at 12:39 -0400) Mark D. Fink said:
              >>
              >>> Once it
              >>> is out of beta, it's anyone's guess if MS will make it compatible
              > with MACs.
              >>> I wouldn't hold my breath… :o)
              >> Quite. "Anyone's guess" is one way of putting it.
              >> "Snowball's chance in hell" is another. Remember,
              >> this is the company that is known for the
              >> 'exterminate' approach to all competition,
              >> wherever they can get away with it and sometimes
              >> where they can't.
              >>
              >> I appreciate the fact that this viewer offers
              >> something very interesting for certain projects.
              >> But please remember to support inclusive,
              >> cross-platform solutions wherever humanly
              >> possible.
              >>
              >> k
              >>
              >
              >
              >
              >
            • Juergen Schrader
              yep, i found this on the ivrpa journal today and soon will give it a try. cheers juergen pablo, you got my mail? ... appropriate ... of ... it with a ...
              Message 6 of 25 , Oct 31, 2007
              • 0 Attachment
                yep, i found this on the ivrpa journal today and soon will give it a
                try.

                cheers
                juergen

                pablo, you got my mail?


                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Pablo dAngelo
                <pablo.dangelo@...> wrote:
                >
                > Hi Juergen,
                >
                > > i agree and would be happy if one could direct me to an
                appropriate
                > > tool a non coder can use to show sphericals at least in the 1/2
                > > gigapixel range.
                >
                > Google Earth can do this, too. It doesn't have some fancy features
                of
                > HDView, but its nice to place panos on Google Earth. I have tested
                it with a
                > 40000x10000 cylindrical pano I shot from the Campanile in
                Berkeley, and it
                > works fine. I have used a self written python script for the
                creation of the
                > required tiles, but this should also work and is probably a little
                more
                > comfortable:
                > http://www.casa.ucl.ac.uk/software/photooverlaycreator.asp
                > Not sure if that progam can convert gigapixel panos, though.
                >
                > This is actually nicer than most of the other viewers, since it
                will work in
                > linux too ;-)
                >
                > ciao
                > Pablo
                >
                > >
                > > best
                > > juergen
                > >
                > > but we don't need another ms flame though ^^
                > >
                > >
                > >
                > > --- In #email-removed# Keith Martin <keith@> wrote:
                > >> Sometime around 31/10/07 (at 12:39 -0400) Mark D. Fink said:
                > >>
                > >>> Once it
                > >>> is out of beta, it's anyone's guess if MS will make it
                compatible
                > > with MACs.
                > >>> I wouldn't hold my breathÂ… :o)
                > >> Quite. "Anyone's guess" is one way of putting it.
                > >> "Snowball's chance in hell" is another. Remember,
                > >> this is the company that is known for the
                > >> 'exterminate' approach to all competition,
                > >> wherever they can get away with it and sometimes
                > >> where they can't.
                > >>
                > >> I appreciate the fact that this viewer offers
                > >> something very interesting for certain projects.
                > >> But please remember to support inclusive,
                > >> cross-platform solutions wherever humanly
                > >> possible.
                > >>
                > >> k
                > >>
                > >
                > >
                > >
                > >
                >
              • Juergen Schrader
                thank you jook, i visited their site the other day and really like their approach. but finally i felt i wouldn t want to leave the picture i shot for a
                Message 7 of 25 , Oct 31, 2007
                • 0 Attachment
                  thank you jook,

                  i visited their site the other day and really like their approach.
                  but finally i felt i wouldn't want to leave the picture i shot for a
                  customer at full resolution on an unknown server.

                  cheers
                  juergen

                  --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Jook Leung <jook360@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > For flat panoramas there's a cool sharing site at http://gigapan.org
                  >
                  >
                  > Jook
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  > On Oct 31, 2007, at 5:22 PM, Hans Nyberg wrote:
                  >
                  > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Juergen Schrader"
                  > > <panorama@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > i agree and would be happy if one could direct me to an
                  appropriate
                  > > > tool a non coder can use to show sphericals at least in the 1/2
                  > > > gigapixel range.
                  > >
                  > > Your 20.000 pixels should work fine in QTVR.
                  > > I have one online here http://www.panoramas.dk/big/
                  fullscreen1.html
                  > > which as far as I remember is around 19.000 pixels and 5920
                  pixels
                  > > cubefaces.
                  > > Made with 5x5 tiles it loads very fast the first parts.
                  > >
                  > > Warning; 23 mb download
                  > >
                  > > I guess around 7000pixels cubefaces is the max I can produce on
                  my
                  > > G5 with
                  > > CubicConverter
                  > >
                  > > I have to say I hate zoomify
                  > > I remember the zoomify spherical panoramas. They died a quiet
                  death.
                  > >
                  > > I can not see the HDview in my Parallels Windows XP for some
                  reason
                  > > but I am not
                  > > interested in it either. The whole idea with all these super
                  > > resolution images on the net in
                  > > zoomable versions are to me very uninteresting.
                  > >
                  > > For gigantic prints -Yes but seeing it in computer No.
                  > >
                  > > Hans
                  > >
                  > >
                  > >
                  >
                  > Jook Leung Photography
                  > 360VR Images - 360 degree Panoramic photography
                  > Web: http://360vr.com
                  > E-mail: jook@...
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                  >
                • Hans Nyberg
                  ... Not at all. The problem with the Zoomyfy type what ever it is called is that you have to download the tiles again and again. Image always has to update
                  Message 8 of 25 , Oct 31, 2007
                  • 0 Attachment
                    --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Juergen Schrader" <panorama@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > <Warning; 23 mb download>
                    >
                    > but that's exactly the point. and mind that this is just a small one.

