Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

RE: [PanoToolsNG] las vegas boulevard - hd view

Expand Messages
  • Mark D. Fink
    Hi Ayrton, I think this has been discussed before. The plugin is still in beta, and I’m guessing that Juergen is just doing some testing of the application.
    Message 1 of 25 , Oct 31, 2007
    • 0 Attachment
      Hi Ayrton,



      I think this has been discussed before. The plugin is still in beta, and I’m
      guessing that Juergen is just doing some testing of the application. Once it
      is out of beta, it’s anyone’s guess if MS will make it compatible with MACs.
      I wouldn’t hold my breath… :o)



      Mark

      www.pinnacle-vr.com <http://www.pinnacle-vr.com/>

      www.northernlight.net <http://www.northernlight.net/>



      _____

      From: PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com [mailto:PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com] On
      Behalf Of AYRTON - avi
      Sent: Wednesday, October 31, 2007 12:16 PM
      To: PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [PanoToolsNG] las vegas boulevard - hd view



      Again
      no way to see on MACs !!!
      This microsofti plugin does not work outside windowes
      Sorry

      AYRTON

      On 10/31/07, Juergen Schrader <panorama@schrader-
      <mailto:panorama%40schrader-air.de> air.de> wrote:
      > hi group,
      >
      > this time i want to share my first attempt on displaying some larger
      > kind of spherical panoramas on the net (this specific one is 20480 x
      > 10240). i started evaluating hd-view from microsoft and chose a
      > picture i recently took for a customer on las vegas boulevard.
      >
      > there is no hdr stuff involved, just manual blending on some
      > highlights. i still have to figure out how to get the right settings
      > for the initial view.
      >
      > anyway. on customers demand the picture was taken purposely around 3
      > a.m. to avoid the people. (i also have one with the crowd and
      > fountains, but this one has to wait).
      >
      > enjoy
      > juergen
      >
      > www.schrader-air.de/panorama/lasvegas
      > (ie or firefox, no opera, sorry for the inconvenience).
      >
      >
      >
      > --
      >
      > Yahoo! Groups Links
      >
      >
      >
      >

      --
      AYRTON 21-9982.6313 www.ayrton.com
      Ladeira de Nossa Senhora, 214 / sl. 101 www.vrfolio.com
      Outeiro da Glória - RJ - 22211-100 - Brasil www.vr-images.com
      Panoramas do Rio de Janeiro www.rio360.com.br





      [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
    • Juergen Schrader
      chris, this specific file is just 40 mb. mind there s lots of black and due to the night scene i set quality to 60%. i have a usual daylight scene with
      Message 2 of 25 , Oct 31, 2007
      • 0 Attachment
        chris,

        this specific file is "just" 40 mb. mind there's lots of black and
        due to the night scene i set quality to 60%. i have a usual daylight
        scene with higher quality settings which ended up with 70 mb.
        sure, i have to try different settings though.
        but also sure, i do not want hi res panoramas to see jpg artefacts
        *g*.

        best
        juergen

        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Chris Thomas <chris@...> wrote:
        >
        > Very cool Juergen..
        >
        >
        >
        > The viewer installed easily and worked flawlessly.
        >
        > How big is the file on your server?
        >
        >
        >
        > Cheers
        >
        > chris
        >
        >
        >
        > Chris Thomas
        >
        > Photographer
        >
        > cell... 403-615-1212
        >
        > In North America
        >
        > call... 1-800-870-5110
        >
        > <http://www.christhomas.com/> http://www.christhomas.com
        >
        >
        >
        > -----Original Message-----
        > From: PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com
        [mailto:PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com] On
        > Behalf Of Juergen Schrader
        > Sent: Wednesday, October 31, 2007 7:38 AM
        > To: PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com
        > Subject: [PanoToolsNG] las vegas boulevard - hd view
        >
        >
        >
        > hi group,
        >
        > this time i want to share my first attempt on displaying some
        larger
        > kind of spherical panoramas on the net (this specific one is 20480
        x
        > 10240). i started evaluating hd-view from microsoft and chose a
        > picture i recently took for a customer on las vegas boulevard.
        >
        > there is no hdr stuff involved, just manual blending on some
        > highlights. i still have to figure out how to get the right
        settings
        > for the initial view.
        >
        > anyway. on customers demand the picture was taken purposely around
        3
        > a.m. to avoid the people. (i also have one with the crowd and
        > fountains, but this one has to wait).
        >
        > enjoy
        > juergen
        >
        > www.schrader-air.de/panorama/lasvegas
        > (ie or firefox, no opera, sorry for the inconvenience).
        >
        >
        >
        >
        >
        > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
        >
      • Paul D. DeRocco
        ... Nicely done. It s interesting that the viewer seems to use rectangular projection at higher zoom levels, and spherical when zoomed out, with a smooth
        Message 3 of 25 , Oct 31, 2007
        • 0 Attachment
          > From: Juergen Schrader
          >
          > this time i want to share my first attempt on displaying some larger
          > kind of spherical panoramas on the net (this specific one is 20480 x
          > 10240). i started evaluating hd-view from microsoft and chose a
          > picture i recently took for a customer on las vegas boulevard.
          >
          > there is no hdr stuff involved, just manual blending on some
          > highlights. i still have to figure out how to get the right settings
          > for the initial view.
          >
          > anyway. on customers demand the picture was taken purposely around 3
          > a.m. to avoid the people. (i also have one with the crowd and
          > fountains, but this one has to wait).

