New (to me) HDR tool - Picturenaut

  • Hoyle Koontz
    Message 1 of 28 , Oct 29, 2007
      Curious to know if anyone has tried Picturenaut -
      http://www.hdrlabs.com/picturenaut/index.html - and if they care to comment
      regarding the features/benefits/downfalls vs. other HDR tonemappers such as
      Photomatix, etc.?

      Best regards,

      Hoyle Koontz
    • Jakob Norstedt-Moberg
      Message 2 of 28 , Oct 29, 2007
        When I try to go to the page with IE 6 I get a very rude error message
        telling me to upgrade or switch to another browser. It's not
        professional so I wont try it again.

        Jakob

        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Hoyle Koontz" <hkoontz@...> wrote:

        > Curious to know if anyone has tried Picturenaut -
        > http://www.hdrlabs.com/picturenaut/index.html - and if they care to
        comment
        > regarding the features/benefits/downfalls vs. other HDR tonemappers
        such as
        > Photomatix, etc.?
        >
        > Best regards,
        >
        > Hoyle Koontz

      • hoylekoontz
        Message 3 of 28 , Oct 29, 2007
          Wow - I initially checked the site out using Firefox, so I didn't get
          this message. But when I checked it on my desktop's IE6, I did
          receive it! I can certainly see why you'd be turned off. I apologize
          for the inadvertent harassment!

          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Jakob Norstedt-Moberg"
          <jakob@...> wrote:

          > When I try to go to the page with IE 6 I get a very rude error message
          > telling me to upgrade or switch to another browser. It's not
          > professional so I wont try it again.
          >
          > Jakob
          >
          > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Hoyle Koontz" <hkoontz@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Curious to know if anyone has tried Picturenaut -
          > > http://www.hdrlabs.com/picturenaut/index.html - and if they care to
          > comment
          > > regarding the features/benefits/downfalls vs. other HDR tonemappers
          > such as
          > > Photomatix, etc.?
          > >
          > > Best regards,
          > >
          > > Hoyle Koontz

        • Sacha Griffin
          Message 4 of 28 , Oct 29, 2007
            I tried out the photoreceptor TM, It's really the first time I have achieved
            something I think looks good and it looks to be a now permanent part of my
            workflow.

            Sacha Griffin
            www.southern-digital.com
            www.seeit360.net
            www.ezphotosafe.com
            404-551-4275
            404-731-7798

            _____

            Message 5 of 28 , Oct 29, 2007
              Can't get the program to open properly, What am I doing wrong?
              Downloaded zip file, opened with winzip into a folder, double clicked picturenaut, opens as Picturenaut 2.12 Release, is this correct? Shouldn't it open and download as a program, Help!

              Thanks,
              Dan

              Curious to know if anyone has tried Picturenaut -

              http://www.hdrlabs <http://www.hdrlabs com/picturenaut/ index.html>

              com/picturenaut/ index.html - and if they care to comment

              regarding the features/benefits/ downfalls vs. other HDR tonemappers such as

              Photomatix, etc.?

              Best regards,

              Hoyle Koontz

              <!--

              #ygrp-mkp{
              #ygrp-mkp hr{
              border:1px solid #d8d8d8;}
              #ygrp-mkp #hd{
              #ygrp-mkp #ads{
              margin-bottom:10px;}
              #ygrp-mkp .ad{
              padding:0 0;}
              #ygrp-mkp .ad a{
              color:#0000ff;text-decoration:none;}
              -->

              <!--

              #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc{
              font-family:Arial;}
              #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc #hd{
              #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc .ad{
              margin-bottom:10px;padding:0 0;}
              -->

