Re: I'd Like to Share A Gigapan...

  • Joergen Geerds
    Message 1 of 23 , Oct 11, 2007
      that is a great pano... must been a lot of work to
      shoot, but I like your annotations. do you have a way
      to prevent zooming in too deep? it get's pretty fuzzy
      at the end... it would be also great if the website
      would allow the user to see a taller slice of the
      pano. other than that, great piece of work!

      joergen

      --- jook360 <jook360@...> wrote:

      > Hey, take a look at the following URL to see a
      > really interesting
      > Gigapan! The URL is:
      > http://share.gigapan.org/viewGigapan.php?id=1101
      >

      > jook360
      > jook360@...

      http://autos.yahoo.com/index.html
    • Jook Leung
      Message 2 of 23 , Oct 11, 2007
        This is a rough experiment to stitch a higher res pano into a lower
        res pano. I found this possible to blend both seamlessly in PTGui Pro
        7.2 using the Blend Priority parameter. Thanks Joost!

        The lower middle of the panorama was shot at 400mm and the overall
        panorama was shot at 200mm. PTGui scaled up the 200mm pano to fit
        around the 400 mm pano. That's why the rest of the pano is softer.

        The possibilities are to shoot the overall scene with a wider lens in
        shorter time and then go back in and get higher details with a longer
        lens.

        I'm learning how to shoot sharper panos with very long focal lengths
        (100-400 zoom).

        The Gigapan viewer is wonderful.

        Jook

        On Oct 11, 2007, at 7:14 PM, Joergen Geerds wrote:

        > that is a great pano... must been a lot of work to
        > shoot, but I like your annotations. do you have a way
        > to prevent zooming in too deep? it get's pretty fuzzy
        > at the end... it would be also great if the website
        > would allow the user to see a taller slice of the
        > pano. other than that, great piece of work!
        >
        > joergen
        >
        > --- jook360 <jook360@...> wrote:
        >
        > > Hey, take a look at the following URL to see a
        > > really interesting
        > > Gigapan! The URL is:
        > > http://share.gigapan.org/viewGigapan.php?id=1101
        > >

        > > jook360
        > > jook360@...

        > Don't let your dream ride pass you by. Make it a reality with
        > Yahoo! Autos.
        > http://autos.yahoo.com/index.html

        Jook Leung Photography
        360VR Images - 360 degree Panoramic photography
        Web: http://360vr.com
        E-mail: jook@...

      • Jeffrey Martin
        Message 3 of 23 , Oct 12, 2007
          I've contributed quite a few gigapans over last few months (older panos not
          made with the gigapan device) as well as been in contact with the main
          developer of the technology. Very interesting stuff :-)

          Jeffrey

        • Bernhard Vogl
          Message 4 of 23 , Oct 12, 2007
            Jook Leung schrieb:
            > This is a rough experiment to stitch a higher res pano into a lower
            > res pano. I found this possible to blend both seamlessly in PTGui Pro
            > 7.2 using the Blend Priority parameter. Thanks Joost!

            And thanks Joost for isolating and fixing the nasty render bug in 7.3
            which sporadically crashed batch stitcher in some situations! (read more
            below)
            > The lower middle of the panorama was shot at 400mm and the overall
            > panorama was shot at 200mm. PTGui scaled up the 200mm pano to fit
            > around the 400 mm pano. That's why the rest of the pano is softer.
            >
            > The possibilities are to shoot the overall scene with a wider lens in
            > shorter time and then go back in and get higher details with a longer
            > lens.

            An interesting approach! What are your experiences regarding the impact
            on file size during upscaling of the panorama? Does it still keep down
            to a comparable size compared to the original resolution?
            My wish would be to be able to overlay the resolutions using 2 separate
            images. I already have some panoramas with one full spherical as 10mm
            and the ROI at 300 to 500mm but i never tried upscaling the lower
            resolutions...
            > I'm learning how to shoot sharper panos with very long focal lengths
            > (100-400 zoom).
            >
            > The Gigapan viewer is wonderful.

