Re: las vegas boulevard - hd view

  • Juergen Schrader
    Message 1 of 25 , Oct 31, 2007
      chris,

      this specific file is "just" 40 mb. mind there's lots of black and
      due to the night scene i set quality to 60%. i have a usual daylight
      scene with higher quality settings which ended up with 70 mb.
      sure, i have to try different settings though.
      but also sure, i do not want hi res panoramas to see jpg artefacts
      *g*.

      best
      juergen

      Message 2 of 25 , Oct 31, 2007
        > From: Juergen Schrader
        >
        > this time i want to share my first attempt on displaying some larger
        > kind of spherical panoramas on the net (this specific one is 20480 x
        > 10240). i started evaluating hd-view from microsoft and chose a
        > picture i recently took for a customer on las vegas boulevard.
        >
        > there is no hdr stuff involved, just manual blending on some
        > highlights. i still have to figure out how to get the right settings
        > for the initial view.
        >
        > anyway. on customers demand the picture was taken purposely around 3
        > a.m. to avoid the people. (i also have one with the crowd and
        > fountains, but this one has to wait).

        Nicely done. It's interesting that the viewer seems to use rectangular
        projection at higher zoom levels, and spherical when zoomed out, with a
        smooth transition between them.

        --

        Ciao, Paul D. DeRocco
        Paul mailto:pderocco@...
        Message 3 of 25 , Oct 31, 2007
          Sometime around 31/10/07 (at 13:38 +0000) Juergen Schrader said:

          >anyway. on customers demand the picture was taken purposely around 3
          >a.m. to avoid the people. (i also have one with the crowd and
          >fountains, but this one has to wait).

          Photoshop CS3 could be used to produce a composite image from
          multiple shots that eliminates people, if you have enough shots of
          the same place to be able to mask out the differences from each one.

          >www.schrader-air.de/panorama/lasvegas
          >(ie or firefox, no opera, sorry for the inconvenience).

          Or Safari, or Macs in general? :-(

        • Keith Martin
          Message 4 of 25 , Oct 31, 2007
            Sometime around 31/10/07 (at 12:39 -0400) Mark D. Fink said:

            >Once it
            >is out of beta, it’s anyone’s guess if MS will make it compatible with MACs.
            >I wouldn’t hold my breath… :o)

            Quite. "Anyone's guess" is one way of putting it.
            "Snowball's chance in hell" is another. Remember,
            this is the company that is known for the
            'exterminate' approach to all competition,
            wherever they can get away with it and sometimes
            where they can't.

            I appreciate the fact that this viewer offers
            something very interesting for certain projects.
            But please remember to support inclusive,
            cross-platform solutions wherever humanly
            possible.

          • Juergen Schrader
            Message 5 of 25 , Oct 31, 2007
              i agree and would be happy if one could direct me to an appropriate
              tool a non coder can use to show sphericals at least in the 1/2
              gigapixel range.

              best
              juergen

              but we don't need another ms flame though ^^

              > Sometime around 31/10/07 (at 12:39 -0400) Mark D. Fink said:
              >
              > >Once it
              > >is out of beta, it's anyone's guess if MS will make it compatible
              with MACs.
              > >I wouldn't hold my breath… :o)
              >
              > Quite. "Anyone's guess" is one way of putting it.
              > "Snowball's chance in hell" is another. Remember,
              > this is the company that is known for the
              > 'exterminate' approach to all competition,
              > wherever they can get away with it and sometimes
              > where they can't.
              >
              > I appreciate the fact that this viewer offers
              > something very interesting for certain projects.
              > But please remember to support inclusive,
              > cross-platform solutions wherever humanly
              > possible.

            • Hans Nyberg
              Message 6 of 25 , Oct 31, 2007
                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Juergen Schrader" <panorama@...> wrote:

                > i agree and would be happy if one could direct me to an appropriate
                > tool a non coder can use to show sphericals at least in the 1/2
                > gigapixel range.

                Your 20.000 pixels should work fine in QTVR.
                I have one online here http://www.panoramas.dk/big/fullscreen1.html
                which as far as I remember is around 19.000 pixels and 5920 pixels cubefaces.
                Made with 5x5 tiles it loads very fast the first parts.

                Warning; 23 mb download

                I guess around 7000pixels cubefaces is the max I can produce on my G5 with
                CubicConverter

                I have to say I hate zoomify
                I remember the zoomify spherical panoramas. They died a quiet death.

