Sydney Harbour bridge -- pole panorama

  • panovrx
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 21, 2007
      http://www.mediavr.com/hbtop2007.htm

      Here is a pano I shot yesterday from the top of the Harbour Bridge.
      This time I had an assistant with me and was able to use a pole --
      The pano is from a short tower on top of the bridge, and then with a
      4m pole on top of that -- and I and my assistant/safety officer are
      standing in small cage on top of the tower. The main issues here were
      the confined space of the cage, making it difficult to get a clear
      nadir shot, so it is majorly fudged. I had the camera a bit forward
      of
      where it should be relative to the NPP so that I got less nadir
      obscuration by the pano head (ok for stitching here because the scale
      of the structure)

      It is shot with a 15mm Sigma on a 5D in two 8 shot rows, using one of
      my motorized heads to turn the camera from shot to shot. I am using a
      remote which gives 1 sec signals and this rotates the camera about 45
      degrees each time I press it.

      I took a bit of liberty with the number of bridge climbers all about -
      - there werent quite that many. :-)

      I will have to see if I can get another go when the light is less
      harsh.

      Peter
      www.mediavr.com/blog
    • Aaron Spence
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 22, 2007
        Breathtaking shot Peter, it looks a little like a poster for a musical
        with the bridge climbers all lined up an gesturing ;)

        How did you get permission for the shot?

        Thanks, Aaron.
        www.pano.com.au/blog
      • Juergen Schrader
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 22, 2007
          Yeah! Way cool, Peter.
          And significantly better then the first one [which of course you are
          not to be blamed for :)]

          Best
          Juergen

          > http://www.mediavr.com/hbtop2007.htm
          >
          > Here is a pano I shot yesterday from the top of the Harbour Bridge.
          > This time I had an assistant with me and was able to use a pole --
          > The pano is from a short tower on top of the bridge, and then with
          > 4m pole on top of that -- and I and my assistant/safety officer are
          > standing in small cage on top of the tower. The main issues here
          were
          > the confined space of the cage, making it difficult to get a clear
          > nadir shot, so it is majorly fudged. I had the camera a bit forward
          > of
          > where it should be relative to the NPP so that I got less nadir
          > obscuration by the pano head (ok for stitching here because the
          scale
          > of the structure)
          >
          > It is shot with a 15mm Sigma on a 5D in two 8 shot rows, using one
          of
          > my motorized heads to turn the camera from shot to shot. I am using
          > remote which gives 1 sec signals and this rotates the camera about
          45
          > degrees each time I press it.
          >
          > I took a bit of liberty with the number of bridge climbers all
          about -
          > - there werent quite that many. :-)
          >
          > I will have to see if I can get another go when the light is less
          > harsh.
          >
          > Peter
          > www.mediavr.com/blog

        • Bernd
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 22, 2007
            Hi Peter,

            that's another outstanding pano and work from you !!!
            Please, one question : What motorized head you used for this pano ?
            Or even can you show us here a small picture of your used head pole
            equipment ?

            In a thrill of anticipation for the next pano from you

            Bernd
            http://www.360bilder.de

            > http://www.mediavr.com/hbtop2007.htm
            >
            > Here is a pano I shot yesterday from the top of the Harbour Bridge.
            > This time I had an assistant with me and was able to use a pole --
            > The pano is from a short tower on top of the bridge, and then with
            > 4m pole on top of that -- and I and my assistant/safety officer are
            > standing in small cage on top of the tower. The main issues here
            were
            > the confined space of the cage, making it difficult to get a clear
            > nadir shot, so it is majorly fudged. I had the camera a bit forward
            > of
            > where it should be relative to the NPP so that I got less nadir
            > obscuration by the pano head (ok for stitching here because the
            scale
            > of the structure)
            >
            > It is shot with a 15mm Sigma on a 5D in two 8 shot rows, using one
            of
            > my motorized heads to turn the camera from shot to shot. I am using
            > remote which gives 1 sec signals and this rotates the camera about
            45
            > degrees each time I press it.
            >
            > I took a bit of liberty with the number of bridge climbers all
            about -
            > - there werent quite that many. :-)
            >
            > I will have to see if I can get another go when the light is less
            > harsh.
            >
            > Peter
            > www.mediavr.com/blog

          • Paul D. DeRocco
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 22, 2007
              > From: panovrx
              >
              > http://www.mediavr.com/hbtop2007.htm
              >
              > Here is a pano I shot yesterday from the top of the Harbour Bridge.
              > This time I had an assistant with me and was able to use a pole --
              > The pano is from a short tower on top of the bridge, and then with a
              > 4m pole on top of that -- and I and my assistant/safety officer are
              > standing in small cage on top of the tower. The main issues here were
              > the confined space of the cage, making it difficult to get a clear
              > nadir shot, so it is majorly fudged. I had the camera a bit forward
              > of
              > where it should be relative to the NPP so that I got less nadir
              > obscuration by the pano head (ok for stitching here because the scale
              > of the structure)
              >
              > It is shot with a 15mm Sigma on a 5D in two 8 shot rows, using one of
              > my motorized heads to turn the camera from shot to shot. I am using a
              > remote which gives 1 sec signals and this rotates the camera about 45
              > degrees each time I press it.
              >
              > I took a bit of liberty with the number of bridge climbers all about -
              > - there werent quite that many. :-)
              >
              > I will have to see if I can get another go when the light is less
              > harsh.