            Unfortunately the upload tool only accepts ZIF compressed TIFF files
            which keeps - as far as i understand - maximum resolution at about 1
            Gigapixel.
            I think, everything below 1 Gigapixel is quite easy to create nowadays.
            Above 1 Gigapixel things are becoming rapidly very painful ....

            File size is one of the most annoying limitations at the moment (And
            other one is the limitation to 32bit for most available stitching
            software making it hard to do good control point generation and
            optimisation).
            Originally i wanted to create my recent Gigapixel panorama using Hugin's
            Photometric calibration. To circumvent large file sizes, i wrote a small
            applet ( http://dativ.at/slicer ) that slices the output to a defineable
            number of slices. Unfortunately there is a bug in nona that prevents me
            of stitching the sliced panorama parts. This is the reason why i used
            trusty PTGui to stitch the panorama - with the trade-off not being able
            to use Hugins excellent Photometric calibration. PTGui also had a bug
            when stitching large number of panoramas (it crashed after approx. 50
            projects) but Joost found the problem and fixed it in the final 7.3 release!

            Here's a pre-stitch of the final panorama. I will make it public as soon
            as nona can stitch the sliced projects with Photometric Calibration: :-)
            http://hdview.at/20070921_wteltower
            This panorama uses HDView Technology. I had the honor to use a
            pre-release of HDMake offering the option to work with multi-file input.

            For those who are interested:
            Number of source images: ~800 images, 12MP, 300mm.
            Timeframe of shoot: 54min (using my Lego robot)
            Net size of output panorama online: 3.5 Gigapixel
            Control point creation: Autopano (Pro) 1.4 RC1
            Panorama optimisation: Hugin (Lucerne Edition, 64bit)
            Missing image re-arrangement and stitching: PTGui (7.3 Pro). Stitching
            was done in 100 slices, each took 10min to complete (PTGui stitcher &
            blender)
            Panorama preparation for online viewing: HDMake 1.3beta

            Bernhard
          • Don French
            Message 5 of 23 , Oct 13, 2007
              Bernhard, The Vienna pano is a very seductive image! There is an
              enormous amount of information and interest throughout the image and
              it is hard to pull oneself away from it. I find myself wanting to see
              every part of it in hi-res. It makes you feel a little like a Peeping
              Tom though, as you look in the windows of the residences. I admit
              that when I look in the windows I hope to see someone inside. The
              secret voyeur in me, I guess. Also, because only yesterday I watched
              the classic Michelangelo Antonioni movie, Blowup, for the nth time,
              whenever I zoomed into one of the park scenes in your pano, I half
              expected to see a body emerge on the edge of a clearing.

              I see that the final image size is 3.5 Gigapixel. Is that 3 bytes per
              pixel for a final image size of 10.5 Gig? How did you get this huge
              file to the server? Not over dial-up, I hope!

              -- Don French

              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Bernhard Vogl <bvogl@...> wrote:

> [...]
              Hugin's
              > Photometric calibration. To circumvent large file sizes, i wrote a
              small
              > applet ( http://dativ.at/slicer ) that slices the output to a
              defineable
              > number of slices. Unfortunately there is a bug in nona that prevents me
              > of stitching the sliced panorama parts. This is the reason why i used
              > trusty PTGui to stitch the panorama - with the trade-off not being able
              > to use Hugins excellent Photometric calibration. PTGui also had a bug
              > when stitching large number of panoramas (it crashed after approx. 50
              > projects) but Joost found the problem and fixed it in the final 7.3
              release!