          Nicely done. It's interesting that the viewer seems to use rectangular
          projection at higher zoom levels, and spherical when zoomed out, with a
          smooth transition between them.

          --

          Ciao, Paul D. DeRocco
          Paul mailto:pderocco@...
        • Keith Martin
          ... Photoshop CS3 could be used to produce a composite image from multiple shots that eliminates people, if you have enough shots of the same place to be able
          Message 4 of 25 , Oct 31, 2007
          • 0 Attachment
            Sometime around 31/10/07 (at 13:38 +0000) Juergen Schrader said:

            >anyway. on customers demand the picture was taken purposely around 3
            >a.m. to avoid the people. (i also have one with the crowd and
            >fountains, but this one has to wait).

            Photoshop CS3 could be used to produce a composite image from
            multiple shots that eliminates people, if you have enough shots of
            the same place to be able to mask out the differences from each one.


            >www.schrader-air.de/panorama/lasvegas
            >(ie or firefox, no opera, sorry for the inconvenience).

            Or Safari, or Macs in general? :-(

            k
          • Keith Martin
            ... Quite. Anyone s guess is one way of putting it. Snowball s chance in hell is another. Remember, this is the company that is known for the exterminate
            Message 5 of 25 , Oct 31, 2007
            • 0 Attachment
              Sometime around 31/10/07 (at 12:39 -0400) Mark D. Fink said:

              >Once it
              >is out of beta, it’s anyone’s guess if MS will make it compatible with MACs.
              >I wouldn’t hold my breath… :o)

              Quite. "Anyone's guess" is one way of putting it.
              "Snowball's chance in hell" is another. Remember,
              this is the company that is known for the
              'exterminate' approach to all competition,
              wherever they can get away with it and sometimes
              where they can't.

              I appreciate the fact that this viewer offers
              something very interesting for certain projects.
              But please remember to support inclusive,
              cross-platform solutions wherever humanly
              possible.

              k
            • Juergen Schrader
              i agree and would be happy if one could direct me to an appropriate tool a non coder can use to show sphericals at least in the 1/2 gigapixel range. best
              Message 6 of 25 , Oct 31, 2007
              • 0 Attachment
                i agree and would be happy if one could direct me to an appropriate
                tool a non coder can use to show sphericals at least in the 1/2
                gigapixel range.

                best
                juergen

                but we don't need another ms flame though ^^



                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Keith Martin <keith@...> wrote:
                >
                > Sometime around 31/10/07 (at 12:39 -0400) Mark D. Fink said:
                >
                > >Once it
                > >is out of beta, it's anyone's guess if MS will make it compatible
                with MACs.
                > >I wouldn't hold my breath… :o)
                >
                > Quite. "Anyone's guess" is one way of putting it.
                > "Snowball's chance in hell" is another. Remember,
                > this is the company that is known for the
                > 'exterminate' approach to all competition,
                > wherever they can get away with it and sometimes
                > where they can't.
                >
                > I appreciate the fact that this viewer offers
                > something very interesting for certain projects.
                > But please remember to support inclusive,
                > cross-platform solutions wherever humanly
                > possible.
                >
                > k
                >
              • Hans Nyberg
                ... Your 20.000 pixels should work fine in QTVR. I have one online here http://www.panoramas.dk/big/fullscreen1.html which as far as I remember is around
                Message 7 of 25 , Oct 31, 2007
                • 0 Attachment
                  --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Juergen Schrader" <panorama@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > i agree and would be happy if one could direct me to an appropriate
                  > tool a non coder can use to show sphericals at least in the 1/2
                  > gigapixel range.