                I can not see the HDview in my Parallels Windows XP for some reason but I am not
                interested in it either. The whole idea with all these super resolution images on the net in
                zoomable versions are to me very uninteresting.

                For gigantic prints -Yes but seeing it in computer No.

                Hans
              • Juergen Schrader
                Message 7 of 25 , Oct 31, 2007
                  yeah sure, i know about this. but, honestly, i can't imagine i would
                  want to shoot that much pictures on las vegas boulevard at nine in
                  the night. personally i'd rather prefer the people and fountains
                  anyway. we'll see. ;)

                  > Sometime around 31/10/07 (at 13:38 +0000) Juergen Schrader said:
                  >
                  > >anyway. on customers demand the picture was taken purposely
                  around 3
                  > >a.m. to avoid the people. (i also have one with the crowd and
                  > >fountains, but this one has to wait).
                  >
                  > Photoshop CS3 could be used to produce a composite image from
                  > multiple shots that eliminates people, if you have enough shots of
                  > the same place to be able to mask out the differences from each
                  one.

                  > >www.schrader-air.de/panorama/lasvegas
                  > >(ie or firefox, no opera, sorry for the inconvenience).
                  >
                  > Or Safari, or Macs in general? :-(

                • Paul D. DeRocco
                  Message 8 of 25 , Oct 31, 2007
                    > From: Keith Martin
                    >
                    > Quite. "Anyone's guess" is one way of putting it.
                    > "Snowball's chance in hell" is another. Remember,
                    > this is the company that is known for the
                    > 'exterminate' approach to all competition,
                    > wherever they can get away with it and sometimes
                    > where they can't.

                    I think it's more likely that MS _will_ come out with a Mac version, since
                    it's doubtful that very many people would use the format if Mac users
                    couldn't view it. (They did, after all, come out with IE for the Mac.) And I
                    can't imagine that anyone at MS would be deluded enough to think that
                    creating this minor viewer utility only for Windows would make anyone switch
                    from a Mac to a Windows machine.

                    Just my W.A.G., though.

                    --

                    Ciao, Paul D. DeRocco
                    Paul mailto:pderocco@...
                    Message 9 of 25 , Oct 31, 2007
                      <Warning; 23 mb download>

                      but that's exactly the point. and mind that this is just a small one.

                      i agree that not every picture will benefit from just making it big.
                      (same with the hdr hype). but there truely are scenes that deserve it
                      or purposes that demand it. and i am pretty sure that in the near
                      future there is an expanding market for this kind.

                      cheers
                      juergen

                      > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Juergen Schrader" <panorama@>
                      wrote:

                      > > i agree and would be happy if one could direct me to an
                      appropriate
                      > > tool a non coder can use to show sphericals at least in the 1/2
                      > > gigapixel range.
                      >
                      > Your 20.000 pixels should work fine in QTVR.
                      > I have one online here http://www.panoramas.dk/big/fullscreen1.html
                      > which as far as I remember is around 19.000 pixels and 5920 pixels
                      cubefaces.
                      > Made with 5x5 tiles it loads very fast the first parts.
                      >
                      > Warning; 23 mb download
                      >
                      > I guess around 7000pixels cubefaces is the max I can produce on my
                      G5 with
                      > CubicConverter
                      >
                      > I have to say I hate zoomify
                      > I remember the zoomify spherical panoramas. They died a quiet
                      death.

                      > I can not see the HDview in my Parallels Windows XP for some
                      reason but I am not
                      > interested in it either. The whole idea with all these super
                      resolution images on the net in
                      > zoomable versions are to me very uninteresting.
                      >
                      > For gigantic prints -Yes but seeing it in computer No.
                      >
                      > Hans

                    • Jook Leung
                      Message 10 of 25 , Oct 31, 2007
                        For flat panoramas there's a cool sharing site at http://gigapan.org

                        Jook

                        On Oct 31, 2007, at 5:22 PM, Hans Nyberg wrote:

                        > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Juergen Schrader"
                        > <panorama@...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > i agree and would be happy if one could direct me to an appropriate
                        > > tool a non coder can use to show sphericals at least in the 1/2
                        > > gigapixel range.
                        >
                        > Your 20.000 pixels should work fine in QTVR.
                        > I have one online here http://www.panoramas.dk/big/fullscreen1.html
                        > which as far as I remember is around 19.000 pixels and 5920 pixels
                        > cubefaces.
                        > Made with 5x5 tiles it loads very fast the first parts.
                        >
                        > Warning; 23 mb download
                        >
                        > I guess around 7000pixels cubefaces is the max I can produce on my
                        > G5 with
                        > CubicConverter
                        >
                        > I have to say I hate zoomify
                        > I remember the zoomify spherical panoramas. They died a quiet death.
                        >
                        > I can not see the HDview in my Parallels Windows XP for some reason
                        > but I am not
                        > interested in it either. The whole idea with all these super
                        > resolution images on the net in
                        > zoomable versions are to me very uninteresting.
                        >
                        > For gigantic prints -Yes but seeing it in computer No.
                        >
                        > Hans

                        Jook Leung Photography
                        360VR Images - 360 degree Panoramic photography
                        Web: http://360vr.com
                        E-mail: jook@...

                      • Paul D. DeRocco
                        Message 11 of 25 , Oct 31, 2007
                          > From: Hans Nyberg
                          >
                          > Your 20.000 pixels should work fine in QTVR.
                          > I have one online here http://www.panoramas.dk/big/fullscreen1.html
                          > which as far as I remember is around 19.000 pixels and 5920
                          > pixels cubefaces. Made with 5x5 tiles it loads very fast the
                          > first parts.
                          >
                          > Warning; 23 mb download

                          I think the point of this particular MS viewer is that it doesn't just
                          download the whole image, it works more like Google Earth, downloading and
                          caching the parts that the user actually views, at the resolution viewed at.
                          Indeed, the presentation is fairly similar to the Gigapixl Photos on Google
                          Earth, except that they're all flat, not 360s.

                          > I can not see the HDview in my Parallels Windows XP for some
                          > reason but I am not
                          > interested in it either. The whole idea with all these super
                          > resolution images on the net in
                          > zoomable versions are to me very uninteresting.
                          >
                          > For gigantic prints -Yes but seeing it in computer No.

                          Do you print other people's big panos? I never do--I just look at them
                          online. For 360s, it's printing that seems pretty uninteresting to me, since
                          they look pretty weird when printed flat.

                          --

                          Ciao, Paul D. DeRocco
                          Paul mailto:pderocco@...
                          Message 12 of 25 , Oct 31, 2007
                            Hi Juergen,

                            > i agree and would be happy if one could direct me to an appropriate
                            > tool a non coder can use to show sphericals at least in the 1/2
                            > gigapixel range.

                            Google Earth can do this, too. It doesn't have some fancy features of
                            HDView, but its nice to place panos on Google Earth. I have tested it with a
                            40000x10000 cylindrical pano I shot from the Campanile in Berkeley, and it
                            works fine. I have used a self written python script for the creation of the
                            required tiles, but this should also work and is probably a little more
                            comfortable:
                            http://www.casa.ucl.ac.uk/software/photooverlaycreator.asp
                            Not sure if that progam can convert gigapixel panos, though.

                            This is actually nicer than most of the other viewers, since it will work in
                            linux too ;-)

                            ciao
                            Pablo

                            > best
                            > juergen
                            >
                            > but we don't need another ms flame though ^^
                            >

                            > --- In #email-removed# Keith Martin <keith@...> wrote:
                            >> Sometime around 31/10/07 (at 12:39 -0400) Mark D. Fink said:
                            >>
                            >>> Once it
                            >>> is out of beta, it's anyone's guess if MS will make it compatible
                            > with MACs.
                            >>> I wouldn't hold my breath… :o)
                            >> Quite. "Anyone's guess" is one way of putting it.
                            >> "Snowball's chance in hell" is another. Remember,
                            >> this is the company that is known for the
                            >> 'exterminate' approach to all competition,
                            >> wherever they can get away with it and sometimes
                            >> where they can't.
                            >>
                            >> I appreciate the fact that this viewer offers
                            >> something very interesting for certain projects.
                            >> But please remember to support inclusive,
                            >> cross-platform solutions wherever humanly
                            >> possible.

                          • Juergen Schrader
                            Message 13 of 25 , Oct 31, 2007
                              yep, i found this on the ivrpa journal today and soon will give it a
                              try.

                              cheers
                              juergen

                              pablo, you got my mail?