              > Here's a pre-stitch of the final panorama. I will make it public as
              soon
              > as nona can stitch the sliced projects with Photometric Calibration:
              :-)
              > http://hdview.at/20070921_wteltower
              > This panorama uses HDView Technology. I had the honor to use a
              > pre-release of HDMake offering the option to work with multi-file input.
              >
              > For those who are interested:
              > Number of source images: ~800 images, 12MP, 300mm.
              > Timeframe of shoot: 54min (using my Lego robot)
              > Net size of output panorama online: 3.5 Gigapixel
              > Control point creation: Autopano (Pro) 1.4 RC1
              > Panorama optimisation: Hugin (Lucerne Edition, 64bit)
              > Missing image re-arrangement and stitching: PTGui (7.3 Pro). Stitching
              > was done in 100 slices, each took 10min to complete (PTGui stitcher &
              > blender)
              > Panorama preparation for online viewing: HDMake 1.3beta
              >
              > Bernhard

            • Bernhard Vogl
              Message 6 of 23 , Oct 15, 2007
                Hello Don,

                I believe there's some sort of "Pepping Tom" in everyone... ;-)
                It's easier to look inside the windows if you turn off automatic tone mapping (but there are only a few "shadows" visible).
                Still there remain enough interesting views, e.g. this "fellow photographer": http://hdview.at/20070921_wteltower/?FileName=control.xml&FOV=0.838&Yaw=221.334&Pitch=98.99

                The image format used is the "Microsoft Photo" Format which is comparable to JPEG but is said to offer higher compression.
                The uploaded image is a multi-resolution pyramid with 8 levels of detail. E.g. if you're watching the full panorama you are at level 0, seeing 100% detail is level 7. All levels together use approx. 1.4GB disk space on the web server.
                Yes, i have broadband access - still upload takes several hours to complete ;-)

                Bernhard

                -------- Original-Nachricht --------

              • Don French
                Message 7 of 23 , Oct 15, 2007
                  There is at least one other photographer in the image, well more like
                  a tourist taking a snapshot, but did you find the sun bather?

                • Bernhard Vogl
                  Message 8 of 23 , Oct 15, 2007
                    Don French schrieb:
                    > There is at least one other photographer in the image, well more like
                    > a tourist taking a snapshot, but did you find the sun bather?

                    There are 2 of them photographing the Belvedere Palace (
                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belvedere_%28palace%29 )
                    http://hdview.at/20070921_wteltower/?FileName=control.xml&FOV=0.8330000042915344&Yaw=159.2530059814453&Pitch=97.26799774169922

                    The sunbathing lady:
                    http://hdview.at/20070921_wteltower/?FileName=control.xml&FOV=0.833&Yaw=253.163&Pitch=100.689

                    Looks like an evening at the nursing home:
                    http://hdview.at/20070921_wteltower/?FileName=control.xml&FOV=0.833&Yaw=216.403&Pitch=96.796

                    And the ubiquitous tablets remembering that you shouldn't leave your
                    dog's poo-poo behind ("Nimm ein Sackerl für mein Gackerl"). 17.000 of
                    these signs have already been stolen...
                    http://hdview.at/20070921_wteltower/?FileName=control.xml&FOV=0.833&Yaw=151.04&Pitch=105.267&Tonemode=0

                    Best regards
                    Bernhard
                  • Guillaume Fulchiron
                    Message 9 of 23 , Oct 15, 2007
                      Hi Bernhard,

                      Wow ! it's a fantastic way to explore a city. Congratulation for this
                      amazing work. I could spend hours in there.

                      I know by now the time you shot this pano :
                      http://hdview.at/20070921_wteltower/?FileName=control.xml&BackgroundColor=0&FOV=0.803&Yaw=234.409&Pitch=98.557&Zoom=1&XCtr=0.5&YCtr=0.5&ToneMode=1
                      or
                      http://tinyurl.com/yuazou

                      But I'm still investigating to figure out the day ;-) I have some
                      reasons to believe for a Sunday or any day off.
                      Am I right ?

                      Cheers,

                      G.