                  Your 20.000 pixels should work fine in QTVR.
                  I have one online here http://www.panoramas.dk/big/fullscreen1.html
                  which as far as I remember is around 19.000 pixels and 5920 pixels cubefaces.
                  Made with 5x5 tiles it loads very fast the first parts.

                  Warning; 23 mb download

                  I guess around 7000pixels cubefaces is the max I can produce on my G5 with
                  CubicConverter

                  I have to say I hate zoomify
                  I remember the zoomify spherical panoramas. They died a quiet death.

                  I can not see the HDview in my Parallels Windows XP for some reason but I am not
                  interested in it either. The whole idea with all these super resolution images on the net in
                  zoomable versions are to me very uninteresting.

                  For gigantic prints -Yes but seeing it in computer No.

                  Hans
                • Juergen Schrader
                  yeah sure, i know about this. but, honestly, i can t imagine i would want to shoot that much pictures on las vegas boulevard at nine in the night. personally
                  Message 8 of 25 , Oct 31, 2007
                  • 0 Attachment
                    yeah sure, i know about this. but, honestly, i can't imagine i would
                    want to shoot that much pictures on las vegas boulevard at nine in
                    the night. personally i'd rather prefer the people and fountains
                    anyway. we'll see. ;)

                    --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Keith Martin <keith@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > Sometime around 31/10/07 (at 13:38 +0000) Juergen Schrader said:
                    >
                    > >anyway. on customers demand the picture was taken purposely
                    around 3
                    > >a.m. to avoid the people. (i also have one with the crowd and
                    > >fountains, but this one has to wait).
                    >
                    > Photoshop CS3 could be used to produce a composite image from
                    > multiple shots that eliminates people, if you have enough shots of
                    > the same place to be able to mask out the differences from each
                    one.
                    >
                    >
                    > >www.schrader-air.de/panorama/lasvegas
                    > >(ie or firefox, no opera, sorry for the inconvenience).
                    >
                    > Or Safari, or Macs in general? :-(
                    >
                    > k
                    >
                  • Paul D. DeRocco
                    ... I think it s more likely that MS _will_ come out with a Mac version, since it s doubtful that very many people would use the format if Mac users couldn t
                    Message 9 of 25 , Oct 31, 2007
                    • 0 Attachment
                      > From: Keith Martin
                      >
                      > Quite. "Anyone's guess" is one way of putting it.
                      > "Snowball's chance in hell" is another. Remember,
                      > this is the company that is known for the
                      > 'exterminate' approach to all competition,
                      > wherever they can get away with it and sometimes
                      > where they can't.

                      I think it's more likely that MS _will_ come out with a Mac version, since
                      it's doubtful that very many people would use the format if Mac users
                      couldn't view it. (They did, after all, come out with IE for the Mac.) And I
                      can't imagine that anyone at MS would be deluded enough to think that
                      creating this minor viewer utility only for Windows would make anyone switch
                      from a Mac to a Windows machine.

                      Just my W.A.G., though.

                      --

                      Ciao, Paul D. DeRocco
                      Paul mailto:pderocco@...
                    • Juergen Schrader
                      but that s exactly the point. and mind that this is just a small one. i agree that not every picture will benefit from just making it
                      Message 10 of 25 , Oct 31, 2007
                      • 0 Attachment
                        <Warning; 23 mb download>

                        but that's exactly the point. and mind that this is just a small one.

                        i agree that not every picture will benefit from just making it big.
                        (same with the hdr hype). but there truely are scenes that deserve it
                        or purposes that demand it. and i am pretty sure that in the near
                        future there is an expanding market for this kind.

