painful purchase decision

  • Rusu Laurentiu
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 6, 2007
      Hello all!

      Nowadays I'm willing to make the big step to DSLR.
      I've chose the camera Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi,
      especially for Canon's color accuracy.
      After a lot of research I still cannot decide
      what lens to buy.

      I'm looking for a fisheye lens that offers:
      - high image quality
      - less chromatic aberrations/color fringing
      - clarity
      - under 8 shots for a spherical panorama

      Please help me to choose between the following:

      Tokina Fisheye 10-17mm f/3.5-4.5 AT-X 107 DX
      Canon Fisheye EF 15mm f/2.8 Autofocus Lens
      Sigma Fisheye 15mm f/2.8 EX DG Diagonal Fisheye Autofocus

      A pro/cons feedback would be more than nice,
      as for now I'm not familiar with DSLR technology.

      looking forward to your replies,
      thank you!

      Laurentiu
      http://www.vrbrasov.ro/
    • Dinu Lazar
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 6, 2007
        If do you want under eight shots and high image quality:

        Nikon 10, 5 mm

        Or the

        Sigma 8mm

        Best,

        Dinu Lazar

        www.fotografu.ro

        _____

        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 6, 2007
          At the first glance Sigma 8mm seems the right choice, but on further
          analysis there is some lack of clarity and too much color fringing.

          Nikon 10.5 is a GREAT lens, but I don't know if it's a perfect match
          for Canon. I don't want to use adapters or any kind of home-made
          improvements in order to make it work.

          Thank you for feedback.

          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Dinu Lazar" <dinu@...> wrote:

          > If do you want under eight shots and high image quality:
          >

          > Nikon 10, 5 mm
          >
          > Or the
          >
          > Sigma 8mm
          >

          > Best,
          >
          > Dinu Lazar
          >
          > www.fotografu.ro
          >

          > _____
          >

          > I'm looking for a fisheye lens that offers:
          > - high image quality
          > - less chromatic aberrations/color fringing
          > - clarity
          > - under 8 shots for a spherical panorama
          >
          > Please help me to choose between the following:
          >
          > Tokina Fisheye 10-17mm f/3.5-4.5 AT-X 107 DX
          > Canon Fisheye EF 15mm f/2.8 Autofocus Lens
          > Sigma Fisheye 15mm f/2.8 EX DG Diagonal Fisheye Autofocus

        • ptgroup
          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 6, 2007
            Hm: the 10.5 has even more CAs as the Sigma 8mm
            on a Nikon D80.
            Ciao
            Mike
            -------------------------

            At the first glance Sigma 8mm seems the right choice, but on further
            analysis there is some lack of clarity and too much color fringing.

            Nikon 10.5 is a GREAT lens, but I don't know if it's a perfect match
            for Canon. I don't want to use adapters or any kind of home-made
            improvements in order to make it work.

            Thank you for feedback.

            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Dinu Lazar" <dinu@...> wrote:

            > If do you want under eight shots and high image quality:
            >

            > Nikon 10, 5 mm
            >
            > Or the
            >
            > Sigma 8mm
            >

            > Best,
            >
            > Dinu Lazar
            >
            > www.fotografu.ro
            >

            > _____
            >

            > I'm looking for a fisheye lens that offers:
            > - high image quality
            > - less chromatic aberrations/color fringing
            > - clarity
            > - under 8 shots for a spherical panorama
            >
            > Please help me to choose between the following:
            >
            > Tokina Fisheye 10-17mm f/3.5-4.5 AT-X 107 DX
            > Canon Fisheye EF 15mm f/2.8 Autofocus Lens
            > Sigma Fisheye 15mm f/2.8 EX DG Diagonal Fisheye Autofocus

