Amber Fort Tour

  • Roger Berry
    Message 1 of 17 , Oct 19, 2007
      Hi all,
      I've been doing more work on my VR tour around India and would
      appreciate some feedback before I start adding thumbnail hotspots to
      all of the pages. Only some of the website is up now and my home page
      is still ugly, but I will have it looking good in time.

      This tour around the Amber Fort and into Jaipur is all working, just
      need to do some finishing touches, but not sure about going with the
      thumbnail hotspots. There is also a LQ (low quality) HQ (high
      quality) button so you can travel fast between panos and go to HQ if
      you want a better view or have a high speed system.
      http://www.indiavrtours.com/jaipur/elephants_morning4.html

      In about 4 weeks I will be back in India to do some more shooting.
      I hope to get some unusual panos, like riding on top of a bus loaded
      with people up there and getting a little motion blur off to the
      sides could be interesting.

      Cheers,
      Roger Berry
    • Vivek Dev Burman
      Message 2 of 17 , Oct 20, 2007
        Hello Roger,

        Love all your pano's and your DIY panoheads & other innovations.Please
        look me up if you come to Kolkata.

        I personally find thumbnails as hotspots disturb the beauty of your pano
        . They are also too small to know whats in them though they do vanish
        after pointing to them.

        I would also prefer not to have to scroll down for the whole page ( my
        display is 1024x768 on a 17"monitor).

        Bye
        Vivek
      • Roger Berry
        Message 3 of 17 , Oct 20, 2007
          Thanks Vivek,

          Here's a test where I made some changes. The hotspots turn on and off
          like normal and now expand on mouse over. The pano is also up a little
          higher on the page.
          http://www.indiavrtours.com/jaipur/test3.html

          Cheers,
          Roger Berry

          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Vivek Dev Burman <vdb123@...> wrote:

          > Hello Roger,
          >
          > Love all your pano's and your DIY panoheads & other innovations.Please
          > look me up if you come to Kolkata.
          >
          > I personally find thumbnails as hotspots disturb the beauty of your
          pano
          > . They are also too small to know whats in them though they do vanish
          > after pointing to them.
          >
          > I would also prefer not to have to scroll down for the whole page ( my
          > display is 1024x768 on a 17"monitor).
          >
          > Bye
          > Vivek

        • Vivek Dev Burman
          Message 4 of 17 , Oct 20, 2007
            Hi Roger,

            Even with expanding I can't make out what they are and I've seen those
            pano's before, so should have recognised them.

            And I still need to scroll to see the symbol details. Has the western
            world switched to 1280 x 1024 or higher. Here in India most are still
            800x600. I know its nice to have the pano fairly large on the page but
            since you have a full screen version maybe it could be made a little
            smaller ( maybe the height could be reduced). This is personal
            preference. I'm just lazy I guess.

            Bye,
            Vivek
          • AYRTON - avi
            Message 5 of 17 , Oct 20, 2007
              Roger ...
              I must say
              beautiful my friend
              Congratulations
              BTW: and the SOUND made it perfect for the experience !

              Ayrton

              On 10/20/07, Roger Berry <onezebra1@...> wrote:
              > Thanks Vivek,
              >
              > Here's a test where I made some changes. The hotspots turn on and off
              > like normal and now expand on mouse over. The pano is also up a little
              > higher on the page.
              > http://www.indiavrtours.com/jaipur/test3.html
              >
              > Cheers,
              > Roger Berry
              >

              > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Vivek Dev Burman <vdb123@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hello Roger,
              > >
              > > Love all your pano's and your DIY panoheads & other innovations.Please
              > > look me up if you come to Kolkata.
              > >
              > > I personally find thumbnails as hotspots disturb the beauty of your
              > pano
              > > . They are also too small to know whats in them though they do vanish
              > > after pointing to them.
              > >
              > > I would also prefer not to have to scroll down for the whole page ( my
              > > display is 1024x768 on a 17"monitor).
              > >
              > > Bye
              > > Vivek

              AYRTON 21-9982.6313 www.ayrton.com
              Ladeira de Nossa Senhora, 214 / sl. 101 www.vrfolio.com
              Outeiro da Glória - RJ - 22211-100 - Brasil www.vr-images.com
              Panoramas do Rio de Janeiro www.rio360.com.br
            • John Riley
              Message 6 of 17 , Oct 20, 2007
                On Oct 20, 2007, at 1:01 AM, Roger Berry wrote:

                > There is also a LQ (low quality) HQ (high
                > quality) button so you can travel fast between panos and go to HQ if
                > you want a better view or have a high speed system.

                Roger, I love you panos as always and like this tour design. A
                practical question: what are the relative file sizes (typically) for
                your low and high quality versions?

                John

                John Riley
                johnriley@...
                jriley@...

              • Roger Berry
                Message 7 of 17 , Oct 20, 2007
                  The low quality panos are done with 600x600 pix cubes. Avenger 500 KB
                  The high quality panos are done with 1200x1200 pix cubes. Avenger 2.3
                  MB
                  I also have super high quality done around 2320x2320 pix. Avenger
                  4.5 MB

                  The thumbnail photo hotspots are around 20 KB each.
                  Audio sound is around 120 KB

                  Add it all up and a low quality pano becomes about 700 KB

                  For the LQ ones I use CS3 and save to web. Looking at the numbers
                  above maybe I should be saving the HQ ones the same way?