              <!--

              #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
              #ygrp-text{
              font-family:Georgia;
              }
              #ygrp-text p{
              margin:0 0 1em 0;}
              #ygrp-tpmsgs{
              font-family:Arial;
              clear:both;}
              #ygrp-vitnav{
              #ygrp-vitnav a{
              padding:0 1px;}
              #ygrp-actbar{
              #ygrp-actbar .left{
              float:left;white-space:nowrap;}
              .bld{font-weight:bold;}
              #ygrp-grft{
              #ygrp-ft{
              padding:5px 0;
              }
              #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{
              padding-bottom:10px;}

              #ygrp-vital{
              #ygrp-vital #vithd{
              #ygrp-vital ul{
              padding:0;margin:2px 0;}
              #ygrp-vital ul li{
              }
              #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{
              #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
              font-weight:bold;}
              #ygrp-vital a{
              text-decoration:none;}

              #ygrp-vital a:hover{
              text-decoration:underline;}

              #ygrp-sponsor #hd{
              color:#999;font-size:77%;}
              #ygrp-sponsor #ov{
              #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
              padding:0 0 0 8px;margin:0;}
              #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
              #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
              text-decoration:none;font-size:130%;}
              #ygrp-sponsor #nc{
              #ygrp-sponsor .ad{
              padding:8px 0;}
              #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{
              #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
              text-decoration:none;}
              #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{
              text-decoration:underline;}
              #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{
              margin:0;}
              o{font-size:0;}
              .MsoNormal{
              margin:0 0 0 0;}
              #ygrp-text tt{
              font-size:120%;}
              blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;}
              .replbq{margin:4;}
              -->

            • Victor
              Message 6 of 28 , Oct 29, 2007
                Did you unzip it with subdirectories or all the files lumped together.
                You need to keep the subdirectory structure intact.

                > Can't get the program to open properly, What am I doing wrong?
                > Downloaded zip file, opened with winzip into a folder, double
                > clicked picturenaut, opens as Picturenaut 2.12 Release, is this
                > correct? Shouldn't it open and download as a program, Help!

                Victor Z
              • Fung Yu
                Message 7 of 28 , Oct 29, 2007
                  Dear Friends,

                  A while back I shot an interior exhibit of a graduating class
                  on interior design. The exhibit centers on 19 booths that
                  make use of Philippine raw material and furnitures as its
                  theme. The event also coincides with the 40th anniversary
                  of the school, the title of the exhibit is aptly name F3.

                  http://inquirerbloggers.net/househunter/2007/10/29/f3-forty-filipino-and-fabulous/

                  Enjoy! :-)
                • qsecofr88888
                  Message 8 of 28 , Oct 30, 2007
                    the link seems invalid

                    --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Fung Yu <fung@...> wrote:

                    > Dear Friends,
                    >
                    > A while back I shot an interior exhibit of a graduating class
                    > on interior design. The exhibit centers on 19 booths that
                    > make use of Philippine raw material and furnitures as its
                    > theme. The event also coincides with the 40th anniversary
                    > of the school, the title of the exhibit is aptly name F3.
                    >
                    > http://inquirerbloggers.net/househunter/2007/10/29/f3-forty-filipino-
                    and-fabulous/

                    > Enjoy! :-)

                  • Fung Yu
                    Message 9 of 28 , Oct 30, 2007
                      Yeah...the news site was down for a while this afternoon.
                      It's up now.

                      Regards,

                      At 04:51 PM 10/30/2007, you wrote:

                      >the link seems invalid
                      >
                      >--- In
                      ><mailto:PanoToolsNG%40yahoogroups.com>PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com,
                      >Fung Yu <fung@...> wrote:
                      > >

                      > > Dear Friends,
                      > >
                      > > A while back I shot an interior exhibit of a graduating class
                      > > on interior design. The exhibit centers on 19 booths that
                      > > make use of Philippine raw material and furnitures as its
                      > > theme. The event also coincides with the 40th anniversary
                      > > of the school, the title of the exhibit is aptly name F3.
                      > >

                      > <http://inquirerbloggers.net/househunter/2007/10/29/f3-forty-filipino->http://inquirerbloggers.net/househunter/2007/10/29/f3-forty-filipino-
                      >and-fabulous/
                      > >
                      > > Enjoy! :-)

                    • Klaus Hilsenbeck
                      Message 10 of 28 , Oct 30, 2007
                        Photo Man <groundhog202_2000@...> wrote:

                        > Can't get the program to open properly
                        > ..opens as Picturenaut 2.12 Release, is this correct?
                        > Shouldn't it open and download as a program, Help!

