Last of the Lurkers

  • vivek_devburman
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 18, 2007
      Hello All,

      I must apologize for lurking for so long, but I was not able to
      devote enough quality time to learning & practising this art so was
      not ready.

      I would like to thank all the members here for the great interaction
      & help provided by all. As a beginner a lot of it goes over my head
      but hopefully I will get there someday. Special thanks to Helmut
      Dersch for giving us Panotools, Hans Nyberg & Jook Leung for their
      great pano's and all those pushing the limits by going into
      refrigerators, in hot air ballons, climbing glaciers & flying kites
      etc.

      I am a 57 year old professional Industrial & Advertising photographer
      in Kolkata, India for 25 years, but have got jaded doing commercial
      work over such a long period. So I picked up many hobbies like Audio
      ( building amplifiers since 1971) , making wine (4 years now) ,
      playing tennis ( 9 years), organising a Jazz Festival ( 4 years.
      check our site www.congosq.org ),& drinking beer( since I was 17).

      Now I find this 360x180 mindblowing and cannot understand why it does
      not have wider acceptance.Most people I know don't twirl it around
      for some reason and have to be shown what to do. I like the pano's
      with people in it ( I know thats tough to stitch). Han's Danish Royal
      Wedding & Jook's New Years were the first to get me hooked. Since
      then I have seen many excellent pano's taken by all of you.

      After stopping and starting for almost a year I decided to jump into
      the deepend to get really going. We have a huge religious festival in
      Bengal right now till Sunday called Durga Puja (
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Durga_Puja ) where the whole city gets
      involved and I am trying to shoot Pano's of it but not being too
      adventurous and shooting when there are less crowds.The wiki says
      thousand of people, but its actually hundreds of thousands.Scary. Its
      bigger than Rio but without skimpy girls. I am not web site savvy so
      don't know how to post the pano's yet. I have put a query on the
      Flickr thread.

      Thanks again to all,

      Vivek
    • Milko Amorth
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 18, 2007
        Welcome to the community Vivek,

        > but its actually hundreds of thousands.Scary.
        Actually, the more the better. Less moving in the masses!

        Don't be affraid, just make sure you have plenty of overlap or take
        several frames to be sure.
        A good technique for peace of mind is to shoot your node regardless of
        movement (for the static stage) and then go back for individual frames
        randomly according to interesting movements or objects.
        A circular fisheye image certainly helps.

        Example: This was done on a monopod with 3 shots a node and 4 random
        inline frames to create a runners line up, because they were so sparse on
        the track and minutes apart, when I was there. Basically, I was trying to
        create a crowd, if you will.

        http://vancouver.360cities.net/fs.html?loc=locations/cohorun.p36

        To publish your qtvr to show the group you dont have to have it embedded
        into html. You could link to the qtvr.mov file directly for now. A simple
        full screen publisher is Pleinpot ffrom qtbridge.com
        http://www.qtbridge.com/pleinpot/pleinpot.html
        It allows you to publish your VRs in several formats without html knowlege
        and little cost to it as well.

        Curios to see your neck of the woods......

        Cheers, Milko

        --
        Milko Amorth
        360° Immersive Imaging

        PhotoScrapbook at Flickr.com/photos/vrdundee
        Skype me @ vrdundee
        Member of IVRPA.org
      • vivek_devburman
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 18, 2007
          Hi Milko,

          Nice position of the sun to give a star and not get blown. Do you mean
          the runners were not so close together in the 14km marathon? Nice idea.

          Pleinpot looks good and cheap. Will check it out further tomorrow.Its
          past 1am tonight & I have an early morning call.

          Thanks for the quick response. I have managed to upload one Equi jpg to
          the equirectangular group in Flickr but don't know how to get Spi-V
          working . Also my jpegs are much too large ( between 8-12mb) for this I
          think. The one uplaoaded is below 3mb.
          Bye,
          Vivek

          Ps. The masses here are always on the move. I have one person in 3 of
          the fisheye pictures. Crazy as I'm not trying on the really crowded
          days.
        • Milko Amorth
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 18, 2007
            Hi Vivek,
            > Do you mean
            > the runners were not so close together in the 14km marathon?
            Yes, they where too far apart from each other to see any detail.
            I did not wait for the main bulk to come in and possibly get trapped on
            the narrow bridge walk.
            Plus i wanted to get some crossing the finish line as well.

            > working . Also my jpegs are much too large ( between 8-12mb) for this I
            > think. The one uplaoaded is below 3mb.
            Yes. That is not needed for the average full screen, anyway.
            Of course, depending on your detail you should be able to be around 2mb
            for high detail and much less for sky (mono colored) panos.
            6000x3000 equirectangular will give you 1910 pixel cube tiles and will be
            still good for a 1600 pixel wide full screen.
            In photoshop you can apply subtle sharpening and compress it to 50% and
            export srgb jpeg.
            Also keep in mind that a 6000 raw pixel image can be reduced by 30%
            (70%rule) without significant loss of detail due to bayer pattern
            interpolation of many sensors on the market. Meaning, that a 6000 raw
            pixel compared to a 4000 reduced version of it shows little or no
            significant detail difference, and that is a lot of bytes to save.