                        cheers
                        juergen


                        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Hans Nyberg" <hans@...> wrote:
                        >
                        > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Juergen Schrader" <panorama@>
                        wrote:
                        > >
                        > > i agree and would be happy if one could direct me to an
                        appropriate
                        > > tool a non coder can use to show sphericals at least in the 1/2
                        > > gigapixel range.
                        >
                        > Your 20.000 pixels should work fine in QTVR.
                        > I have one online here http://www.panoramas.dk/big/fullscreen1.html
                        > which as far as I remember is around 19.000 pixels and 5920 pixels
                        cubefaces.
                        > Made with 5x5 tiles it loads very fast the first parts.
                        >
                        > Warning; 23 mb download
                        >
                        > I guess around 7000pixels cubefaces is the max I can produce on my
                        G5 with
                        > CubicConverter
                        >
                        > I have to say I hate zoomify
                        > I remember the zoomify spherical panoramas. They died a quiet
                        death.
                        >
                        > I can not see the HDview in my Parallels Windows XP for some
                        reason but I am not
                        > interested in it either. The whole idea with all these super
                        resolution images on the net in
                        > zoomable versions are to me very uninteresting.
                        >
                        > For gigantic prints -Yes but seeing it in computer No.
                        >
                        > Hans
                        >
                      • Jook Leung
                        For flat panoramas there s a cool sharing site at http://gigapan.org Jook ... Jook Leung Photography 360VR Images - 360 degree Panoramic photography Web:
                        Message 11 of 25 , Oct 31, 2007
                        • 0 Attachment
                          For flat panoramas there's a cool sharing site at http://gigapan.org


                          Jook



                          On Oct 31, 2007, at 5:22 PM, Hans Nyberg wrote:

                          > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Juergen Schrader"
                          > <panorama@...> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > i agree and would be happy if one could direct me to an appropriate
                          > > tool a non coder can use to show sphericals at least in the 1/2
                          > > gigapixel range.
                          >
                          > Your 20.000 pixels should work fine in QTVR.
                          > I have one online here http://www.panoramas.dk/big/fullscreen1.html
                          > which as far as I remember is around 19.000 pixels and 5920 pixels
                          > cubefaces.
                          > Made with 5x5 tiles it loads very fast the first parts.
                          >
                          > Warning; 23 mb download
                          >
                          > I guess around 7000pixels cubefaces is the max I can produce on my
                          > G5 with
                          > CubicConverter
                          >
                          > I have to say I hate zoomify
                          > I remember the zoomify spherical panoramas. They died a quiet death.
                          >
                          > I can not see the HDview in my Parallels Windows XP for some reason
                          > but I am not
                          > interested in it either. The whole idea with all these super
                          > resolution images on the net in
                          > zoomable versions are to me very uninteresting.
                          >
                          > For gigantic prints -Yes but seeing it in computer No.
                          >
                          > Hans
                          >
                          >
                          >

                          Jook Leung Photography
                          360VR Images - 360 degree Panoramic photography
                          Web: http://360vr.com
                          E-mail: jook@...






                          [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                        • Paul D. DeRocco
                          ... I think the point of this particular MS viewer is that it doesn t just download the whole image, it works more like Google Earth, downloading and caching
                          Message 12 of 25 , Oct 31, 2007
                          • 0 Attachment
                            > From: Hans Nyberg
                            >
                            > Your 20.000 pixels should work fine in QTVR.
                            > I have one online here http://www.panoramas.dk/big/fullscreen1.html
                            > which as far as I remember is around 19.000 pixels and 5920
                            > pixels cubefaces. Made with 5x5 tiles it loads very fast the
                            > first parts.
                            >
                            > Warning; 23 mb download

                            I think the point of this particular MS viewer is that it doesn't just
                            download the whole image, it works more like Google Earth, downloading and
                            caching the parts that the user actually views, at the resolution viewed at.
                            Indeed, the presentation is fairly similar to the Gigapixl Photos on Google
                            Earth, except that they're all flat, not 360s.

                            > I can not see the HDview in my Parallels Windows XP for some
                            > reason but I am not
                            > interested in it either. The whole idea with all these super
                            > resolution images on the net in
                            > zoomable versions are to me very uninteresting.
                            >
                            > For gigantic prints -Yes but seeing it in computer No.

                            Do you print other people's big panos? I never do--I just look at them
                            online. For 360s, it's printing that seems pretty uninteresting to me, since
                            they look pretty weird when printed flat.