                        The progr. does'nt have to be installed.
                        Just unzip to any location you want, double-click picturenaut.exe ->
                        there it is!
                        Next step: generate HDR or open existing one (file-menu).
                        Then tonemapp.....
                        Saludos, Klaus
                      • Andrei Bodrov
                        Message 11 of 28 , Oct 30, 2007
                          Hi all,

                          I just posted panoramas from my Turkey trip.

                          http://www.360pano.eu/turkey/

                          Demre region:
                          - The church of St. Nicholas at Myra.
                          - Roman theatre of Myra.
                          - Rock-cut tombs of the ancient Lycian necropolis.

                          Alanya region:
                          - The antique site of Mahmutlar.
                          - Dim Cavern.

                          Antalya region:
                          - Riva Diva Exclusive Hotel, Lara (my choice for WWP907)

                          I hope it will be interesting for you too.

                          with best regards,
                          Andrei Bodrov

                          --
                          http://www.360pano.eu/
                        • Sacha Griffin
                          Message 12 of 28 , Oct 30, 2007
                            Very good vr. Thanks for sharing. Too bad the referring website anchors the
                            thumbnail image to itself. Many people may not even know what is going on.

                            Awesome subject material.

                            Sacha Griffin
                            www.southern-digital.com
                            www.seeit360.net
                            www.ezphotosafe.com
                            404-551-4275
                            404-731-7798

                            _____

                            A while back I shot an interior exhibit of a graduating class
                            on interior design. The exhibit centers on 19 booths that
                            make use of Philippine raw material and furnitures as its
                            theme. The event also coincides with the 40th anniversary
                            of the school, the title of the exhibit is aptly name F3.

                            http://inquirerblog
                            <http://inquirerbloggers.net/househunter/2007/10/29/f3-forty-filipino-and-fa
                            bulous/> gers.net/househunter/2007/10/29/f3-forty-filipino-and-fabulous/

                            Enjoy! :-)

                          • Photo Man
                            Message 13 of 28 , Oct 30, 2007
                              Yes, I unzipped it with all the subdirectories into a folder. Then I clicked on the Picturenaut icon and up came a window named Picturenaut 2.12 release. Opened seven images individually but could not do anything. What do I need to do next?

                              Thanks for your help!

                              Dan

                              Message 14 of 28 , Oct 30, 2007
                                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Photo Man <groundhog202_2000@...>
                                wrote:

                                > Yes, I unzipped it with all the subdirectories into a folder. Then I
                                clicked on the Picturenaut icon and up came a window named Picturenaut
                                2.12 release. Opened seven images individually but could not do
                                anything. What do I need to do next?

                                > Thanks for your help!
                                >
                                > Dan

                                Okay, you're getting there. Pull down "File" menu and select
                                "Generate HDRI". Push the "Add" button to pull in the bracketed
                                images. Push "OK" and you're off. A 32bit HDR image will be created
                                using default options. From there, the "Image" menu will get you into
                                the tone-mapping section. The "Filter" menu will apply a variety of
                                effects based on the filters you've loaded.

                                There are lots of options available at all of these various stages,
                                but that's meat for a much longer discussion. With the above, you
                                should at least be able to start experimenting.

                                Victor
                              • Photo Man
                                Message 15 of 28 , Oct 30, 2007
                                  Thanks again, Victor

                                  Pulling down the file menu, I only see, New, Open, Close, Save, Save As and Exit. What else am I missing?