          • Joergen Geerds
            Message 5 of 15 , Oct 6, 2007
              i heard great things about the 10-17mm tok.
              the 15mm fisheyes are no fisheye lenses when you put
              the on a xti (1.6x). chromatic aberration is something
              you will find in any lens, no matter how expensive...
              but you can easily fix most of the aberration in
              ACR4.2. so save some $ and deal with it. one word of
              advise: wide angle lenses are extremely flare happy,
              especially the tokina, so you need to learn to deal
              with that too...

              if you are curious, i shoot all my panoramas with a
              canon xti, small panos with a tokina 12-24 (@12mm),
              and my big panoramas with a tamron 17-50 (@36-50mm).
              you can see them at http://newyorkpanorama.com and
              http://luminous-newyork.com

              good luck

              joergen

              --- Rusu Laurentiu <ice3v@...> wrote:

              > Hello all!
              >
              > Nowadays I'm willing to make the big step to DSLR.
              > I've chose the camera Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi,
              > especially for Canon's color accuracy.
              > After a lot of research I still cannot decide
              > what lens to buy.
              >
              > I'm looking for a fisheye lens that offers:
              > - high image quality
              > - less chromatic aberrations/color fringing
              > - clarity
              > - under 8 shots for a spherical panorama
              >
              > Please help me to choose between the following:
              >
              > Tokina Fisheye 10-17mm f/3.5-4.5 AT-X 107 DX
              > Canon Fisheye EF 15mm f/2.8 Autofocus Lens
              > Sigma Fisheye 15mm f/2.8 EX DG Diagonal Fisheye
              > Autofocus
              >
              > A pro/cons feedback would be more than nice,
              > as for now I'm not familiar with DSLR technology.
              >
              > looking forward to your replies,
              > thank you!
              >
              > Laurentiu
              > http://www.vrbrasov.ro/

              that gives answers, not web links.
            • bigwade
              Message 6 of 15 , Oct 6, 2007
                tinyurl.com/ywjo73
                6 shots around ( for the moving people, 4 is enough) 1T+1B
                Sig8/3.5 400D, Feisol minitripod.
                The New Sig is a good lens and at best @f5,6-8
                The Tokina is oké too, more images and at best @f11-16
                Have Fun !

                Rusu Laurentiu wrote:

                > At the first glance Sigma 8mm seems the right choice, but on further
                > analysis there is some lack of clarity and too much color fringing.
                >
                > Nikon 10.5 is a GREAT lens, but I don't know if it's a perfect match
                > for Canon. I don't want to use adapters or any kind of home-made
                > improvements in order to make it work.
                >
                > Thank you for feedback.
                >

                > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Dinu Lazar" <dinu@...> wrote:
                >>
                >> If do you want under eight shots and high image quality:
                >>

                >> Nikon 10, 5 mm
                >>
                >> Or the
                >>
                >> Sigma 8mm
                >>

                >> Best,
                >>
                >> Dinu Lazar
                >>
                >> www.fotografu.ro
                >>

                >> _____
                >>

                >> I'm looking for a fisheye lens that offers:
                >> - high image quality
                >> - less chromatic aberrations/color fringing
                >> - clarity
                >> - under 8 shots for a spherical panorama
                >>
                >> Please help me to choose between the following:
                >>
                >> Tokina Fisheye 10-17mm f/3.5-4.5 AT-X 107 DX
                >> Canon Fisheye EF 15mm f/2.8 Autofocus Lens
                >> Sigma Fisheye 15mm f/2.8 EX DG Diagonal Fisheye Autofocus

              • Georgian Rusu
                Message 7 of 15 , Oct 7, 2007
                  Hello Joergen!

                  Thank you for your feedback.
                  Indeed the 15mm is no more an option, unless I get the Canon 5D.
                  Your work is impressive and I like the quality of your panos.
                  Great things about Tokina 10-17mm I heard too and this panorama http://photokina.ivrpa.org/tags/fisheye_zoom_10_17 made it my top choice.
                  Then I've encounter some bad samples and I kind of rethink my strategy.
                  After I've seen the pano of Frank van Dam I was messed up again and put Sigma 8mm back on my list. Now I have to decide between Tokina and Sigma.