                            --

                            Ciao, Paul D. DeRocco
                            Paul mailto:pderocco@...
                          • Pablo dAngelo
                            Hi Juergen, ... Google Earth can do this, too. It doesn t have some fancy features of HDView, but its nice to place panos on Google Earth. I have tested it
                            Message 13 of 25 , Oct 31, 2007
                            • 0 Attachment
                              Hi Juergen,

                              > i agree and would be happy if one could direct me to an appropriate
                              > tool a non coder can use to show sphericals at least in the 1/2
                              > gigapixel range.

                              Google Earth can do this, too. It doesn't have some fancy features of
                              HDView, but its nice to place panos on Google Earth. I have tested it with a
                              40000x10000 cylindrical pano I shot from the Campanile in Berkeley, and it
                              works fine. I have used a self written python script for the creation of the
                              required tiles, but this should also work and is probably a little more
                              comfortable:
                              http://www.casa.ucl.ac.uk/software/photooverlaycreator.asp
                              Not sure if that progam can convert gigapixel panos, though.

                              This is actually nicer than most of the other viewers, since it will work in
                              linux too ;-)

                              ciao
                              Pablo

                              >
                              > best
                              > juergen
                              >
                              > but we don't need another ms flame though ^^
                              >
                              >
                              >
                              > --- In #email-removed# Keith Martin <keith@...> wrote:
                              >> Sometime around 31/10/07 (at 12:39 -0400) Mark D. Fink said:
                              >>
                              >>> Once it
                              >>> is out of beta, it's anyone's guess if MS will make it compatible
                              > with MACs.
                              >>> I wouldn't hold my breath… :o)
                              >> Quite. "Anyone's guess" is one way of putting it.
                              >> "Snowball's chance in hell" is another. Remember,
                              >> this is the company that is known for the
                              >> 'exterminate' approach to all competition,
                              >> wherever they can get away with it and sometimes
                              >> where they can't.
                              >>
                              >> I appreciate the fact that this viewer offers
                              >> something very interesting for certain projects.
                              >> But please remember to support inclusive,
                              >> cross-platform solutions wherever humanly
                              >> possible.
                              >>
                              >> k
                              >>
                              >
                              >
                              >
                              >
                            • Juergen Schrader
                              yep, i found this on the ivrpa journal today and soon will give it a try. cheers juergen pablo, you got my mail? ... appropriate ... of ... it with a ...
                              Message 14 of 25 , Oct 31, 2007
                              • 0 Attachment
                                yep, i found this on the ivrpa journal today and soon will give it a
                                try.

                                cheers
                                juergen

                                pablo, you got my mail?


                                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Pablo dAngelo
                                <pablo.dangelo@...> wrote:
                                >
                                > Hi Juergen,
                                >
                                > > i agree and would be happy if one could direct me to an
                                appropriate
                                > > tool a non coder can use to show sphericals at least in the 1/2
                                > > gigapixel range.
                                >
                                > Google Earth can do this, too. It doesn't have some fancy features
                                of
                                > HDView, but its nice to place panos on Google Earth. I have tested
                                it with a
                                > 40000x10000 cylindrical pano I shot from the Campanile in
                                Berkeley, and it
                                > works fine. I have used a self written python script for the
                                creation of the
                                > required tiles, but this should also work and is probably a little
                                more
                                > comfortable:
                                > http://www.casa.ucl.ac.uk/software/photooverlaycreator.asp
                                > Not sure if that progam can convert gigapixel panos, though.
                                >
                                > This is actually nicer than most of the other viewers, since it
                                will work in
                                > linux too ;-)
                                >
                                > ciao
                                > Pablo
                                >
                                > >
                                > > best
                                > > juergen
                                > >
                                > > but we don't need another ms flame though ^^
                                > >
                                > >
                                > >
                                > > --- In #email-removed# Keith Martin <keith@> wrote:
                                > >> Sometime around 31/10/07 (at 12:39 -0400) Mark D. Fink said:
                                > >>
                                > >>> Once it
                                > >>> is out of beta, it's anyone's guess if MS will make it
                                compatible
                                > > with MACs.
                                > >>> I wouldn't hold my breath… :o)
                                > >> Quite. "Anyone's guess" is one way of putting it.
                                > >> "Snowball's chance in hell" is another. Remember,
                                > >> this is the company that is known for the
                                > >> 'exterminate' approach to all competition,
                                > >> wherever they can get away with it and sometimes
                                > >> where they can't.
                                > >>
                                > >> I appreciate the fact that this viewer offers
                                > >> something very interesting for certain projects.
                                > >> But please remember to support inclusive,
                                > >> cross-platform solutions wherever humanly
                                > >> possible.
                                > >>
                                > >> k
                                > >>
                                > >
                                > >
                                > >
                                > >
                                >
                              • Juergen Schrader
                                thank you jook, i visited their site the other day and really like their approach. but finally i felt i wouldn t want to leave the picture i shot for a
                                Message 15 of 25 , Oct 31, 2007
                                • 0 Attachment
                                  thank you jook,