                      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Bernhard Vogl <bvogl@...> wrote:

                      > There are 2 of them photographing the Belvedere Palace (
                      > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belvedere_%28palace%29 )

                      http://hdview.at/20070921_wteltower/?FileName=control.xml&FOV=0.8330000042915344&Yaw=159.2530059814453&Pitch=97.26799774169922

                      > The sunbathing lady:

                      http://hdview.at/20070921_wteltower/?FileName=control.xml&FOV=0.833&Yaw=253.163&Pitch=100.689

                      > Looks like an evening at the nursing home:

                      http://hdview.at/20070921_wteltower/?FileName=control.xml&FOV=0.833&Yaw=216.403&Pitch=96.796

                      > And the ubiquitous tablets remembering that you shouldn't leave your
                      > dog's poo-poo behind ("Nimm ein Sackerl f�r mein Gackerl"). 17.000 of
                      > these signs have already been stolen...

                      http://hdview.at/20070921_wteltower/?FileName=control.xml&FOV=0.833&Yaw=151.04&Pitch=105.267&Tonemode=0

                      > Best regards
                      > Bernhard

                    • thomas bredenfeld
                      Message 10 of 23 , Oct 15, 2007
                        tremendous pano, bernhard!

                        only a small edge of a roof prevents your space
                        spy eye from peeping in our bathroom :-D

                        of course the yaw and pitch values are not published on the list ;-)

                        great work!

                        thomas bredenfeld from vienna, you all can guess ;-)

                        >--- In
                        ><mailto:PanoToolsNG%40yahoogroups.com>PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com,
                        >Bernhard Vogl <bvogl@...> wrote:
                        >>

                        >> There are 2 of them photographing the Belvedere Palace (
                        >>
                        >><http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belvedere_%28palace%29>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belvedere_%28palace%29
                        >>)
                        >>
                        ><http://hdview.at/20070921_wteltower/?FileName=control.xml&FOV=0.8330000042915344&Yaw=159.2530059814453&Pitch=97.26799774169922>http://hdview.at/20070921_wteltower/?FileName=control.xml&FOV=0.8330000042915344&Yaw=159.2530059814453&Pitch=97.26799774169922
                        >>
                        >> The sunbathing lady:
                        >>
                        ><http://hdview.at/20070921_wteltower/?FileName=control.xml&FOV=0.833&Yaw=253.163&Pitch=100.689>http://hdview.at/20070921_wteltower/?FileName=control.xml&FOV=0.833&Yaw=253.163&Pitch=100.689
                        >>
                        >> Looks like an evening at the nursing home:
                        >>
                        ><http://hdview.at/20070921_wteltower/?FileName=control.xml&FOV=0.833&Yaw=216.403&Pitch=96.796>http://hdview.at/20070921_wteltower/?FileName=control.xml&FOV=0.833&Yaw=216.403&Pitch=96.796
                        >>
                        >> And the ubiquitous tablets remembering that you shouldn't leave your
                        >> dog's poo-poo behind ("Nimm ein Sackerl f�r mein Gackerl"). 17.000 of
                        >> these signs have already been stolen...
                        >>
                        ><http://hdview.at/20070921_wteltower/?FileName=control.xml&FOV=0.833&Yaw=151.04&Pitch=105.267&Tonemode=0>http://hdview.at/20070921_wteltower/?FileName=control.xml&FOV=0.833&Yaw=151.04&Pitch=105.267&Tonemode=0
                        >>
                        >> Best regards
                        >> Bernhard

                      • Bernhard Vogl
                        Message 11 of 23 , Oct 15, 2007
                          Guillaume Fulchiron wrote:
                          > Hi Bernhard,
                          >
                          > Wow ! it's a fantastic way to explore a city. Congratulation for this
                          > amazing work. I could spend hours in there.
                          >
                          > I know by now the time you shot this pano :
                          > http://hdview.at/20070921_wteltower/?FileName=control.xml&BackgroundColor=0&FOV=0.803&Yaw=234.409&Pitch=98.557&Zoom=1&XCtr=0.5&YCtr=0.5&ToneMode=1
                          > or
                          > http://tinyurl.com/yuazou
                          >
                          > But I'm still investigating to figure out the day ;-) I have some
                          > reasons to believe for a Sunday or any day off.
                          > Am I right ?