              Pretty spectacular. I can't imagine them letting ordinary folks climb the
              Golden Gate Bridge.

              The multitudes of bridge climbers do look a bit cloned, though. ;-)

              --

              Ciao, Paul D. DeRocco
              Paul mailto:pderocco@...
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 22, 2007
                Amazing Peter,

                > I took a bit of liberty with the number of bridge climbers all about -
                > - there werent quite that many. :-)

                I'm still trying to figure out how you fudged the climbers. Great job.

                Vivek
              • Andrei Zdetovetchi
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 22, 2007
                  Amazing shot!!!! I can hear the wind blowing in my ears ;)
                  I love it! :)

                  Best regards,
                  Andrei Zdetovetchi

                  the panoblogus - http://www.csvd.ro/panoblog/
                  flickr - http://www.flickr.com/photos/zdeto/
                  ---

                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 22, 2007
                    Incredible
                    Beautifull
                    Great shot
                    Congratulations Peter
                    and THANKS for sharing with us

                    AYRTON

                    On 10/22/07, panovrx <mediavr@...> wrote:
                    > http://www.mediavr.com/hbtop2007.htm
                    >
                    > Here is a pano I shot yesterday from the top of the Harbour Bridge.
                    > This time I had an assistant with me and was able to use a pole --
                    > The pano is from a short tower on top of the bridge, and then with a
                    > 4m pole on top of that -- and I and my assistant/safety officer are
                    > standing in small cage on top of the tower. The main issues here were
                    > the confined space of the cage, making it difficult to get a clear
                    > nadir shot, so it is majorly fudged. I had the camera a bit forward
                    > of
                    > where it should be relative to the NPP so that I got less nadir
                    > obscuration by the pano head (ok for stitching here because the scale
                    > of the structure)
                    >
                    > It is shot with a 15mm Sigma on a 5D in two 8 shot rows, using one of
                    > my motorized heads to turn the camera from shot to shot. I am using a
                    > remote which gives 1 sec signals and this rotates the camera about 45
                    > degrees each time I press it.
                    >
                    > I took a bit of liberty with the number of bridge climbers all about -
                    > - there werent quite that many. :-)
                    >
                    > I will have to see if I can get another go when the light is less
                    > harsh.
                    >
                    > Peter
                    > www.mediavr.com/blog

                    AYRTON 21-9982.6313 www.ayrton.com
                    Ladeira de Nossa Senhora, 214 / sl. 101 www.vrfolio.com
                    Outeiro da Glória - RJ - 22211-100 - Brasil www.vr-images.com
                    Panoramas do Rio de Janeiro www.rio360.com.br
                  • Dave 360texas.com
                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 22, 2007
                      Peter, BLEW MY SOCKS OFF !!! Exceptional work ! Part of any image
                      is understanding the photographers effort is making the image work !
                      Done Good Peter.. Excellent !!! I need another bourbon and branch
                      water after seeing that one...

                      > http://www.mediavr.com/hbtop2007.htm
                      >
                      > Here is a pano I shot yesterday from the top of the Harbour
                      Bridge.
                      > This time I had an assistant with me and was able to use a pole --
                      > The pano is from a short tower on top of the bridge, and then with
                      > 4m pole on top of that -- and I and my assistant/safety officer
                      are
                      > standing in small cage on top of the tower. The main issues here
                      were
                      > the confined space of the cage, making it difficult to get a clear
                      > nadir shot, so it is majorly fudged. I had the camera a bit
                      forward
                      > of
                      > where it should be relative to the NPP so that I got less nadir
                      > obscuration by the pano head (ok for stitching here because the
                      scale
                      > of the structure)
                      >
                      > It is shot with a 15mm Sigma on a 5D in two 8 shot rows, using one
                      of
                      > my motorized heads to turn the camera from shot to shot. I am
                      using a
                      > remote which gives 1 sec signals and this rotates the camera about
                      45
                      > degrees each time I press it.
                      >
                      > I took a bit of liberty with the number of bridge climbers all
                      about -
                      > - there werent quite that many. :-)
                      >
                      > I will have to see if I can get another go when the light is less
                      > harsh.
                      >
                      > Peter
                      > www.mediavr.com/blog

                    • munar64
                      Message 10 of 11 , Oct 24, 2007
                        for the first time and from montevideo, uruguay, amazing shot, thank
                        you for share with us this incredible pano.
                        eduardo lopez
                      • panovrx
                        Message 11 of 11 , Nov 4, 2007
                          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Bernd" <schuhdohrmann@...> wrote:

                          What motorized head you used for this pano ?
                          > Or even can you show us here a small picture of your used head pole
                          > equipment ?

                          > Bernd

                          this one -- and with the 15mm sigma here
                          http://www.mediavr.com/spinner4a.jpg

                          btw here is another pano I shot on the bridge a bit later
                          http://www.mediavr.com/hbmiddle2007.htm

                          Peter
                          www.mediavr.com/blog