                  Roger Berry

                  > Roger, I love you panos as always and like this tour design. A
                  > practical question: what are the relative file sizes (typically)
                  for
                  > your low and high quality versions?
                  >

                  > John
                  >

                  > John Riley
                  > johnriley@...
                  > jriley@...

                • AYRTON - avi
                  Message 8 of 17 , Oct 21, 2007
                    Roger,
                    would you mind share with us, how you achieved to add the ambient
                    sound to the FPP ?

                    Ayrton

                    On 10/21/07, Roger Berry <onezebra1@...> wrote:
                    > The low quality panos are done with 600x600 pix cubes. Avenger 500 KB
                    > The high quality panos are done with 1200x1200 pix cubes. Avenger 2.3
                    > MB
                    > I also have super high quality done around 2320x2320 pix. Avenger
                    > 4.5 MB
                    >
                    > The thumbnail photo hotspots are around 20 KB each.
                    > Audio sound is around 120 KB
                    >
                    > Add it all up and a low quality pano becomes about 700 KB
                    >
                    > For the LQ ones I use CS3 and save to web. Looking at the numbers
                    > above maybe I should be saving the HQ ones the same way?
                    >
                    > Roger Berry
                    >

                    > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, John Riley <johnriley@...> wrote:
                    > >

                    > > Roger, I love you panos as always and like this tour design. A
                    > > practical question: what are the relative file sizes (typically)
                    > for
                    > > your low and high quality versions?
                    > >

                    > > John
                    > >

                    > > John Riley
                    > > johnriley@...
                    > > jriley@...

                    AYRTON 21-9982.6313 www.ayrton.com
                    Ladeira de Nossa Senhora, 214 / sl. 101 www.vrfolio.com
                    Outeiro da Glória - RJ - 22211-100 - Brasil www.vr-images.com
                    Panoramas do Rio de Janeiro www.rio360.com.br
                  • Bruce Hemming
                    Message 9 of 17 , Oct 21, 2007
                      Excellent work Roger, a fine example of how a tour should work. If
                      I'm being really picky I would say that the position and size of the
                      button bar isn't quite right. It should either fit within the main
                      frame or go above it. On fullscreen on my IMac 24" the quality isn't
                      really there, but I think that is more related to Flash than anything
                      else - but then I'm useless at this sort of thing and rely entirely
                      on Pleinpot and RapidWeaver, so what do I know.

                      I'm really looking forward to seeing the finished site - andmore camels.

                      Best

                      Bruce

                      Bruce Hemming
                      Bruce Hemming Photography
                      Tel: +44 (0)1580 200277
                      Mobile: +44 (0)7974 918414
                      e-Mail: bruce@...

                    • Roger Berry
                      Message 10 of 17 , Oct 21, 2007
                        Sorry all.
                        I made a error saying that I was using 1200pix cubes, they are
                        1600pix cubes.

                        > The low quality panos are done with 600x600 pix cubes. Avenger 500
                        KB
                        > The high quality panos are done with 1200x1200 pix cubes. Avenger
                        2.3
                        > MB

                        I have also been adding some new info popups using PNG photos that
                        are around 90KB in size.

                        Hi Ayrton,
                        This is the XML code I'm using for the MP3 player hotspot.

                        <!-- MUSIC HOTSPOTS -->

                        <spot id="music1" url="files/mp3player.swf?
                        file=files/elephants.mp3&height=20&width=180&autostart=true&backcolor=
                        0x000000&frontcolor=0xFFFFFF&lightcolor=0xCC0000" visible="1"
                        static="1" salign="BC" staticX="120.00" staticY="-18.00" depth="37"
                        scale="1.30" alpha="0.7" scaleable="0" brightness="-0.1"
                        contrast="1.5" blendMode="lighten"

                        onOver="brightness=.05,100; alpha=1,100"
                        onOut="brightness=.05; brightness=-0.3,100; alpha=.7,100"

                        />

                        Roger Berry
                      • AYRTON - avi
                        Message 11 of 17 , Oct 21, 2007
                          On 10/21/07, Roger Berry <onezebra1@...> wrote:

                          THANK YOU Roger !!!
                          I'm gonna try it.
                          I bought FPP, but I'm like Hans Nyberg said, completely stuck without
                          a GUI for it :-)

                          I'm trying to learn the codes.

                          Thanks again

                          AYRTON

                          Message 12 of 17 , Oct 21, 2007
                            Hi Bruce,

                            I originally rescaled those buttons down with Photoshop; at the time
                            I didn't know that I could just rescale them with the XML code. Also
                            when rescaling the image down with XML the quaintly improves on the
                            smaller size.

                            I agree that my buttons can be a little hard to see, check out this
                            page where they get larger on mouse over.
                            http://www.indiavrtours.com/pushkar/fair4.html

                            If I get some good feedback I will change them all this way.

