PTEditor rocks (on the Mac)!

  • michel thoby
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 12, 2007
      Hi list,

      I had given up using PTEditor on Windows at the time my panoramas
      overwhelmed the panorama dimension limitation caused by Java. I then
      used Cubic Converter on the Mac for routine Nadir/Zenith editing. I
      may have used the "adjust" plugin to edit special cases including
      angularly longer than 100 degrees straight objects and when the error
      to be corrected crosses over the edge between two cubic faces. I also
      rarely work on Windows anymore unless a specific software doesn't run
      on the Mac.

      About PTEditor, Serge Maandag had asked on this list : Are you sure
      you want to use the dino? :)

      About a year after his question, I would now answer YES.

      Jurassic Park Pano Episode:
      A couple of month ago, I have at last decided to install Kevin
      Kratzke's "PTEditor for Mac OS X" that I had downloaded a long while
      ago. And to give it a try:
      To my surprise, I was able to extract, edit in PS CS 3, insert
      partial image back, repeat again many other times before finally
      saving the panorama with dimensions exceeding 15000 x7500 pixels,
      i.e. about 99% of my work can be handled!
      This is done in a very decent short time on my dual 2GHz G5 (w/ 7 GB
      of DDR SDRAM) very easily. Differing from Kevin's prescription,
      PTEditor can be launched, run and monitored from MacOS's Terminal.

      I have consequently started a new (rather complicated) endeavor that
      IMHO could not be done without PTEditor in a life-time. I have
      treated 130x20 degrees partials probably more that sixty times
      already on this project;-)
      Even if this is with 8bits tiff only, I believe having been told that
      handling such dimension was not possible and my previous experience
      on Windows would have confirmed this.

      On the Kekus forum (Jan 2005) one can read from Kevin:
      http://www.kekus.com/forum/showthread.php?t=438
      << You can find an OS X PTEditor at (it's Java based, slow and can
      only handle medium to small sized images) >>

      With my nearly outdated H/W configuration, my experience is exactly
      the opposite!

      Questions:
      Did somebody else experiment PTEditor on the Mac?
      What was the outcome?

      It looks like PTEditor isn't available for Mac OS X from Kekus any
      more:-(
      Is this true?
      Another way to install without compiling ?

      Regards,

      Michel