                              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Pablo dAngelo
                              <pablo.dangelo@...> wrote:

                              > Hi Juergen,
                              >
                              > > i agree and would be happy if one could direct me to an
                              appropriate
                              > > tool a non coder can use to show sphericals at least in the 1/2
                              > > gigapixel range.
                              >
                              > Google Earth can do this, too. It doesn't have some fancy features
                              of
                              > HDView, but its nice to place panos on Google Earth. I have tested
                              it with a
                              > 40000x10000 cylindrical pano I shot from the Campanile in
                              Berkeley, and it
                              > works fine. I have used a self written python script for the
                              creation of the
                              > required tiles, but this should also work and is probably a little
                              more
                              > comfortable:
                              > http://www.casa.ucl.ac.uk/software/photooverlaycreator.asp
                              > Not sure if that progam can convert gigapixel panos, though.
                              >
                              > This is actually nicer than most of the other viewers, since it
                              will work in
                              > linux too ;-)
                              >
                              > ciao
                              > Pablo
                              >

                              > > best
                              > > juergen
                              > >
                              > > but we don't need another ms flame though ^^
                              > >

                              > > --- In #email-removed# Keith Martin <keith@> wrote:

                              > > with MACs.
                              > >> Quite. "Anyone's guess" is one way of putting it.
                              > >> "Snowball's chance in hell" is another. Remember,
                              > >> this is the company that is known for the
                              > >> 'exterminate' approach to all competition,
                              > >> wherever they can get away with it and sometimes
                              > >> where they can't.
                              > >>
                              > >> I appreciate the fact that this viewer offers
                              > >> something very interesting for certain projects.
                              > >> But please remember to support inclusive,
                              > >> cross-platform solutions wherever humanly
                              > >> possible.

                            • Juergen Schrader
                              Message 14 of 25 , Oct 31, 2007
                                thank you jook,

                                i visited their site the other day and really like their approach.
                                but finally i felt i wouldn't want to leave the picture i shot for a
                                customer at full resolution on an unknown server.

                                cheers
                                juergen

                                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Jook Leung <jook360@...> wrote:

                                > For flat panoramas there's a cool sharing site at http://gigapan.org
                                >

                                > Jook
                                >

                                > On Oct 31, 2007, at 5:22 PM, Hans Nyberg wrote:
                                >
                                > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Juergen Schrader"
                                > > <panorama@> wrote:
                                > > >
                                > > > i agree and would be happy if one could direct me to an
                                appropriate
                                > > > tool a non coder can use to show sphericals at least in the 1/2
                                > > > gigapixel range.
                                > >
                                > > Your 20.000 pixels should work fine in QTVR.
                                > > I have one online here http://www.panoramas.dk/big/
                                fullscreen1.html
                                > > which as far as I remember is around 19.000 pixels and 5920
                                pixels
                                > > cubefaces.
                                > > Made with 5x5 tiles it loads very fast the first parts.
                                > >
                                > > Warning; 23 mb download
                                > >
                                > > I guess around 7000pixels cubefaces is the max I can produce on
                                my
                                > > G5 with
                                > > CubicConverter
                                > >
                                > > I have to say I hate zoomify
                                > > I remember the zoomify spherical panoramas. They died a quiet
                                death.

                                > > I can not see the HDview in my Parallels Windows XP for some
                                reason
                                > > but I am not
                                > > interested in it either. The whole idea with all these super
                                > > resolution images on the net in
                                > > zoomable versions are to me very uninteresting.
                                > >
                                > > For gigantic prints -Yes but seeing it in computer No.
                                > >
                                > > Hans
                                > >

                                > Jook Leung Photography
                                > 360VR Images - 360 degree Panoramic photography
                                > Web: http://360vr.com
                                > E-mail: jook@...

                              • Hans Nyberg
                                Message 15 of 25 , Oct 31, 2007
                                  --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Juergen Schrader" <panorama@...> wrote:

                                  > <Warning; 23 mb download>
                                  >
                                  > but that's exactly the point. and mind that this is just a small one.

                                  Not at all.
                                  The problem with the Zoomyfy type what ever it is called is that you have to download the
                                  tiles again and again.
                                  Image always has to update even if you have a 6 mbit connection like me.

                                  The QTVR when you make it the right way pointing at the right interesting point updates
                                  and stays as you start exploring.
                                  Even with a standard ADSL you have a full view on the screen in less than 20 seconds and
                                  when it is loaded you can explore what ever you like without the extremely irritating pixel
                                  update.