                                  i visited their site the other day and really like their approach.
                                  but finally i felt i wouldn't want to leave the picture i shot for a
                                  customer at full resolution on an unknown server.

                                  cheers
                                  juergen

                                  --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Jook Leung <jook360@...> wrote:
                                  >
                                  > For flat panoramas there's a cool sharing site at http://gigapan.org
                                  >
                                  >
                                  > Jook
                                  >
                                  >
                                  >
                                  > On Oct 31, 2007, at 5:22 PM, Hans Nyberg wrote:
                                  >
                                  > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Juergen Schrader"
                                  > > <panorama@> wrote:
                                  > > >
                                  > > > i agree and would be happy if one could direct me to an
                                  appropriate
                                  > > > tool a non coder can use to show sphericals at least in the 1/2
                                  > > > gigapixel range.
                                  > >
                                  > > Your 20.000 pixels should work fine in QTVR.
                                  > > I have one online here http://www.panoramas.dk/big/
                                  fullscreen1.html
                                  > > which as far as I remember is around 19.000 pixels and 5920
                                  pixels
                                  > > cubefaces.
                                  > > Made with 5x5 tiles it loads very fast the first parts.
                                  > >
                                  > > Warning; 23 mb download
                                  > >
                                  > > I guess around 7000pixels cubefaces is the max I can produce on
                                  my
                                  > > G5 with
                                  > > CubicConverter
                                  > >
                                  > > I have to say I hate zoomify
                                  > > I remember the zoomify spherical panoramas. They died a quiet
                                  death.
                                  > >
                                  > > I can not see the HDview in my Parallels Windows XP for some
                                  reason
                                  > > but I am not
                                  > > interested in it either. The whole idea with all these super
                                  > > resolution images on the net in
                                  > > zoomable versions are to me very uninteresting.
                                  > >
                                  > > For gigantic prints -Yes but seeing it in computer No.
                                  > >
                                  > > Hans
                                  > >
                                  > >
                                  > >
                                  >
                                  > Jook Leung Photography
                                  > 360VR Images - 360 degree Panoramic photography
                                  > Web: http://360vr.com
                                  > E-mail: jook@...
                                  >
                                  >
                                  >
                                  >
                                  >
                                  >
                                  > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                                  >
                                • Hans Nyberg
                                  ... Not at all. The problem with the Zoomyfy type what ever it is called is that you have to download the tiles again and again. Image always has to update
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Oct 31, 2007
                                  • 0 Attachment
                                    --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Juergen Schrader" <panorama@...> wrote:
                                    >
                                    > <Warning; 23 mb download>
                                    >
                                    > but that's exactly the point. and mind that this is just a small one.

                                    Not at all.
                                    The problem with the Zoomyfy type what ever it is called is that you have to download the
                                    tiles again and again.
                                    Image always has to update even if you have a 6 mbit connection like me.

                                    The QTVR when you make it the right way pointing at the right interesting point updates
                                    and stays as you start exploring.
                                    Even with a standard ADSL you have a full view on the screen in less than 20 seconds and
                                    when it is loaded you can explore what ever you like without the extremely irritating pixel
                                    update.

                                    Most of these gigapixel images has a real resolution which is much less than they claim.
                                    Cut them to half and you can still see the same details.

                                    My 5920 cubefaces can easy be reduced to 4500 and you will still have the same
                                    experience.

                                    And many of them has nothing to give you when zooming in.
                                    Take a look at the famous cliff here at Xrez
                                    http://www.xrez.com/

                                    It is impressing.
                                    But what the hack is impressing in zooming in on some stones.
                                    50% zoom is enough to give me the felling of the cliffs.