                            Thanks for looking,
                            Roger Berry

                            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Hemming <bruce@...> wrote:

                            > Excellent work Roger, a fine example of how a tour should work.
                            If
                            > I'm being really picky I would say that the position and size of
                            the
                            > button bar isn't quite right. It should either fit within the
                            main
                            > frame or go above it. On fullscreen on my IMac 24" the quality
                            isn't
                            > really there, but I think that is more related to Flash than
                            anything
                            > else - but then I'm useless at this sort of thing and rely
                            entirely
                            > on Pleinpot and RapidWeaver, so what do I know.
                            >
                            > I'm really looking forward to seeing the finished site - andmore
                            camels.

                            > Best
                            >
                            > Bruce
                            >
                            > Bruce Hemming
                            > Bruce Hemming Photography
                            > Tel: +44 (0)1580 200277
                            > Mobile: +44 (0)7974 918414
                            > e-Mail: bruce@...

                          • Roger Berry
                            Message 13 of 17 , Oct 21, 2007
                              Hi Ayrton,

                              Before you start pounding your head against the wall saying why won't
                              this work, like I have been doing for the past few weeks trying to
                              learn FPP. Maybe I should tell you, I could not get the MP3 player
                              working that came with FPP.
                              I ended up getting a different copy that may have been modified, and
                              it works!

                              Roger Berry

                              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "AYRTON - avi" <avi@...> wrote:

                              > On 10/21/07, Roger Berry <onezebra1@...> wrote:
                              >
                              > THANK YOU Roger !!!
                              > I'm gonna try it.
                              > I bought FPP, but I'm like Hans Nyberg said, completely stuck
                              without
                              > a GUI for it :-)
                              >
                              > I'm trying to learn the codes.
                              >
                              > Thanks again
                              >
                              > AYRTON

                            • Roger Berry
                              Message 14 of 17 , Oct 28, 2007
                                I got more work done to my VR tour, see what you think.
                                I still plan on adding some more panos, photos, audio, small flash
                                slideshows and video clips too. You will see 3 photos of elephants
                                down in the lake, I plan on adding some more photos and making it a
                                slideshow along with a few others.
                                http://www.indiavrtours.com/jaipur/elephants_morning4.html

                                Next time you see the full moon in the sky, I will be at the Pushkar
                                Camel Fair in India.

                                Cheers,
                                Roger Berry
                              • dalileis
                                Message 15 of 17 , Oct 28, 2007
                                  This one?

                                  http://flashpanoramas.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2046&postcount=30

                                  --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Roger Berry" <onezebra1@...> wrote:

                                  > Hi Ayrton,
                                  >
                                  > Before you start pounding your head against the wall saying why won't
                                  > this work, like I have been doing for the past few weeks trying to
                                  > learn FPP. Maybe I should tell you, I could not get the MP3 player
                                  > working that came with FPP.
                                  > I ended up getting a different copy that may have been modified, and
                                  > it works!
                                  >
                                  > Roger Berry
                                • Carel
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Oct 28, 2007
                                    Hi Roger,

                                    Always a pleasure to look at your India panos. This tour is coming together
                                    beautifully! A few remarks:

                                    With the smaller version of the panos some of the hotspots are very hard to
                                    see. When viewing the panos in full screen the thumbnails are more visible,
                                    but even so, I could not find my way out of the elephant stables and had to
                                    start over (this was also because I did not realize that one has to turn the
                                    hotspots on for each pano searately). There are many people who dont even
                                    realize they can interact with a panorama. The percentage of people who are
                                    comfortable with hotspots must be even smaller. So maybe add thumbnails or
                                    text links at the bottom...? With this particular tour, a little map would
                                    also be great. Any panos upcoming from the inside of the fort, for instance
                                    the room with mirror mosaics?

                                    How do you compress your flash panos? 2.5MB for 1600x1600 cube faces seems a
                                    bit high. It helps to compress the nadir the most drastically and the sky to
                                    a level just above where it starts to show banding. Pano2vr now allows
                                    separate compression settings for the cubefaces. When using Flashpanoramas I
                                    compress the cubefaces separately with another utility.

                                    Would it be possible to have a global setting for sound on/off and same for
                                    hotspots ? Now one has to turn hotspots on/off and sound off/on with each
                                    panorama.

                                    Carel
                                  • Roger Berry
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Oct 29, 2007
                                      Hi Carel,
                                      I had been thinking of changing the hotspots so they where all on
                                      when you enter the pano and then you can turn them off if you like.
                                      Also been planning on trying to add some code to the MP3 so that the
                                      sound is low and you can turn it up as you like. My xml is all in
                                      separate files, because at the time I didn't know you could put them
                                      all in one file.
                                      In time I plan to set up a map but that's just one more thing I need
                                      to learn how to do.

                                      On the high quality panos I save each cube face separate using CS3,
                                      but on these I saved them on the high side for very good quality so
                                      that anyone who wants to change over to HQ gets a much better view.

                                      When I go back to India this time I will do some panos inside a few
                                      forts along with a few other places that I think will be good.

                                      Thanks,
                                      Roger Berry