                                  Dan

                                  Message 16 of 28 , Oct 30, 2007
                                    Thanks Sacha, I kinda felt awkward about them as well. I've requested
                                    the hyperlinks to be remove already.

                                    Cheers!

                                    At 09:09 PM 10/30/2007, you wrote:

                                    >Very good vr. Thanks for sharing. Too bad the referring website anchors the
                                    >thumbnail image to itself. Many people may not even know what is going on.
                                    >
                                    >Awesome subject material.
                                    >
                                    >Sacha Griffin
                                    >Southern Digital Solutions LLC - Atlanta, Georgia
                                    >www.southern-digital.com
                                    >www.seeit360.net
                                    >www.ezphotosafe.com
                                    >404-551-4275
                                    >404-731-7798
                                    >
                                    >_____
                                  • Victor
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Oct 30, 2007
                                      wrote:

                                      > Thanks again, Victor
                                      >
                                      > Pulling down the file menu, I only see, New, Open, Close, Save, Save
                                      As and Exit. What else am I missing?

                                      Dan,

                                      Are we talking about the same program??? With nothing else on the
                                      screen, i.e., just start the program, when I pull down the "File" menu
                                      I see:

                                      Generate HDRI...
                                      Open...
                                      Close <<------- grayed out
                                      Save <<------- grayed out
                                      Save As... <<------- grayed out
                                      Exit

                                      Here's a screen shot of the File Menu on my end.

                                      http://www.zaveduk.com/misc/cap.jpg

                                      Message 18 of 28 , Oct 30, 2007
                                        Victor,

                                        I've attached my screen shot and it does not show
                                        Generate HDRI...
                                        Strange, any ideas?

                                        Danny

                                        Message 19 of 28 , Oct 30, 2007
                                          wrote:

                                          > Victor,
                                          >
                                          > I've attached my screen shot and it does not show
                                          > Generate HDRI...
                                          > Strange, any ideas?

                                          Dan,

                                          I do not see any image attached ... either in email or viewing the
                                          message directly in Yahoo Groups.

                                          Perhaps you can upload the image to the "files" or "photo" section of
                                          the group? I've never used that function, so I can't really advise
                                          you on it but it seems like it would be easy enough.

                                          Victor
                                        • Photo Man
                                          Message 20 of 28 , Oct 30, 2007
                                            Trying the attachment again

                                            Message 21 of 28 , Oct 30, 2007
                                              You won't be able to send an attachment through the mailing list.
                                              You may be best to email him direct.
                                              His email addy should be in your from field: yahoo@zave...

                                              Cheers,
                                              Darren.

                                              Message 22 of 28 , Oct 30, 2007
                                                I sent it to files, under the name "Picturenaut Screen shot 2

                                                Message 23 of 28 , Oct 30, 2007
                                                  wrote:

                                                  > I sent it to files, under the name "Picturenaut Screen shot 2

                                                  Dan,

                                                  Okay, see your screenshot and, frankly, I haven't a clue. As you can
                                                  see from mine, we're clearly looking at different animals.

                                                  Unless "New" takes you to a window that looks like this one:

                                                  Generate HDRI Screen <http://www.zaveduk.com/misc/cap2.jpg>

                                                  ... which is where mine goes if I tell it to create a new HDRI image,
                                                  then I'm stumped. You'll have to contact the program developer to
                                                  answer that. Sorry.

                                                  Victor

                                                • Andrey Ilyin
                                                  Message 24 of 28 , Oct 30, 2007
                                                    My impression from Picturenaut is very positive - easily produced
                                                    naturally looking image, similar would require a lot of play with
                                                    Photomatix of FDRTools.

                                                    The only feature I (and any VR photographer, I guess) miss is batch
                                                    processing.