                    Not at all.
                    The problem with the Zoomyfy type what ever it is called is that you have to download the
                    tiles again and again.
                    Image always has to update even if you have a 6 mbit connection like me.

                    The QTVR when you make it the right way pointing at the right interesting point updates
                    and stays as you start exploring.
                    Even with a standard ADSL you have a full view on the screen in less than 20 seconds and
                    when it is loaded you can explore what ever you like without the extremely irritating pixel
                    update.

                    Most of these gigapixel images has a real resolution which is much less than they claim.
                    Cut them to half and you can still see the same details.

                    My 5920 cubefaces can easy be reduced to 4500 and you will still have the same
                    experience.

                    And many of them has nothing to give you when zooming in.
                    Take a look at the famous cliff here at Xrez
                    http://www.xrez.com/

                    It is impressing.
                    But what the hack is impressing in zooming in on some stones.
                    50% zoom is enough to give me the felling of the cliffs.

                    The full image is what impresses me as a natural wonder.

                    Hans
                  • Jeffrey Martin
                    We *can* convert gigapixel panos / sphericals, into the googlemap and photoOverlay format simultaneously (with the additional option to put hotspots in the
                    Message 9 of 25 , Oct 31, 2007
                    • 0 Attachment
                      We *can* convert gigapixel panos / sphericals, into the googlemap and
                      photoOverlay format simultaneously (with the additional option to put
                      hotspots in the google map version...)
                      One example (still under development - http://krumlov.360cities.net/?layer=1 )

                      We do not (yet) offer an uploading interface, but whoever is
                      interested, feel free to send a message to me off-list.

                      Jeffrey


                      >
                      > I have used a self written python script for the creation of the
                      > required tiles, but this should also work and is probably a little more
                      > comfortable:
                      > http://www.casa.ucl.ac.uk/software/photooverlaycreator.asp
                      > Not sure if that progam can convert gigapixel panos, though.
                      >






                      --
                      ------------------
                      www.360cities.net
                      www.prague360.com
                      www.vrlog.net
                      tel. +420 608 076 502
                      skype jeffrey.s.martin
                    • Sacha Griffin
                      Zoomify isn t bad on a fast connection. On slow connections, it s beyond annoying. You are waiting 90% of the time for tile downloads. There seems to be a
                      Message 10 of 25 , Oct 31, 2007
                      • 0 Attachment
                        Zoomify isn't bad on a fast connection. On slow connections, it's beyond
                        annoying. You are waiting 90% of the time for tile downloads.



                        There seems to be a coding problem with the hd view stuff.

                        It downloaded ALL interim tiles for before showing the tiles suitable for
                        the view. Not cool.

                        Ideally, tiles should be downloaded based on some the users connection speed
                        to prevent further waits, except for sphericals. :-)

                        Considering no one zooms for those anyway. Though tiles should be downloaded
                        at higher resolutions for different screen resolutions.



                        Sacha Griffin
                        Southern Digital Solutions LLC - Atlanta, Georgia
                        www.southern-digital.com
                        www.seeit360.net
                        www.ezphotosafe.com
                        404-551-4275
                        404-731-7798

                        _____

                        From: PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com [mailto:PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com] On
                        Behalf Of Hans Nyberg
                        Sent: Wednesday, October 31, 2007 4:22 PM
                        To: PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com
                        Subject: [PanoToolsNG] Re: las vegas boulevard - hd view



                        --- In PanoToolsNG@ <mailto:PanoToolsNG%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com,
                        "Juergen Schrader" <panorama@...> wrote:
                        >
                        > i agree and would be happy if one could direct me to an appropriate
                        > tool a non coder can use to show sphericals at least in the 1/2
                        > gigapixel range.

                        Your 20.000 pixels should work fine in QTVR.
                        I have one online here http://www.panorama
                        <http://www.panoramas.dk/big/fullscreen1.html> s.dk/big/fullscreen1.html
                        which as far as I remember is around 19.000 pixels and 5920 pixels
                        cubefaces.
                        Made with 5x5 tiles it loads very fast the first parts.

                        Warning; 23 mb download

                        I guess around 7000pixels cubefaces is the max I can produce on my G5 with
                        CubicConverter

                        I have to say I hate zoomify
                        I remember the zoomify spherical panoramas. They died a quiet death.