                          Thanks Guillaume,

                          It was shot on a Friday afternoon, you can see the heavy traffic out of
                          the town
                          http://hdview.at/20070921_wteltower/?FileName=control.xml&FOV=1.536&Yaw=251.747&Pitch=95.47
                          (You can see the turnoff to Prague, Budapest and Bratislava.)
                          I quit work early to catch the good sun (the link name may give you a
                          hint about the exact day). Though, you must not forget that the panorama
                          is a shift in the space-time continuum as the upper-left edge is
                          photographed at 3:41PM and the lower right at 4:34PM ;-)

                          Best regards
                          Bernhard
                        • Bernhard Vogl
                          Message 12 of 23 , Oct 15, 2007
                            thomas bredenfeld wrote:
                            > tremendous pano, bernhard!
                            >
                            > only a small edge of a roof prevents your space
                            > spy eye from peeping in our bathroom :-D
                            >
                            > of course the yaw and pitch values are not published on the list ;-)
                            >
                            > great work!
                            >
                            > thomas bredenfeld from vienna, you all can guess ;-)

                            Next time i will use the mirror lens ;-)
                            Though, feel free to publish the parameters. I will update the panorama
                            in a few days with the final version. The view will then be slightly
                            shifted... ;-)

                            Best regards
                            Bernhard
                          • Peter Crowley
                            Message 13 of 23 , Oct 15, 2007
                              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Bernhard Vogl" <bvogl@...> wrote:

                              > The image format used is the "Microsoft Photo" Format which is
                              comparable to JPEG but is said to offer higher compression.
                              > The uploaded image is a multi-resolution pyramid with 8 levels of
                              detail. E.g. if you're watching the full panorama you are at level 0,
                              seeing 100% detail is level 7. All levels together use approx. 1.4GB
                              disk space on the web server.

                              Bernard,
                              On my Mac OS X system using Firefox, I get the following message when
                              I try to view your panorama:"Sorry the HD View Beta is not supported
                              on this platform. Must be Internet Explorer or Firefox on Windows XP,
                              Server 2003, or Vista." If you want everyone to enjoy, please
                              consider using jpeg.
                              -Peter
                            • PanoToolsNG.10.m8@spamgourmet.com
                              Message 14 of 23 , Oct 15, 2007
                                Doesn't work in Opera either :-(
                                Darren.

                                )> The image format used is the "Microsoft Photo" Format which is
                                )comparable to JPEG but is said to offer higher compression.
                                )> The uploaded image is a multi-resolution pyramid with 8 levels of
                                )detail. E.g. if you're watching the full panorama you are at
                                )level 0, seeing 100% detail is level 7. All levels together
                                )use approx. 1.4GB disk space on the web server.
                                )
                                )Bernard,
                                )On my Mac OS X system using Firefox, I get the following
                                )message when I try to view your panorama:"Sorry the HD View
                                )Beta is not supported on this platform. Must be Internet
                                )Explorer or Firefox on Windows XP, Server 2003, or Vista." If
                                )you want everyone to enjoy, please consider using jpeg.
                                )-Peter
                                )

                                Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.
                                Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                                21:01
                              • Yuval Levy
                                Message 15 of 23 , Oct 15, 2007
                                  PanoToolsNG.10.m8@... wrote:
                                  > Doesn't work in Opera either :-(
                                  > Darren.

                                  nor in Safari or in Linux. What is so special about this HDviewer? why
                                  not use Zoomify?

                                  Yuv
                                • Jook Leung
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Oct 15, 2007
                                    The original thread started with Gigapan.org. Maybe Bernhard can post
                                    his pano to Gigapan.org so more of us can see it.

