Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: PanoToolsNG on gmane

  • yuval levy
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 13 6:51 PM
      --- Carel Struycken <cs@...> wrote:

      > In the US at least, Nabble works a LOT faster than
      > Gmane.

      That's the web interface. I dislike web interfaces. I
      don't know if Nabble has an NNTP interface, but this
      is the way I use gmane:

      -Open Thunderbird
      - Menu > File > New > Account...
      - select Newsgroup account in the radio box and click
      next
      - enter your name and email address (those that you
      use as a subscriber of the group) and click next
      - enter news.gmane.org as news server and click next
      - give the account a name meaningful to you and click
      next
      - click finish

      then in the main firefox window
      - rightclick on the newly created account
      - select Subscribe... in the context menu
      - search for the group you want to read
      - subscribe

      this will download the message to your machine - much
      faster than any web based interface.

      you will read and reply with the interface you are
      used from emails. this also works with other modern
      mail client that integrate a news reader such as
      Outlook Express.

      > So for people on this side of the pond like Yuv,
      > Nabble seems to be a better choice.

      unless I am missing it completely, I have not seen any
      NNTP access to nabble. No matter how fast it is, no
      current web based interface will match the convenience
      of a local newsreader application. I can mark entire
      threads as read (when they are uninteresting) or flag
      them as important when there is something I want to
      learn and I do not have the time. And it keeps track
      for me of which messages I read and which not. Just
      like email.

      Yuv

      http://mail.yahoo.com