                  It will be nice if I might find some fullsize samples of Tokina to play around a little bit.:-) I hope to find soon as I'm getting kind of tired of my Powershot and hundred of photos to edit.

                  Best regards,
                  Laurentiu

                  http://www.vrbrasov.ro

                  Joergen Geerds <joergengeerds@...> wrote: i heard great things about the 10-17mm tok.

                  --- Rusu Laurentiu <ice3v@...> wrote:

                  > Hello all!
                  >
                  > Nowadays I'm willing to make the big step to DSLR.
                  > I've chose the camera Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi,
                  > especially for Canon's color accuracy.
                  > After a lot of research I still cannot decide
                  > what lens to buy.
                  >
                  > I'm looking for a fisheye lens that offers:
                  > - high image quality
                  > - less chromatic aberrations/color fringing
                  > - clarity
                  > - under 8 shots for a spherical panorama
                  >
                  > Please help me to choose between the following:
                  >
                  > Tokina Fisheye 10-17mm f/3.5-4.5 AT-X 107 DX
                  > Canon Fisheye EF 15mm f/2.8 Autofocus Lens
                  > Sigma Fisheye 15mm f/2.8 EX DG Diagonal Fisheye
                  > Autofocus
                  >
                  > A pro/cons feedback would be more than nice,
                  > as for now I'm not familiar with DSLR technology.
                  >
                  > looking forward to your replies,
                  > thank you!
                  >
                  > Laurentiu
                  > http://www.vrbrasov.ro/

                  that gives answers, not web links.

                • Jook Leung
                  Message 8 of 15 , Oct 7, 2007
                    Hello Laurentiu,

                    I use the 5D with the Tokina107 most of the time now for my personal
                    work. You can see an indoor sample here, it so happens to include a
                    picture of Joergen...set at 10mm
                    http://360vr.com/BWAC2007

                    Here is an outdoor example set at 12mm:
                    http://360vr.com/Newport10

                    Both the Tokina107 and the Nikkor10.5 are unique in that they have
                    usable fov greater than 180. The Sigma 8/3.5 usable fov is 180 or less.

                    I shoot with the Canon 400D/XTi- Sigma 8/3.5 also and recently used
                    this combo for my WWP Sustenance contribution which goes live I think
                    on Monday.

                    For the 400D camera, I'd recommend the Sigma 8/3.5 if you want to do
                    spherical panos with 4 shots.

                    regards,
                    Jook

                    On Oct 7, 2007, at 6:40 PM, Georgian Rusu wrote:

