OT: animated gifs + palettes in cs 3

  • Juergen Schrader
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 28, 2007
      hi group,

      maybe there is someone out there who had the same problem (and
      hopefully can direct me to a solution within ps).

      from time to time there is someone who wants a banner or anything the
      like that should be done as an animated gif.

      no problem, cs3 has the perfect tools for it. almost.

      the problem are palettes. i thought that in these times palettes are
      not an issue any more. but i was very surprised that photoshop only
      uses one global palette for any number of frames in an animation.
      which of course may cause unwanted artifacts in the finall result due
      to color reduction.

      unbelievable to me, but i could find no way to use local palettes in
      cs 3 for animated gifs. so i had to save each individual frame as 8
      bit bitmap and use a separate tool to create an animated gif with the
      local palettes. works fine with a hand full of frames but can be a
      real pain in the back if there are lots of frames.

      thanks for your assistance :)