Object Movies/Panos Full

  • verifone411
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 25, 2007
      I have done object panos either as gifs, qtvr and flash however I have
      come across a situation where someone wants me to take pictures of the
      undersides and tops of saddles as well. Software packages? meh

      Does anyone have any suggestions?

      Thank you

      KieranMullen
    • John Riley
      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 25, 2007
        You need a 2-axis object rig to elevate the camera. With a really
        fancy one, you can shoot from underneath, supporting the object on a
        wire that gets taken out in post production. Alternatively, you can
        do your equatorial row and the upper hemisphere, then flip the object
        over and do the bottom hemisphere from the top too. Needless to say,
        that might increase the post work a bit, since the center of rotation
        is bound to be altered when you flip it.

        Actually, you don't have to have anything fancy for a rig. Tim
        Petros and John Greenleigh showed us their techniques at the IVRPA
        conference in Berkeley and most of what they use is fairly improvised
        and self-built. They both make amazing objects for big-time clients
        like Apple and movie/TV producers. Their talent with lighting,
        photography and photoshop makes a world of difference, much more so
        that a fancy rig.

        Software-wise: if you have a motorized Kaidan rig, VRWorx is great.
        You can control the rig with your computer (and the camera too, if
        you are lucky and motivated.) I have a Kaidan motorized single-row
        for travel (MDT-19) and 2-axis in the studio (C-60) that I run with
        VRWorx. Even if you use a manual or home-built rig, VRWorx is the
        way to go for QTVR objects.

        Let me know if I can be of any help to you.

        John

        John Riley
        johnriley@...
        jriley@...

        On Oct 25, 2007, at 6:57 PM, verifone411 wrote:

        > I have done object panos either as gifs, qtvr and flash however I have
        > come across a situation where someone wants me to take pictures of the
        > undersides and tops of saddles as well. Software packages? meh
        >
        > Does anyone have any suggestions?
        >
        > Thank you
        >
        > KieranMullen

      • Sacha Griffin
        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 25, 2007
          Your up and down flash buttons don't work.

          Pretty damn good for a cellphone I do say.

          Sacha Griffin
          www.southern-digital.com
          www.seeit360.net
          www.ezphotosafe.com
          404-551-4275
          404-731-7798

          _____

          johnriley@chesnet. <mailto:johnriley%40chesnet.net> net
          jriley@uscupstate. <mailto:jriley%40uscupstate.edu> edu

          On Oct 25, 2007, at 6:57 PM, verifone411 wrote:

          > I have done object panos either as gifs, qtvr and flash however I have
          > come across a situation where someone wants me to take pictures of the
          > undersides and tops of saddles as well. Software packages? meh
          >
          > Does anyone have any suggestions?
          >
          > Thank you
          >
          > KieranMullen

        • verifone411
          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 25, 2007
            Thank you I will check it out. Is it possible ot make a rig? How much
            are the rigs normally? I am seeing a couple grand to 10k?

            Is there any other software for windows besides VRWorx? The site
            doesnt inspire me at all "Site last updated August 12th, 2005"

            Thank you

            KM
          • jugstopper777
            Message 5 of 16 , Oct 26, 2007
              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "verifone411" <archive@...> wrote:

              > Thank you I will check it out. Is it possible ot make a rig? How much
              > are the rigs normally? I am seeing a couple grand to 10k?
              >
              > Is there any other software for windows besides VRWorx? The site
              > doesnt inspire me at all "Site last updated August 12th, 2005"
              >
              > Thank you
              >
              > KM

              Sure, it isn't too hard to make a reasonable rig with a "lazy susan" from a hardware store, a
              blank table top from Home Depot and some tools and a camera support.

              Even if the site hasn't been updated, the software works great for objects.
            • verifone411
              Message 6 of 16 , Oct 26, 2007
                Well I understand the need to have a platform and to have the object
                centered on that device, however it is the journey to the top that is
                the hard part and what the rigs are for right? I guess I could just do
                one cap shot of it.

                km
              • John Riley
                Message 7 of 16 , Oct 26, 2007
                  Usually, you want to move the camera along a vertical circular path
                  centered on the object. For example, you would take 36 shots at the
                  horizon, go up 10 degrees vertically and shoot 36, etc, until you get
                  to 90 degrees (straight up) and also take 36 there. One shot won't
                  do it; things aren't stitched together as in a pano. Really, you are
                  putting a series of images into a sequence with information in the
                  file about how many shots per row so that it know where to jump to
                  when you drag in a particular direction.

                  To position vertically, I made my own arm out of plywood. I drilled
                  a hole in the center to plance an anchor, then used a pencil and
                  string to trace out a couple of arcs and a (large) protractor to
                  measure angles of elevation. Cut it out, mount it to your table,
                  centered on your lazy suzan rotator and you are off to the races! It
                  worked surprisingly well and I could do a full half-hemisphere in
                  less time than you could imagine. Easy to screw up if you get bored
                  or distracted (miss an angle of rotation etc.) Plus, you have to
                  have a good way to make the rotation angles of the lazy susan
                  consistent for each vertical row or you get ugly jittering in the
                  object movie.

                  John

                  John Riley
                  johnriley@...
                  jriley@...

                  On Oct 26, 2007, at 4:13 PM, verifone411 wrote:

                  > Well I understand the need to have a platform and to have the object
                  > centered on that device, however it is the journey to the top that is
                  > the hard part and what the rigs are for right? I guess I could just do
                  > one cap shot of it.
                  >
                  > km

                • verifone411
                  Message 8 of 16 , Oct 26, 2007
                    You have a pic of yours? :-) Thanks

                    KM
                  • Alan Sharp
                    Message 9 of 16 , Oct 27, 2007
                      John,

                      Could you post a shot of your plywood rig? It sounds like something wonderfully doable and
                      easy to use.