                    > Hello Joergen!
                    >
                    > Thank you for your feedback.
                    > Indeed the 15mm is no more an option, unless I get the Canon 5D.
                    > Your work is impressive and I like the quality of your panos.
                    > Great things about Tokina 10-17mm I heard too and this
                    > panoramahttp://photokina.ivrpa.org/tags/fisheye_zoom_10_17 made it
                    > my top choice.
                    > Then I've encounter some bad samples and I kind of rethink my
                    > strategy.
                    > After I've seen the pano of Frank van Dam I was messed up again and
                    > put Sigma 8mm back on my list. Now I have to decide between Tokina
                    > and Sigma.
                    >
                    > It will be nice if I might find some fullsize samples of Tokina to
                    > play around a little bit.:-) I hope to find soon as I'm getting
                    > kind of tired of my Powershot and hundred of photos to edit.
                    >
                    > Best regards,
                    > Laurentiu
                    >
                    > http://www.vrbrasov.ro
                    >
                    > Joergen Geerds <joergengeerds@...> wrote: i heard great
                    > things about the 10-17mm tok.
                    > the 15mm fisheyes are no fisheye lenses when you put
                    > the on a xti (1.6x). chromatic aberration is something
                    > you will find in any lens, no matter how expensive...
                    > but you can easily fix most of the aberration in
                    > ACR4.2. so save some $ and deal with it. one word of
                    > advise: wide angle lenses are extremely flare happy,
                    > especially the tokina, so you need to learn to deal
                    > with that too...
                    >
                    > if you are curious, i shoot all my panoramas with a
                    > canon xti, small panos with a tokina 12-24 (@12mm),
                    > and my big panoramas with a tamron 17-50 (@36-50mm).
                    > you can see them at http://newyorkpanorama.com and
                    > http://luminous-newyork.com
                    >
                    > good luck
                    >
                    > joergen
                    >
                    > --- Rusu Laurentiu <ice3v@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > > Hello all!
                    > >
                    > > Nowadays I'm willing to make the big step to DSLR.
                    > > I've chose the camera Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi,
                    > > especially for Canon's color accuracy.
                    > > After a lot of research I still cannot decide
                    > > what lens to buy.
                    > >
                    > > I'm looking for a fisheye lens that offers:
                    > > - high image quality
                    > > - less chromatic aberrations/color fringing
                    > > - clarity
                    > > - under 8 shots for a spherical panorama
                    > >
                    > > Please help me to choose between the following:
                    > >
                    > > Tokina Fisheye 10-17mm f/3.5-4.5 AT-X 107 DX
                    > > Canon Fisheye EF 15mm f/2.8 Autofocus Lens
                    > > Sigma Fisheye 15mm f/2.8 EX DG Diagonal Fisheye
                    > > Autofocus
                    > >
                    > > A pro/cons feedback would be more than nice,
                    > > as for now I'm not familiar with DSLR technology.
                    > >
                    > > looking forward to your replies,
                    > > thank you!
                    > >
                    > > Laurentiu
                    > > http://www.vrbrasov.ro/

                    > that gives answers, not web links.

                    Jook Leung Photography
                    360VR Images - 360 degree Panoramic photography
                    Web: http://360vr.com
                    E-mail: jook@...
                    Mobile: 201 679 6177

                  • AYRTON - avi
                    Message 9 of 15 , Oct 7, 2007
                      On 10/7/07, Jook Leung <jook360@...> wrote:
                      > Hello Laurentiu,
                      >
                      > I use the 5D with the Tokina107 most of the time now for my personal
                      > work. You can see an indoor sample here, it so happens to include a
                      > picture of Joergen...set at 10mm
                      > http://360vr.com/BWAC2007
                      >
                      > Here is an outdoor example set at 12mm:
                      > http://360vr.com/Newport10

                      This is beautifull!!!
                      Nice shot
                      congratulations Jook

                      Ayrton

> [...]
                      > > > - high image quality
                      > > > - less chromatic aberrations/color fringing
                      > > > - clarity
                      > > > - under 8 shots for a spherical panorama
                      > > >
                      > > > Please help me to choose between the following:
                      > > >
                      > > > Tokina Fisheye 10-17mm f/3.5-4.5 AT-X 107 DX
                      > > > Canon Fisheye EF 15mm f/2.8 Autofocus Lens
                      > > > Sigma Fisheye 15mm f/2.8 EX DG Diagonal Fisheye
                      > > > Autofocus
                      > > >
                      > > > A pro/cons feedback would be more than nice,
                      > > > as for now I'm not familiar with DSLR technology.
                      > > >
                      > > > looking forward to your replies,
                      > > > thank you!
                      > > >
                      > > > Laurentiu
                      > > > http://www.vrbrasov.ro/

                      > > Yahoo! oneSearch: Finally, mobile search
                      > > that gives answers, not web links.
                      > > http://mobile.yahoo.com/mobileweb/onesearch?refer=1ONXIC

                      > Jook Leung Photography
                      > 360VR Images - 360 degree Panoramic photography

                      AYRTON 21-9982.6313 www.ayrton.com
                      Ladeira de Nossa Senhora, 214 / sl. 101 www.vrfolio.com
                      Outeiro da Glória - RJ - 22211-100 - Brasil www.vr-images.com
                      Panoramas do Rio de Janeiro www.rio360.com.br
                    • Georgian Rusu
                      Message 10 of 15 , Oct 7, 2007
                        Hello Jook!