                                  Most of these gigapixel images has a real resolution which is much less than they claim.
                                  Cut them to half and you can still see the same details.

                                  My 5920 cubefaces can easy be reduced to 4500 and you will still have the same
                                  experience.

                                  And many of them has nothing to give you when zooming in.
                                  Take a look at the famous cliff here at Xrez
                                  http://www.xrez.com/

                                  It is impressing.
                                  But what the hack is impressing in zooming in on some stones.
                                  50% zoom is enough to give me the felling of the cliffs.

                                  The full image is what impresses me as a natural wonder.

                                  Hans
                                • Jeffrey Martin
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Oct 31, 2007
                                    We *can* convert gigapixel panos / sphericals, into the googlemap and
                                    photoOverlay format simultaneously (with the additional option to put
                                    hotspots in the google map version...)
                                    One example (still under development - http://krumlov.360cities.net/?layer=1 )

                                    We do not (yet) offer an uploading interface, but whoever is
                                    interested, feel free to send a message to me off-list.

                                    Jeffrey

                                    > I have used a self written python script for the creation of the
                                    > required tiles, but this should also work and is probably a little more
                                    > comfortable:
                                    > http://www.casa.ucl.ac.uk/software/photooverlaycreator.asp
                                    > Not sure if that progam can convert gigapixel panos, though.

                                    --
                                    ------------------
                                    www.360cities.net
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Oct 31, 2007
                                      Zoomify isn't bad on a fast connection. On slow connections, it's beyond
                                      annoying. You are waiting 90% of the time for tile downloads.

                                      There seems to be a coding problem with the hd view stuff.

                                      It downloaded ALL interim tiles for before showing the tiles suitable for
                                      the view. Not cool.

                                      Ideally, tiles should be downloaded based on some the users connection speed
                                      to prevent further waits, except for sphericals. :-)

                                      Considering no one zooms for those anyway. Though tiles should be downloaded
                                      at higher resolutions for different screen resolutions.

                                      Sacha Griffin
                                      www.southern-digital.com
                                      www.seeit360.net
                                      www.ezphotosafe.com
                                      404-551-4275
                                      404-731-7798

                                      _____

                                      <http://www.panoramas.dk/big/fullscreen1.html> s.dk/big/fullscreen1.html
                                      which as far as I remember is around 19.000 pixels and 5920 pixels
                                      cubefaces.
                                      Made with 5x5 tiles it loads very fast the first parts.

                                      Warning; 23 mb download

                                      I guess around 7000pixels cubefaces is the max I can produce on my G5 with
                                      CubicConverter

                                      I have to say I hate zoomify
                                      I remember the zoomify spherical panoramas. They died a quiet death.

                                      I can not see the HDview in my Parallels Windows XP for some reason but I am
                                      not
                                      interested in it either. The whole idea with all these super resolution
                                      images on the net in
                                      zoomable versions are to me very uninteresting.

                                      For gigantic prints -Yes but seeing it in computer No.

                                    • greg downing
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Oct 31, 2007
                                        >Take a look at the famous cliff here at Xrez
                                        >http://www.xrez.com/

                                        Hans,

                                        You will have to refer the group to the specific image in the gallery,
                                        our images on our home page loads a different image at random from our
                                        gallery each time the page is reloaded.

                                        -Greg Downing
                                        http://www.xrez.com/
                                        http://www.gregdowning.com/
                                      • Hans Nyberg
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Oct 31, 2007
                                          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "greg downing" <greg@...> wrote:

                                          > >Take a look at the famous cliff here at Xrez
                                          > >http://www.xrez.com/
                                          >
                                          > Hans,
                                          >
                                          > You will have to refer the group to the specific image in the gallery,
                                          > our images on our home page loads a different image at random from our
                                          > gallery each time the page is reloaded.

                                          Sorry, never seen anything else but ElCapitan in different versions on the frontpage,
                                          Might be by chance. I can see if I reload I can get a couple of others.

                                          Hans
                                        • Juergen Schrader
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Oct 31, 2007
                                            here we go:
                                            http://www.schrader-air.de/panorama/lasvegas.kml

                                            problem maybe the mime types in your browser and/or my server. i have
                                            no idea how to fix this. i only was able to launch ge while using
                                            firefox. ie and opera would open the kml as text file.

                                            enjoy
                                            juergen