Self introduction

  • Thomas Humeau
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 31, 2007
      Dear group,

      Even though this is my first post on this group, I have been reading the
      posts here for the last 3 months and I have to say this has been a great
      source of information and inspiration.

      My name in Thomas, I'm French but since 2002, I live in Tokyo, Japan.

      I've started to make panoramas in 1996 and after 10 years, I'm still trying
      to perfect my techniques.

      I have a dedicated website for panoramas where I've been "storing" all my
      panoramas since when I started.

      My website is based on a blogging script called Dotclear that I have
      customized. I have actually written a simple plugin for it in PHP that
      allows me to post panoramas fairly easily.

      Since last month, I've started to use the flashpanorama applet to display my
      panoramas.

      My favorite panorama so far is one I took at night in Paris of the Louvre
      museum:

      http://www.photo-culture.com/index.php/2006/08/21/176-louvre-museum-by-night
      -different-view

      I would be glad to have you feed back and if you have any questions on my
      website or my panoramas, feel free to ask!

      Thank you!

      Thomas

      http://www.photo-culture.com <http://www.photo-culture.com/>

    • John Houghton
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 31, 2007
        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Humeau" <thumeau@...> wrote:
        > My favorite panorama so far is one I took at night in Paris of the
        > Louvre museum:

        Thomas, Welcome. You have captured the scene quite well, but there are
        some minor problems. There are obvious stitching errors and the
        panorama needs levelling, as it's impossible to get all the verticals
        vertical. The image doesn't look quite right to me, but that might be
        down to the viewer or image cropping or stitching. It would be helpful
        if you could give some details about the equipment used and your
        stitching workflow. We would then be better placed to suggest ways of
        correcting these and any other problems that might be spotted. It
        certainly looks like it would be well worth spending the little time
        necessary to put things right.

        John
      • Roger D. Williams
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 31, 2007
          On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 18:45:03 +0900, Thomas Humeau <thumeau@...>
          wrote:

          > Dear group,
          >
          > Even though this is my first post on this group, I have been reading the
          > posts here for the last 3 months and I have to say this has been a great
          > source of information and inspiration.
          >

          > My name in Thomas, I'm French but since 2002, I live in Tokyo, Japan.

          My name is Roger, I'm English, but my mother was of French extractions.
          Since 1966 I live in Japan, and since 1969 in Tokyo. I hope you enjoy
          life in Japan!

          I must have started taking panoramas about the time you came to Japan,
          but I still don't have a website to display them. They occupy gigabytes
          of hard disk space on different computers.

          > I've started to make panoramas in 1996 and after 10 years, I'm still
          > trying to perfect my techniques.

          Another thing we have in common...

          > I have a dedicated website for panoramas where I've been "storing" all my
          > panoramas since when I started.
          >
          > My website is based on a blogging script called Dotclear that I have
          > customized. I have actually written a simple plugin for it in PHP that
          > allows me to post panoramas fairly easily.
          >
          > Since last month, I've started to use the flashpanorama applet to
          > display my panoramas.

          I am attracted to this option. If you are willing to share, perhaps I can
          do the same?

          > My favorite panorama so far is one I took at night in Paris of the Louvre
          > museum:
          >
          > http://www.photo-culture.com/index.php/2006/08/21/176-louvre-museum-by-night
          > -different-view

          It's a wonderful panorama. I notice that although it's 360 degrees around
          it is not full-scan vertically, i.e., not 180 degrees.

          > I would be glad to have you feed back and if you have any questions on my
          > website or my panoramas, feel free to ask!

          I will be spending more time at your site in coming days. It will be
          fascinating to see panoramas of Tokyo. Maybe one day we can take some
          together?

          Roger Williams

          --
          Work: www.adex-japan.com
          Play: www.usefilm.com/member/roger
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 1, 2007
            Hi John,
            Thank you for your comments.
            Yes, at the time I did the stitching, my workflow was not very good.
            Following your advise, I have remade the panorama and posted it again
            at the same place. Most of the stitching errors should be gone.
            Let me know if you still see leveling issues.

            I took this panorama with a Nikon D70 and Tokina 12-24 (at 12 obviously).

            Thanks,
            Thomas

            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "John Houghton" <j.houghton@...>
            wrote:

            > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Humeau" <thumeau@> wrote:
            > > My favorite panorama so far is one I took at night in Paris of the
            > > Louvre museum:
            >
            > Thomas, Welcome. You have captured the scene quite well, but there are
            > some minor problems. There are obvious stitching errors and the
            > panorama needs levelling, as it's impossible to get all the verticals
            > vertical. The image doesn't look quite right to me, but that might be
            > down to the viewer or image cropping or stitching. It would be helpful
            > if you could give some details about the equipment used and your
            > stitching workflow. We would then be better placed to suggest ways of
            > correcting these and any other problems that might be spotted. It
            > certainly looks like it would be well worth spending the little time
            > necessary to put things right.
            >
            > John

          • John Houghton
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 2, 2007
              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas." <thumeau@...> wrote:

              > Most of the stitching errors should be gone.
              > Let me know if you still see leveling issues.

              Thomas, The stitching errors have gone, but the levelling is not
              quite as good as it might be. When you have such nice, clear
              reflections of features in the water surfaces, which are naturally
              vertically aligned, it's easy to get perfect levelling.

              Of rather more concern is the bowing of straight line features. See
              the low wall and paving lines below the main pyramid. These show
              nasty curving.

              You don't mention how you stitched the images. If using PTGui, see
              this levelling tutorial:

              http://www.johnhpanos.com/levtut.htm

              Again if using PTGui, the curved straight line features are probably
              due to bad lens parameters evaluated by poor optimization.
              Calibrating the lens parameters would solve that problem.

              John
            • Roger D. Williams
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 2, 2007
                On Fri, 02 Nov 2007 17:35:32 +0900, John Houghton
                <j.houghton@...> wrote:

                > Of rather more concern is the bowing of straight line features. See
                > the low wall and paving lines below the main pyramid. These show
                > nasty curving.
                >
                > You don't mention how you stitched the images. If using PTGui, see
                > this levelling tutorial:
                >
                > http://www.johnhpanos.com/levtut.htm
                >
                > Again if using PTGui, the curved straight line features are probably
                > due to bad lens parameters evaluated by poor optimization.
                > Calibrating the lens parameters would solve that problem.

                Another possibility is that this is a cylindrical panorama being viewed
                as a spherical panorama. I used to shoot ONLY cylindrical panoramas for
                years, and ran into this quite a lot. It was confusing until I found
                the settings to force the viewer to treat my images as cylindrical. It's
                easy enough for the viewer to do this automatically--the give-away is
                that the vertical and horizontal pixel counts are not in the raio 2:1.
                But not all do...

                Roger W.

                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 2, 2007
                  --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Roger D. Williams" <roger@...>
                  wrote:

                  > Another possibility is that this is a cylindrical panorama being
                  > viewed as a spherical panorama.

                  Roger, Good thinking. That is indeed the problem here, i.e. a .mov
                  file produced from a cylindrical input. I had some problems verifying
                  this as Pano2VR failed to convert the .mov file to equirectangular
                  properly; the output file was only 1KB! Fortunately, it did manage to
                  produce a new .mov file which could then be converted to
                  equirectangular ok.

                  John