            > Ps. The masses here are always on the move. I have one person in 3 of
            > the fisheye pictures. Crazy as I'm not trying on the really crowded
            > days.
            Wow, you are either are a slow shooter....or people are really running
            fast in circles!:-))) (just joking)
            That's why i like my monopod...it takes me usually under 5 seconds to do a
            node of 3 or 4 segments.
            And as i have said before, if there is really fast action just do it in 2
            steps. The 1st is the static stage and the 2nd the moving action. The
            advantage is that you can take your time with that, observe what is going
            on and randomly take in what happens.
            Ptgui does not care if you stack the images or not. That way you can pick
            the best scenes you like in layers and paint them in or out.

            Good luck,

            Cheers, Milko

            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 19, 2007
              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Milko Amorth" <panotools@...>
              wrote:
              > 6000x3000 equirectangular will give you 1910 pixel cube tiles and
              will be
              > still good for a 1600 pixel wide full screen.
              > In photoshop you can apply subtle sharpening and compress it to 50%
              and
              > export srgb jpeg.
              > Also keep in mind that a 6000 raw pixel image can be reduced by
              30%
              > (70%rule) without significant loss of detail due to bayer pattern
              > interpolation of many sensors on the market. Meaning, that a 6000
              raw
              > pixel compared to a 4000 reduced version of it shows little or no
              > significant detail difference, and that is a lot of bytes to save.

              To save time I am shooting Raw+Basic jpeg & stitching the jpegs.Is it
              OK to show these to the group or should I wait till I've done them
              properly. That will take some time as I am slow & my machine seems
              slow too.

              > That's why i like my monopod...it takes me usually under 5 seconds
              to do a
              > node of 3 or 4 segments.

              How do you keep the monopod verticallty aligned or are you a really
              good stitcher.

              > And as i have said before, if there is really fast action just do
              it in 2
              > steps. The 1st is the static stage and the 2nd the moving action.
              The
              > advantage is that you can take your time with that, observe what is
              going
              > on and randomly take in what happens.
              > Ptgui does not care if you stack the images or not. That way you
              can pick
              > the best scenes you like in layers and paint them in or out.

              Does this mean I can put many of each node into PTGUI? That would
              help a lot as I keep trying with different shots to see which work
              best. Takes me ages. WIll try it.

              Thanks,
              Vivek

              PS. Your mail through Flickr said no reply was possible. How do I
              reply off list?
            • Milko Amorth
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 19, 2007
                Hi Vivek,

                > How do you keep the monopod verticallty aligned or are you a really
                > good stitcher.
                A precise circular spirit level mounted to the monopod will allow you to
                do this fairly consistent to keep your nnp.

                > To save time I am shooting Raw+Basic jpeg & stitching the jpegs.Is itOK
                > to show these to the group or should I wait till I've done themproperly.
                Yes it is, of course.

                > Does this mean I can put many of each node into PTGUI?
                In general yes, but not really neccessary unless you do hdr.
                The idea is to have one full node to complete your 360 no matter what.
                And then add inline section frames as many as you like randomly.
                It could be just a small area of the scene or a few areas of the scene you
                want to go back and forth according to action.
                That would allow you later to pick the most interesting scenes or create
                several.
                Lets say you have a scene of a empty room with a door and you would like
                to show that pano 10 times each with a different person walking trough
                that door. You would shoot the pano of the empty room first and then take
                only 10 frames of the door. Each time with a different person in it. Later
                in PS you just choose the right layer for the pano.
                Ptgui does not care how many column (section) inline frames you have. it
                is just a matter of setting the right contol points.

                > PS. Your mail through Flickr said no reply was possible. How do I
                reply off list?
                Use the email in the <From> form of your email client. It should show
                panotools at 360image.de.

                In order make it easier to read your replies and follow the subject it
                would be good if you only quote the pertaining section to the question and
                not the whole message. Just like I did.

                Thanks. Cheers, Milko

                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 2, 2007
                  Hi all,

                  My web chap suggested using Mediafire as a stop gap measure. Justin this
                  may work for you too.

                  So I have put up one Pano Vigl.mov (1024x768). If it works but should be
                  larger please let me know. I will put up more over the weekend if all is OK.
                  Nadir shot handheld so a little soft but its the only time I've got the
                  VP correction to work.(D40x, sigma8mm3.5. ISO 400. From the basic jpegs.)

                  http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?7yept4e29yd

                  This was a 24/7 vigil in front of St Xaviers College opposite a police
                  station which was carried out spontaneously by citizen volunteers for a
                  month till the government were forced to order a CBI enquiry into the
                  boys death. Its a sad story of Rizwanur Rehman, an educated but middle
                  class boy ( teaching graphic arts) who fell in love with a very rich
                  business man's daughter and they eloped and got married.The girl's
                  father then filed false cases & got the police to harass & threaten the
                  couple. Finally the girl agreed to go with her father for a week to stop
                  the trouble. The boy was found dead next to a railway track a few days
                  later in an apparent suicide but the general consensus is that goons
                  were hired to kill the boy. The girl is shattered but with her
                  parents.The inquiry is in progress and frontpage news for the last few
                  weeks.So far five top police officers have been transferred including
                  the top cop himself. The posters behind have signatures of citizens
                  demanding the probe. There is hope for this city yet.

                  Bye,
                  Vivek