                        Impressive and beautiful panoramas.:-)
                        This is what i've been looking for, your work convinced me!
                        I'm looking forward to see your contribution to WWP and what Sigma can do in your hands.
                        I was impressed of Tokina from Michael Stoss's VR, but seemed to good to be true, no flaw. It took me almost a hole week of research and I'm back from where I've started: Tokina. :-))
                        Finally time for DSLR, I've been waiting for too long, even if my Powershot helped me do a nice job since now http://www.tvd.ro/rentvr/bellagio_villa/
                        Now I can provide faster and better quality.
                        As soon as I get the goodies I'll make a post.

                        Thank you all for yours kindly feedback!

                        Best regards,
                        Laurentiu

                        http://www.vrbrasov.ro/

                        Jook Leung <jook360@...> wrote: Hello Laurentiu,

                        I use the 5D with the Tokina107 most of the time now for my personal
                        work. You can see an indoor sample here, it so happens to include a
                        picture of Joergen...set at 10mm
                        http://360vr.com/BWAC2007

                        Here is an outdoor example set at 12mm:
                        http://360vr.com/Newport10

                        Both the Tokina107 and the Nikkor10.5 are unique in that they have
                        usable fov greater than 180. The Sigma 8/3.5 usable fov is 180 or less.

                        I shoot with the Canon 400D/XTi- Sigma 8/3.5 also and recently used
                        this combo for my WWP Sustenance contribution which goes live I think
                        on Monday.

                        For the 400D camera, I'd recommend the Sigma 8/3.5 if you want to do
                        spherical panos with 4 shots.

                        regards,
                        Jook

                      • Roger Berry
                        Message 11 of 15 , Oct 7, 2007
                          Here's a pano I just put together today, this was done with 4 shots
                          using a Canon 20D and Sigma 8mm 3.5 lens. It also took about 4 hours
                          working with it in PhotoShop. Shooting large animals this close up can
                          be a real pain when they are moving around! With the Canon 20D and
                          Sigma 8mm the shots just don't overlap as much as I would like, so now
                          I also have the Canon 5D and Nikon 10.5mm lens.
                          http://www.indiavrtours.com/jaipur/elephants_morning4.html

                          Roger Berry
                        • AYRTON - avi
                          Message 12 of 15 , Oct 7, 2007
                            Hi Roger
                            good morning

                            Nice shot, the elephant with his long nose close to the camera gives
                            us a very intersting view :-)

                            Would you mind share with us how you accomplish to add the button for
                            sound on the left corner of the VR ?!?

                            I know you're using FPP, is it the new 2.2 version ???
                            I've downloaded it today, but I'm not using it yet ...

                            Thanks for your reply

                            AYRTON

                            Message 13 of 15 , Oct 9, 2007
                              TOK user review http://fvlmedia.dk/tokina107/index.htm

                              Magazine review Sig8 http://tinyurl.com/2wsq3b

                              Remember, the Sig is at best at f5,6 and the Tok at f11
                              (that counts !)
                              Have Fun.
                              Frank
                              btw I have both.

                              Rusu Laurentiu wrote:

                              > Hello Jook!
                              >
                              > Impressive and beautiful panoramas.:-)
                              > This is what i've been looking for, your work convinced me!
                              > I'm looking forward to see your contribution to WWP and what Sigma can do
                              > in your hands.
                              > I was impressed of Tokina from Michael Stoss's VR, but seemed to good to
                              > be true, no flaw. It took me almost a hole week of research and I'm back
                              > from where I've started: Tokina. :-))
                              > Finally time for DSLR, I've been waiting for too long, even if my
                              > Powershot helped me do a nice job since now
                              > http://www.tvd.ro/rentvr/bellagio_villa/
                              > Now I can provide faster and better quality.
                              > As soon as I get the goodies I'll make a post.
                              >
                              > Thank you all for yours kindly feedback!
                              >
                              > Best regards,
                              > Laurentiu
                              >
                              > http://www.vrbrasov.ro/
                              >