                                                    Andrey
                                                  • ptgroup
                                                    Message 25 of 28 , Oct 31, 2007
                                                      I just downloaded PICTURENAUT and the meu is
                                                      just like Victor said.
                                                      Version: 2.12 Build 0612 Date: 6.8.2007
                                                      Different Versions ?
                                                      What does the forum say ?
                                                      Ciao
                                                      Mike

                                                      -----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----

                                                      Message 26 of 28 , Oct 31, 2007
                                                        Victor,

                                                        Thanks for your time in trying to help me out. I will contact them and get some answers.

                                                        Dan

                                                        > I sent it to files, under the name "Picturenaut Screen shot 2

                                                        Dan,

                                                        Okay, see your screenshot and, frankly, I haven't a clue. As you can

                                                        see from mine, we're clearly looking at different animals.

                                                        Unless "New" takes you to a window that looks like this one:

                                                        Generate HDRI Screen <http://www.zaveduk com/misc/ cap2.jpg>

                                                        ... which is where mine goes if I tell it to create a new HDRI image,

                                                        then I'm stumped. You'll have to contact the program developer to

> [...]

                                                      • Bernhard Vogl
                                                        Message 27 of 28 , Nov 1, 2007
                                                          Menu:
                                                          The strange thing is, that your menu is named differently than the one
                                                          from the version i downloaded some minutes ago (Mine has a date of
                                                          "6.9.2007")
                                                          My menu entry reads "Generate HDRI..." yours "New...". Maybe there was a
                                                          short time where a wrong build version was uploaded to the website? Then
                                                          it may help to download the version again.

                                                          Batch processing:
                                                          Is is possible to batch process as long as you aren't afraid of using a
                                                          command line. Look in the "bin" subdirectory where you unzipped
                                                          picturenaut, e.g. "C:\Program Files\picturenaut\bin" - there are several
                                                          useful command line tools.
                                                          All programs can be called with the "-?" parameter to learn more about
                                                          possible options.
                                                          "mkhdri.exe" will generate the HDR from a set of LDR images.
                                                          "hdri2ldri.exe" will map down to LDR using the adaptive logarithmic
                                                          algorithm.
                                                          "pptmo.exe" will map down to LDR using the adaptive photoreceptor algorithm.
                                                          "tiif2jpeg.exe" tiff to jpeg conversion tool

                                                          Simple command line usage example to generate and tonemap a HDRI:
                                                          mkhdri.exe -out:result.hdr image1.tif image2.tif image3.tif
                                                          pptmo.exe result.hdr tonemapped.tif

                                                          Here is a starting point for a convinient drag&drop workflow (i
                                                          personally love to work that way):
                                                          In the directory where the above .exe files reside, create a file
                                                          "convert.bat" with the following contents:
                                                          ---snip---
                                                          cd %~dp0
                                                          mkhdri.exe -out:%~dpn1.hdr %*
                                                          pptmo.exe %~dpn1.hdr %~dpn1_tonemapped.tif
                                                          ---snip--
                                                          Now you can drag your source LDR brackets onto the batch file.
                                                          After processing, you will find 2 new files in your source image
                                                          directory, named after the first input image: The generated .hdr file
                                                          and a simple tonemapped version with a "_tonemapped" appendix... eg. you
                                                          dragged "image1.tif image2.tif image3.tif" onto the batch. The result
                                                          are 2 files: "image1.hdr" and "image1_tonemapped.tif".

                                                          Best regards
                                                          Bernhard

                                                          Message 28 of 28 , Nov 2, 2007
                                                            On Monday, October 29, 2007 at 14:29, Hoyle Koontz wrote:

                                                            > Curious to know if anyone has tried Picturenaut -
                                                            > http://www.hdrlabs.com/picturenaut/index.html - and if they care to comment
                                                            > regarding the features/benefits/downfalls vs. other HDR tonemappers such as
                                                            > Photomatix, etc.?

                                                            See a comparison on the wiki:
                                                            http://wiki.panotools.org/HDR_Software_overview

                                                            best regards