                                    My multi-res test pano is at
                                    http://gigapan.org/viewGigapan.php?id=1101

                                    Jook

                                    On Oct 16, 2007, at 1:52 AM, Yuval Levy wrote:

                                    > PanoToolsNG.10.m8@... wrote:
                                    >> Doesn't work in Opera either :-(
                                    >> Darren.
                                    >
                                    > nor in Safari or in Linux. What is so special about this HDviewer? why
                                    > not use Zoomify?
                                    >
                                    > Yuv

                                    Jook Leung Photography
                                    360VR Images - 360 degree Panoramic photography
                                    Web: http://360vr.com
                                    E-mail: jook@...
                                    Mobile: 201 679 6177
                                  • Bernhard Vogl
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Oct 16, 2007
                                      Hi Jook, Pete, Darren and others,

                                      Yes, HDView only works with Windows and IE/Firefox. I am sorry that not everyone is able to see the panorama with his operating system browser combination. Though, you may not forget that this software is still in the beta stage and pioneering new technology. Just like the Firefox plugin, other platforms may be successively added.

                                      The wdp format is not the problem. Decoding and displaying is completely handled by the viewer.

                                      Gigapan would certainly be a nice way to publish as it can automatically add to Goole but I'm not aware of any upload method that can handle the large panorama.

                                      Zoomify can't handle "placemarks". Also, it tends to forget to load image tiles in large panoramas. And the largest it can read are 2GB TIFF files.

                                      HDView:
                                      - it is the only software that can create Gigapixel panoramas from multi-file input. So it is the only choice if you want/have to use open file formats or don't own Photoshop CS3 (albeit the problem that large single files are no fun to edit anyway).
                                      - it is not dependant on any "service provider"
                                      - it can handle placemarks
                                      - IT is hardware accelerated
                                      - and it offers automatic contrast adaption. It isn't so noticeable while viewing the panorama but it is an integral part for a good image appearance. Just try to switch it off and on and you can see how much it adds to visibility of distant objects.

                                      Last but not least:
                                      I am proud not to use any super-expensive specialized hard- or software. Everything i use is accessible to anyone who is *not* willing or can't invest 1000 EUR or more just to do large panoramas. This is the last puzzle piece to understand the selection of my specific work flow and the tools used...

                                      Bernhard
                                    • Keith Martin
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Oct 16, 2007
                                        Sometime around 16/10/07 (at 10:27 +0200) Bernhard Vogl said:

                                        >this software is still in the beta stage and pioneering new
                                        >technology. Just like the Firefox plugin, other platforms may be
                                        >successively added.

                                        And *may* is the key word here. This is a Microsoft product after
                                        all, and that company is well known for its canny use of technology
                                        control as marketing lever. So who knows...

                                        Ah well, it sounds good. Perhaps it will happen, eh? ;-)

                                      • Bernhard Vogl
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Oct 16, 2007
                                          > >this software is still in the beta stage and pioneering new
                                          > >technology. Just like the Firefox plugin, other platforms may be
                                          > >successively added.
                                          >
                                          > And *may* is the key word here. This is a Microsoft product after
                                          > all, and that company is well known for its canny use of technology
                                          > control as marketing lever. So who knows...
                                          >
                                          > Ah well, it sounds good. Perhaps it will happen, eh? ;-)

                                          Maybe like Quicktime? A bloated xx MB download including unwanted software for a meanwhile obsoleted viewer technology. No edit or even simple parameter change unless you pay for the "Pro"-version...?

                                          SCNR ;-)
                                          Bernhard
                                        • rsargent
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Oct 16, 2007
                                            Bernhard Vogl-2 wrote:

                                            > Hi Jook, Pete, Darren and others,

                                            > Gigapan would certainly be a nice way to publish as it can automatically
                                            > add to Goole but I'm not aware of any upload method that can handle the
                                            > large panorama.

