[PanoToolsNG] WiiRemote for panorama playback control

  • Carel
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 29, 2007
      You may ask "Why?!" It would be mainly for demonstrations where one wants to
      position the client at the best angle in front of the screen and at the same
      time stay in control of the interface without having to hover over the
      person, while trying to use the mousepad:
      http://www.sphericalpanoramas.com/WiiRemote.html
      The WiiRemote can be used on PC, Linux and OS X. For this demo I used Remote
      Buddy, a WiiRemote GUI for the Mac.

      Carel Struycken
    • dorindxn
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 29, 2007
        Hi Carel, another way is to use Pinnacle PCTV remote (sold also
        separatelly from PCTV kit)

        Is a TV-Tuner remote it's look like this
        http://img.rueducommerce.fr/numerique/images/produits/info/xl/PINNACLE-REMOTE.jpg

        With the availlble free software
        http://sourceforge.net/projects/pctv-remote

        can be configured that to any key on it to set-up a speciffic key
        sequence to any application and even mouse movements, for example you
        can even configure that to send
        shift key down, press arrow left, then wait 5 secconds, then release
        arrow left, and release shift key, all to be sent to Media Player.. so
        on.. is very powerfull, realy gives remote control of your PC.
        Notes works under Windows and requires, AFAIK, a serial port (com) not
        USB.

        here is an example of congiguration for two multimedia application
        ProgDVB an WinDVD

        [ProgDVB]
        key63+={sendkeys("UP+^UP")}
        key59+={sendkeys("RIGHT+^RIGHT")}
        key62+={sendkeys("DOWN+^DOWN")}
        key61+={sendkeys("LEFT+^LEFT")}
        key27+={sendkeys("ADD+^ADD+ADD+^ADD+ADD+^ADD")}
        key15+={sendkeys("SUBTRACT+^SUBTRACT+SUBTRACT+^SUBTRACT+SUBTRACT+^SUBTRACT")}
        key26={sendkeys("ENTER+^ENTER")}
        key29={sendkeys("l+^l")}
        key37={sendkeys("a+^a")}
        key25={sendkeys("n+^n")}
        key60={sendkeys("m+^m")}
        key45={sendkeys("f+^f")}
        key39={sendkeys("r+^r")}
        key43={sendkeys("i+^i")}
        key47={sendkeys("LALT+F4+^F4+^LALT")}
        key22={sendkeys("w+^w")}
        key19={sendkeys("n+^n")}

        [InterVideo WinDVD 4]
        key27+={sendkeys("RSHIFT+UP+^UP+^RSHIFT")}
        key15+={sendkeys("RSHIFT+DOWN+^DOWN+^RSHIFT")}
        key23={sendkeys("LSHIFT+ADD+^ADD+^LSHIFT")}
        key28={sendkeys("LSHIFT+SUBTRACT+^SUBTRACT+^LSHIFT")}
        key21={mousebtns("RIGHT+^RIGHT");sendkeys("DOWN+^DOWN");sleep("150");sendkeys("DOWN+^DOWN");sendkeys("ENTER+^ENTER");
        }
        key19={sendkeys("CTRL+q+^q+^CTRL")}
        key22={sendkeys("CTRL+b+^b+^CTRL")}
        key37={sendkeys("a+^a")}
        key29={mousebtns("RIGHT+^RIGHT")}
        key60={sendkeys("m+^m")}
        key45={sendkeys("z+^z")}
        key47={sendkeys("LALT+F4+^F4+^LALT")}
        key7={sendkeys("f+^f")}
        key14={sendkeys("r+^r")}

        in left side are the codes from remote keys and after equal sign are
        the key sent to application "^f" mean release key f

        Dorin

        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Carel <cs@...> wrote:

        > You may ask "Why?!" It would be mainly for demonstrations where one
        wants to
        > position the client at the best angle in front of the screen and at
        the same
        > time stay in control of the interface without having to hover over the
        > person, while trying to use the mousepad:
        > http://www.sphericalpanoramas.com/WiiRemote.html
        > The WiiRemote can be used on PC, Linux and OS X. For this demo I
        used Remote
        > Buddy, a WiiRemote GUI for the Mac.
        >
        > Carel Struycken

      • Hans Nyberg
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 29, 2007
          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "dorindxn" <Dorin@...> wrote:

          > Hi Carel, another way is to use Pinnacle PCTV remote (sold also
          > separatelly from PCTV kit)

          My Bluetooth Mac Mouse and a book works just fine. No need for a special Remote.
          I used it at up to 8 m from my MacBook Pro and it works fine.