                              > Jook Leung <jook360@...> wrote:
                              > Hello Laurentiu,
                              >
                              > I use the 5D with the Tokina107 most of the time now for my personal
                              > work. You can see an indoor sample here, it so happens to include a
                              > picture of Joergen...set at 10mm
                              > http://360vr.com/BWAC2007
                              >
                              > Here is an outdoor example set at 12mm:
                              > http://360vr.com/Newport10
                              >
                              > Both the Tokina107 and the Nikkor10.5 are unique in that they have
                              > usable fov greater than 180. The Sigma 8/3.5 usable fov is 180 or less.
                              >
                              > I shoot with the Canon 400D/XTi- Sigma 8/3.5 also and recently used
                              > this combo for my WWP Sustenance contribution which goes live I think
                              > on Monday.
                              >
                              > For the 400D camera, I'd recommend the Sigma 8/3.5 if you want to do
                              > spherical panos with 4 shots.
                              >
                              > regards,
                              > Jook

                            • Georgian Rusu
                              Message 14 of 15 , Oct 9, 2007
                                I've read anything I could find and seen any samples around.:-)
                                But your feedback as professional panoramic photographers count the most.
                                Both lens seems of good quality, but my perception is that Tokina has more clarity. F11 is fine, as I work with small aperture values.
                                Once more, I think ..I hope :-).. that I've made the right choice. The "damage" is done, I'll found soon what can I achieve with the new equipment.

                                Best regards,
                                Laurentiu

                                http://www.vrbrasov.ro/

                                Rusu Laurentiu wrote:

                                > Hello Jook!
                                >
                                > Impressive and beautiful panoramas.:-)
                                > This is what i've been looking for, your work convinced me!
                                > I'm looking forward to see your contribution to WWP and what Sigma can do
                                > in your hands.
                                > I was impressed of Tokina from Michael Stoss's VR, but seemed to good to
                                > be true, no flaw. It took me almost a hole week of research and I'm back
                                > from where I've started: Tokina. :-))
                                > Finally time for DSLR, I've been waiting for too long, even if my
                                > Powershot helped me do a nice job since now
                                > http://www.tvd.ro/rentvr/bellagio_villa/
                                > Now I can provide faster and better quality.
                                > As soon as I get the goodies I'll make a post.
                                >
                                > Thank you all for yours kindly feedback!
                                >
                                > Best regards,
                                > Laurentiu
                                >
                                > http://www.vrbrasov.ro/
                                >

                                > Jook Leung <jook360@...> wrote:
                                > Hello Laurentiu,
                                >
                                > I use the 5D with the Tokina107 most of the time now for my personal
                                > work. You can see an indoor sample here, it so happens to include a
                                > picture of Joergen...set at 10mm
                                > http://360vr.com/BWAC2007
                                >
                                > Here is an outdoor example set at 12mm:
                                > http://360vr.com/Newport10
                                >
                                > Both the Tokina107 and the Nikkor10.5 are unique in that they have
                                > usable fov greater than 180. The Sigma 8/3.5 usable fov is 180 or less.
                                >
                                > I shoot with the Canon 400D/XTi- Sigma 8/3.5 also and recently used
                                > this combo for my WWP Sustenance contribution which goes live I think
                                > on Monday.
                                >
                                > For the 400D camera, I'd recommend the Sigma 8/3.5 if you want to do
                                > spherical panos with 4 shots.
                                >
                                > regards,
                                > Jook

                              • Georgian Rusu
                                Message 15 of 15 , Oct 27, 2007
                                  Hello!

                                  I've just finished my first test. For a test I'm more than pleased with the results.
                                  http://www.tvd.ro/test/victoriei.by.night.mov
                                  Tokina overfulfilled my expectations.
                                  Thank you all again for your feedback.

                                  Best regards,