                                            > Bernhard

                                            Dear Bernhard,

                                            I help work on the GigaPan software. We want to be as friendly as possible
                                            to all panoramas, especially very large panoramas :-).

                                            Support for split image files is something we should definitely add the
                                            GigaPan uploader. When you split panoramas into multiple files, do you have
                                            a convention for how the files are named and arranged?

                                            Thanks!

                                            -- Randy

                                            Randy Sargent
                                            Global Connection Project
                                            Carnegie Mellon University / NASA Ames Research Center
                                            http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~globalconn
                                            http://gigapan.org
                                          • Bernhard Vogl
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Oct 16, 2007
                                              Am Dienstag, den 16.10.2007, 06:57 -0700 schrieb rsargent:

                                              > I help work on the GigaPan software. We want to be as friendly as possible
                                              > to all panoramas, especially very large panoramas :-).
                                              >
                                              > Support for split image files is something we should definitely add the
                                              > GigaPan uploader. When you split panoramas into multiple files, do you have
                                              > a convention for how the files are named and arranged?

                                              Randy, i'm sure this would be a great addition for large Panorama
                                              processing. Thanks for picking up the idea!

                                              The applet i use ( http://dativ.at/slicer ) splits into vertical slices
                                              in "western notation" from left to right, one row only (a projection
                                              contraint). The name is based on the images file, plus "_slice" and the
                                              numer of the slice (in the form 0001) - e.g. "mypanorama_slice18.tif".
                                              This arrangement makes it possible to sort the files alphabetically for
                                              a correct split order.

                                              However, i'm currently setting up the most recent version of Hugin which
                                              can render ROI based - thus making it possible to render freely
                                              defineable tiles. :-)

                                              Best regards
                                              Bernhard
                                            • greg downing
                                              Message 22 of 23 , Oct 16, 2007
                                                >nor in Safari or in Linux. What is so special about this HDviewer? why
                                                >not use Zoomify?

                                                Unfortunately Zoomify is not corrected for spherical or cylindrical
                                                projection. The only way to view perspective corrected gigapixel images is
                                                w/ HDView. It is the same quality of presentation vs reach question that
                                                comes up here pretty frequently.

                                              • jugstopper777
                                                Message 23 of 23 , Oct 17, 2007
                                                  --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Bernhard Vogl" <bvogl@...> wrote:

                                                  > Hi Jook, Pete, Darren and others,
                                                  >
                                                  > Yes, HDView only works with Windows and IE/Firefox. I am sorry that not everyone is
                                                  able to see the panorama with his operating system browser combination. Though, you
                                                  may not forget that this software is still in the beta stage and pioneering new technology.
                                                  Just like the Firefox plugin, other platforms may be successively added.

                                                  I saw HD View demoed at the IVRPA meeting in Berkeley and it was pretty amazing. I just
                                                  have trouble imagining MS making it work cross-platform in all browsers. It's just not in
                                                  their character. I hope some other group comes up with an equivalent that works for
                                                  everyone. We are probably all familiar with the Microsoft modus operandi:

                                                  ********* from wikipedia
                                                  ""Embrace, extend and extinguish,"[1] also known as "Embrace, extend, and
                                                  exterminate,"[2] is a phrase that the U.S. Department of Justice alleged[3] was used
                                                  internally by Microsoft[4] to describe their strategy for entering product categories
                                                  involving widely used standards, extending those standards with proprietary capabilities,
                                                  and then using those differences to disadvantage its competitors.
                                                  The origin of the phrase is a corruption of the original "embrace, extend then innovate"
                                                  one that was in J. Allard's 1994 memo "Windows: The Next Killer Application on the
                                                  Internet" to Paul Maritz and other executives at Microsoft."

                                                  I did try to look at it in Windows XP via Parallels on my Mac, but it still was a no-go. It
                                                  threw up something about DirectX something or other. I don't know if that can be made
                                                  to work or not; probably not unless hardware acceleration can work in Parallels? Anyone
                                                  know?