          You can turn around while you use it and as long as you keep the mouse on the book, curser
          stays at place.

          Hans
        • Jim Watters
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 29, 2007
            Hans Nyberg wrote:
            > My Bluetooth Mac Mouse and a book works just fine.
            > I used it at up to 8 m from my MacBook Pro and it works fine.
            >
            > You can turn around while you use it and as long as you keep the mouse on the book, curser
            > stays at place.
            >
            > Hans
            Do away with the book with this mod for wireless optical mice.
            http://www.patrickbaudisch.com/projects/soap/index.html

            --
            Jim Watters

            jwatters @ photocreations . ca
            http://photocreations.ca
          • PanoToolsNG.10.m8@spamgourmet.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 29, 2007
              I'm not sure what variables that "Remote Buddy" give you to monitor,
              but if you were to monitor the accelerometers of the wiiremote, you could do
              away with the tealight,
              and use, for example, a twist of the remote(like turning an egg over) to
              pan, and dip/raise your remote to pitch up and down.

              Cheers,
              Darren.

              )You may ask "Why?!" It would be mainly for demonstrations
              )where one wants to position the client at the best angle in
              )front of the screen and at the same time stay in control of
              )the interface without having to hover over the person, while
              )trying to use the mousepad:
              )http://www.sphericalpanoramas.com/WiiRemote.html
              )The WiiRemote can be used on PC, Linux and OS X. For this demo
              )I used Remote Buddy, a WiiRemote GUI for the Mac.
              )
              )Carel Struycken

              Checked by AVG Free Edition.
              11:02
            • Carel
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 29, 2007
                PanoToolsNG.10.m8 wrote:

                > I'm not sure what variables that "Remote Buddy" give you to monitor,
                > but if you were to monitor the accelerometers of the wiiremote, you could
                > do
                > away with the tealight,
                > and use, for example, a twist of the remote(like turning an egg over) to
                > pan, and dip/raise your remote to pitch up and down.
                >
                > Cheers,
                > Darren.

                Yes, I have tried that too. But it is not as responsive as the reference IR.
                Same reason why IR is often used for Wii games I guess. Instead of the tea
                light I now use an IR LED device the size of a bar of chocolate. And yes,
                Hans is right. A Bluetooth mouse works pretty smooth too, but does not have
                the same "Wow factor" :-)

                Carel

              • Henri Smeets
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 30, 2007
                  Nice idea, I'm gonna try it for sure.

                  I've been in contact with the makers of CubicNavigator about their built-in
                  (but disabled) support for the motion sensor built into MacBooks. So far no
                  response unfortunately.

                  Now, if someone would come up with a VR-viewer for the iPhone with it's
                  buit-in motion sensor, THAT would have a huge Wow-factor!
                • dmgalpha
                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 31, 2007
                    --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Carel <cs@...> wrote:

                    > You may ask "Why?!" It would be mainly for demonstrations where one
                    wants to
                    > position the client at the best angle in front of the screen and at
                    the same
                    > time stay in control of the interface without having to hover over the
                    > person, while trying to use the mousepad:
                    > http://www.sphericalpanoramas.com/WiiRemote.html
                    > The WiiRemote can be used on PC, Linux and OS X. For this demo I
                    used Remote
                    > Buddy, a WiiRemote GUI for the Mac.
                    >
                    > Carel Struycken
                    > --

                    Carel,

                    The WiiR cannot measure yaw without the infrared emitter. And it uses
                    accelerometers, not inclinometers.

                    Having said that, there are already device drivers for the WiiR. They
                    could be integrated easily (as long as the license allows it) with any
                    panorama browser.

                    My opinion (having some experience integrating the WiiR with OS X) is
                    that you are better off with one of those remove control
                    mouse-with-a-laser pointer.

                    --
                    dmg