                                    The full image is what impresses me as a natural wonder.

                                    Hans
                                  • Jeffrey Martin
                                    We *can* convert gigapixel panos / sphericals, into the googlemap and photoOverlay format simultaneously (with the additional option to put hotspots in the
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Oct 31, 2007
                                    • 0 Attachment
                                      We *can* convert gigapixel panos / sphericals, into the googlemap and
                                      photoOverlay format simultaneously (with the additional option to put
                                      hotspots in the google map version...)
                                      One example (still under development - http://krumlov.360cities.net/?layer=1 )

                                      We do not (yet) offer an uploading interface, but whoever is
                                      interested, feel free to send a message to me off-list.

                                      Jeffrey


                                      >
                                      > I have used a self written python script for the creation of the
                                      > required tiles, but this should also work and is probably a little more
                                      > comfortable:
                                      > http://www.casa.ucl.ac.uk/software/photooverlaycreator.asp
                                      > Not sure if that progam can convert gigapixel panos, though.
                                      >






                                      --
                                      ------------------
                                      www.360cities.net
                                      www.prague360.com
                                      www.vrlog.net
                                      tel. +420 608 076 502
                                      skype jeffrey.s.martin
                                    • Sacha Griffin
                                      Zoomify isn t bad on a fast connection. On slow connections, it s beyond annoying. You are waiting 90% of the time for tile downloads. There seems to be a
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Oct 31, 2007
                                      • 0 Attachment
                                        Zoomify isn't bad on a fast connection. On slow connections, it's beyond
                                        annoying. You are waiting 90% of the time for tile downloads.



                                        There seems to be a coding problem with the hd view stuff.

                                        It downloaded ALL interim tiles for before showing the tiles suitable for
                                        the view. Not cool.

                                        Ideally, tiles should be downloaded based on some the users connection speed
                                        to prevent further waits, except for sphericals. :-)

                                        Considering no one zooms for those anyway. Though tiles should be downloaded
                                        at higher resolutions for different screen resolutions.



                                        Sacha Griffin
                                        Southern Digital Solutions LLC - Atlanta, Georgia
                                        www.southern-digital.com
                                        www.seeit360.net
                                        www.ezphotosafe.com
                                        404-551-4275
                                        404-731-7798

                                        _____

                                        From: PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com [mailto:PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com] On
                                        Behalf Of Hans Nyberg
                                        Sent: Wednesday, October 31, 2007 4:22 PM
                                        To: PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com
                                        Subject: [PanoToolsNG] Re: las vegas boulevard - hd view



                                        --- In PanoToolsNG@ <mailto:PanoToolsNG%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com,
                                        "Juergen Schrader" <panorama@...> wrote:
                                        >
                                        > i agree and would be happy if one could direct me to an appropriate
                                        > tool a non coder can use to show sphericals at least in the 1/2
                                        > gigapixel range.

                                        Your 20.000 pixels should work fine in QTVR.
                                        I have one online here http://www.panorama
                                        <http://www.panoramas.dk/big/fullscreen1.html> s.dk/big/fullscreen1.html
                                        which as far as I remember is around 19.000 pixels and 5920 pixels
                                        cubefaces.
                                        Made with 5x5 tiles it loads very fast the first parts.

                                        Warning; 23 mb download

                                        I guess around 7000pixels cubefaces is the max I can produce on my G5 with
                                        CubicConverter

                                        I have to say I hate zoomify
                                        I remember the zoomify spherical panoramas. They died a quiet death.

                                        I can not see the HDview in my Parallels Windows XP for some reason but I am
                                        not
                                        interested in it either. The whole idea with all these super resolution
                                        images on the net in
                                        zoomable versions are to me very uninteresting.

                                        For gigantic prints -Yes but seeing it in computer No.

                                        Hans





                                        [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                                      • greg downing
                                        ... Hans, You will have to refer the group to the specific image in the gallery, our images on our home page loads a different image at random from our gallery
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Oct 31, 2007
                                        • 0 Attachment
                                          >Take a look at the famous cliff here at Xrez
                                          >http://www.xrez.com/

                                          Hans,

                                          You will have to refer the group to the specific image in the gallery,
                                          our images on our home page loads a different image at random from our
                                          gallery each time the page is reloaded.