                      Thanks,
                      Al Sharp
                    • Richard Smallfield
                      Message 10 of 16 , Oct 27, 2007
                        Hi,
                        http://picasaweb.google.com/rsmallfield/TheBackroadsOfWarkworth/photo#5126110509566788594

                        I've uploaded my latest panorama (see link above) ... I've had this problem before and don't know how to fix it - the power lines curve upwards, not downwards.

                        I'd like to fix it if possible, but can't think of a way to do it.

                        I don't want to remove them as I want to retain the integrity of the image.

                        Any ideas would be appreciated.

                        thanks,
                        Richard
                        --
                        Backroads Essay:
                        http://picasaweb.google.com/rsmallfield/TheBackroadsOfWarkworth

                        "You can love completely without complete understanding."
                        --Norman Maclean, 'A River Runs Through It'
                      • Sacha Griffin
                        Message 11 of 16 , Oct 27, 2007
                          That's the perspective point, and if you have the right pitch for your
                          scene, then the curvature of the power lines is "correct".

                          If you want to do it anyway, you can adjust the pitch output of the scene
                          until your power lines are ok, and then photoshop them in.

                          Another thing to do is to try alternative panotools projections. See the
                          wiki.panotools.org for detailed help on this.

                          Sacha Griffin
                          www.southern-digital.com
                          www.seeit360.net
                          www.ezphotosafe.com
                          404-551-4275
                          404-731-7798

                          _____

                          http://picasaweb.
                          <http://picasaweb.google.com/rsmallfield/TheBackroadsOfWarkworth>
                          google.com/rsmallfield/TheBackroadsOfWarkworth
                          Greeting Cards available for purchase:
                          http://picasaweb. <http://picasaweb.google.com/rsmallfield/GreetingCards>
                          google.com/rsmallfield/GreetingCards
                          http://photos. <http://photos.smallfield.vze.com> smallfield.vze.com
                          http://smallfield. <http://smallfield.vze.com> vze.com

                          Message 12 of 16 , Oct 27, 2007
                            Alas, I wish I could, but it got tossed out after I got my first
                            Kaidan rig. It really wasn't very hard to make. I bet you could do
                            it, no problem.

                            John

                            John Riley
                            johnriley@...
                            jriley@...

                            On Oct 27, 2007, at 10:46 AM, Alan Sharp wrote:

                            > John,
                            >
                            > Could you post a shot of your plywood rig? It sounds like something
                            > wonderfully doable and
                            > easy to use.
                            >
                            > Thanks,
                            > Al Sharp

                          • Paul D. DeRocco
                            Message 13 of 16 , Oct 27, 2007
                              > From: Sacha Griffin
                              >
                              > That's the perspective point, and if you have the right pitch
                              > for your scene, then the curvature of the power lines is "correct".
                              >
                              > If you want to do it anyway, you can adjust the pitch output
                              > of the scene until your power lines are ok, and then
                              > photoshop them in.
                              >
                              > Another thing to do is to try alternative panotools
                              > projections. See the wiki.panotools.org for detailed help on this.

                              This is what happens with cylindrical projections. I rather wish there was a
                              slider for moving the axis of the cylinder to a point behind the viewer,
                              where moving it back to infinity would be equivalent to rectangular. This
                              would allow you to choose the trade-off between the odd-looking curves of
                              cylindrical, versus the grossly stretched sides and corners of a really wide
                              rectangular.

                              --

                              Ciao, Paul D. DeRocco
                              Paul mailto:pderocco@...
                              Message 14 of 16 , Oct 28, 2007
                                At 05:51 PM Sunday 10/28/2007, you wrote:
                                >This is what happens with cylindrical projections. I rather wish there was a
                                >slider for moving the axis of the cylinder to a point behind the viewer,
                                >where moving it back to infinity would be equivalent to rectangular. This
                                >would allow you to choose the trade-off between the odd-looking curves of
                                >cylindrical, versus the grossly stretched sides and corners of a really wide
                                >rectangular.

                                Hi Paul,
                                it was Equirectangular ... I'm tempted to leave it as it is, because the eye isn't distracted and most people would never notice the distortion as the eye follows the road.

                                I'll have a play around though - there sure is a learning curve with panoramas.

                                thanks,
                                Richard
                                --
                                Backroads Essay:
                                http://picasaweb.google.com/rsmallfield/TheBackroadsOfWarkworth
                                Greeting Cards available for purchase:
                                http://picasaweb.google.com/rsmallfield/GreetingCards
                                http://photos.smallfield.vze.com
                                http://smallfield.vze.com

                                "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that
                                won't work."
                                --Thomas Alva Edison (1847-1931)
                              • John Houghton
                                Message 15 of 16 , Oct 28, 2007
                                  --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Richard Smallfield
                                  <r.smallfield@...> wrote:
                                  > I've had this problem before and don't know how to fix it - the power
                                  > lines curve upwards, not downwards.

                                  I think the problem is insoluble without cheating in some way. Using
                                  Photoshop, I suggest you just copy/paste a large selection and use Edit-
                                  >Transform->Warp.

                                  John
                                • Paul D. DeRocco
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Oct 28, 2007
                                    > From: Richard Smallfield
                                    >
                                    > it was Equirectangular ... I'm tempted to leave it as it is,
                                    > because the eye isn't distracted and most people would never
                                    > notice the distortion as the eye follows the road.
                                    >
                                    > I'll have a play around though - there sure is a learning
                                    > curve with panoramas.

                                    Sure, equirectangular (aka spherical) has the same problem. Only rectilinear
                                    (aka rectangular) has no distortion, when viewed on a flat surface.

                                    --

                                    Ciao, Paul D. DeRocco
                                    Paul mailto:pderocco@...