Re:Was this trivial invention really worth of an US patent?

  • Dave 360texas.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 11, 2007
      Some new developments probably now already known about.... JUMP
      start.. new technology... HD View XR soon to replace .jpg Microsoft
      format royalty free to the JPEG committee to replace .jpg format. I
      personally think soon you will not have to be concerned about
      HDR.... it is built in to JPEG-XR or extended range. Considering
      that this new image format is already in front of the JPEG council
      for consideration.... if anyone learns more about this new file
      format.. please post !!!!

      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Georgia Real Tours"
      <garealtours@...> wrote:

      > On 10/11/07, Bruce Hemming <bruce@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > This is insane - does the US patent office do any checking or
      just
      > > rubber stamp applications?
      >
      > The USPS is historically inept in the constructs of technology,
      > especially where computers and internet are involved. No doubt
      they
      > have no experts in this area either.
      >

      > > As Michel has already pointed out the
      > > method as described just won't work. It will if you shoot six
      around
      > > +z and n - which is exactly what I, and I expect many others
      do. At
      > > the moment my HDRI probes are used to light buildings but we
      have an
      > > opportunity to pitch for automotive work which would probably
      be used
      > > in the US - does this mean that we are open to legal action?
      >
      > We in the U.S. are open to legal action on the whims of anyone
      willing
      > to file. The question you're getting at though is the risk of
      losing
      > legal action. The risk exists for this arse to threaten legal
      action
      > to try and "shake the trees" in my best non-legal-advice opinion.
      My
      > guess is that he's looking for VC and probably will be able to dupe
      > someone into giving him an investment. But my guess also is that
      he'd
      > really hesitate actually going to court over this because he'd very
      > probably lose the patent (again in my IANAL opinion).
      >

      > > I wonder what CGIBackgrounds.com would have to say about this?
      They