                                          -Greg Downing
                                          http://www.xrez.com/
                                          http://www.gregdowning.com/
                                        • Hans Nyberg
                                          ... Sorry, never seen anything else but ElCapitan in different versions on the frontpage, Might be by chance. I can see if I reload I can get a couple of
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Oct 31, 2007
                                          • 0 Attachment
                                            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "greg downing" <greg@...> wrote:
                                            >
                                            > >Take a look at the famous cliff here at Xrez
                                            > >http://www.xrez.com/
                                            >
                                            > Hans,
                                            >
                                            > You will have to refer the group to the specific image in the gallery,
                                            > our images on our home page loads a different image at random from our
                                            > gallery each time the page is reloaded.

                                            Sorry, never seen anything else but ElCapitan in different versions on the frontpage,
                                            Might be by chance. I can see if I reload I can get a couple of others.

                                            Hans
                                          • Juergen Schrader
                                            here we go: http://www.schrader-air.de/panorama/lasvegas.kml problem maybe the mime types in your browser and/or my server. i have no idea how to fix this. i
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Oct 31, 2007
                                            • 0 Attachment
                                              here we go:
                                              http://www.schrader-air.de/panorama/lasvegas.kml

                                              problem maybe the mime types in your browser and/or my server. i have
                                              no idea how to fix this. i only was able to launch ge while using
                                              firefox. ie and opera would open the kml as text file.

                                              enjoy
                                              juergen

                                              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Juergen
                                              Schrader" <panorama@...> wrote:
                                              >
                                              > yep, i found this on the ivrpa journal today and soon will give it
                                              a
                                              > try.
                                              >
                                              > cheers
                                              > juergen
                                              >
                                              > pablo, you got my mail?
                                              >
                                              >
                                              > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Pablo dAngelo
                                              > <pablo.dangelo@> wrote:
                                              > >
                                              > > Hi Juergen,
                                              > >
                                              > > > i agree and would be happy if one could direct me to an
                                              > appropriate
                                              > > > tool a non coder can use to show sphericals at least in the 1/
                                              2
                                              > > > gigapixel range.
                                              > >
                                              > > Google Earth can do this, too. It doesn't have some fancy
                                              features
                                              > of
                                              > > HDView, but its nice to place panos on Google Earth. I have
                                              tested
                                              > it with a
                                              > > 40000x10000 cylindrical pano I shot from the Campanile in
                                              > Berkeley, and it
                                              > > works fine. I have used a self written python script for the
                                              > creation of the
                                              > > required tiles, but this should also work and is probably a
                                              little
                                              > more
                                              > > comfortable:
                                              > > http://www.casa.ucl.ac.uk/software/photooverlaycreator.asp
                                              > > Not sure if that progam can convert gigapixel panos, though.
                                              > >
                                              > > This is actually nicer than most of the other viewers, since it
                                              > will work in
                                              > > linux too ;-)
                                              > >
                                              > > ciao
                                              > > Pablo
                                              > >
                                              > > >
                                              > > > best
                                              > > > juergen
                                              > > >
                                              > > > but we don't need another ms flame though ^^
                                              > > >
                                              > > >
                                              > > >
                                              > > > --- In #email-removed# Keith Martin <keith@> wrote:
                                              > > >> Sometime around 31/10/07 (at 12:39 -0400) Mark D. Fink said:
                                              > > >>
                                              > > >>> Once it
                                              > > >>> is out of beta, it's anyone's guess if MS will make it
                                              > compatible
                                              > > > with MACs.
                                              > > >>> I wouldn't hold my breath… :o)
                                              > > >> Quite. "Anyone's guess" is one way of putting it.
                                              > > >> "Snowball's chance in hell" is another. Remember,
                                              > > >> this is the company that is known for the
                                              > > >> 'exterminate' approach to all competition,
                                              > > >> wherever they can get away with it and sometimes
                                              > > >> where they can't.
                                              > > >>
                                              > > >> I appreciate the fact that this viewer offers
                                              > > >> something very interesting for certain projects.
                                              > > >> But please remember to support inclusive,
                                              > > >> cross-platform solutions wherever humanly
                                              > > >> possible.
                                              > > >>
                                              > > >> k
                                              > > >>
                                              > > >
                                              > > >
                                              > > >
                                              > > >
                                              > >
                                              >
                                            Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.