                        I can not see the HDview in my Parallels Windows XP for some reason but I am
                        not
                        interested in it either. The whole idea with all these super resolution
                        images on the net in
                        zoomable versions are to me very uninteresting.

                        For gigantic prints -Yes but seeing it in computer No.

                        Hans





                        [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                      • greg downing
                        ... Hans, You will have to refer the group to the specific image in the gallery, our images on our home page loads a different image at random from our gallery
                        Message 11 of 25 , Oct 31, 2007
                        • 0 Attachment
                          >Take a look at the famous cliff here at Xrez
                          >http://www.xrez.com/

                          Hans,

                          You will have to refer the group to the specific image in the gallery,
                          our images on our home page loads a different image at random from our
                          gallery each time the page is reloaded.

                          -Greg Downing
                          http://www.xrez.com/
                          http://www.gregdowning.com/
                        • Hans Nyberg
                          ... Sorry, never seen anything else but ElCapitan in different versions on the frontpage, Might be by chance. I can see if I reload I can get a couple of
                          Message 12 of 25 , Oct 31, 2007
                          • 0 Attachment
                            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "greg downing" <greg@...> wrote:
                            >
                            > >Take a look at the famous cliff here at Xrez
                            > >http://www.xrez.com/
                            >
                            > Hans,
                            >
                            > You will have to refer the group to the specific image in the gallery,
                            > our images on our home page loads a different image at random from our
                            > gallery each time the page is reloaded.

                            Sorry, never seen anything else but ElCapitan in different versions on the frontpage,
                            Might be by chance. I can see if I reload I can get a couple of others.

                            Hans
                          • Juergen Schrader
                            here we go: http://www.schrader-air.de/panorama/lasvegas.kml problem maybe the mime types in your browser and/or my server. i have no idea how to fix this. i
                            Message 13 of 25 , Oct 31, 2007
                            • 0 Attachment
                              here we go:
                              http://www.schrader-air.de/panorama/lasvegas.kml

                              problem maybe the mime types in your browser and/or my server. i have
                              no idea how to fix this. i only was able to launch ge while using
                              firefox. ie and opera would open the kml as text file.

                              enjoy
                              juergen

                              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Juergen
                              Schrader" <panorama@...> wrote:
                              >
                              > yep, i found this on the ivrpa journal today and soon will give it
                              a
                              > try.
                              >
                              > cheers
                              > juergen
                              >
                              > pablo, you got my mail?
                              >
                              >
                              > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Pablo dAngelo
                              > <pablo.dangelo@> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Hi Juergen,
                              > >
                              > > > i agree and would be happy if one could direct me to an
                              > appropriate
                              > > > tool a non coder can use to show sphericals at least in the 1/
                              2
                              > > > gigapixel range.
                              > >
                              > > Google Earth can do this, too. It doesn't have some fancy
                              features
                              > of
                              > > HDView, but its nice to place panos on Google Earth. I have
                              tested
                              > it with a
                              > > 40000x10000 cylindrical pano I shot from the Campanile in
                              > Berkeley, and it
                              > > works fine. I have used a self written python script for the
                              > creation of the
                              > > required tiles, but this should also work and is probably a
                              little
                              > more
                              > > comfortable:
                              > > http://www.casa.ucl.ac.uk/software/photooverlaycreator.asp
                              > > Not sure if that progam can convert gigapixel panos, though.
                              > >
                              > > This is actually nicer than most of the other viewers, since it
                              > will work in
                              > > linux too ;-)
                              > >
                              > > ciao
                              > > Pablo
                              > >
                              > > >
                              > > > best
                              > > > juergen
                              > > >
                              > > > but we don't need another ms flame though ^^
                              > > >
                              > > >
                              > > >
                              > > > --- In #email-removed# Keith Martin <keith@> wrote:
                              > > >> Sometime around 31/10/07 (at 12:39 -0400) Mark D. Fink said:
                              > > >>
                              > > >>> Once it
                              > > >>> is out of beta, it's anyone's guess if MS will make it
                              > compatible
                              > > > with MACs.
                              > > >>> I wouldn't hold my breathÂ… :o)
                              > > >> Quite. "Anyone's guess" is one way of putting it.
                              > > >> "Snowball's chance in hell" is another. Remember,
                              > > >> this is the company that is known for the
                              > > >> 'exterminate' approach to all competition,
                              > > >> wherever they can get away with it and sometimes
                              > > >> where they can't.
                              > > >>
                              > > >> I appreciate the fact that this viewer offers
                              > > >> something very interesting for certain projects.
                              > > >> But please remember to support inclusive,
                              > > >> cross-platform solutions wherever humanly
                              > > >> possible.
                              > > >>
                              > > >> k
                              > > >>
                              > > >
                              > > >
                              > > >
                              > > >
                              > >
                              >
                            Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.