OT: Mac and Gamma question

  • Carel
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 4, 2007
      I am the proud & confused owner of a brand new MacBook Pro. One of the major
      confusions is what to do with the gamma setting. The mac default (out of the
      box) setting is "colorLCD" which gives a rather "bleached" and ever so
      slightly brownish image when viewing an image. When I switch to
      "colormatchRGB" or sRGB profile, the image looks more like one expects from
      a windows screen, but there is also a noticeable shift in color to blue. The
      screen is LED backlit, which I think has a slightly more complete spectrum
      than electroluminescent, so it should be possible to calibrate this screen
      to a descent setting. I am completely baffled that such a difference in
      gamma still exists between the mac and windows. Hans and Willie, how do you
      deal with this? Do you just ignore the 90% viewers who look at your panos on
      a windows box?
      After Googling the subject I found one remark about setting the gamma "Mac
      to Windows" or "Windows to Mac", but I cannot find that setting in the list
      of gamma setting choices.

      Carel Struycken
    • Hans Nyberg
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 4, 2007
        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Carel <cs@...> wrote:

        > I am the proud & confused owner of a brand new MacBook Pro. One of the major
        > confusions is what to do with the gamma setting. The mac default (out of the
        > box) setting is "colorLCD" which gives a rather "bleached" and ever so
        > slightly brownish image when viewing an image. When I switch to
        > "colormatchRGB" or sRGB profile, the image looks more like one expects from
        > a windows screen, but there is also a noticeable shift in color to blue. The
        > screen is LED backlit, which I think has a slightly more complete spectrum
        > than electroluminescent, so it should be possible to calibrate this screen
        > to a descent setting. I am completely baffled that such a difference in
        > gamma still exists between the mac and windows. Hans and Willie, how do you
        > deal with this? Do you just ignore the 90% viewers who look at your panos on
        > a windows box?
        > After Googling the subject I found one remark about setting the gamma "Mac
        > to Windows" or "Windows to Mac", but I cannot find that setting in the list
        > of gamma setting choices.

        Just open your Dispalys pref. Click the color settings and than calibrate.
        Book the expert mode and follow the instructions. I usually choose a gamma of 2 or 2.1
        and colortemperature of 6500.
        This will give you a very good calibration which looks good on both Win and Mac.

        I recently tried a Colorvision Spyder2 calibrator but found that the built in calibration I
        could do was much better.

        The new Led backlite screens may perhaps perform different. I never seen them.

        Hans
      • Keith Martin
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 4, 2007
          Sometime around 4/10/07 (at 15:21 +0000) Hans Nyberg said:

          >I recently tried a Colorvision Spyder2 calibrator but found that the
          >built in calibration I could do was much better.

          You may need to get the latest ColorVision software. I can say with
          absolute certainty that if it is functioning as designed there's
          simply no way that you could produce as precise a calibration and
          profile by eye as you would get with the Spyder or any other hardware
          profiling device.

          But if you had a version of the software that had issues with your
          screen type then it would do pretty poorly.

          As for gamma, if someone does mostly print-related work then a
          setting of 2 or 2.1 is arguably not ideal; 1.8 is better. But it
          could be an acceptable compromise for doing both screen and print
          work.